Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-04-2012, 11:52   #1
SCmasterblaster

Why do LEOs assume that OCers are criminals? I don't understand.

Old 10-04-2012, 12:25   #2
RussP

I split this off from another thread so it could receive proper exposure and to keep from derailing the other thread.

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:30   #3
cowboy1964

Who says they do? From what I see, most OC stops are caused by citizens calling in "man with a gun". They have to check it out.

When you get pulled over for speeding, aren't they also "assuming" the possibility that you may pull out a gun and kill them?

Last edited by cowboy1964; 10-04-2012 at 12:31..
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:40   #4
Chris Chris

Is it possible that the attitude of the OCer could play a role? It seems to me that some OCers are passionate about their right to carry OC, and confrontational in a verbal, but non-violent way, when a LEO simply stops them and asks what they are doing.

Might a person openly displaying a gun on their hip, and expressing the attitude that many (but not all) OCers seem to have... color that LEO's opinion of things?

Think of it from the position of the officer who has to address an unknown person who has an openly displayed/holstered handgun.
Old 10-04-2012, 13:55   #5
Remington 870

Plain and simple if you arent in a police uniform you have no known character of not being a good guy to the general public. most people asume all cops are good guys. and a uniform puts people at ease that arent used to seeing a (gun) out in the open. to most people primaraly in the northeast to see a person wearing a gun out in the open it intimadates them. just my take.
Remington 870 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 14:32   #6
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington 870 View Post
Plain and simple if you arent in a police uniform you have no known character of not being a good guy to the general public. most people asume all cops are good guys. and a uniform puts people at ease that arent used to seeing a (gun) out in the open. to most people primaraly in the northeast to see a person wearing a gun out in the open it intimadates them. just my take.
I'm not sure putting you in a police uniform makes you have a "known" character. There's plenty of bad apples out there in all professions, including LE.

That said... When an open carrier acts like a criminal (ie.. "Am I being detained", starts quoting the constitution, etc..)... it's obviously going to make most officers think something is up.
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 15:12   #7
GeorgiaGlocker
Incirlik AB

Many in LE believe that only LE should carry weapons.
Old 10-04-2012, 15:52   #8
Chris Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaGlocker View Post
Many in LE believe that only LE should carry weapons.
I don't believe that is a correct statement... maybe your assumption. And, much might depend upon where in the US you live as to what the local LEO attitudes are. But, as a blanket statement I think it is a bit irresponsible.

If you have any .. valid... documentation to support that statement, please share it with us.
Old 10-04-2012, 15:59   #9
jbglock

I'm an leo and I DON'T assume an open carrier is a criminal. I know of no criminal that would open carry actually. Now I've seen (never run into one myself) some of the OC rights videos and would assume someone acting the way these nuts do is a criminal. The normal people I wouldn't. As has been said we have to investigate things reported. Don't act like some nut and it will be over quickly. It's not like I want to waste a lot of time on something that isn't even illegal (unless certain things have happened) in my state.
jbglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 16:03   #10
eb07
Sharkin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy1964 View Post
Who says they do? From what I see, most OC stops are caused by citizens calling in "man with a gun". They have to check it out.

When you get pulled over for speeding, aren't they also "assuming" the possibility that you may pull out a gun and kill them?

Why are there no man with a book calls?
eb07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 16:03   #11
writwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiaglocker View Post
many in le believe that only le should carry weapons.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^this^^^^^^^^^
Old 10-04-2012, 16:05   #12
writwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyGunFreak View Post

That said... When an open carrier acts like a criminal (ie.. "Am I being detained", starts quoting the constitution, etc..)... it's obviously going to make most officers think something is up.
WHAT!!!! If you ask why you being detained you are acting like a criminal????

You have no understanding of what the US Constitution and BOR is about. Get you money back from your history teachers.
Old 10-04-2012, 16:12   #13
dukeblue91

I never had a problem open carry my guns.
I have been looked at funny but nothing else.
Maybe it depends on where you live.
dukeblue91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 16:18   #14
Nine Shooter
Average Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCmasterblaster View Post
I don't. Honestly I think its a pretty broad generalization to think we do. I will admit though, I've met quite a few colleagues that are uncomfortable with it.

