SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-21-2012, 13:26   #41
Andrew Wiggin

Off topic.

A whole mess o' 10mm (and a few other caliber) ballistic tests here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by Andrew Wiggin; 11-14-2012 at 11:28..
Andrew Wiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 15:53   #42
Andrew Wiggin

200 gr XTP:

BB calibration: 602 fps, 3.75"

Bullet #1
Retained weight: 182.3 gr
Max expansion: 0.683"
Min expansion: 0.622"

Bullet #2
Retained weight: 187.8 gr
Max expansion: 0.690"
Min expansion: 0.601"

10mm Reloading Forum

10mm Reloading Forum

10mm Reloading Forum

10mm Reloading Forum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by Andrew Wiggin; 11-14-2012 at 12:10..
Old 10-21-2012, 17:18   #43
Andrew Wiggin

180 gr Buffalo Bore:

BB calibration: 597 fps, 3.25"

Retained weight: 167.8 gr
Max expansion: 0.734"
Min expansion: 0.670"

10mm Reloading Forum

10mm Reloading Forum

10mm Reloading Forum

10mm Reloading Forum

Last edited by Andrew Wiggin; 11-14-2012 at 12:24..
Old 10-29-2012, 13:11   #44
Andrew Wiggin

I retested the 200 gr XTP at a lower velocity and with the addition of denim. Good news: it goes plenty deep at this velocity when fired through denim. Bad news: it REALLY doesn't want to expand. All three shots failed to expand and only one came to a rest inside the gelatin. Unfortunately, because of this and because one of the Gold Dots left the side of the block, both blocks had been shot up pretty badly and really didn't give the opportunity to take any good pictures.

200 gr XTP @ 1,037 fps:

10mm Reloading Forum

10mm Reloading Forum

180 gr Gold Dot @ 1,317 fps:

10mm Reloading Forum

10mm Reloading Forum

Next up: 65 gr Sierra Game King hand load and 75 gr Prvi Partisan BTHP. Both from 11.5" AR. Unless I get distracted by something shiny.

Old 10-29-2012, 14:49   #45
nickE10mm
F.S.F.O.S.

Send a message via AIM to nickE10mm Send a message via MSN to nickE10mm Send a message via Yahoo to nickE10mm
Excellent info, Andrew!! I'll be looking through all of this again later tonight....
10 Ring #1033 - Longslide #1045 - 10mm Loader #1066

Why do I carry a 10mm?
“Because a 9mm only kills your body… the 10mm kills your soul.”
nickE10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 23:38   #46
Andrew Wiggin

CORBON 180 gr bonded core soft point:

BB calibration: 603.5 fps, 3.75"

All except the first shot passed completely through both blocks and failed to stop in a jug. The first shot stopped in the first jug. The blocks are 28" together and the jug was about 4" thick. That tells me the actual penetration ought to be more than 28" but less than 30".

Shot #1:

Impact velocity: 1,228 fps
Penetration: >28"
TSC: ~1.75"
Retained weight: 179.9 gr

Shot #2:

1,198 fps

Shot #3:

1,212 fps

Shot #4:

1,194 fps

10mm Reloading Forum

10mm Reloading Forum

10mm Reloading Forum

(disregard the shot in the center of the following pic, it's from a rifle)
10mm Reloading Forum

10mm Reloading Forum

Last edited by Andrew Wiggin; 11-14-2012 at 12:36..
Old 11-14-2012, 13:20   #47
MakeMineA10mm
Lifetime Membership
300AAC brass

Great thread. I've stickied it, because terminal ballistics are as important a piece of studying 10mm Reloading as internal and external ballistics, and Andrew has really kicked this off with an excellent series of work here. I've been planning to do my own gel tests, but something always gets in the way. Andrew has inspired me, and I hope to add my own tests here in the future, as well as seeing others' do so.

Looking for: FBI 100yr, Bell Helo, FOP Lodge1, Kiowa Warrior, SCI, and any new/unknown-to-me commemoratives.
MakeMineA10mm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 13:33   #48
Andrew Wiggin

Thank you, sir. I've cleaned up the posts a bit and replaced the hi-res images with smaller ones to speed up the page loading. I still have all the images and videos so if someone wants to see something particular, let me know and I'll post a link to a higher resolution image. I'm still experimenting with the best way to photograph the wound tracks.

Old 11-14-2012, 19:08   #49
nickE10mm
F.S.F.O.S.

Send a message via AIM to nickE10mm Send a message via MSN to nickE10mm Send a message via Yahoo to nickE10mm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Wiggin View Post
Thank you, sir. I've cleaned up the posts a bit and replaced the hi-res images with smaller ones to speed up the page loading. I still have all the images and videos so if someone wants to see something particular, let me know and I'll post a link to a higher resolution image. I'm still experimenting with the best way to photograph the wound tracks.
Andrew.... what I PERSONALLY would like is this:

You show the shots and the results and that is crucial and most important... HOWEVER.... I would also like to see your comments and opinions on each of the tests since YOU are seeing them FIRSTHAND, ie.. the wound tracks and overall OOMPH of each bullet and velocity on the gel / media. Sure, I can watch your video and check the wound tracks from your pics but YOU were there firsthand and could probably add comments like "wow, this had an impressive wound channel as I suspected / didn't suspect... It really shines at 1350 vs 1150fps" or.... "I don't see much of a difference in ANY of the wound tracks" etc etc ....

