SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-04-2012, 13:14   #26
FFR Spyder GT
Ex-Gunslinger

I almost got a small doe this morning.

If I had only been a little slower hitting the brakes.
FFR Spyder GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 16:22   #27
Peace Warrior
CLM Number 221
Am Yisrael Chai

Quote:
Originally Posted by havensal View Post
Not yet, but I am taking my Son on his first deer hunt this weekend. 3 day youth rifle hunt, first ever in NY.
have fun man.
"Nothing we're gonna do is going to fundamentally alter or eliminate the possibility of another mass shooting or guarantee that [our gun ban legislation] will bring gun deaths down..." - VPOTUS Joe Biden
"Love 'Em All!!! Let Jehovah sort 'em out." - The Holy Bible
"You gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?" - Josey Wales
Peace Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 16:28   #28
janice6
Platinum Membership
NRA

Anybody Kill Anything Yet?

My wife is still considering her options.

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

Earp: Not everyone who knows you hates you.
DOC: I know it ain't always easy bein' my friend....but I'll BE THERE when you need me.
janice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 16:32   #29
Peace Warrior
CLM Number 221
Am Yisrael Chai

This thread has me so ate up about hunting about hunting this year...

As I was at the meat counter I was mentally comparing the pork loins to venison loins as far as size and thickness.

<-- Never worries about eating the rack, so young bucks are fine in my freezer/on my menu.
"Nothing we're gonna do is going to fundamentally alter or eliminate the possibility of another mass shooting or guarantee that [our gun ban legislation] will bring gun deaths down..." - VPOTUS Joe Biden
Old 10-04-2012, 20:29   #30
skeeter1959

Just a bunch of S. Texas doves and a yote. Had some Axis deer sausage tonight. I loves me some axis deer! Going next month on our annual axis doe hunt.
skeeter1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 20:38   #31
gjk5
Pinche Gringo

going for dove this weekend, mulie at the beginning of Nov and elk mid Nov.

Then down to TX in Jan for hopefully pig and Nilgai
gjk5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 20:43   #32
M&P Shooter
Metal Member

Anybody Kill Anything Yet?

I stepped on a water bug in basement down here in Philadelphia. Yeah us Philadelphia city folk can crush a basement bug with one foot faster then you country boys can say "Look Joe Bob is kissing his cousin Daisy Duke again"
Old 10-04-2012, 21:03   #33
fusegsp

The Des Moines police did. They shot a mountain lion in the city this morning. That should shut up all the naysayers here in Iowa that think there are no mountain lions here. My Dad said he took 5 or 6 pictures of it at the scene but I haven't seen them yet.

Last edited by fusegsp; 10-04-2012 at 21:08..
fusegsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 21:50   #34
frank4570
Feral human

My neighbors 13 year old daughter got a VERY big 4 point.

For too long people have said "screw NY, IL, etc" or "that'll never happen here." Yes, it will eventually. If we dont start standing up together now, it will never stop.-ilgunguygt
frank4570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 22:26   #35
Hummer
Big Member

Moose season started Monday in Colorado. Moose are everywhere, multiplying like mice, and I can't seem to draw a moose license. Thirteen consecutive years of applying. Thirteen years of the state drawing interest and fees off my $250 annual applications. Might make a guy think he's unlucky.

This past week, moose have been tromping around my cabin, thumbing their moose lips at me. At least one bull, a cow and a calf, chomping my flowers, the elderberries, willows, aspen trees, and just thumbing their moose lips at me. Bubb, bubb, bubb, bubb, bubb, bubb.... Chomp, chomp, chomp, chomp.

Oh, I'm so glad they're eating well.

Here's my cousin Dan, chatting up one of the moose in the driveway. Say cheese.....

The Okie Corral

Clint Eastwood
August 30, 2012
Hummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 22:33   #36
Snaps
Hail 2 The King

not even going out this year, our deer have some kinda disease and while they say people can't get it, it's suggested not to eat deer meat.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...spread-653604/

Last edited by Snaps; 10-04-2012 at 22:36..
Snaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 22:39   #37
Gonzoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaps View Post
not even going out this year, our deer have some kinda disease and while they say people can't get it, it's suggested not to eat deer meat.

What disease? CWD has not been found in PA.
Old 10-04-2012, 22:43   #38
Clutch Cargo
Amsterdam Haze

I was in a blind at my brother-in-law's deer lease and popped a 174 pound boar with a scoped 7.5" Ruger Redhawk. I used a Garrett 310 gr Hammerhead load at 43 yards and the boar dropped where he stood.
I can't walk any distance since my latest back surgery, so I let 'em come to me.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:57   #39
Peace Warrior
CLM Number 221
Am Yisrael Chai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hummer View Post
Moose season started Monday in Colorado. Moose are everywhere, multiplying like mice, and I can't seem to draw a moose license. Thirteen consecutive years of applying. Thirteen years of the state drawing interest and fees off my $250 annual applications. Might make a guy think he's unlucky. ...
Here in Florida, for both the quota hunt areas and the alligator lottery, if you're not picked for a hunting season in the drawing, you get awarded what the FWC refers to as a preference point. These add up over time as long as you keep applying.

With the number of hunters here, guesstimating, each hunter gets picked roughly every three of four years in the hardest hunted areas.

Good luck.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:02   #40
Glock20 10mm
Use Linux!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace Warrior View Post
This thread has me so ate up about hunting about hunting this year...

As I was at the meat counter I was mentally comparing the pork loins to venison loins as far as size and thickness.

