Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-18-2012, 20:43   #1
RussP

I knew what it is like being a cop...

No, not from being a cop, but from a couple three decades of working with LE, and in the last 6 years learning from many friends here and off the internet.

I was told stories and read stories about the LE family surrounding brothers' and sisters' families in time of need. I thought I understood...

The last two weeks I have experienced that unconditional commitment. I have seen the immediate, unselfish actions to maintain a bit of normalcy in the midst of chaos. I have personally received the support of officers who know me only as one to whom their fellow officer entrusted his family.

Is LE unique in this professional family relationship? No.

Am I glad that this LE family is here, supporting us? Yep.

Y'all stay safe...your brother or sister, their family, they may need you tomorrow. Understand how important your being there for them will be!

I understand.

No need to reply...just needed to voice an opinion.

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921

Last edited by RussP; 10-18-2012 at 21:15..
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 21:56   #2
Cochese
CLM Number 209
Most mackinest

-texmex
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 22:34   #3
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

lawman800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 04:15   #4
Ship A'Hoy
Trigger Control

Speed is fine, accuracy is final.
Ship A'Hoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 04:41   #5
PinkoCommie
Unusual Member

We really are a family. Among us, we may bicker like the most dysfunctional family at the Thanksgiving dinner table. When something from the outside presents a threat, be it a politician, a criminal or an ugly disease, we support each other with all we have.
This wasn't me... --DaBigBR
I was hauling a large quotient of ass. --Cochese
PinkoCommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 04:55   #6
dpadams6

Nice post, Russ.
dpadams6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 07:17   #7
x_out86

Small things like this remind us that there are still decent, law abiding, appreciative of LEO's, people left somewhere out there.

Thanks Russ!
I long to accomplish a great and noble tasks, but it is my chief duty to accomplish humble tasks as though they were great and noble. The world is moved along, not only by the mighty shoves of its heroes, but also by the aggregate of the tiny pushes of each honest worker.
x_out86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:25   #8
jhon

Excellent, Russ
jhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:42   #9
scottydl

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussP View Post
Is LE unique in this professional family relationship?
No, but there aren't too many professions that would rival the LEO bond. Combat Military and Fire Service are the only two that come close, jobs that can turn deadly in 2 seconds and you know someone will always have your back... no matter what your personal differences.
scottydl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:50   #10
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydl View Post
No, but there aren't too many professions that would rival the LEO bond. Combat Military and Fire Service are the only two that come close, jobs that can turn deadly in 2 seconds and you know someone will always have your back... no matter what your personal differences.
But... But... Police don't have the deadliest jobs like crab fisherman or Olympic javelin catcher.
Old 10-19-2012, 14:57   #11
RussP

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawman800 View Post
But... But... Police don't have the deadliest jobs like crab fisherman or Olympic javelin catcher.
You know, sometimes you can be a real pain in the ass ( Yeah, people, I can call him a PITAI don't work where he works anymore)...but that is funny, I don't care who you are...

Old 10-19-2012, 15:02   #12
janice6
Platinum Membership
NRA

Ohana means family. Family means no body gets left behind... or forgotten!

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

Earp: Not everyone who knows you hates you.
DOC: I know it ain't always easy bein' my friend....but I'll BE THERE when you need me.
janice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 15:18   #13
RussP

Quote:
Originally Posted by x_out86 View Post

Small things like this remind us that there are still decent, law abiding, appreciative of LEO's, people left somewhere out there.

Thanks Russ!
I'm a little different, x_out86. I've walked the walk with some cops through some personal and professional challenges. I've also witnessed some great cops take risks standing up for citizens facing felony charges. There testimony exonerated those charged. Yeah, I have dealt with some real *******s, too. I guess it gives me a more complete perspective on what being a cop is like. I've seen and experienced the good, the bad, and the ugly, and yes, I also had lunch with Clint Eastwood one day in Carson City, NV...

