Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-01-2012, 23:37   #1
wingspar

Gen 4 Grip Texture

I’m sure this has been discussed a lot, but since I’m not all that active on this forum, and I can’t really find it in a search, I’m wondering how the grip texture feels in the Gen 4's?

History. I own two Gen 3 G17's. I’ve had a Gen 3 G19 on order from the LGS for about 3 months. No rush, but I’ve been bugging them lately, so I get a call. Your gun is in. I get there, and it’s a Gen 3 G19, but it’s compensated. Not what I want, so they reorder.

Get phone call a week later. Gun is in. However, it is a Gen 4 G17. Good Grief. Since it was the first time I have ever seen a Gen 4 in person, I decided to handle it. Recoil spring was much easier to remove than my Gen 3 models, however, the texture on the grip feels like it could cause irritation to my hands when shooting.

Yesterday, I get phone call. Your gun is in. I ask, what is it? It’s a G19. I say, cool. Gen 4 or Gen 3? (Remember, I had ordered a Gen 3). He says Gen 4. Three months, three guns, and they still don’t have it right. So I say, order Gen 3. I might come by and look at the Gen 4, but if you sell it, fine.

So, my question is, how does the grip texture on the Gen 4's affect the skin on shooters hands?

Last edited by wingspar; 10-01-2012 at 23:37..
wingspar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 23:48   #2
MrTuna

I prefer it to the Gen 3 texture. I like a strong texture on my grips even my Sig P226 has Houge G10 extreme grips on them. It will definitely not tear up your hands if you have a tight enough grip on it. I only bought Gen 4 for the grips. I prefer the single recoil spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-02-2012, 08:14   #3
xrmattaz

I really like the texture on the Gen 4 grip!

All of my Glocks will eventually be Gen 4's!
G17Gen4,G19,20SF,21SF,21Gen4,23Gen2,38,39
xrmattaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:33   #4
c.helm

I much prefer the gen 4 grip too. You know your holding something, the gen 3's are too smooth IMO.
The rougher texture is good if you have working hands.
c.helm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:42   #5
scccdoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingspar View Post
Iím sure this has been discussed a lot, but since Iím not all that active on this forum, and I canít really find it in a search, Iím wondering how the grip texture feels in the Gen 4's?

History. I own two Gen 3 G17's. Iíve had a Gen 3 G19 on order from the LGS for about 3 months. No rush, but Iíve been bugging them lately, so I get a call. Your gun is in. I get there, and itís a Gen 3 G19, but itís compensated. Not what I want, so they reorder.

Get phone call a week later. Gun is in. However, it is a Gen 4 G17. Good Grief. Since it was the first time I have ever seen a Gen 4 in person, I decided to handle it. Recoil spring was much easier to remove than my Gen 3 models, however, the texture on the grip feels like it could cause irritation to my hands when shooting.

Yesterday, I get phone call. Your gun is in. I ask, what is it? Itís a G19. I say, cool. Gen 4 or Gen 3? (Remember, I had ordered a Gen 3). He says Gen 4. Three months, three guns, and they still donít have it right. So I say, order Gen 3. I might come by and look at the Gen 4, but if you sell it, fine.

So, my question is, how does the grip texture on the Gen 4's affect the skin on shooters hands?
I guess it depends on your hands. Are they soft or callused? I'm a dentist, and the G4 grip irritated my hand but I loved the gun(s),a 22 and 27. I put a pachmayr grip on both and solved the problem for about 10 bucks a piece........................ DOC
scccdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:33   #6
wingspar

Thanks for the feedback. Seems like the consensus is favorable for the Gen 4 grips. Iím sure Glock did a lot of research before coming out with them on the Gen 4's, and the RTF guns must have been part of that process. Never held one of those tho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scccdoc View Post
I guess it depends on your hands. Are they soft or callused? I'm a dentist, and the G4 grip irritated my hand but I loved the gun(s),a 22 and 27. I put a pachmayr grip on both and solved the problem for about 10 bucks a piece........................ DOC
Thanks. Thatís the kind of feedback Iím looking for. Iím retired and my strong hand has been irritated by grip texture once by a gun I donít shoot much, but the G19 is a gun I will shoot a lot, and may even consider carrying it.

I would agree that the grips on the Gen 3's are smooth, maybe too smooth for some, but work fine for me.

I knew many would like the Gen 4 grips, but Iím sure there have to be more out there that find the texture too rough. Also, I understand this is a very personal opinion as everyone has different hands and different sensitivity to the grip texture, but I was looking for a general opinion. Iím probably going to go look at the gun today and wanted some feedback. Personally, the Gen 4 grip texture feels like it would irritate the skin when shooting, but there really is no way of actually knowing without shooting it, and unfortunately, I canít do that without buying.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:43   #7
scccdoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingspar View Post
Thanks for the feedback. Seems like the consensus is favorable for the Gen 4 grips. Iím sure Glock did a lot of research before coming out with them on the Gen 4's, and the RTF guns must have been part of that process. Never held one of those tho.