<-- Never worries about eating the rack, so young bucks are fine in my freezer/on my menu.
I just noticed you are using my sig... that's cool! Thanks!
Glock20 10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:04   #41
Peace Warrior
CLM Number 221
Am Yisrael Chai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock20 10mm View Post
I just noticed you are using my sig... that's cool! Thanks!
YW, it rings true IMO.

Hunting yet?

ETA: Never mind, I forgot, you can hunt 12 months a year where you live.

Last edited by Peace Warrior; 10-05-2012 at 11:52..
Old 10-05-2012, 11:17   #42
bubba803

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzoso View Post
What disease? CWD has not been found in PA.
EHD, not chronic wasting.
bubba803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:42   #43
Hummer
Big Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace Warrior View Post
Here in Florida, for both the quota hunt areas and the alligator lottery, if you're not picked for a hunting season in the drawing, you get awarded what the FWC refers to as a preference point. These add up over time as long as you keep applying.

With the number of hunters here, guesstimating, each hunter gets picked roughly every three of four years in the hardest hunted areas.

Good luck.
For moose in CO, the straight line preference points is limited to 3 points, with "weighted points" accumulating thereafter. Not clear how it works but it gives applicants with fewer points a chance at the draw (and so the state can continue bringing in application revenue). I have 3 pref points and 10 weighted points.

After such a long term investment in applying, I'm only interested in a bull tag and those are harder to get. I just hope I get a chance before they put me in a nursing home.

Clint Eastwood
August 30, 2012
Hummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:55   #44
Peace Warrior
CLM Number 221
Am Yisrael Chai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hummer View Post
For moose in CO, the straight line preference points is limited to 3 points, with "weighted points" accumulating thereafter. Not clear how it works but it gives applicants with fewer points a chance at the draw (and so the state can continue bringing in application revenue). I have 3 pref points and 10 weighted points.

After such a long term investment in applying, I'm only interested in a bull tag and those are harder to get. I just hope I get a chance before they put me in a nursing home.
13 years?!?! It would have been cheaper, in hindsight of course, to crack one as a non-res in another State by now.

I'll say a pray for you/your next hunt pick.

Will you lose the points if you stop applying? If not, stop, they have to let you bag one by now.
Old 10-05-2012, 15:08   #45
finz50

Send a message via AIM to finz50
Quote:
Congratulations! How did it feel compared to a rifle kill?
It was awesome....don't know what was better, going up the climber and having it walk within 7 yards of my stand and not knowing i was there or the actual kill shot at 25 yards vs rifle range....I was jacked regardless!
Old 10-05-2012, 17:02   #46
Hamguy

I killed a spider in the bathtub this morning. Does that count?
Hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 17:48   #47
deutscheglocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaps View Post

My 4X2 looked OK to eat.
I haven't archery hunted in 6 yrs. My rotators are shot and I couldn't pull back on even 60 lbs.
A buddy has been on me to buy a crossbow and I was reluctant to spend as much on a crossbow as an AR.
While in Mich. he got me to shoot one at a Cabelas. WOW I was impressed. The salesman asked how I liked it. I said "put it in a box".

Anyway I didn't get out the first Sat as I was still finding archery stuff from years gone by.
I shot about 2 doz bolts at 20 to 40 and that damn thing was money.

I went out last Mon as it was a bit cool and foggy and saw a small buck about 30-35 and angling toward me. I was about 25 ft up. We need 3 points up on one side to be legal (disregarding the brow tine). I thought it was a forkhorn and then thought I saw another small point but just wasn't sure. He walked into a patch of sun and there was that 4th point, small but at an inch, made this guy legal. By that time, he was about 25 out and quartering away. I held a bit high and behind the shoulder a foot. The bolt went through and through exiting the neck just in front of the other shoulder. He reared up and fell on his side, scrambled up, ran down the hill about 40 yds crashing into stuff, then silence.

I went and collected my bolt. The spitfire 100's I took off my compound arrows opened up just like they were supposed to ( I took the 3 bladed ones and left the 2 bladed ones with the Golden Eagle).
I found him about 40 yds away. The rack was just legal and the deer was small ( I would guess about 130 or so) but it was the first archery deer for me in 6 years.
Mon AM is supposed to be cool again ( high 30's) so I'll be back out in the same tree. I have 3 more antlerless tags so hope to score again.
Pennsylvania Glocker #74

Last edited by deutscheglocker; 10-05-2012 at 18:01..
deutscheglocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 17:55   #48
cmb19

I've been obsessing over getting out hunting for months now. I don't hunt archery, although I'm looking into buying a nice, cheap bow to see if I'd like it.

I went out coyote hunting once, hoping to go again Sunday. None came in, but we had them around us, plus a red fox.
I can't wait for squirrel season, it's the most relaxing hunting ever, unfortunately my work schedule is going to screw me over a good bit this year.

I'm looking to spend a ton of money on hunting this year...I'm hoping to get a new rifle for deer season. I hate being poor.
cmb19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 17:57   #49
el_jewapo

Too damn hot and too many mosquitoes. I just don't enjoy hunting in this weather. I'll fight the mosquitoes and heat for fishing, but not deer hunting, I don't know why. Probably just something in the back of my brain with the whole sweating stinking thing and deer smelling me, even though I've killed them in heat while hot and sweaty. I just don't enjoy it.
el_jewapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 18:07   #50
airmotive
Tin Kicker

I just set out some ant traps tonight...