4Rules

Duh!

The difference is:

It's the same thing!
4Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:02   #22
SCmasterblaster

Not me

I use an old Bianchi No. 4/4L for OWB carry, and no holster for IWB carry.
Old 10-04-2012, 12:49   #23
fwm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaneA View Post
Could you explain the difference please? Other than having a little clip keeping it from sliding down your pants leg.
Thanks

A clip is tight and secures the gun in place on your pants or belt depending, on the model of clip. Keeps the gun from moving around in any direction.

In 'Mexican Carry', the gun is not secured at all, and can pop up and out, slide around, or as you mentioned, slide down your pants. If the gun slides down your pants, the trigger is no longer covered by the belt and as you reach to grab it, you can pull the trigger and have it go off. NOT a negligent accident you have using clip carry.

Again, I have heard of incidents where people using Mexican Carry have shot themselves, sometimes fatally.

I have NOT heard of any accidents in people using clip carry, only opinions of how unsafe it is.

As a side note, in the last 5 years or so, I have heard of three separate stories of men at gun ranges killing themselves when holstering their 1911 in shoulder holsters.

That indicates to me that 1911s and shoulder holsters are more dangerous than clip carry.

(I personally think 1911s are UNSAFE to use for SD. To be of any use a carry gun needs to be chambered. Chambering a 1911 cocks it. Now you need a safety to keep the gun from going off unpredictably. If the safety fails, 1911s have been known to fire. I personally know of two people that where shot in the leg by their 1911s that where holstered, cocked and the safety on. In one the safety was jarred off by the man running and it fired into his leg. In the other, the safety broke and the gun went off, severely injuring my friend. Gun smith verified his story.

True DAO guns aren't cocked and can't go off unless the trigger is pulled, and in most cases with the heavy trigger pulls they have, accidentally pulling it is unlikely. So to the (I suppose 1911 user) that thinks clip carriers are morons, I think SD 1911 carriers are morons. So there, I've said it.

(Just so you know where I am coming from, My first pistol was my uncles WWII army colt, given to me when I was 8 in 1956 to wear when working in the fields because of the bear and cougar in the area. So, yes, I know their virtues, but I don't hid my head in the sand over their vices either. There are MUCH safer designs if you want to SD carry. And some even use the 100 year old designed 45ACP as well.)

Last edited by fwm; 10-04-2012 at 12:52..
fwm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 13:53   #24
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernroe View Post
I realize there is no universal 'BEST' way to carry a concealed handgun. There are a lot of different factors that come into play such as but not limited to; size and shape of gun, size and shape of person, and type of clothing worn. That being said, I have found that for me the Clipdraw method is the most suitable. I have them installed on 3 J frames, a Glock 33 and Para Ord Carry 9. I have used them for over a year and never had a retention problem and they take up less space than a holster and are more comfortable.

Be Good,

Ernie
You can't be serious - this is Glock Talk: mainly a place for gun owners who are terrified of guns.

Last edited by Bren; 10-04-2012 at 13:53..
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 14:07   #25
4Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwm View Post
...To be of any use a carry gun needs to be chambered...
I've bought a lot of different holsters from a lot of different holster makers. They've all designed their holsters to protect the triggerguard and enable a safe carry condition - with a cartridge in the chamber - for the purpose of self-defense (and/or hunting).
Only Clipdraw would propose to sell a product designed to enable a customer to "carry" a firearm for self-defense with a MAJOR caveat like that.
4Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 17:34   #26
SJ 40

In a word No, nor will I ever. SJ 40
SJ 40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 20:35   #27
FireForged
Millenium #3936

I use one on a taurus 85 38special

Last edited by FireForged; 10-04-2012 at 20:35..
FireForged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:45   #28
NEOH212
Diesel Girl

If they are, I'm sure we will be reading about it in the news sooner or later...
Old 10-06-2012, 10:48   #29
sappy13

I have a clipdraw on my gen 4 glock 19 that sits beside my bed. I rarely use it for carry, I have other guns that are more concealable for that, but when I do I carry it i carry unchambered. Any other time I carry I carry chambered(stupid not to), but for this one case I wont. Its nice for taking the dog out at night or for a quick run to the store. I wouldnt recommend it by any means as a everyday means of carry.
sappy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:52   #30
Darkangel1846

Clip draw is fine as long as its not a glock with one in the pipe.....any DAO handgun is ok as long as it has a heaver trigger pull.(but you still have to be careful and think ahead.)
Old 10-07-2012, 11:06   #31
PhotoFeller

By the way, anyone who thinks of a ClipDraw as a flimsy, weak-clip device will be surprised at it's ability to securely hold a full size Glock. On my G19 and G22, the ClipDraw supports the weight and ably keeps the pistol in place.

I agree that a Glock with one in the chamber is probably not a good idea with ClipDraw carry unless a NY trigger is on board. Even with the NY, I'd be uneasy.
PhotoFeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 13:02   #32
Hamrhed
AKs & Glocks

Clipdraw and Vanguard2 are alright, but I prefer a Zack holster: basically a kydex trigger-guard cover that allows for Mexican carry

Last edited by Hamrhed; 10-07-2012 at 13:02..
Hamrhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 00:42   #33
Schlitz

>carrying a glock IWB held up by a small skinny clip
>carrying a glock IWB with this method - CHAMBERED
>this method isn't even a holster and doesn't cover the trigger at all
>glocks only external safety is ON THE TRIGGER

>some people on glock talk actually carry in public like this

>even worse - some thing it's a perfectly "safe" and good idea just because there aren't any news articles about ND's with the clip draw.

