Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-07-2012, 06:10   #26
H&K 4 LIFE
Leonum A Ignis

In CT, your carry permit is your license to purchase a handgun. It also allows you to purchase long arms and take them home the same day without the 15 day waiting period. Therefore, I know many people who obtain their permit and never carry.

A person who says they are obtaining their permit does not necessarily lead me to conclude that person actually intends to carry.
Old 10-07-2012, 07:57   #27
Lowjiber

You won't find me on Facebook, Twitter, or any other "social media" site.

Besides, I don't give a damn if someone I know is getting ready to go to the frickin grocery store.

I have a life...Thank You.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE

Last edited by Lowjiber; 10-07-2012 at 07:57..
Lowjiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:03   #28
G23Gen4.40
.40 Rocks

I find it funny how people rag on Facebook (a social media site) on Glocktalk (a social media site).
G23Gen4.40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:08   #29
Louisville Glocker
Urban Redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowjiber View Post
You won't find me on Facebook, Twitter, or any other "social media" site.

Besides, I don't give a damn if someone I know is getting ready to go to the frickin grocery store.

I have a life...Thank You.
Hilarious....so you are posting on a social media site (that is what Glock Talk is) saying we won't find you on any social media site.

Found ya!

P.S. But if you don't consider forums to be social media, that is ok. Semantics....but there is certainly a fine line. And forums are really the precursor to the more advanced social media sites. But in many many aspects they are the same thing.

p.p.s. I do worry about posting too much info on Facebook, but of course it is only viewable to friends. I'm careful about who I'll be friends with on FB. I never say I'm going out of town in advance. And I try not to make statements or comments that could come back to haunt me if someone were to read it later. (i.e future employer, background check, security clearance, etc). You have to be careful about what you post ANYWHERE. And that certainly includes here at GT.

Last edited by Louisville Glocker; 10-07-2012 at 08:16..
Louisville Glocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:26   #30
SpringerTGO

If someone wants the world to know he/she is attending a CC class, I'd say it was their decision. If you don't want people to know you went to the class, that's your business. If you do, that's your business as well.
I wouldn't call someone names for making a choice. It amazes me how so many people here spout off about 2A rights, then go on to slam others for not using them in a manner they deem "appropriate".

On a positive note, maybe if some of the guys friends on facebook see their buddy getting a permit, it might encourage them to look into it. And the more people see their friends doing it, the more mainstream and acceptable it could become.
SpringerTGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:37   #31
Darkangel1846

You never tell anyone that you carry!
Old 10-07-2012, 10:15   #32
Jud325

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkangel1846 View Post
You never tell anyone that you carry!
I don't need to. I OC.
Jud325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 16:24   #33
Chuck66
Traveling Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaneA View Post
You know, maybe by his posting someone else got interested in carrying and shooting sports and our fight gained one more soldier. Stop being so darned paranoid about people knowing if you are carrying.
That's where I come down on it. The only people who can see what I put on FB are the ones I've friended. I take it as an opportunity to show those not familiar with shooting sports and the idea of being responsible for ones own safety that the normal guy they work with and go to church with etc. is a gun guy too.

It's apparent that I'm approachable if anyone has a question about entering the shooting world, and it's happened. People have asked me to take them to the range for the first time. I like to think I made a 2nd Amendment voter out of them. . That would have never happened if I acted like every person on earth was looking for a chance to steal my guns. Be an advocate for the gun community.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Freemason's Lodge #66

Behold! How swiftly the sands run, and how rapidly our lives are drawing to a close.
Chuck66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 19:25   #34
vmann
Controller

your making a big deal out of nothing....

U.S. ARMY
vmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 00:20   #35
JW1178

I watch what I post online. Especially FB, where privacy is a joke no matter what your settings are and puts your name and everything right there. Easy access for big brother. Keep a low profile when it comes to guns. At least on hear it would take some work to figure out who it is that is actually posting. I am limited to what I say here.
JW1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 00:27   #36
Schlitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarandScotch View Post
A friend of mine, bless his heart, is nice as can be...but is as dumb as a post. He posted on facebook that he and his girlfriend were on their way to their concealed carry class!

I sent him a private message advising him against it (told him "concealed means concealed!"), but since he was on his phone rather than at a PC, he had no way to delete it. As I said, he is a super nice guy, but he is always doing things that cause me to shake my head in disbelief...
How is this stupid? Shake your head in disbelief? All he said was he was going to a concealed carry class. Who cares? Are you in the D.C. area or anywhere in Illinois? That's the only thing I could think of where it'd be stupid to advertise anything about carrying handguns.

Not everyone cares about concealment like you, we don't all pretend to be Jason Bourne...
Old 10-08-2012, 11:09   #37
G26AZ

I have a friend who knows I carry pull up to me when i was walking with my wife and some other people one day and ask "you got protection with you?" I looked at him with sort of a STFU face and said "protection from what?". He goes, "You know, PROTECTION!" At that point I pulled out my wallet and said "if you're asking to borrow a condom, I don't have one on me right now." At that point, he looked puzzled and drove off.

The next time I talked to him alone, I made sure that he understood "The first rule of CCW Club is that we NEVER talk about CCW Club." (apologies to Fight CLub). He finally understood why I had acted so dumb the previous meeting. Some times u just gotta edjumacate the sheeple . . . .
G26AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:23   #38
Angry Fist
Lifetime Membership
The Original®

Quote:
Originally Posted by concretefuzzynuts View Post
I'm not into Facebook and have no interest in it.