Because, as the tester, your opinion counts as extra credit!
10 Ring #1033 - Longslide #1045 - 10mm Loader #1066

Why do I carry a 10mm?
“Because a 9mm only kills your body… the 10mm kills your soul.”
nickE10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:23   #50
Andrew Wiggin

Old 11-19-2012, 21:52   #51
domestique

Some great info,

Thank you sir for your hard work.

Any chance of getting 135 grain Nosler, and 200 grain WFNGC data?
domestique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 22:08   #52
Andrew Wiggin

A user on another forum sent me some 220 gr Underwood hard cast to test but that's not going to happen until I can set up my gelatin for WAY more penetration. I'll probably use about 6"-8" pipe or concrete mold to do it but I'll need several FEET of it.

I'd like to do some 135 gr Nosler some day but I gotta say it's not going to penetrate anywhere near far enough to be suitable for defense. I'm sure it'll be an impressive bomb but #8 birdshot makes a really nasty wound too. It just doesn't go anywhere near deep enough to reliably stop threats.

Old 11-20-2012, 12:43   #53
MakeMineA10mm
Lifetime Membership
300AAC brass

Andrew, your comment brings up the biggest obstacle I've run into, which is a decent form to use as a mold for the gel. I like something square (or at least with a flat bottom) so it doesn't roll off or need propped on the table. I like the plastic boxes you used. I bought a dozen when they were on sale years ago, and use them to keep reloading projects organized and separated, but they impress me as being a little too thin, top to bottom. Are they about 4-5" tall?

I'd like to find something that is square, about 10"(h) x 10"(w) x 20" (Long), preferrably plastic, and with a handle and a lid...

Any ideas?

Looking for: FBI 100yr, Bell Helo, FOP Lodge1, Kiowa Warrior, SCI, and any new/unknown-to-me commemoratives.
MakeMineA10mm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 14:12   #54
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakeMineA10mm View Post
Andrew, your comment brings up the biggest obstacle I've run into, which is a decent form to use as a mold for the gel. I like something square (or at least with a flat bottom) so it doesn't roll off or need propped on the table. I like the plastic boxes you used. I bought a dozen when they were on sale years ago, and use them to keep reloading projects organized and separated, but they impress me as being a little too thin, top to bottom. Are they about 4-5" tall?

I'd like to find something that is square, about 10"(h) x 10"(w) x 20" (Long), preferrably plastic, and with a handle and a lid...

Any ideas?
Ziplock made some containers that were 10x10x6. They were the best thing I could find at the time. Had lids. Had sides that wasn't exactly vertical. Has a slightly concaved bottom.

I could pop them out and lay them on their sides giving me a 10x10 surface to shoot at. Then by only being 6 inches deep, I could get to the bullet without cutting up the entire block.

The I would rearrange them so I had fresh gel to shoot and if something over penetrated I had a way of catching it.
Old 11-20-2012, 18:33   #55
Andrew Wiggin

Best I can say is to go to Walmart and look at their vast array of Rubbermaid and Sterlite tubs. If I do the concrete mold route, I'll just put a couple phone books on the table to keep the "block" from rolling off. I'll tape the bottom off really well with duct tape and stick a trash bag in, then pour the gelatin into the bag. I'll probably only do this method rarely because I anticipate losing quite a bit of gelatin from the folds in the bag. I'm sure it will be messy and a PITA.

Old 11-20-2012, 19:49   #56
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Wiggin View Post
Best I can say is to go to Walmart and look at their vast array of Rubbermaid and Sterlite tubs. If I do the concrete mold route, I'll just put a couple phone books on the table to keep the "block" from rolling off. I'll tape the bottom off really well with duct tape and stick a trash bag in, then pour the gelatin into the bag. I'll probably only do this method rarely because I anticipate losing quite a bit of gelatin from the folds in the bag. I'm sure it will be messy and a PITA.
You may have an idea there. I have rubber made tubs. If I line the rub with a garbage bag.....I could seal up my gel. Heck, I could use a backpack for an interesting shape.
Old 11-20-2012, 21:34   #57
Andrew Wiggin

I use el cheapo Sterlite tubs. I actually don't need any trash bag or anything. The inside is very smooth and releases pretty easily. The big thing is to let them cool, covered, to room temperature while stirring the condensed water back into the gel once or twice an hour. Otherwise you lose a lot of water to evaporation.

Old 11-29-2012, 21:43   #58
Andrew Wiggin

Tested Hornady 165 gr Critical Defense and Precision Cartridge 180 gr Golden Saber today. I'll probably post the pics and video as well as bullet measurements tomorrow if I get a chance to melt the blocks down but here are the numbers from today's test:

BB calibration: 599.3 fps, 3.6"

10mm Hornady Critical Defense 165 gr

Velocity, penetration

1,135 fps, 12.6"
1,148 fps, 12.2"
1,148 fps, 12.8"
1,144 fps, 12.7"

BB calibration: 594.0 fps, 3.75"

Precision Cartridge 180 gr Golden Saber:

Velocity, penetration

1,161 fps, 13.8"
1,150 fps, (this one actually angled up a bit and left one block, then left a small mark where it hit the second block and I couldn't find it)
1,162 fps, 13.8"
1,139 fps, 13.7"

Old 11-30-2012, 13:21   #59
Andrew Wiggin

Old 12-07-2012, 14:17   #60
Andrew Wiggin