SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-06-2012, 03:17   #1
NEOH212
Diesel Girl

US made 416?

Who else would like to have one? HK's MR 556 is a great gun but is lacking in a lot of ways. One big deal breaker for me was the absence of a chrome lined barrel!

Seriously HK, WTF?

Then there is no nitriding on the parts... Again, WTF?

Then there is the funky stock. I can deal with that since it's easily changed but come on HK, your HK, you can do better than that.

I'd much prefer if they would just produce something much more similar to the 416 in it's original configuration as is possible by law.

Do this HK, and I'll buy two!
Old 10-06-2012, 07:32   #2
MarcDW
MDW Guns

All these things you list are costing money.
Not that the MR223 cost almost twice as much!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
for current inventory
MarcDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:09   #3
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOH212 View Post
Who else would like to have one? HK's MR 556 is a great gun but is lacking in a lot of ways. One big deal breaker for me was the absence of a chrome lined barrel!

Seriously HK, WTF?

Then there is the funky stock. I can deal with that since it's easily changed but come on HK, your HK, you can do better than that.

I'd much prefer if they would just produce something much more similar to the 416 in it's original configuration as is possible by law.

If they'd put out upper kits (ie: complete upper, buffer and spring) for around $1,000 like was promised a while back, I'd happily buy one. Coughing up close to $5,000 for a grey market 10.5" upper is out of the question. That's about what it would cost me to replace my entire Mk. 18 clone, including optic, light, and stamp.
Old 10-06-2012, 17:36   #4
HalfHazzard
Señor Member

From: http://www.hk-usa.com/civilian_produ...56_general.asp

Quote:
But unlike the HK416, the MR556A1 does not use a chrome-lined barrel. Chrome-lining can sometimes mask bore imperfections and negatively affect accuracy. For the new series of Heckler & Koch semi-automatic MR rifles, HK designers and engineers believe best accuracy comes with an unlined bore.
They talk to the engineers so the customers don't have to.

I wish the pistol grip cost less than $70, I'd put one on my AR-15 if they did.

Last edited by HalfHazzard; 10-06-2012 at 17:45..
HalfHazzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 00:26   #5
NEOH212
Diesel Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcDW View Post
All these things you list are costing money.
Not that the MR223 cost almost twice as much!

That's certainly the unfortunate part of it. Maybe in the future with more US produced parts, that price will come down into the sane range.
Old 10-07-2012, 00:29   #6
NEOH212
Diesel Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodenPlank View Post
If they'd put out upper kits (ie: complete upper, buffer and spring) for around $1,000 like was promised a while back, I'd happily buy one. Coughing up close to $5,000 for a grey market 10.5" upper is out of the question. That's about what it would cost me to replace my entire Mk. 18 clone, including optic, light, and stamp.
We can still dream about it though! (And drool a little too)

Old 10-07-2012, 00:31   #7
NEOH212
Diesel Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfHazzard View Post

The ones I've seen haven't been anymore accurate than any other production AR style rifle. I think they just used that BS as a convenient excuse to not line the barrel. I still say they could have done better on this rifle.

(I still want one though! )
Old 10-07-2012, 00:32   #8
NEOH212
Diesel Girl

Quote:
I'm with you on the pistol grip. It feels nice but isn't worth the $70 they want for it.

(I'll still probably end up buying one anyhow...)
Old 10-07-2012, 04:09   #9
MarcDW
MDW Guns

Quote:
That's certainly the unfortunate part of it. Maybe in the future with more US produced parts, that price will come down into the sane range.
You don't understand the HK price policy.
The MR223 does not cost HK more then the 416 and if so it's minor.
The price of the MR223 is based on how much HK marketing figured that civilian customers will pay for the rifle.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
for current inventory
Old 10-07-2012, 11:35   #10
Kimura

Quote:

Seriously HK, WTF?

As Woodenplank said, the uppers are out there, you just have to be willing to pay the price for one and be patient about finding one because they don't often show up for sale. And the upper is really what you're looking for as you can use an AR lower with it. So, it's more of a pricing issue. Are you willing to pay market price for one?

I've said in the past that it's the best piston AR out there; however, for most people, LWRC will work just as well for a lot less money. For that matter, for most a Daniel Defense, Colt, BCM rifle will work just fine for their needs. If you just want an HK416, that's perfectly acceptable, but there's a cost for that. HK sells plenty of them to militaries and LEAs around the world. Selling a couple here and there on the civilian market isn't a big deal for them. Because let's be honest, while a lot of people say they want one, for what they would cost, most wouldn't ever buy one. The MR556 is $2500.00. The 416 price would be more than that. And it doesn't matter whether or not it costs them more to produce it, they know that if someone really wants one, they'll pay the price for it. I doubt they sell many MR556s, much less something more expensive.

