FCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:28   #3
ArtificialGrape
CLM Number 265
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCoulter View Post
This should help explain it. http://cbcg.org/twobabylons.htm

I need you to help me out. What does your link have to do with how evolution is misunderstood or misrepresented around here?

-ArtificialGrape
ArtificialGrape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:02   #4
FCoulter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtificialGrape View Post
I need you to help me out. What does your link have to do with how evolution is misunderstood or misrepresented around here?

-ArtificialGrape
Have you read the book?
FCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:48   #5
ArtificialGrape
CLM Number 265
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Have you read the book?
No, but my time is valuable, and while I've read a number of the articles that you've presented, I'm not likely to read this without even a hint to its relevance.

Why don't you distill the best 2 or 3 points for us.

thanks,
-ArtificialGrape
Old 10-06-2012, 11:52   #6
SDGlock23
Glockoholic

When I grow up I want to finally figure out evolution, beings how it's so misrepresented and misunderstood, I'm just too dumb to comprehend it. Or maybe it's that I've got the discernment to know a lie when I see it.
Old 10-06-2012, 12:07   #7
Glock36shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDGlock23 View Post
Or maybe it's that I've got the discernment to know a lie when I see it.
That's exactly why you're not capable of grasping it. You don't even understand how off the mark this statement is. Evolution is conclusions drawn from mountains of evidence. It isn't a guy making a statement that may or may not be true. It's truth born of tons and tons of evidence and anything found to be untrue or impossible has already been discarded.
Glock36shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 13:46   #8
ArtificialGrape
CLM Number 265
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
When I grow up I want to finally figure out evolution
It's not too late, but there's no reason to wait.

Quote:
beings how it's so misrepresented and misunderstood
Around this forum, and by creationists in general, yes it is. If you think or claim that evolution claims that humans evolved from monkeys or modern apes or that we are the result of blind luck, then you misunderstand or misrepresent evolution.

Quote:
I'm just too dumb to comprehend it.
I don't think this is the problem.
Quote:
Or maybe it's that I've got the discernment to know a lie when I see it.
This is clearly not the answer. More likely is that you allow yourself to be blinded by religious dogma when you perceive evidence contradicting your interpretation of scripture.

Given that there is evidence from:
  • the fossil record
  • DNA
  • embryology
  • microbiology
  • biogeography
Is there any actual evidence that you would care to present in your support of the "lie" claim?

-ArtificialGrape
Old 10-06-2012, 14:28   #9
muscogee

Quote:
When I grow up I want to finally figure out evolution, beings how it's so misrepresented and misunderstood, I'm just too dumb to comprehend it. Or maybe it's that I've got the discernment to know a lie when I see it.
Do you realize every generation since the crucifixion of Jesus thought it would be to one to see his return? He's still not here.

Leona Helmsley
muscogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 15:21   #10
G23Gen4TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscogee View Post
Do you realize every generation since the crucifixion of Jesus thought it would be to one to see his return? He's still not here.
Did you check the website in his signature?

If a monkey from the past travels in time and comes to tell him they are related he will still tell him Yehoshua is on the way. He is just stuck in traffic.
G23Gen4TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 19:02   #11
Geko45
CLM Number 135
Smartass Pilot

Quote:
Is there any actual evidence that you would care to present in your support of the "lie" claim?
The key to understanding his statement is the word "discernment". When christians use this word they are not talking about the application of logic to come to a reasonable conclusion. What they mean is that they are applying biblical dogma to "discern" what is "holy" from what is "unholy". When you hear a christian use this word then you can forget about reasoning with them any further. You may as well argue with a brick wall.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Geko45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 19:13   #12
muscogee

Quote:
Originally Posted by G23Gen4TX View Post
Did you check the website in his signature?

If a monkey from the past travels in time and comes to tell him they are related he will still tell him Yehoshua is on the way. He is just stuck in traffic.
His sig is what I was responding to. Every generations thinks it will be the one. They're always wrong. Jesus said the people hearing him talk would live to see his return. Then the Church added the Millennial reign to give them until 1000 AD. That came and went and nothing happened. Then the New World was discovered (by the Europeans) and the Church decided the world wouldn't end until the American Indians had heard the Word of Christ. That has happened and the Jesus still hasn't come back. They're currently twisting in the wind, but I have no doubt some of them will find something to excuse the obvious. It's highly unlikely Jesus is going to come back.

