Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2012, 08:11   #1
muscogee
Senior Member
 
muscogee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 6,841


If Americans came from...

http://i.imgur.com/nzmwC.jpg

Enquiring minds want to know.
__________________
"We don't pay taxes. Only the little people pay taxes."

Leona Helmsley
muscogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:41   #2
FCoulter
Senior Member
 
FCoulter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 986
Quote:
Originally Posted by muscogee View Post
http://i.imgur.com/nzmwC.jpg

Enquiring minds want to know.
This should help explain it. http://cbcg.org/twobabylons.htm



FCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:28   #3
ArtificialGrape
CLM Number 265
Charter Lifetime Member
 
ArtificialGrape's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 5,950
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCoulter View Post
This should help explain it. http://cbcg.org/twobabylons.htm



I need you to help me out. What does your link have to do with how evolution is misunderstood or misrepresented around here?

-ArtificialGrape
ArtificialGrape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:02   #4
FCoulter
Senior Member
 
FCoulter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 986
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtificialGrape View Post
I need you to help me out. What does your link have to do with how evolution is misunderstood or misrepresented around here?

-ArtificialGrape
Have you read the book?
FCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:48   #5
ArtificialGrape
CLM Number 265
Charter Lifetime Member
 
ArtificialGrape's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 5,950
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCoulter View Post
Have you read the book?
No, but my time is valuable, and while I've read a number of the articles that you've presented, I'm not likely to read this without even a hint to its relevance.

Why don't you distill the best 2 or 3 points for us.

thanks,
-ArtificialGrape
ArtificialGrape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:52   #6
SDGlock23
Glockoholic
 
SDGlock23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Land of Forgetfulness
Posts: 7,671
When I grow up I want to finally figure out evolution, beings how it's so misrepresented and misunderstood, I'm just too dumb to comprehend it. Or maybe it's that I've got the discernment to know a lie when I see it.
__________________
"Condemnation without investigation is the height of ignorance."
SDGlock23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 12:07   #7
Glock36shooter
Senior Member
 
Glock36shooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDGlock23 View Post
Or maybe it's that I've got the discernment to know a lie when I see it.
That's exactly why you're not capable of grasping it. You don't even understand how off the mark this statement is. Evolution is conclusions drawn from mountains of evidence. It isn't a guy making a statement that may or may not be true. It's truth born of tons and tons of evidence and anything found to be untrue or impossible has already been discarded.
Glock36shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 13:46   #8
ArtificialGrape
CLM Number 265
Charter Lifetime Member
 
ArtificialGrape's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 5,950
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDGlock23 View Post
When I grow up I want to finally figure out evolution
It's not too late, but there's no reason to wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDGlock23 View Post
beings how it's so misrepresented and misunderstood
Around this forum, and by creationists in general, yes it is. If you think or claim that evolution claims that humans evolved from monkeys or modern apes or that we are the result of blind luck, then you misunderstand or misrepresent evolution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDGlock23 View Post
I'm just too dumb to comprehend it.
I don't think this is the problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDGlock23 View Post
Or maybe it's that I've got the discernment to know a lie when I see it.
This is clearly not the answer. More likely is that you allow yourself to be blinded by religious dogma when you perceive evidence contradicting your interpretation of scripture.

Given that there is evidence from:
  • the fossil record
  • DNA
  • embryology
  • microbiology
  • biogeography
  • ...
Is there any actual evidence that you would care to present in your support of the "lie" claim?

-ArtificialGrape
ArtificialGrape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 14:28   #9
muscogee
Senior Member
 
muscogee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 6,841


Quote:
Originally Posted by SDGlock23 View Post
When I grow up I want to finally figure out evolution, beings how it's so misrepresented and misunderstood, I'm just too dumb to comprehend it. Or maybe it's that I've got the discernment to know a lie when I see it.
Do you realize every generation since the crucifixion of Jesus thought it would be to one to see his return? He's still not here.
__________________
"We don't pay taxes. Only the little people pay taxes."

