GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-18-2012, 02:06   #21
noylj

All "bonded" bullets are plated. What? You think they glue the jacket on?
noylj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:02   #22
Boxerglocker
Jacks #1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiskyT View Post
Gold Dots are plated. It is a heavy plating, but they take a lead core and plate it with copper. Federal uses plated bullets for rifle loads as well. That is an even heavier plating. Most of the Federal rifle loads are not plated, but the "Fusion" line is.
Yup, GDs definitely heavy plating. Just take a knife to one and scrape it and you will see.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
BLUE Kool-aid drinking team member
Boxerglocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:35   #23
ron59
Bustin Caps

Then why do they use the term JACKET twice in that same paragraph?

I only quoted the one usage, but they also said:

"This virtually eliminates core-jacket separation"

Guess I always "assumed" that using the word JACKETED means it was jacketed, not plated.

But I did do a Google search, and see that everybody *is* saying it's a plated bullet. You would think someone in the bullet business would be able to use the appropriate terms appropriately.

Quote:
WTF?! How a cheap can an old, the old fart get?!
ron59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 19:07   #24
Ceapea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallahassee View Post

Alliant's website lists the max for a 124 gr gold dot as 5.8 grains of unique with an OAL of 1.12. Since I'm not getting any pressure signs yet, I'd like to increase the powder charge, but I'm nervous about going over the max in the Hornady manual. I'm thinking of trying the following:

124 grain Hornady FMJRN
5.2 grains unique
CCI 500 primer
1.15" OAL

Has anyone tried a similar recipe? I figure this should still be in the margin of safety since it's 90% of the powder charge listed on Alliant's site, with the same OAL that I've been using. How much of a difference would it make if I increased the OAL to 1.16"?

Thanks everyone.
I never checked their website, but that is my exact load! Both my G19 and G34 love it.
I agree, even this seems light. At least two of my load books go up to the low 6.?gr range. I loaded some up once, but they didn't work as well as 5.2gr Unique.
Ceapea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 00:03   #25
Tallahassee

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy1964 View Post
I run Berry's plated 124 RN with 4.8-5.0gr Unique and 1.15 OAL. Duplicates pretty well Gold Dot 124+P, might be a tad lighter but that's ok, I run a lot of them through. I've never chronoed them though.
Cool, good to hear. I was thinking about trying a similar load with a Berry's bullet. Glad it is working out so well for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceapea View Post
I never checked their website, but that is my exact load! Both my G19 and G34 love it.
I agree, even this seems light. At least two of my load books go up to the low 6.?gr range. I loaded some up once, but they didn't work as well as 5.2gr Unique.
Great to hear, thanks for the feedback.

It's been a busy few weeks for me, I haven't done any loading recently. I'm hoping to get some done this weekend and test them out early next week.
Tallahassee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 11:29   #26
Rich22

I would have to disagree with this statement, no disrespect intended just my observations. I carry the 124gr +p GD's and even at 5.8 unique at 1.15 oal with 124gr RN bullets the recoil is not as significant. In fact, it may be my recoil spring or since I have a G19C instead of a regular G19 but 4.8 will barely cycle the action. I however gave those to my wife who has a Sig P250 and they worked very well. When I tried her gun the recoil was minimal.

Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy1964 View Post
I run Berry's plated 124 RN with 4.8-5.0gr Unique and 1.15 OAL. Duplicates pretty well Gold Dot 124+P, might be a tad lighter but that's ok, I run a lot of them through. I've never chronoed them though.
Rich22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 14:49   #27
WiskyT
Malcontent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich22 View Post
I would have to disagree with this statement, no disrespect intended just my observations. I carry the 124gr +p GD's and even at 5.8 unique at 1.15 oal with 124gr RN bullets the recoil is not as significant. In fact, it may be my recoil spring or since I have a G19C instead of a regular G19 but 4.8 will barely cycle the action. I however gave those to my wife who has a Sig P250 and they worked very well. When I tried her gun the recoil was minimal.

Rich
5.8 will step out just a little faster, about 30fps, than the 124GDHP +P load. 4.8-5.0, not so much.

"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay
WiskyT is offline   Reply With Quote