SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-06-2012, 13:40   #1
wvboy

AR greenhorn

Hey Mas,
First, let me say thanks in advance for your help. Whenever I look at the forums, yours always has more viewers than the others, and with good reason.
I know this isn't the AR forum, but I need advice. I'm entering the AR market from the self defense, Katrina scenario perspective. I'm currently liking (for my preferences and budget) a Stag Arms Model 3 in 5.56/.223. It has a 1:9 twist rate. What bullet weights would you suggest to go with this rate based on your experiences? Or would it be better for me to go with something else? I plan on a tactical carbine class when time and finances allow. What advice can you offer for the financially limited individual in the AR realm? Your help is greatly appreciated.
wvboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 17:16   #2
Mas Ayoob
KoolAidAntidote

Kind words appreciated. 1:9 rifling twist strikes me as a good middle ground and "jack of all trades" setup for everything from 52- and traditional 55-grain bullets to the heavier bullet loads. I'd personally be inclined toward something in the 55 grain softnose or JHP range for home defense.

However, the AR is not my primary weapon. Check with Zack Smith upstream in GATE's Long Range section, and get his opinion. He has more AR15 experience than I.

You asked about AR15s on a budget. My take is that money spent on ammo and training should take priority over ammo spent on accessories.

best,
Mas
Mas Ayoob is offline   Reply With Quote