SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-23-2012, 01:50   #1
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

Anoka County Judge John Dehen wants to carry gun at work (MN)

http://www.startribune.com/local/north/180544691.html
TBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 01:58   #2
TK-421

I don't see why he shouldn't be allowed to carry a gun in his court room.
TK-421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:56   #3
rvrctyrngr
Senior Moment

Perfectly legal here in FL.

Detached reflection cannot be demanded in the presence of an uplifted knife.
-Justice Oliver Wendel Holmes Brown v. United States, 1921
rvrctyrngr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 15:12   #4
SCmasterblaster

Is he an anti-gun judge, BTW?
Old 11-23-2012, 15:19   #5
Gun Shark

Send a message via AIM to Gun Shark Send a message via MSN to Gun Shark Send a message via Yahoo to Gun Shark

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-421 View Post
I don't see why he shouldn't be allowed to carry a gun in his court room.
My feelings as well.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

"No freeman shall ever be debarred the use of arms." --Thomas Jefferson

"Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter."
Gun Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 19:03   #6
redbaron007
Lifetime Membership
A Nice Prick

I say go for it. Sounds legal and a great a plan.

red
TopGun *357sig* Club - #2632

R.I.P. Cajunator® ~ R.I.P. Mullah (aka El Ron)
R.I.P. GioaJack ~ R.I.P. Okie
redbaron007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 17:18   #7
glock_collector

If I had to deal with some of the folks the judge does, I'd carry too.
glock_collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 17:23   #8
janice6
Platinum Membership
NRA

If he can, I want to too.

(All men are created equal. "What about Kings? Kings are equal too". I'm screwed) Credit: Wizard of Id.

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

Earp: Not everyone who knows you hates you.
DOC: I know it ain't always easy bein' my friend....but I'll BE THERE when you need me.
janice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 18:00   #9
jlavallee

hmmm, I don't recall the 2nd Amendment saying anything about only being allowed to keep and bear arms at certian times.

Track bills in Congress and tell politicians your opinion. www.popvox.com
jlavallee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 18:48   #10
jtull7
CLM Number 289
Pistolero

All judges and prosecutors in Texas have their own special CCW.

Every day I face Ogden, Utah, and pray that God might bless John Moses Browning.

Outpost Member #69 I collect and shoot many fine firearms. CCW: NM, CT, and NH. N5JHT. WFR. Former LEO. SAR. Bilateral trans-tibial amputee. Survivor of bubonic plague. Tough sum-*****.

Last edited by jtull7; 11-24-2012 at 18:48..
jtull7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 18:57   #11
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlavallee View Post
hmmm, I don't recall the 2nd Amendment saying anything about only being allowed to keep and bear arms at certian times.
Everything in life has limits. The question is, what are they?

Last edited by TBO; 11-24-2012 at 18:58..
Old 11-24-2012, 19:59   #12
jlavallee

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBO View Post
Everything in life has limits. The question is, what are they?
The entire concept of our system is that we don't have any of our basic rights infringed upon unless we've shown just cause to justify it. Even then, a permanent or long term restriction of freedoms is supposed to require a unaminous verdict from our peers in a court of law.

If our right to be free of searches is to be violated then a judge is supposed to have been shown cause upon oath or affirmation. If a person has been convicted of a violent crime then that is the requirement to restrict access to the 2nd. It is never on the basis of a universal limit but based on personal actions that are as a result of wrong doing by the party in question.

If you've not done anything to justify a loss of liberty, other folks have no right to take it away. Now if the judge worked for a private business that didn't want guns on the property that would be different.

I'm stopping now, as the question indicates that the poster has no idea on how liberty and individualism works at all.

Old 11-24-2012, 21:07   #13
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

Quote:
The entire concept of our system is that we don't have any of our basic rights infringed upon unless we've shown just cause to justify it. Even then, a permanent or long term restriction of freedoms is supposed to require a unaminous verdict from our peers in a court of law.

If our right to be free of UNREASONABLE searches is to be violated then a judge is supposed to have been shown cause upon oath or affirmation. If a person has been convicted of a violent crime then that is the requirement to restrict access to the 2nd. It is never on the basis of a universal limit but based on personal actions that are as a result of wrong doing by the party in question.

If you've not done anything to justify a loss of liberty, other folks have no right to take it away. Now if the judge worked for a private business that didn't want guns on the property that would be different.

I'm stopping now, as the question indicates that the poster has no idea on how liberty and individualism works at all.
The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters".

"A person who won't reason has no advantage over one who can't reason."

"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."

“Ignorance is a lot like alcohol: the more you have of it, the less you are able to see its effect on you.”

