GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-25-2011, 18:51   #1
Made in Austria

Remington 870 Express 18" Finish Question.

Hello all!

I recently purchased a new 870 Express (the one with the factory magazine extension). I love this gun so far, its the perfect shotgun for me.

I was wondering about the finish on this gun, since I heard of many rust issues with those guns. Is that gun really a rust bucket, or do people mistake the factory preservative lube and the soldering residues with rust?

What finish do they apply currently on the express versions? On what I have read, Remington changed the finish a couple of years ago, is this true?

Thanks, Wolf
Made in Austria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 20:54   #2
bluejackets92fs
I have bad aim

It's just parkerizing
Old 10-25-2011, 21:11   #3
Jeremy_K

Mine seems to have a lousy finish that is prone to surface rust. It's not like the older parkerized 870s at all. They had a nice matte but slick finish. This new finish is like an emery board or fine grit sandpaper finish. It's very difficult to coat it with a little oil. I have the 28" vent rib barrel and it has rust where the ribs meet the barrel. I got the gun used but in like new condition with no rust anywhere. I've never had it out in the rain or snow. I just try and keep up with it with some clp or remoil and a rag.
Jeremy_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 21:43   #4
aippi

No, it is not parkerizing. The Express finish is an applied finish. The only Remington shotguns parkerized are the 870 Police and the 11-87 Police.

The matte finish is prone to a surface rust but that wipes off. It would have to be neglected for a period of time before the rust could pit the weapon. It needs to be kept oiled. Oil it and wipe off the excess and it will be fine. Ignore it and there will be issues.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Remington LE Armorer
Mossberg LE Armorer
aippi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 21:53   #5
Glockdude1
CLM Number 185
Federal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aippi View Post
No, it is not parkerizing. The Express finish is an applied finish. The only Remington shotguns parkerized are the 870 Police and the 11-87 Police.

The matte finish is prone to a surface rust but that wipes off. It would have to be neglected for a period of time before the rust could pit the weapon. It needs to be kept oiled. Oil it and wipe off the excess and it will be fine. Ignore it and there will be issues.
All true. I was really surprised one day I pulled out my 870 express, and it had rust on the receiver. I had my entire 870 refinished in armor kote. (the name my smith calls it)

Tactical Shotguns
The color is called HK semi-gloss black.

Now water just falls off the weapon. No rust at all!!

Last edited by Glockdude1; 10-25-2011 at 21:54..
Glockdude1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 01:12   #6
Made in Austria

Thanks for all the good postings guys! I will keep it nice and moist with CLP, it will hopefully stay rust free for many years.

Thanks!
Made in Austria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 20:42   #7
CrackerKen

I was thinking about buying an 870 like this. I just changed my mind. The shotgun itself and the mechanisms may be top notch, but I'm not putting money into something that is so prone to rust. I'm not into buying something so I can spend money on refinishing it. If I can find a good used one, even blue steel, that's in good shape, I'd consider it before a new one with a lousy finish. I know how to take care of guns, and have had blue steel revolvers for years without them rusting, but I don't like the sound of this. Am I way off base here?

Right now, I'm thinking Mossberg 500 or Maverick 88. All I'm planning on doing, is buying the gun, running a box of shells through it, clean, lube, and put it in the corner of the room for HD use.
FL Glockers #442
CrackerKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 20:54   #8
Andrewsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackerKen View Post
I was thinking about buying an 870 like this. I just changed my mind. The shotgun itself and the mechanisms may be top notch, but I'm not putting money into something that is so prone to rust. I'm not into buying something so I can spend money on refinishing it. If I can find a good used one, even blue steel, that's in good shape, I'd consider it before a new one with a lousy finish. I know how to take care of guns, and have had blue steel revolvers for years without them rusting, but I don't like the sound of this. Am I way off base here?

Right now, I'm thinking Mossberg 500 or Maverick 88. All I'm planning on doing, is buying the gun, running a box of shells through it, clean, lube, and put it in the corner of the room for HD use.
No, in my opinion you're not off-base with regards to the finish. I have one and I prefer either regular Wingmaster/Police blueing or Police parkerizing on an 870.

Last edited by Andrewsky; 10-29-2011 at 20:55..
Andrewsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 21:06   #9
jhooten
NRA Life Member

They are blasted and blued. Like any other blued finish they need protection.
jhooten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 21:11   #10
Lugi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejackets92fs View Post
It's just parkerizing

No it's not!
Lugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 22:39   #11
H&K .45 AUTO
10-42

I am issued an 870 Police with a 14" barrel for work. It was brand new when I was first issued the weapon about 7 years ago, and took less than 3 months to show signs of surface rust. It has been the most labor intensive weapon I've ever had to deal with in terms of keeping rust off of it. I wipe it down weekly with a CLP soaked rag, and each week it turns the cloth brownish-orange with surface rust.

