Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-06-2012, 20:31   #1
Nnobby45

G23 Extractor in G19

I've been experiencing some extraction and feed problems in an older Gen 2 G19. The G19 extractor ordered from Midway USA (G19 without LCI) doesn't solve the issue. It looks quite different from the original extractor.

Today, I substituted a G23 extractor and went thru 200 rounds without any issues.

Experiences with running the G23 extractor in the G19, along with thoughts and comments would be appreciated.
Old 11-07-2012, 22:08   #2
cciman

Try a new recoil spring assembly, new extractor depressor spring, and spring loaded bearing with the original extractor.

Is it your ammo causing the problem?
cciman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 00:16   #3
Nnobby45

No, not the ammo. Complicated story. Gun worked fine. Started malfunctioning. Discovered I hadn't screwed the sight nut in enough and bbl. was rubbing against it. Thought that was the problem, since it did it with two different extractors. Fixed sight screw. Was still doing it.

A gunshop owner and friend gave me a new RSA, as you suggested and the problem was cured. I must have then gone back to the "new" extractor (which looks a lot different from the original). Was actually worse.

Went back to original extractor and it malfunctioned once after 50 rds. Put the G23 extractor in and went thru 200 rds. ok.

I've changed the bearing, spring, plunger--all new, and I'll see if it works ok with the original and "new" extractor. This extractor came from MidwayUSA and is the 9mm extractor "without LCI". Different extractors for the same guns can sure look different. Even the G23 extractor I ordered is hard to differentiate from the 9mm extractor. I don't see the 5 deg. angle on the hook.

Thanks for the info.

Last edited by Nnobby45; 11-08-2012 at 00:45..
Nnobby45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 15:27   #4
Arc Angel
Deus Vult!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nnobby45 View Post
Today, I substituted a G23 extractor and went thru 200 rounds without any issues. Experiences with running the G23 extractor in the G19, along with thoughts and comments would be appreciated.
Well, I tried the same thing with my 3rd gen G-19, and no luck. However if you've found an extractor (any extractor) that works, good for you! Suggest you buy two and keep the other one as a spare. (Check it out, first, though.)
Arc Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 23:49   #5
Nnobby45

Well, I thought if Glock every made any works of perfection, it was the G17 and 19. Wasn't prepared for the little problems I"ve had, or for so many reports of similar experiences.

Good grief, the Glock is America's LE gun in one model and caliber or another.
Old 11-09-2012, 16:01   #6
Nnobby45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arc Angel View Post
Well, I tried the same thing with my 3rd gen G-19, and no luck. However if you've found an extractor (any extractor) that works, good for you! Suggest you buy two and keep the other one as a spare. (Check it out, first, though.)
My Gen 3 G19 that I recently bought new works. It's my older Gen 2 I bought in the late 90's that is experiencing problems it didn't used to have.

So, do you have a Gen 3 that simply doesn't work and can't be fixed?

Last edited by Nnobby45; 11-09-2012 at 16:02..
Old 11-09-2012, 20:56   #7
cciman

Somethings missing here... since this is a Gen2, did you buy this used or have you only just started shooting it? Did it work fine, then suddenly stop working fine?

How many rounds have been put through this gun. FTE 1:200 is not bad, and can be still be ammo related.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nnobby45 View Post
Well, I thought if Glock every made any works of perfection, it was the G17 and 19. Wasn't prepared for the little problems I"ve had, or for so many reports of similar experiences.

Good grief, the Glock is America's LE gun in one model and caliber or another.
cciman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 05:10   #8
Nnobby45

Bought it in the late 90's at a gun shop here in Reno. Has Orange, Co. Ca. stamped on slide. Orange Co. Sheriff Dept. once issued the G19. Mostly a safe queen all these years with occasional trips to the range. Didn't malfunction until recently after it ran fine, then the trouble started. No telling how many rounds thru it before I got it. Breach face looks kind of ugly, but normal from what I can find. No problems around firing pin hole.

Also bought a G22 Gen 2 about the same time. Shot it little, but it always worked until I broke an extractor after less then 300 rounds. Works fine after replacing.

Have recently been hit by the Glock bug. Have always been a SIG man, and still am. But I've been shooting all my Glocks quite a bit. My new ones (G27 Gen 4, G19 Gen 3, G23 Gen 4) along with the older G19 and G22. Want to get my Gen 2 G19 running again. Will be testing it tomorrow (even if the high temp will be 32 deg. !).

One malfunction out of 200 rds. may not be bad for a Glock, but I guess I'm spoiled, since my SIGS run all day long with monotonous regularity. The P228 and P226's simply don't malfunction. Neither do my P229's or P220's. Seems like all the books about Glocks are largely advertisements rather than objective reviews. Have had one FTfeed with both new G19 and G23. None with either G27. Several hundred rounds thru each.

Last edited by Nnobby45; 11-10-2012 at 05:26..
Old 11-10-2012, 21:26   #9
Nnobby45

Tested the problem pistol today (it was actually snowing) and tried 9mm orig, 9mm new, and .40 new extractors---no issues. Couldn't get the gun to malfunction. 130 rds. isn't an extensive test, but better than nothing.

cciman's advice re: changing the extr. depressor spring appears to have merit. Thanks. It was noticeably weaker than the new spring. I actually put in new spring, bearing and depressor. I'd already changed the RSA, and that didn't cure it.

Appreciate the replies.

Last edited by Nnobby45; 11-10-2012 at 21:30..