One day last week I was talking with officers from Da Law's department about Da Law's brother who worked for the same department then went FBI a few years back. I said, "I hear he was a real good cop." They looked at me, and one said, "Yeah, he indeed was a cop, but when he went Fed, we revoked his real-cop-card."

Last edited by RussP; 10-19-2012 at 16:16..
Old 10-19-2012, 16:42   #14
Patchman
Florist

Quote:
No, not from being a cop, but from a couple three decades of working with LE, and in the last 6 years learning from many friends here and off the internet.

I was told stories and read stories about the LE family surrounding brothers' and sisters' families in time of need. I thought I understood...

The last two weeks I have experienced that unconditional commitment. I have seen the immediate, unselfish actions to maintain a bit of normalcy in the midst of chaos. I have personally received the support of officers who know me only as one to whom their fellow officer entrusted his family.

Is LE unique in this professional family relationship? No.

Am I glad that this LE family is here, supporting us? Yep.

Y'all stay safe...your brother or sister, their family, they may need you tomorrow. Understand how important your being there for them will be!

I understand.

No need to reply...just needed to voice an opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkoCommie View Post
We really are a family. Among us, we may bicker like the most dysfunctional family at the Thanksgiving dinner table. When something from the outside presents a threat, be it a politician, a criminal or an ugly disease, we support each other with all we have.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydl View Post
Yep, LE is a big dysfunctional family. That is, until it's game time. Most non-LE don't understand that because they've never been part of a bond that's forged in fire and ice and blood.

Russ, thanks for your understanding and support over the years.

In a gunfight, even if you do everything right, you can still get killed.

Last edited by Patchman; 10-19-2012 at 18:47..
Patchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 16:53   #15
Patchman
Florist

Quote:
One day last week I was talking with officers from Da Law's department about Da Law's brother who worked for the same department then went FBI a few years back. I said, "I hear he was a real good cop." They looked at me, and one said, "Yeah, he indeed was a cop, but when he went Fed, we revoked his real-cop-card."
Darn, Russ, don't discourage me!

I'm building my experience and resume to get into our local JTTF so I can drive a fancy take home car paid for by the feds. I only have 7 years left before retirement so my window of opportunity is the next two years. Wish me luck!

In a gunfight, even if you do everything right, you can still get killed.

Last edited by Patchman; 10-19-2012 at 17:42..
Patchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 18:54   #16
Detectorist

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawman800 View Post
Yea, if cops catch crabs, it's probably not from the ocean.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place. George Bernard Shaw
Detectorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 19:25   #17
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detectorist View Post
Yea, if cops catch crabs, it's probably not from the ocean.

Old 10-19-2012, 22:24   #18
Kingarthurhk
Isaiah 53:4-9

Quote:
I'm a little different, x_out86. I've walked the walk with some cops through some personal and professional challenges. I've also witnessed some great cops take risks standing up for citizens facing felony charges. There testimony exonerated those charged. Yeah, I have dealt with some real *******s, too. I guess it gives me a more complete perspective on what being a cop is like. I've seen and experienced the good, the bad, and the ugly, and yes, I also had lunch with Clint Eastwood one day in Carson City, NV...

That reminds me of when I left the Border Patrol to be an investigator. It was like being jumped out of a gang. There is a lot of hostility when you leave. In fact, when I relocated, there was a small Border Patrol Office in the same town next to our office. When they found out I was Border Patrol they didn't want to talk to me for a couple of months. Then we were cool with each other.

The funny thing is when you run into other former Border Patrol from other parts of law enforcement you may have a lukewarm meeting, because you may be working from different perspectives until the other guy finds out you were former Patrol. Then you compare class numbers. That is the first thing that is asked to size the other guy up, "What class were you in?" And then you are like long lost friends.

It is kind of what the Simper Fi thing is to Marines. Once green always green, you bleed green.

So, the guys who are currently ground pounding get a bit bent out of shape at first because you "left". But, those who have pounded that ground with you and have moved on even a decade later talk to you like it was only yesterday.

That is the best way I can explain it. Your revoking of the "cop-card" made me think of that.