Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-12-2012, 18:54   #76
Reyn
Times Up

We don't open til the 15th. I've seen some big ones killed in Kentucky this year.
Reyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 19:01   #77
econjon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hummer View Post

My 2012 elk hunt begins in one week, wish me luck.
Good luck! I'm in the middle of a spike elk hunt in Utah and have a cow hunt coming up in January with the general deer hunt starting next week. Love this time of year!
econjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 19:54   #78
Tvov

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-421 View Post
Man, I wish I could go hunting, but I don't have the equipment, the knowledge, or anybody to show me how. Would love to eat more meats other than domesticated cow, pig, and chicken. I've had deer before and loved it, but that was only once. Always wanted to try buffalo, elk, moose, caribou, reindeer, and to eat more deer. I just don't know anything about hunting, and would prefer to go with an experienced person my first few times.
A thread I started last year about wanting to hunt:

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1276981

Scroll down a few posts on that thread, and read the one that bustedknee made.

I didn't start hunting until I was 46 years old, which was last year. Find out if you need a hunting license where you are, and make arrangements to get one. Many sporting goods / gun stores can point you in the right direction. I found that most hunters do not want to take a "newbie" out. Talk to hunters, ask questions, but don't be pushy. You'll get your opportunity.
Tvov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 21:38   #79
Peace Warrior
CLM Number 221
Am Yisrael Chai

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmb19 View Post
I was going to say I'm sorry for bumping this thread but I'm too excited to care...I got my first coyote tonight!!!

I hate 'yotes!
"Nothing we're gonna do is going to fundamentally alter or eliminate the possibility of another mass shooting or guarantee that [our gun ban legislation] will bring gun deaths down..." - VPOTUS Joe Biden
"Love 'Em All!!! Let Jehovah sort 'em out." - The Holy Bible
"You gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?" - Josey Wales
Peace Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 21:39   #80
Snaps
Hail 2 The King

now today it got worse, we now have the wasting disease as well
Old 10-12-2012, 22:27   #81
TK-421

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tvov View Post
A thread I started last year about wanting to hunt:

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1276981

Scroll down a few posts on that thread, and read the one that bustedknee made.

I didn't start hunting until I was 46 years old, which was last year. Find out if you need a hunting license where you are, and make arrangements to get one. Many sporting goods / gun stores can point you in the right direction. I found that most hunters do not want to take a "newbie" out. Talk to hunters, ask questions, but don't be pushy. You'll get your opportunity.
Thanks, that thread was really helpful. I figure it will be a few years before I try hunting though. I need to become competent shooting paper targets with my pistol, before I try shooting a live animal with a rifle.

I can understand why most hunters don't want to take newbies out, it's most likely because newbies generally have no idea what to do, will get bored easily, will try and be chatty to pass the time, and will probably forget to turn their cell phone off.

My main concern isn't really having to do with shooting the animal though, that part is relatively easy. The part I'm concerned about is what to do after I kill the animal, how to get out of the woods and get it to someone who can skin it. I honestly doubt I'd be a good hunter, because I have no idea how to field dress an animal. And while this is generally me around blood, , from what I've seen on TV, it's not as bad as I think. Granted, TV doesn't let you hear the sounds of a dying animal, smell the flesh and blood, or hear the knife cutting through the flesh and letting all the guts spill out. But that's what I'd have someone else there for, let them do all the nasty, bloody work.
TK-421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 22:28   #82
Hummer
Big Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by econjon View Post
Good luck! I'm in the middle of a spike elk hunt in Utah and have a cow hunt coming up in January with the general deer hunt starting next week. Love this time of year!
And, good luck to you. Hope you find that spike bull. You're probably getting some of the rain we're seeing here, and maybe snow. The higher elevations could get 4-8 inches of the white stuff tonight. The moisture will wet and and quiet the forest. Should be a good start for the first rifle elk season starting here tomorrow.

Clint Eastwood
August 30, 2012
Hummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 22:37   #83
HollowHead
Firm member

Antlered elk opens Monday morning and it's still in the seventies here. The idea of draping a few quarters for four hours on a sweaty horse in the seventies is not making me happy. HH

Sent from two coffee cans connected by a string.
HollowHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 06:22   #84
Tvov

"TK-421"

Wait just a minute... I just realized why your name was bugging me! That is the identification code for the stormtrooper who was supposed to be guarding the Millennium Falcon on the Death Star!
Old 10-13-2012, 12:36   #85
cmb19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace Warrior View Post

I hate 'yotes!
You and me both, but at the same time I think they're awesome.
I was gonna post the picture I have, but it's me and my brother and I figure he doesn't want to be on GT.

