Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-01-2012, 23:52   #1
verrot

Gen 2 mags no likey my Gen 3 lower.

Dipped into my "box -o- mags" yesterday before heading to the range for some practice. Midway through the session I slapped a new mag into my G3 G17 (2003), thumbed the slide release,,, and "Click"??? WTH,,, that NEVER happens.

I hit the mag release and the mag didn't fall out into my left hand. I stood there for a couple seconds looking at my empty left hand thinking WTH!?!?! that NEVER happens either!?!?!?

I removed the mag with my left thumb/forefinger, then I locked the slide back and found no round chambered, and nothing ejected when I racked the slide back. I picked up the mag and inserted it into my Gen3,,,, it didn't feel right,,, so I tried to release the mag,,, again it didn't come out. Looking closely at the mag,,, I noticed it's one of my old Gen 2 OEM's. I didn't pay attention,, but I accidentally grabbed one of my old Gen 2 mags out of the box.

All my research says that they should work no problem. But neither of my Gen 2 (1992) G17 OEM mags will lock into my Gen 3 2003 lower?. They work perfectly in the Gen 2 lower,,, and they drop free perfectly. I have Gen 4 mags as well,,, and they seem to work great in the Gen 2 lower just as all of my Gen 3 mags have,,, but it's a no-go for both my OEM Gen 2 mags in the Gen 3 lower??? I do have Glock extended mag releases in both guns,,, but I don't think that should cause me any issues since I have them in both guns.

It feels like the mag needs to go up another smidge to click into place when inserting the mag,,, AND the round didn't chamber because the mag was sitting too low in the lower,,, so the slide missed it on the way by.

Anyone else had this problem with cross-gen mags at all?? I'm gonna have to paint these bad boys day glow orange so I don't grab them by accident again.
verrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:38   #2
DannyR

Do you have the correct base on the older magazines?
Bull Dawg #1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
DannyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:07   #3
cadillacguns

Non Drop Free mag(s) eh?
GLOCKS #1 FAN!!!

"IN GLOCK WE TRUST"
cadillacguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:04   #4
t4terrific

The frame?
t4terrific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 16:03   #5
Queen Bee

Since im in a pre ban "Magazine" state i have about 6 g19 U notch mags and 2 u notch 33 rd'ers, all function flawlessly in all my gen 3 glocks, the gen 4 17 i had the 33 rd mags didn't work well.
Queen Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 17:21   #6
verrot

Found the culprit.... Iím a dolt, bottom line. I run JP mag wells in both my G17ís. Iím so accustomed to them that I donít even consider them when thinking about OEM vs. aftermarket stuff Iíve installed. (Bad thing when troubleshooting problems)

I grabbed my mic and started measuring things between the Gen 2 and Gen 3 mags. They are VERY different,,, Iím a bit surprised they work at all. The base plates are a different contour on the edge,,, but they mic out the same overall size etc. The mag release notch on the mags is WAY different, as is the overall height of the magazine. Anyway,,, I removed the mag well from the Gen 3 frame and the Gen 2 mags would then catch the mag release. The JP mag well had no ill effect to my Gen2 with any Gen mag,,, but the well on the Gen 3 was stopping the Gen 2 mags from getting into the frame far enough for the mag release catch to engage the slot in the mag.

Totally my fault,,, troubleshooting 101,,, ďwhat did you touchĒ.... I know better,,, sorry I posted before checking into this further on my own.

Quote:
Do you have the correct base on the older magazines?
I have the OEM base plates on the Gen 2 mags,,,, is one supposed to change them out for the new Gen base plates to run in the newer Gen guns??? I did notice they are shaped quite differently,,, but they mic out exactly the same.

Again,, thanks to all,,, sorry for the premature posting.
Old 10-02-2012, 20:19   #7
LampShadeActual

The non-drop free mags, for use in a standard Glock, use a base plate that is a tapered wedge and fits right up into the well tightly. If you put a newer squared base on them, they will not enter the mag well.

If the mag has the old big U, it needs the tapered wedge type base plate.
LampShadeActual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 22:36   #8
verrot

Quote:
If you put a newer squared base on them, they will not enter the mag well.
My Gen 2 mags have the tapered base plates and work in both Gens 2 and 3 that I own. (if the JP mag well is removed)

All Gen 3 and Gen 4 mags that I own have the square edge base plates, and work in both Gen2 and Gen3 lowers with the JP mag well installed.

Thanks again for the help everyone.
Old 11-02-2012, 05:33   #9
rosco9

I picked up my new in box Gen 3 Glock23 last night...the gun is totally untouched from the factory. I took it home and first thing i did was try my 4 Gen 2 ('drop free') pre ban magazines.

All 4 magazines push into the lower, with a little drag/resistance and lock into the mag release just fine. However when i push/engage the magazine release the magazines need to be physically pulled out/they do not release/drop free.

Please note these same 4 pre ban magazines work as intended/drop free from my Glock27.

Help ... i have not heard of such trouble here on the forum?? This post is the closest i have found...
rosco9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 05:57   #10
rosco9

UPDATE .. just tried a Gen 2 pre ban Glock 19 (9mm) magazine and it functions as expected/drops free in the Gen 3 Glock 27 (.40) frame

the G23 preban mags feels like there is some interfearance between the magazine and frame...HELP??
rosco9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:00   #11
lethal tupperwa

I run JP mag wells in both my G17’s.

once again "add improved parts until it won't work"

----------------------------------------

GLOCK CERTIFIED ARMORER
lethal tupperwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 13:08   #12
fastbolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by lethal tupperwa View Post

once again "add improved parts until it won't work"

I like that.

Ought to be listed right up there with the old saying, "Fix it till it's broken".
Sub Club #9; .40 S&W Club #1953; S&W Club #3913
Retired LE - firearms instructor/armorer
fastbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 14:14   #13
SCmasterblaster

My Gen 2 mags work fine in my G3 G17.
Old 11-02-2012, 14:54   #14
lethal tupperwa

mb

what kind of mag well did you add to yours?

If none, maybe that is why it still works.

----------------------------------------

GLOCK CERTIFIED ARMORER
lethal tupperwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:31   #15
Robc1219

What about the other way? Will Gen3 mags work fine in a G19 gen 2? I'm looking at a friends Gen 2. I assume it will work?
Robc1219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:25   #16
clarkz71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robc1219 View Post
What about the other way? Will Gen3 mags work fine in a G19 gen 2? I'm looking at a friends Gen 2. I assume it will work?
My Gen 4 mags work fine in my early (89) G19.
G23 gen3 .40/.357 Sig
Florida Glocker #1923
clarkz71 is online now   Reply With Quote