Originally Posted by Rooster Rugburn:
Didn't the whole sheepdog thing actually start right here on Glock Talk? A bunch of wannabees bought a bunch of T-shirts and took an oath to defend those who won't defend themselves?
Old 11-24-2012, 22:46   #14
jlavallee

Quote:
The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.
Yes exactly, unreasonable unless upon probable cause. That means unless a person has done something or someone else swears that they have and spells out the exact details, there is no reason to issue a warrant. The Constitution was written in clear language so even the most simple could understand their rights.

Old 11-24-2012, 22:55   #15
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

Quote:
Yes exactly, unreasonable unless upon probable cause. That means unless a person has done something or someone else swears that they have and spells out the exact details, there is no reason to issue a warrant. The Constitution was written in clear language so even the most simple could understand their rights.

The above also does not say a warrant is needed for a search. Merely that no warrant shall be issued that lacks PC, Oath, and description.

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters".

“Ignorance is a lot like alcohol: the more you have of it, the less you are able to see its effect on you.”

Didn't the whole sheepdog thing actually start right here on Glock Talk? A bunch of wannabees bought a bunch of T-shirts and took an oath to defend those who won't defend themselves?
Old 11-24-2012, 23:10   #16
jlavallee

Quote:

The above also does not say a warrant is needed for a search. Merely that no warrant shall be issued that lacks PC, Oath, and description.
A warrant is the writ that allows an otherwise illegal violation to take place. Get a dictionary, you're making yourself look bad.

Old 11-24-2012, 23:17   #17
jlavallee

Here, if you can't be troubled to read maybe Judge Nap can spell it out for you.

Old 11-24-2012, 23:25   #18
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

There are many searches and or seizures that require no warrant.

Sent from the toe of my jack boot using Tapatalk 2

Old 11-24-2012, 23:30   #19
TK-421

Quote:
There are many searches and or seizures that require no warrant.

Sent from the toe of my jack boot using Tapatalk 2
Like when a cop comes to your house for a noise complaint, looks in your window and sees a bong on your table, he is allowed entrance into your home, without a warrant, to seize the bong.
TK-421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:06   #20
EAJuggalo

Send a message via AIM to EAJuggalo Send a message via Yahoo to EAJuggalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-421 View Post
Like when a cop comes to your house for a noise complaint, looks in your window and sees a bong on your table, he is allowed entrance into your home, without a warrant, to seize the bong.
The LEO shouldn't be able to legally seize the bong without warrant unless there is some other reason to believe it's been used with controlled substances. There is nothing illegal about having a water pipe for tobacco in any state I am aware of.
Updated 3-22-13
EAJuggalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:22   #21
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvrctyrngr View Post
Perfectly legal here in FL.
In Kentucky:

Quote:
(5) (a) The following persons, if they hold a license to carry a concealed deadly weapon pursuant to KRS 237.110, may carry a firearm or other concealed deadly weapon on or about their persons at all times and at all locations within the Commonwealth of Kentucky, without any limitation other than as provided in this subsection:
1. A Commonwealth's attorney or assistant Commonwealth's attorney;
2. A retired Commonwealth's attorney or retired assistant Commonwealth's attorney;
3. A county attorney or assistant county attorney;
4. A retired county attorney or retired assistant county attorney;
5. A justice or judge of the Court of Justice; and
6. A retired or senior status justice or judge of the Court of Justice.
KRS 537.020

Last edited by Bren; 11-25-2012 at 07:22..
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:25   #22
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
A warrant is the writ that allows an otherwise illegal violation to take place. Get a dictionary, you're making yourself look bad.
Like he said, there are many searches that are reasonable without a warrant and the constitution has never required a warrant for all searches.

Last edited by Bren; 11-25-2012 at 07:28..
Old 11-25-2012, 08:39   #23
jlavallee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
Like he said, there are many searches that are reasonable without a warrant and the constitution has never required a warrant for all searches.
No, you think that searches without warrants are OK. If the state is free to search you without a warrant, what is the point in the 4th Amendment?

Old 11-25-2012, 08:44   #24
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

Quote:
No, you think that searches without warrants are OK. If the state is free to search you without a warrant, what is the point in the 4th Amendment?
To protect you from UNREASONABLE searches, not ALL searches.

Old 11-25-2012, 08:48   #25
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Like we just told you, the 4th amendment does not say a warrant is required and never, in the entire history of the 4th amendment, has it been interpreted to mean that. It's not my opinion, it's the opinion of the U.S. Supreme Court, every federal court and every state court in the U.S.

The point of the 4th amendment is exactly what it says - to prevent "unreasonable searches" not all warrantless searches.

Last edited by Bren; 11-25-2012 at 08:49..