I went out squirrel hunting today..saw tons of reds and a few greys. I didn't bother shooting at the reds and the greys were racing all over, so no squirrels for me. I did see a little 4 point and a bear though.
cmb19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 13:11   #86
TK-421

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tvov View Post
"TK-421"

Wait just a minute... I just realized why your name was bugging me! That is the identification code for the stormtrooper who was supposed to be guarding the Millennium Falcon on the Death Star!
I'll give you an internet cookie if you can tell me who donned his outfit, and two internet cookies if you can tell me the designation of the second stormtrooper that was also guarding the Millennium Falcon.
Old 10-13-2012, 14:06   #87
Tvov

Quote:
I'll give you an internet cookie if you can tell me who donned his outfit, and two internet cookies if you can tell me the designation of the second stormtrooper that was also guarding the Millennium Falcon.
Luke had the outfit on (he came running up later to the control room telling Han and Chewy to stop making so much noise)...

You got me on the second guy. I will have to go back and watch that again... I don't remember hearing the second guys number. I just remember Luke saying: "hey you down there, will you come up and give us a hand?"

Whoa, sorry, geeking out there for a moment!
Old 10-13-2012, 14:16   #88
TK-421

The designation of the second stormtrooper, who's armor was donned by Han, was TK-422.
Old 10-13-2012, 15:03   #89
filthy infidel
100% Infidel

Well after chasing a neighbor who asked me to join a lease last year (day after Thanksgiving when a member backed out) I found out that that $400 went down the tubes- no deer, and the lease was lost....
Working late now to land a place to hunt this season. I see many deer on the mountainbike almost every time I ride, too bad I can't bag 'em in a park!
Old 10-13-2012, 15:50   #90
Tvov

Quote:
The designation of the second stormtrooper, who's armor was donned by Han, was TK-422.
That was so obvious, I decided to not even guess that one...

Okay, sorry, back to the thread!
Old 10-29-2012, 12:56   #91
Hummer
Big Member

I'm smiling....

Just returned from the mountains where I took a nice 6x6 bull elk after some tracking and lengthy stalk. The shot was at 59 yards with a 200 grain Nosler Partition handload. The rifle is a Winchester model 54 in .30-06, with a 4x Leupold Alaskan scope. This was my 24th elk in 27 years of solo hunting in the national forest of western Colorado.

Shot it Saturday, packed it out yesterday. In a few days, I'll post the whole story and more pics in the GT hunting forum but for now, I've got some meat cutting to do.

The Okie Corral

The Okie Corral

Clint Eastwood
August 30, 2012
Old 10-29-2012, 15:28   #92
Hauptmann6

Send a message via AIM to Hauptmann6 Send a message via MSN to Hauptmann6 Send a message via Yahoo to Hauptmann6
Quote:
Granted, TV doesn't let you hear the sounds of a dying animal, smell the flesh and blood, or hear the knife cutting through the flesh and letting all the guts spill out. But that's what I'd have someone else there for, let them do all the nasty, bloody work.

Honestly I've never heard one die. You just have to be sure before you pull the trigger. And gutting isn't that much different than cleaning a chicken at home. But less nasty. lol Pick up some long sleeve rubber gloves and you are all set.

But whatever you do, don't listen to the guys who tell you just to shove your knife all the way in. lol then it gets stinky. If you just make a small slice to get in, then run the knife with your fingers to open it up, it's fine.
The only things that last forever
Are memories and sorrow
Hauptmann6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 06:49   #93
Peace Warrior
CLM Number 221
Am Yisrael Chai

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmb19 View Post
You and me both, but at the same time I think they're awesome.
I was gonna post the picture I have, but it's me and my brother and I figure he doesn't want to be on GT.

I went out squirrel hunting today..saw tons of reds and a few greys. I didn't bother shooting at the reds and the greys were racing all over, so no squirrels for me. I did see a little 4 point and a bear though.
Hunting 'yotes or squirrels?