I don't need a damn news article to know a bad/stupid idea when I see one. I can think for myself. Carrying IWB without a holster/without anything at least covering the trigger ON A GLOCK is an accident waiting to happen. In a perfect world with a perfect scenario it'll never go off - we don't live in a perfect world and we carry because we know that we could never know what to expect when we leave the house.

Go buy a holster before you hurt yourself or even worse, someone else. I could never forgive myself if I had an accident in a public place and hit someone else or their family, especially if I was carrying in a reckless way that is even discouraged by the manufacturer of the carry method. (the clip draw in this example)

Last edited by Schlitz; 10-08-2012 at 00:43.. Reason: perfect world*
Schlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:05   #34
guitargene82
Taggin along...

I'm sure an iconic firearms expert such as let's say- Bill Jordan never meant to have an accident with a firearm, he obviously went years and years before having an accident. That being said, I can never be too careful, to me a clipdraw and an open trigger guard is not enough caution. But if it works for you, fine, just don't ask a question and get pissed when you get answers.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:36   #35
NH Trucker
Needs coffee...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there seems to be a lot more negligent discharges attributed to holsters than have been to a Clipdraw.

I have carried with one (Glock 23) and found no issue with it. As others have stated, between the waistband of the pants and a shirt tucked on the inside of the gun, or just the person's body, there is nothing that would get into the trigger guard. When I first started using it, I carried with an empty chamber. After a couple of months of nothing depressing the trigger, I felt it was safe to carry it chambered. Again, nothing happened in YEARS of carrying that way. I only switched to carrying with a Supertuck because of comfort.

Some of the comments to this thread seem to lack the ability to use their heads and come up with a simple answer to the question "What will get inside the trigger guard and pull the trigger?" If the answer is "Your finger," the person will shoot themself even with a holster.

If their concern is "something" while carrying in the 12 o'clock position, then that person and every woman they've ever been with have my deepest sympathies.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Last edited by NH Trucker; 10-08-2012 at 08:13..
NH Trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:47   #36
fwm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlitz View Post
I don't need a damn news article to know a bad/stupid idea when I see one. I can think for myself. Carrying IWB without a holster/without anything at least covering the trigger ON A GLOCK is an accident waiting to happen. In a perfect world with a perfect scenario it'll never go off - we don't live in a perfect world and we carry because we know that we could never know what to expect when we leave the house.
Using your logic.
Being 30,000 feet up up in the air is a stupid/bad idea. There is so much that can go wrong and you fall for 6 miles before impacting the earth. Despite the fact that reported incidences of crash show car travel is more dangerous, I will just never fly because it is a stupid idea.

If there are no reported incidences of ND with clip carry, then it is NOT as bad an idea as you perceive it to be, or there would be ND everywhere.

Just like flying, professionalism in equipment handling goes a long way towards safety.
Old 10-08-2012, 19:33   #37
SCmasterblaster

Nope. It's not for me and my G17.
Old 10-08-2012, 21:59   #38
Schlitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwm View Post
Using your logic.
Being 30,000 feet up up in the air is a stupid/bad idea. There is so much that can go wrong and you fall for 6 miles before impacting the earth. Despite the fact that reported incidences of crash show car travel is more dangerous, I will just never fly because it is a stupid idea.
What are you talking about? I'm not talking about flying - I'm talking about carrying a gun with no external safeties with a clip draw. Two completely different subjects.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:16   #39
hamster
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH Trucker View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but there seems to be a lot more negligent discharges attributed to holsters than have been to a Clipdraw.

I have carried with one (Glock 23) and found no issue with it. As others have stated, between the waistband of the pants and a shirt tucked on the inside of the gun, or just the person's body, there is nothing that would get into the trigger guard. When I first started using it, I carried with an empty chamber. After a couple of months of nothing depressing the trigger, I felt it was safe to carry it chambered. Again, nothing happened in YEARS of carrying that way. I only switched to carrying with a Supertuck because of comfort.

Some of the comments to this thread seem to lack the ability to use their heads and come up with a simple answer to the question "What will get inside the trigger guard and pull the trigger?" If the answer is "Your finger," the person will shoot themself even with a holster.

If their concern is "something" while carrying in the 12 o'clock position, then that person and every woman they've ever been with have my deepest sympathies.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
My personal concern would be with what you mentioned... The shirt catching the trigger as it comes untucked during the day.

There have been a number of instances of shirts, jacket strings etc getting into the trigger guard. Stretching caused enough tension to the shirt to pull the trigger.

Personally I'm super careful about re-holstering. I don't want any soft flexible material inside my "holster" by design. With a clipdraw you potentially have soft pants material/shirt/underpants or whatever riding alongside your trigger.

But to each his own I guess.
hamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 22:17   #40
Ernroe

As a follow up to my earlier post regarding carrying via the Clipdraw. 1. there will never be universal agreement on this issue. 2. It took me a long time to warm up to the Glock, it is Butt Ugly, not as accurate as my Para and BHP but accurate enough for self defense, ergonomically it does not measure up to the 1911, 3. It is inherently not safe because of the lack of external safeties. As the tenor of the responses to this thread make so clear and I agree. 4. Having said that, it is one of the most reliable out of the box pistols ever made and that is the bottom line.

So, in order to make it safe I have sent it off to have a manual safety installed. But, I fully plan to carry it with a Clipdraw. In my opinion, if a pistol is not safe when carrying with a Clipdraw I will sell it to someone with a holster.

Be Good,

Ernie
Ernroe is offline   Reply With Quote