Thanks. Thatís the kind of feedback Iím looking for. Iím retired and my strong hand has been irritated by grip texture once by a gun I donít shoot much, but the G19 is a gun I will shoot a lot, and may even consider carrying it.

I would agree that the grips on the Gen 3's are smooth, maybe too smooth for some, but work fine for me.

I knew many would like the Gen 4 grips, but Iím sure there have to be more out there that find the texture too rough. Also, I understand this is a very personal opinion as everyone has different hands and different sensitivity to the grip texture, but I was looking for a general opinion. Iím probably going to go look at the gun today and wanted some feedback. Personally, the Gen 4 grip texture feels like it would irritate the skin when shooting, but there really is no way of actually knowing without shooting it, and unfortunately, I canít do that without buying.
Wipe the "pach" down with a damp cloth, and it gets a "tacky" feel to it. It enhances my grip w/out squeezing, hence, better accuracy................DOC
scccdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 14:57   #8
skyboss_4evr

I love the gen4 grip.
Old 10-02-2012, 15:24   #9
TRX450R_Racer
Punisher

I don't like the Gen4 grip. It felt good in my hand, but I didn't like it when I was shooting it.
TRX450R_Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 19:19   #10
wingspar

Should have made this a poll. 4 likes and 2 dislikes so far. Didnít go to the LGS today, but probably will tomorrow. Will I bring the Gen 4 home or wait for them to get a Gen 3 in. The Gen 4 texture does feel like it would irritate my hands. Be nice if I could shoot it first. Keep the opinions coming.
Old 10-02-2012, 19:28   #11
Black&TAN

RTF tore me up a little when I shot it, I don't own one. However, the less pronounced texture of the Gen4 is a good compromise between the RTF and Gen3 textures, aggressive enough, particularly for those interested in anything north of .40 cal.

sent via Tapatalk

Last edited by Black&TAN; 10-02-2012 at 19:31..
Black&TAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 19:30   #12
TRX450R_Racer
Punisher

I think if you don't like holding it you definitely won't like shooting it.
Old 10-02-2012, 20:04   #13
skyboss_4evr

I really don't get not liking the gen4 texture. I have soft hands and don't find it uncomfortable at all, even carried IWB with no undershirt.
Old 10-02-2012, 20:09   #14
avenues165

I prefer the Gen 4 grip to the Gen 3 grip.
avenues165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 20:14   #15
Walk Soft

How soft can your hands be? I do a lot of shooting with Gen 4s and have never thought they were too abrasive.I actually put standard grip tape on my G26 Gen 4 because it's still too smooth/slick when shooting +P in the summer.
Walk Soft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 20:15   #16
WinterWizard

I love the gen 4 texture. I wish it was even MORE aggressive.
WinterWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:02   #17
wingspar

So far, 9 likes and 2 dislikes for the Gen 4 grip texture. Iíll probably make a decision to buy it or wait for Gen 3 today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRX450R_Racer View Post
I think if you don't like holding it you definitely won't like shooting it.
Thatís my thinking, however, I think Iíll go look at it today and fondle it a little more. I am tempted to go ahead and get it. I really donít want to put a Hogue grip on it as that thickens the grip and kind of defeats the purpose of having a smaller grip than the G17, and the gun is really for my other half cause the G19 frame doesnít hurt her arthritic hands like my G17's do when shooting, but I do plan on shooting it a lot myself, and even considering seeing how it works for CCW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walk Soft View Post
How soft can your hands be? I do a lot of shooting with Gen 4s and have never thought they were too abrasive.I actually put standard grip tape on my G26 Gen 4 because it's still too smooth/slick when shooting +P in the summer.
Well, I guess my 66 year old computer hands might not be as tough as they used to be. Iíve had grip irritation before, and it takes the fun out of shooting the gun. If I buy it and find the grip texture is too much, I could sell it in a heart beat, as the Gen 4's are in very short supply here. They are a very small store, and they didnít even think there was much of a chance of even getting a Gen 4 in. I was surprised they actually got one in.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:00   #18
Skipper49

Put me down as really liking the Gen4 grip. I have several 3's and 4's, and used to have a Gen1. The 4 is my favorite.(I'm an Optician, and OLD) !

Skip
Skipper49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:25   #19
TRX450R_Racer
Punisher

One more thing is it feels to me like the grip angle is slightly different. I have very small hands and thought the smaller grip would be perfect. I shot it with no backstrap and with the smaller one. Neither one felt as good as a gen3. Also my fingers just didn't fall in the right places like a gen3.

Last edited by TRX450R_Racer; 10-03-2012 at 11:27..
Old 10-03-2012, 12:21   #20
xrmattaz

I have huge, but girly respiratory therapist hands.

No discomfort whatsoever during extended shooting of my Gen 4's.
G17Gen4,G19,20SF,21SF,21Gen4,23Gen2,38,39
xrmattaz is offline   Reply With Quote