(btw- One of my brothers used to be married to a PA girl that could make some great squirrel pot pie. She made it worth ALL the trouble to clean the little tree-rats.)
"Nothing we're gonna do is going to fundamentally alter or eliminate the possibility of another mass shooting or guarantee that [our gun ban legislation] will bring gun deaths down..." - VPOTUS Joe Biden
"Love 'Em All!!! Let Jehovah sort 'em out." - The Holy Bible
"You gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?" - Josey Wales
Peace Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 12:33   #94
Combatcomm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hummer View Post
Just returned from the mountains where I took a nice 6x6 bull elk after some tracking and lengthy stalk. The shot was at 59 yards with a 200 grain Nosler Partition handload. The rifle is a Winchester model 54 in .30-06, with a 4x Leupold Alaskan scope. This was my 24th elk in 27 years of solo hunting in the national forest of western Colorado.

Shot it Saturday, packed it out yesterday. In a few days, I'll post the whole story and more pics in the GT hunting forum but for now, I've got some meat cutting to do.

The Okie Corral

The Okie Corral
Wow makes the little doe I shot today and came to brag about look like nothing.....
Old 11-11-2012, 13:35   #95
Hummer
Big Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Combatcomm View Post
Wow makes the little doe I shot today and came to brag about look like nothing.....
Hey, there's nothing wrong with hunting does, the steaks taste as good, sometimes they make for a challenging hunt, and success is still success, so post away (and include pics or it didn't happen ).

It's about the hunting experience and the stories we like to read and learn from. I didn't happen to have a shooting opportunity at a deer all season and didn't fill my tag. But, I did post a picture of a doe I got on page 3 of this thread.

Yea, got lucky on the bull elk but part of the reality is wrestling a 600 lb. carcass by yourself and reaching up to your neck inside the chest cavity to field dress it. Every hunter ought to have that experience.

P.S.: Congrats on the deer!

Clint Eastwood
August 30, 2012
Old 11-11-2012, 13:38   #96
cmb19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace Warrior View Post
Hunting 'yotes or squirrels?
What do you mean by this? For the picture? The pic is me and my brother with the coyote I got, the rest of that comment was talking about squirrel hunting.

I've never had squirrel pot pie, but if I ever get out hunting again this season, I might just have to attempt it...sounds yummy.
Old 11-11-2012, 13:53   #97
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no evil.

Two weeks to go....
For the last time
NeverMore1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 14:08   #98
Gixxerjoe04

Here's my first bow kill and buck I took back in September. Sitting in my blind right now with my 30-06 waiting for a doe to show up. Could of had an even better buck yesterday morning but there's a one buck rule here so I just hope he makes it until next year.
The Okie Corral
Gixxerjoe04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 18:59   #99
cmb19

I'm bumping this again....I got my very first deer today! Just a doe, but it's meat so I'm more than thrilled.

Old deer, not sure she would have had an easy winter, absolutely no fat on her and she was pretty thin. I got her with a good shot...she was walking straight at me, I was worried she wouldn't give me a shot broadside. She got really close before she turned, which is good because I refuse to shoot straight on, I'm not comfortable with that.
After I shot, I watched her run and go down. I literally thought she was going to run me over.

She was full of milk too.
Old 12-01-2012, 19:34   #100
deutscheglocker

deer tally

OK, I think I posted earlier that I was lucky enough to get a small 4X2 buck and a doe a few weeks back in archery season. I had gotten my very first crossbow and I was highly impressed.

Today I shot a doe with my trusty old $139 Remington 760 pump gun in 30.06.
I hunted the morning in some really thick stuff with my Ruger Redhawk in my hand but spooked a single doe when I stood up to stretch. I holstered the pistol after lunch, moved to another spot and was standing with the rifle when I looked up at 3 doe looking at me 10 to 12 yds away.
We eyeballed for almost a min and I knew they were gone shortly so I pressed the safety off and shouldered the rifle as they broke. 2 ran back and away. The lead doe bolted forward in front of me and ran into a 150gr Nosler Ballistic tip that balled her up. She ended up 20 yds from me. That is the closest shot I ever made on well over 40 deer.
That's all the freezer space I have so I'm done for this season.

The Okie Corral
Pennsylvania Glocker #74

Last edited by deutscheglocker; 12-01-2012 at 19:35..
deutscheglocker is offline   Reply With Quote