Leona Helmsley

Last edited by muscogee; 10-06-2012 at 19:14..
Old 10-06-2012, 19:34   #13
Geko45
CLM Number 135
Smartass Pilot

Quote:
They're currently twisting in the wind, but I have no doubt some of them will find something to excuse the obvious. It's highly unlikely Jesus is going to come back.
The latest interpretation is that the generation jesus spoke of was the one that saw the rebirth of Israel in 1948. My dad, an otherwise reasonable man, is convinced the rapture will occur in his lifetime because of this. It's a totally unsupported and absurd notion, but I don't challenge him on it as I love him very much and realize he won't be around forever.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by Geko45; 10-06-2012 at 19:40..
Old 10-06-2012, 19:51   #14
ArtificialGrape
CLM Number 265
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Quote:
I almost forgot, perhaps you would care to direct us back to The Manifester (of zzith fame) explaining Lattilution vs. Evolution

-ArtificialGrape
Old 10-06-2012, 20:06   #15
muscogee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geko45 View Post
The latest interpretation is that the generation jesus spoke of was the one that saw the rebirth of Israel in 1948. My dad, an otherwise reasonable man, is convinced the rapture will occur in his lifetime because of this. It's a totally unsupported and absurd notion, but I don't challenge him on it as I love him very much and realize he won't be around forever.
I know what you mean. I don't discuss religion with my family. I have to lie to them or upset them.

Leona Helmsley
Old 10-06-2012, 23:13   #16
G23Gen4TX

Quote:
His sig is what I was responding to. Every generations thinks it will be the one. They're always wrong. Jesus said the people hearing him talk would live to see his return. Then the Church added the Millennial reign to give them until 1000 AD. That came and went and nothing happened. Then the New World was discovered (by the Europeans) and the Church decided the world wouldn't end until the American Indians had heard the Word of Christ. That has happened and the Jesus still hasn't come back. They're currently twisting in the wind, but I have no doubt some of them will find something to excuse the obvious. It's highly unlikely Jesus is going to come back.
And I didn't even knew what the rapture is until I came to this country.

Well, Jeebus wasn't taking me anyways.
G23Gen4TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:30   #17
Woofie
CLM Number 293
Disirregardless

Send a message via AIM to Woofie
Quote:
Such an ironic statement.

Why not actually learn about the theory before you claim it is a lie? AG wrote a good primer on this sub forum to get you started.

"I don't need to figure probabilities, and I don't need facts." JBnTx

"Maybe they should drink like Woofie and come up with pure brilliance." OXCOPS

"Woofie is the only smart one around here." Photoman642
Woofie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:50   #18
Geko45
CLM Number 135
Smartass Pilot

Quote:
This should help explain it. http://cbcg.org/twobabylons.htm
Quote:
Quote:
Have you read the book?
Quote:
No, but my time is valuable, and while I've read a number of the articles that you've presented, I'm not likely to read this without even a hint to its relevance.

Why don't you distill the best 2 or 3 points for us.
The book appears to be a criticism of the catholic church. It draws repeated analogies between it and the ancient Babylonians which are assumed (although not proved) to be corrupt by the author. It further makes the claim that the modern day catholic church is actually a direct continuation of the ancient Babylonian system in some way. The author's central thesis being that catholics aren't really christians.

I'm not fan of the catholic church (or any church for that matter), but what this has to do with the topic of the thread is a mystery to me. If there is a chapter that deals with the issue of evolution then I couldn't find it.

Last edited by Geko45; 10-07-2012 at 09:52..
Old 10-07-2012, 10:16   #19
JBnTX
JB in Tx

Quote:
You're misunderstanding the term "generation".
It doesn't mean a human life span.

Our present "generation" began with Adam and will end in the Book of Revelations.

That's what Jesus was referring to when he said, "this generation will by no means pass away until it sees the coming of the Son of Man".

Guys like you are totally lost in the details of the Bible and fail to see the true message it contains.

If you imagine evolution as the foundation and then overlay it with the creation theory, you'd realize that's there's plenty of room for both.

God has created man and inserted him into the evolution process at different intervals of time. Man has not and never will "evolve", yet he exists in the evolution process.
JBnTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:14   #20
Geko45
CLM Number 135
Smartass Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBnTX View Post
Our present "generation" began with Adam and will end in the Book of Revelations.

That's what Jesus was referring to when he said, "this generation will by no means pass away until it sees the coming of the Son of Man".

Guys like you are totally lost in the details of the Bible and fail to see the true message it contains.
More "discernment" being used in the place of logic and basic reading comprehension.

Last edited by Geko45; 10-07-2012 at 11:54..