Functionally, the 870 is beyond exceptional. But, I would have expected a lot better quality finish than what I've experienced on my issued shotgun. As such, I have no plans to buy a Remington shotgun for my personal collection. I did buy a Chinese clone of an 870, and the finish on that weapon is quite better than that on my 870.
Old 10-30-2011, 12:20   #12
SCSU74
St. Cloud Proud

Cerakote works wonders

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Old 10-30-2011, 13:58   #13
CrackerKen

What's the brand name on that Chinese 870 clone?

I think I found the 870 clones - H&R Pardner Protector. Looks like the H&R is to Remington, what Maverick is to Mossberg. They look to be rather nice shotguns with some good reviews, in both the tactical and field models.
FL Glockers #442

Last edited by CrackerKen; 10-30-2011 at 14:25..
Old 10-30-2011, 17:00   #14
H&K .45 AUTO
10-42

Quote:
What's the brand name on that Chinese 870 clone?

I think I found the 870 clones - H&R Pardner Protector. Looks like the H&R is to Remington, what Maverick is to Mossberg. They look to be rather nice shotguns with some good reviews, in both the tactical and field models.

That's the one I bought... An H&R Pardner Protector. Comparing it side by side with my issued 870 Police, I can say that the Chinese made gun has a better quality finish, and is the equal of the Remington in all other regards. If it weren't for the 14" barrel, and Surefire forend assembly on my issued shotgun... I'd prefer the H&R over the 870 all the way around.
Old 10-30-2011, 17:18   #15
CrackerKen

H&K .45 Auto - Thanks much. Sounds good. I did a Google search and read up on them this afternoon. I see where Dick's Sporting Goods has them on sale today for $179.98. I wish I had the spare change right now. At least I know who sells them locally - like 2 miles down the street from my house. Cheaper Than Dirt sells them for $170, plus shipping and FFL fees. One of these should suit my purposes fine. I won't be shooting it a lot, so I'll never wear it out anyway. When I was in the police business, I carried a High Standard hunting shotgun what was cut down and re-beaded, so this will be similar (most of us bought our own instead of carrying the stuff out of the armory).
FL Glockers #442
Old 10-31-2011, 17:06   #16
H&K .45 AUTO
10-42

Quote:
H&K .45 Auto - Thanks much. Sounds good. I did a Google search and read up on them this afternoon. I see where Dick's Sporting Goods has them on sale today for $179.98. I wish I had the spare change right now. At least I know who sells them locally - like 2 miles down the street from my house. Cheaper Than Dirt sells them for $170, plus shipping and FFL fees. One of these should suit my purposes fine. I won't be shooting it a lot, so I'll never wear it out anyway. When I was in the police business, I carried a High Standard hunting shotgun what was cut down and re-beaded, so this will be similar (most of us bought our own instead of carrying the stuff out of the armory).

I certainly wouldn't worry about wearing one out. I have no doubt in my mind that it will hold up every bit as well as an 870...If not longer. These things are built very stout, with lots of steel.
Old 10-31-2011, 17:58   #17
CrackerKen

I'm going to pick one up first chance I get, probably in a couple of months. I'm on short term disability right now, and can't shoot anyway. I have some $$ coming in very soon too.

BTW - Do these hold 5 in the magazine, plus 1 chambered?
FL Glockers #442
Old 11-01-2011, 15:40   #18
H&K .45 AUTO
10-42

Quote:
BTW - Do these hold 5 in the magazine, plus 1 chambered?

Yes. They hold 5+1. Also, there is a guy on another forum that makes a plus 2 extension that fits flush with the end of the barrel. I haven't opted to go that route simply because anything that requires more attention than 6 rounds of 12 gauge 00 Buck, will be addressed with 30 rounds of 5.45x39 from my AK.
Old 11-01-2011, 16:30   #19
CrackerKen

Quote:
Originally Posted by H&K .45 AUTO View Post
Yes. They hold 5+1. Also, there is a guy on another forum that makes a plus 2 extension that fits flush with the end of the barrel. I haven't opted to go that route simply because anything that requires more attention than 6 rounds of 12 gauge 00 Buck, will be addressed with 30 rounds of 5.45x39 from my AK.
Thanks a lot. Yes, 5+1 should be enough for HD too. I'll have an extra ammo holder on the stock too.
FL Glockers #442
Old 11-02-2011, 09:03   #20
Njanear
Nagant-ophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by H&K .45 AUTO View Post
Quote:
Thanks a lot. Yes, 5+1 should be enough for HD too. I'll have an extra ammo holder on the stock too.
If I am not mistaken, I believe that you can take the barrel off, pull out the little plastic piece in the end of the mag tube and when you put it back together, will have a 6 shot tube. I have been contemplating getting one of these myself and in researching it, ran across that tidbit.
GlockTalk Clubs- #10 Georgia Glocker; #3745 Bull Dawgs; #600: 10 Ring, .40S&W, Sub Club, Long Slide, Niners, Wheelhouse, MilSurp, Rimfire, 1911, Black Rifle
Njanear is offline   Reply With Quote