SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-02-2012, 08:06   #1
mrstrau

New Siaga or stuff for my rifles..

Hey all,

I'm considering buying a siaga in 7.62, due to the upcoming election. I think that there is a strong chance Obama will take the election, and if he does we may have to deal with some gun control issues for the next 4 years.

My question is this. I'm a college student: aka, I'm broke. I do, however, have some (extra) money coming in this month and next. There is a good quality siaga chambered in 7.62x39 at my local shop for about $650. I just recently paid for my first pistol, a gen 4 G23, which I can't pick up until my permit comes in (I live in the people's republic of New York). Should I buy stuff for the guns I have now (sights, flashlights, mounts, slings, etc,) or should I grab a siaga before election? I think that if an assault weapons ban is put in place, they are either going to be very difficult to find or very expensive.

I have a WASR 10 now, with a US palm/Midwest industries forend, with a Surefire G2x tactical and viking tactical weapons mount. I also have a magpul angled foregrip and a magpul MS3 sling on it. My last editions will be a Kreb's custom rear aperture sight, and some gunsmithing work to fix the front sight post cant.

I also have a mossberg 500, and aside from a houge stock the gun is factory. I want new sights, a sling, and a tac light for the mossberg as well.

My third gun is a ruger 10/22 which is totally stock.

I am also fairly low on ammo...and although I paid for my glock I have no holster, ammo or mag carrier for it.

A ton of stuff to buy and not enough money or time....what do you guys think?
Thanks for the feed back,

mrstrau
Old 11-02-2012, 08:16   #2
WASRfan

If you have $650.00 to burn, go for the gold - hi-capped, thick "RPK" rcvr, one of Century's best offerings ever;

http://www.classicfirearms.com/long-guns/yugom70ab2

ETA - nevermind - your in NY. Shop around for a SAIGA, can't believe that they have gotten so expensive.

Last edited by WASRfan; 11-02-2012 at 08:19..
WASRfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:23   #3
mrstrau

Quote:
Originally Posted by WASRfan View Post
If you have $650.00 to burn, go for the gold - hi-capped, thick "RPK" rcvr, one of Century's best offerings ever;

http://www.classicfirearms.com/long-guns/yugom70ab2

ETA - nevermind - your in NY. Shop around for a SAIGA, can't believe that they have gotten so expensive.

Yeah man...it's crazy as hell. They are decent rifles of course...but $650 is still alot. You say go for the Siaga tho? I suppose that most gun accessories won't be outlawed if we see Obama re-elected..
Old 11-02-2012, 13:27   #4
leadslinger13

As a saiga owner I would say go with the saiga but it seems saigas are getting harder to find. Centerfire systems har Veprs for 499 right now. Its an upgraded ak cant go wrong

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
"Life shouldn't be a journey to the grave arriving in an attractive well preserved body, better to skid in sideways, cigar in one hand, favorite beverage in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, screaming WAA HOO - What a Ride!"

Last edited by leadslinger13; 11-02-2012 at 13:29..
leadslinger13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 14:49   #5
Navitimer

I'm certainly no political expert, but even if BO wins another term, it sounds like the Republicans will keep the house. Accordingly I think the chances are pretty good that an AWB wouldn't be politically popular for congress, regardless if BO pushes it. Regardless - I'D GET A SAIGA!! I have two in 7.62x39 and doing Saiga conversions are fun projects that a) don't take that long to do and b) allow you to make an AK exactly the way you want it. I'm having a fit to do a third one in .308 as I've really gotten into semi-auto .308s lately. Please keep us posted on what you decide to do!
Navitimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 19:27   #6
glockenturm

Wait, I thought Obama was president the past four years. What will change?

You live in an AWB state. If the 94 AWB comes back, you will not notice a change. I, living in Texas, would suffer again.

Shoulda got a 9mm instead of .40.

Old 11-03-2012, 21:20   #7
mjkeat

A Saiga for $650? Was I frozen then brought back to life a thousand years later?
mjkeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 15:00   #8
mrstrau

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
A Saiga for $650? Was I frozen then brought back to life a thousand years later?
No you were frozen for a mere 30 seconds and then brought to New York. Not a gun friendly state. Funny how supply and demand works :/
Old 11-07-2012, 15:09   #9
mrstrau

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockenturm View Post
Wait, I thought Obama was president the past four years. What will change?

You live in an AWB state. If the 94 AWB comes back, you will not notice a change. I, living in Texas, would suffer again.

Shoulda got a 9mm instead of .40.

Why do you say I should have went for a 9mm?
Just curious
Old 11-07-2012, 18:47   #10
mjkeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstrau View Post
No you were frozen for a mere 30 seconds and then brought to New York. Not a gun friendly state. Funny how supply and demand works :/
So what does it take to make one N.Y. legal? It must take an overly large amount of modifications and work because @ $650 thats double what they can be purchased for.

9mm less expensive & more manageable (faster/more accurate).
Old 11-07-2012, 20:00   #11
mrstrau

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
So what does it take to make one N.Y. legal? It must take an overly large amount of modifications and work because @ $650 thats double what they can be purchased for.

9mm less expensive & more manageable (faster/more accurate).
I believe they come into the US in parts, and have to be partially manufactured here to be NY compliant. They also can't have any sort of flash suppressor on them..and magazines can't be over a 10 round capacity (unless the mag was made before 1994, when the AWB was put in place..doesn't make sense to me...).

Structurally, I don't think much has to be done. Its just an evil black rifle in a not-so-friendly gun state. **** sucks.

And to the .40 vs 9mm comment...I don't really find that .40 is too difficult for me to shoot. It may be my first pistol, but that's just because of the ****ty permit process here in Dutchess County NY; you have to jump through a ton of hoops to get the permit (been waiting a year, still no word, no criminal record). I've had plenty of experience in 9 mil and .40.

And, from what I see online, the 9 mil is only about 50 or 60 bucks cheaper per 1,000 round. That's really not much more cost effective to me than the .40...plus I want to make sure IF I have to shoot someone, they go down...
Old 11-07-2012, 20:42   #12
mjkeat

Magazine type shouldn't effect the price of the firearm. Saigas do not come w/ a flash hider.

I didn't say .40 was difficult. I said 9mm was more controllable. $50 to$60 is a huge difference if you shoot enough to become adequately proficient w/ your firearm.

Bullet technology has bridged the gap. Look into it. Trust but verify.
Old 11-12-2012, 21:04   #13
tchick

Get the Saiga. J&G sales has converted Saigas for $599.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
tchick is offline   Reply With Quote