Leona Helmsley
muscogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 15:21   #10
G23Gen4TX
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by muscogee View Post
Do you realize every generation since the crucifixion of Jesus thought it would be to one to see his return? He's still not here.
Did you check the website in his signature?

If a monkey from the past travels in time and comes to tell him they are related he will still tell him Yehoshua is on the way. He is just stuck in traffic.
G23Gen4TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 19:02   #11
Geko45
CLM Number 135
Smartass Pilot
 
Geko45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Short final
Posts: 14,580


Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtificialGrape View Post
Is there any actual evidence that you would care to present in your support of the "lie" claim?
The key to understanding his statement is the word "discernment". When christians use this word they are not talking about the application of logic to come to a reasonable conclusion. What they mean is that they are applying biblical dogma to "discern" what is "holy" from what is "unholy". When you hear a christian use this word then you can forget about reasoning with them any further. You may as well argue with a brick wall.
__________________
Peace is our profession, war is just a hobby...


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Geko45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 19:13   #12
muscogee
Senior Member
 
muscogee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 6,841


Quote:
Originally Posted by G23Gen4TX View Post
Did you check the website in his signature?

If a monkey from the past travels in time and comes to tell him they are related he will still tell him Yehoshua is on the way. He is just stuck in traffic.
His sig is what I was responding to. Every generations thinks it will be the one. They're always wrong. Jesus said the people hearing him talk would live to see his return. Then the Church added the Millennial reign to give them until 1000 AD. That came and went and nothing happened. Then the New World was discovered (by the Europeans) and the Church decided the world wouldn't end until the American Indians had heard the Word of Christ. That has happened and the Jesus still hasn't come back. They're currently twisting in the wind, but I have no doubt some of them will find something to excuse the obvious. It's highly unlikely Jesus is going to come back.
__________________
"We don't pay taxes. Only the little people pay taxes."

Leona Helmsley

Last edited by muscogee; 10-06-2012 at 19:14..
muscogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 19:34   #13
Geko45
CLM Number 135
Smartass Pilot
 
Geko45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Short final
Posts: 14,580


Quote:
Originally Posted by muscogee View Post
They're currently twisting in the wind, but I have no doubt some of them will find something to excuse the obvious. It's highly unlikely Jesus is going to come back.
The latest interpretation is that the generation jesus spoke of was the one that saw the rebirth of Israel in 1948. My dad, an otherwise reasonable man, is convinced the rapture will occur in his lifetime because of this. It's a totally unsupported and absurd notion, but I don't challenge him on it as I love him very much and realize he won't be around forever.
__________________
Peace is our profession, war is just a hobby...


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by Geko45; 10-06-2012 at 19:40..
Geko45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 19:51   #14
ArtificialGrape
CLM Number 265
Charter Lifetime Member
 
ArtificialGrape's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 5,950
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDGlock23 View Post
When I grow up I want to finally figure out evolution, beings how it's so misrepresented and misunderstood, I'm just too dumb to comprehend it. Or maybe it's that I've got the discernment to know a lie when I see it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtificialGrape View Post
Is there any actual evidence that you would care to present in your support of the "lie" claim?
I almost forgot, perhaps you would care to direct us back to The Manifester (of zzith fame) explaining Lattilution vs. Evolution

-ArtificialGrape
ArtificialGrape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 20:06   #15
muscogee
Senior Member
 
muscogee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 6,841


Quote:
Originally Posted by Geko45 View Post
The latest interpretation is that the generation jesus spoke of was the one that saw the rebirth of Israel in 1948. My dad, an otherwise reasonable man, is convinced the rapture will occur in his lifetime because of this. It's a totally unsupported and absurd notion, but I don't challenge him on it as I love him very much and realize he won't be around forever.
I know what you mean. I don't discuss religion with my family. I have to lie to them or upset them.
__________________
"We don't pay taxes. Only the little people pay taxes."