HK is a company that has always relied on military and LEA contracts for the bulk of their business. The public has been secondary for them. That's their business model and while people criticize them for it, it works for them. It's a choice. They would rather provide weapons to the military. In return, as a private citizen, if you're willing to pay the price, you get weapons that are built to the highest standard and thoroughly tested before release. Is that important? That's up to you.
Kimura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:42   #11
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:

Quote:
I'm with you on the pistol grip. It feels nice but isn't worth the $70 they want for it.

(I'll still probably end up buying one anyhow...)

Psst....

Thank me later.

Same grip angle as the HK grip, and about a third the price.
Old 10-07-2012, 19:15   #12
NEOH212
Diesel Girl

Quote:
Psst....

Thank me later.

Like I said.....

Old 10-08-2012, 16:57   #13
quichedem

Do you really need an Hk? Have you considered any U.S. manufacturers that provide what you're looking for? I love my Hk just as much as the next person, but I don't feel that their take on the AR is any better than, say, LWRC. I've been fortunate enough to handle a real 416. Gemtech supressor and all. While robust, I don't think it was the end-all AR. So, to answer your question: No. I don't need to see one. Your money is your money, though.
Old 10-08-2012, 18:05   #14
MarcDW
MDW Guns

Quote:
Originally Posted by quichedem View Post
...Have you considered any U.S. manufacturers ...
Isn't the MR223 made in Portsmouth, NH like the HK45??
for current inventory
Old 10-11-2012, 18:26   #15
majette

chrome lining is a non-issue. most will not have their rifles in jungle humidity or shoot corrosive ammo.

hk is billing the mr in mr556 as a mATCH rIFLE, dont know of many match rifle shooters concerned about a chrome lined barrel.

i only have one ar with a chrome lined barrel and that is only because aac makes their .300blk that way.

no nitriding? have not seen anyone say it is a issue. you can always get it done later.

spend less time paying attention to what spec it doesnt/does have, buy one and spend more time shooting.

:-)
majette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 18:34   #16
Foxtrotx1

Quote:
Originally Posted by majette View Post
chrome lining is a non-issue. most will not have their rifles in jungle humidity or shoot corrosive ammo.

hk is billing the mr in mr556 as a mATCH rIFLE, dont know of many match rifle shooters concerned about a chrome lined barrel.

i only have one ar with a chrome lined barrel and that is only because aac makes their .300blk that way.

no nitriding? have not seen anyone say it is a issue. you can always get it done later.

spend less time paying attention to what spec it doesnt/does have, buy one and spend more time shooting.

Chrome lining is not just for corrosion protection. It greatly adds in reliability. Makes the chamber much slicker. The "match rifle" is bull****. People wanted a carbine not a bench gun.

Eagle Scout.

Last edited by Foxtrotx1; 10-11-2012 at 18:35..
Foxtrotx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:56   #17
majette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxtrotx1 View Post
Chrome lining is not just for corrosion protection. It greatly adds in reliability. Makes the chamber much slicker. The "match rifle" is bull****. People wanted a carbine not a bench gun.
i would say that hk knows how to build a reliable rifle and i would put the mr556 reliability up there with any top tier rifle maker.

keep in mind they have a govt that does not want 'weapons of war' in civilan hands. they were engineering the rifle with non standard pin locatiobs so yhe upper would not fit on standard lowers and it is why fealets can no longer sample hk416's to agencies as the uppers were being parted out to civvies after the demo.

most people who bash the mr556, even if it was identical to the 416 still would not buy one. people who do buy one know what they are getting and seem pleased with their choice.
majette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:26   #18
deeHKman
"It Is Written"

Quote:
Originally Posted by majette View Post

I agree plus metal's and ammo have come along way over the year's except for the Chinese ha ...

deeHKman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 20:01   #19
NEOH212
Diesel Girl

You have all made great points but seriously, they could at least have nitride treated the barrel. It's not like they don't have the facilities to do it and it couldn't cost them all that much.

Better metal or not, it still can be made better and be priced close to what it is now. I just expect more from HK at that price point.

This rifle has potential but is disappointing as it currently exists.
Old 10-13-2012, 20:03   #20
NEOH212
Diesel Girl

Quote:
Psst....

Thank me later.

For some of us, I guess it's the same thing as it is for those that pay three times what something's worth because it has the Harley Davidson logo on it.

I like it because it feels good in my hand but even more so because it says HK on it!