Some of my close friends don't know I carry, some do. I got in a discussion about guns with a friend once. He works in a bad neighborhood and I commented on the idea of carrying. "Like this?", he said and showed me his 1911. "Yup", I said and showed him my LCR from my pocket.

It shows you that neither of us knew each other was carrying.
I for one think it's cool to know some good, like-minded shooters in your area/circle. Not many need to know, but if one were to shut themselves away too much, there wouldn't be much of a community.
I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, s**t-kickers, Methodists, and the GTDS.
Angry Fist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 19:15   #39
SCmasterblaster

I guess that there are three ways to carry now. Open, CCW, and FBCCW (!)
Old 10-09-2012, 00:52   #40
Adams454

Quote:
Originally Posted by G26AZ View Post
I have a friend who knows I carry pull up to me when i was walking with my wife and some other people one day and ask "you got protection with you?" I looked at him with sort of a STFU face and said "protection from what?".

Some times u just gotta edjumacate the sheeple . . . .

If anyone asked me that I would have said "of course" and went on about my day.

One of you turds is about to get smacked in the mouth. - Texas Ranger Bobby
Adams454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:06   #41
vafish

Considering my Facebook page says I am a NRA instructor and a rifle coach everyone who can see it can make a pretty easy assumption that I carry.

I find it rather ironic that someone who makes a living as a gun writer would tell everyone else that concealed means concealed don't tell anyone you carry. That's hypocrisy right there.

educate children." -- Confucius
vafish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:14   #42
AtlantaR6

I think the OP is over reacting, even to the point of having him delete his post quickly?

Who cares? It's like a 25 year old saying he is having drinks tonight at dinner. OMG, what if a cop sees that and starts following him?
AtlantaR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:52   #43
redbaron007
Lifetime Membership
A Nice Prick

It's a big whoopdeedooo about nothing.

As several others have stated, you post on GT (social media) and they post on FB......not a lot of difference and on FB only the people you have befriended can see it, or those who stumble onto your page, which they would have to be looking for it. At GT, I just go to a thread and see who says "concealed means concealed" to give me a good idea of who carrys.

Since I OC some, many people that know me assume I may be carrying if it's not visible.

red
TopGun *357sig* Club - #2632

R.I.P. Cajunator® ~ R.I.P. Mullah (aka El Ron)
R.I.P. GioaJack ~ R.I.P. Okie
redbaron007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:28   #44
OctoberRust
Anti-Federalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee2718 View Post
People make too big of a deal about the concealed means concealed. I think it makes them feel like James Bond. Some people are so paranoid that they won't tell their wife they carry. I think those people need some serious help.

This.

Even not letting friends know? You're just setting yourself up for awkward moments. To each their own though. I guess if the OP wants to come across as an arrogant mall ninja, thinking the world is out to get him, then by all means!

This is also why stereo-types like such exist in the gun community.
OctoberRust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:44   #45
Yankee2718

I think that everyone I am close friends with knows I carry. I'm an LEO, but that doesnt change the game. Nowadays people are so wrapped up in their iPhone that they won't have a clue. I've never had an awkward moment I couldn't think my way out of. The 2nd rule of CCW CLUB is think on your feet. Evade detection.
Yankee2718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:01   #46
CigarandScotch
Fartacus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlitz View Post
How is this stupid? Shake your head in disbelief? All he said was he was going to a concealed carry class. Who cares? Are you in the D.C. area or anywhere in Illinois? That's the only thing I could think of where it'd be stupid to advertise anything about carrying handguns.

Not everyone cares about concealment like you, we don't all pretend to be Jason Bourne...
I don't pretend to be anyone. I just think advertising it is stupid. Others disagree. No need to be try to be insulting about it...obviously it struck a nerve with you, since you chose to end your little rant with an wise crack and a . Glad you could entertain yourself.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:30   #47
Filhar

I'm a "gun guy". I shoot Cowboy Action and promote shooting sports and oc or concealed carry all the time. I'm not ashamed of my ideas or am afraid to support them. If friends or acquaintances have issues, that's their problem. Come out of the closet and share what you believe or live with the sheep.
Filhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 15:24   #48
CigarandScotch
Fartacus

I may "live with the sheep" in your perception, but I protect my own and I refuse to go down without a fight. My friends and family know what I'm about.

But the general population doesn't, and it's none of their business. That's the point of it, see? I don't want to advertise; I want to blend in. I would rather an attacker be unaware of my presence until he has a gaping chest wound to think about. Then he'll know I was carrying.
Old 10-09-2012, 15:30   #49
DaneA

Quote:
I may "live with the sheep" in your perception, but I protect my own and I refuse to go down without a fight. My friends and family know what I'm about.

But the general population doesn't, and it's none of their business. That's the point of it, see? I don't want to advertise; I want to blend in. I would rather an attacker be unaware of my presence until he has a gaping chest wound to think about. Then he'll know I was carrying.
Way to backtrack

DaneA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 15:55   #50
SpringerTGO

Quote:
I don't pretend to be anyone. I just think advertising it is stupid. Others disagree. No need to be try to be insulting about it...obviously it struck a nerve with you, since you chose to end your little rant with an wise crack and a . Glad you could entertain yourself.
Look at the title of your thread. It's o.k. for you to be insulting, but not people who disagree with you.

Not to be insulting, but isn't that hypocritical?
SpringerTGO is offline   Reply With Quote