Leona Helmsley
muscogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 23:13   #16
G23Gen4TX
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by muscogee View Post
His sig is what I was responding to. Every generations thinks it will be the one. They're always wrong. Jesus said the people hearing him talk would live to see his return. Then the Church added the Millennial reign to give them until 1000 AD. That came and went and nothing happened. Then the New World was discovered (by the Europeans) and the Church decided the world wouldn't end until the American Indians had heard the Word of Christ. That has happened and the Jesus still hasn't come back. They're currently twisting in the wind, but I have no doubt some of them will find something to excuse the obvious. It's highly unlikely Jesus is going to come back.
And I didn't even knew what the rapture is until I came to this country.

Well, Jeebus wasn't taking me anyways.
G23Gen4TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:30   #17
Woofie
CLM Number 293
Disirregardless
 
Woofie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Here
Posts: 10,088
Send a message via AIM to Woofie
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDGlock23 View Post
When I grow up I want to finally figure out evolution, beings how it's so misrepresented and misunderstood, I'm just too dumb to comprehend it. Or maybe it's that I've got the discernment to know a lie when I see it.
Such an ironic statement.

Why not actually learn about the theory before you claim it is a lie? AG wrote a good primer on this sub forum to get you started.
__________________
"Turns oit i had irrisputable proof i was out of the country" youngdocglock

"I don't need to figure probabilities, and I don't need facts." JBnTx

"Maybe they should drink like Woofie and come up with pure brilliance." OXCOPS

"Woofie is the only smart one around here." Photoman642
Woofie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:50   #18
Geko45
CLM Number 135
Smartass Pilot
 
Geko45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Short final
Posts: 14,580


Quote:
Originally Posted by FCoulter View Post
This should help explain it. http://cbcg.org/twobabylons.htm
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtificialGrape View Post
I need you to help me out. What does your link have to do with how evolution is misunderstood or misrepresented around here?
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCoulter View Post
Have you read the book?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtificialGrape View Post
No, but my time is valuable, and while I've read a number of the articles that you've presented, I'm not likely to read this without even a hint to its relevance.

Why don't you distill the best 2 or 3 points for us.
The book appears to be a criticism of the catholic church. It draws repeated analogies between it and the ancient Babylonians which are assumed (although not proved) to be corrupt by the author. It further makes the claim that the modern day catholic church is actually a direct continuation of the ancient Babylonian system in some way. The author's central thesis being that catholics aren't really christians.

I'm not fan of the catholic church (or any church for that matter), but what this has to do with the topic of the thread is a mystery to me. If there is a chapter that deals with the issue of evolution then I couldn't find it.
__________________
Peace is our profession, war is just a hobby...


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by Geko45; 10-07-2012 at 09:52..
Geko45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:16   #19
JBnTX
JB in Tx
 
JBnTX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 14,711
Quote:
Originally Posted by muscogee View Post
Do you realize every generation since the crucifixion of Jesus thought it would be to one to see his return? He's still not here.
You're misunderstanding the term "generation".
It doesn't mean a human life span.

Our present "generation" began with Adam and will end in the Book of Revelations.

That's what Jesus was referring to when he said, "this generation will by no means pass away until it sees the coming of the Son of Man".

Guys like you are totally lost in the details of the Bible and fail to see the true message it contains.

If you imagine evolution as the foundation and then overlay it with the creation theory, you'd realize that's there's plenty of room for both.

God has created man and inserted him into the evolution process at different intervals of time. Man has not and never will "evolve", yet he exists in the evolution process.
JBnTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:14   #20
Geko45
CLM Number 135
Smartass Pilot
 
Geko45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Short final
Posts: 14,580


Quote:
Originally Posted by JBnTX View Post
Our present "generation" began with Adam and will end in the Book of Revelations.

That's what Jesus was referring to when he said, "this generation will by no means pass away until it sees the coming of the Son of Man".

Guys like you are totally lost in the details of the Bible and fail to see the true message it contains.
More "discernment" being used in the place of logic and basic reading comprehension.
__________________
Peace is our profession, war is just a hobby...


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by Geko45; 10-07-2012 at 11:54..
Geko45 is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 00:52.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 710
159 Members
551 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,672
Aug 11, 2014 at 2:31