In my personal opinion, I don't think this is because they believe guns should be out of the hands of everyone except for LE, but rather because we have training that instills in us weapon=threat. We also deal with quite a few people who some pretty tragic and irresponsible things with firearms.

Criminals typically do not open carry. If a felon has a firearm the last thing he wants to do is display it where law enforcement can see until he is using it in the commission of a crime.

When I see an open carrier in a larger city or urban area, I see someone who is drawing unnecessary attention to themselves, defeating the ultimate first intent of self defense, to blend in, go unnoticed. There is a difference between making a statement and seeking attention.

A lot of the interactions law enforcement have with open carriers are because we get dispatched to contact them because non-gun citizens are "alarmed" by simply seeing a man w/a gun.

I've driven by my fair share of people open carrying and noticed quite a few glances in my direction like they expect or want to get talked to, just for the sake of confrontation.
Nine Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 16:20   #15
janice6
Platinum Membership
NRA

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb07 View Post
Why are there no man with a book calls?

You can bet your ass that when a serial "guy with a book" starts beating the heck out of strangers, the cops will be called. especially when a concerned person sees a guy with a book..

I do believe that a person OCing, is looking for attention and is perturbed when he gets it.

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

Earp: Not everyone who knows you hates you.
DOC: I know it ain't always easy bein' my friend....but I'll BE THERE when you need me.
janice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 16:30   #16
Chris Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine Shooter View Post
I don't. Honestly I think its a pretty broad generalization to think we do. I will admit though, I've met quite a few colleagues that are uncomfortable with it.

In my personal opinion, I don't think this is because they believe guns should be out of the hands of everyone except for LE, but rather because we have training that instills in us weapon=threat. We also deal with quite a few people who some pretty tragic and irresponsible things with firearms.

Criminals typically do not open carry. If a felon has a firearm the last thing he wants to do is display it where law enforcement can see until he is using it in the commission of a crime.

When I see an open carrier in a larger city or urban area, I see someone who is drawing unnecessary attention to themselves, defeating the ultimate first intent of self defense, to blend in, go unnoticed. There is a difference between making a statement and seeking attention.

A lot of the interactions law enforcement have with open carriers are because we get dispatched to contact them because non-gun citizens are "alarmed" by simply seeing a man w/a gun.

I've driven by my fair share of people open carrying and noticed quite a few glances in my direction like they expect or want to get talked to, just for the sake of confrontation.
That is the most intelligent and thoughtful quote I have ever seen on the subject of OC.

Thank you for that, especially from the perspective of a serving LEO.
Old 10-04-2012, 16:38   #17
Clutch Cargo
Amsterdam Haze

We cannot open carry a pistol in Texas but we can open/concealed carry a long gun. I have experience with LE while legally open carrying a long gun and I do feel like I'm treated like a criminal. I've no doubt the LE reaction is due to lack of experience/training on the part of the LE. Texas folks just don't carry their long guns that much anymore.

Last edited by Clutch Cargo; 10-04-2012 at 16:45..
Clutch Cargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 17:26   #18
SJ 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington 870 View Post
Guns in the open are quite common in Vermont,sometimes folks that move here from less than Free states are not used to seeing them in the open.
Or worse yet folks walking down the road with shotguns or rifles in the pursuit of hunting.

If they don't like not having street lights or curbs.sidewalks and folks exerciseing their God given rights them maybe they should stay in Ma.,N.J., N.Y. or CT. and then they won't have to witness folks enjoying Freedom. SJ 40
SJ 40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 18:08   #19
Bruce M

Seems as if there may be some who openly carry a handgun who actually do not get harassed by the police; or if they have contact with the police, the contact seems less dramatic. I wonder if maybe they have something that is different in their demeanor or age or responses.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.

Last edited by Bruce M; 10-04-2012 at 18:08..
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 18:25   #20
JerryVO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Chris View Post
...when a LEO simply stops them and asks what they are doing.
I think this is exactly what the OP is talking about and you said it so nonchalantly. There is no reason to stop an OCer to ask what they are doing. They are going about their business... that's what they are doing. If you observe them acting suspicious that is one thing but the presumption that an OCer deserves to be asked what they are doing is the problem and where the appearance of police thinking they are criminals comes from.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited by JerryVO; 10-04-2012 at 18:43..
JerryVO is offline   Reply With Quote