SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-02-2014, 22:41   #1
Andy W

Remington 870P rifle sights

Rant follows....

Guys, I can't find an 870P at any of the local gun shops. Most of them don't even know what I'm talking about and they just hand me the 870 Tactical and say its a police model. So I call them ****ing idiots and leave. Ok not really but I'm thinking it. That is what happened to me today when checking out a larger gun shop in Junction City, KS. I go in there to look at an 870P and then the salesman tries to talk me into a Mossberg 500 Cruiser since I told him I was looking into an HD shotgun. Maybe he sells a lot of those to 19 year old military guys out of Fort Riley idk. But I would think that if you have a guy that comes into your store interested in a Remington 870P, you would at least make an effort to find out what it is and definitely not try to talk him into a gun half the price.

But anyway, I'm interested in an 870P, particularly one with rifle sights. However I'd like to look at one in person to see if I can tell any differnece in craftsmanship or quality over an express. None of the local shops carry them or even know what they are typically. What do the rifle sights on an 870P barrel look like though? Is it a 3 dot configuration with a big notch cut out in the rear and a post up front like modern pistol sights? Or are the sights smaller like the old style open rifle sights?

Last edited by Andy W; 09-02-2014 at 22:55..
Andy W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 08:14   #2
F_G

My 870P has the factory ghost ring sights, but my 11-87P has the factory rifle sights, rear "U" notch with a small front brass bead. My 700 Remington rifle has the same sights.

I'm not saying they aren't available, but I have never seen Remington factory rifle sights in a 3 dot configuration. Rifles and shotguns have a much longer sight radius than a pistol, not sure a 3 dot system would work very well.

Last edited by F_G; 09-03-2014 at 08:16..
F_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 10:47   #3
aippi

All Remington barrels are made the same so quality from a Police to the Express to the Wingmaster is no different. There are plenty on Gun Broker for sale by good sellers. One seller has the 18.5" Police with rifle sights in Cyl Bore or I/C or Modified or even the XS low profile. He has over 2,830 feedbacks and all of them are A+ and he has never had less. So if you had any issue, the barrel would be replaced or money refunded. You can't beat that. Really no need to see one first.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Remington LE Armorer
Mossberg LE Armorer

Last edited by aippi; 09-03-2014 at 10:48..
aippi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 14:45   #4
Andy W

Quote:
Originally Posted by aippi View Post
All Remington barrels are made the same so quality from a Police to the Express to the Wingmaster is no different. There are plenty on Gun Broker for sale by good sellers. One seller has the 18.5" Police with rifle sights in Cyl Bore or I/C or Modified or even the XS low profile. He has over 2,830 feedbacks and all of them are A+ and he has never had less. So if you had any issue, the barrel would be replaced or money refunded. You can't beat that. Really no need to see one first.
Yes I know the barrels are the same. The first part of the post was about wanting to check out a Remington 870P to comapare to an 870 express HD. I know you can tell a difference on the wingmasters, smoother action, better fit and finish, etc and I was wanting to see if the same would be true on the Police models.
Andy W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 12:51   #5
aippi

And there is only one 870 and they are built from the exact same parts with only one or two small parts being different and that is for Marketing.

I would never pay the price for a P model unless I needed the Parkerized finish.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Remington LE Armorer
Mossberg LE Armorer
aippi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 13:57   #6
Buffering
The Cooler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy W View Post
Yes I know the barrels are the same. The first part of the post was about wanting to check out a Remington 870P to comapare to an 870 express HD. I know you can tell a difference on the wingmasters, smoother action, better fit and finish, etc and I was wanting to see if the same would be true on the Police models.
Andy,

Recently JD built for me an 870 in 20 gauge and we all know there's no such thing as an 870P in 20 gauge. He upgraded all the internal parts to the same ones that are found in the 870P and for all practical purposes, I own an 870P but in a different gauge.

There is no functioning difference in the internal parts between the two different models.

I also own an 18 year old 870P so I truly can do a compare and contrast between the two guns. The Express, except for those couple of tiny parts readily changed, finish and furniture, is the same gun as the 870P.

If you're thinking about a custom 870 it's going to be refinished anyway and the Express is a good platform to build off of.
"Of every 100 men that go to battle 70 should not even be there, 20 are nothing but targets, 9 are true soldiers, and we are lucky to have them for they the battle make but ONE, one is a warrior, and HE will bring the others home." Hericlitus
Buffering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 14:01   #7
Aceman

[disregard]

Last edited by Aceman; 09-08-2014 at 14:02..
Aceman is offline   Reply With Quote