GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-06-2012, 21:13   #1
19crew

How long did it take you to get used to...

the glock trigger?

I'm always shooting left and low to the left. I've tried every backstrap configuration and none of them seem to make a difference. I've consciously checked my finger pad position to no avail. Sitting at about 1k through my 19, can't hit **** with it.

Now my rear sight is kicked almost all the way to the right side of the slide, could this be the issue?

Thoughts? Ideas?

BTW - Gen 4, no malfunctions other than the shooter.
19crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 21:24   #2
crashoverrideplik

I was a Glock shooter for many years then discovered the 1911 platform and switched. I've started shooting Glocks again. A minus connector,.25 cent polish job and a Wolf comp spring kit has made the trigger better to shoot for me. Adding the beavertail by Grip Force Adapter has helped too. YRMV
crashoverrideplik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 21:37   #3
janice6
Platinum Membership
NRA

It was a short while until someone on GT posted about staging the trigger and releasing to reset, then squeezing again. . After that it was great, no mashing of the trigger. Do it gently and watch for accidental doubles in the same spot.

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

Earp: Not everyone who knows you hates you.
DOC: I know it ain't always easy bein' my friend....but I'll BE THERE when you need me.
janice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 22:21   #4
cciman

check your eye dominance, and eye behavior (both eyes open?)

shoot off a rest to establish that the sight is properly aligned with where the muzzle points-- go with groupings, not individual shots.

get professional help in proper grip. stance, trigger control.

Take slack off trigger before committing the aim/shot.
cciman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 22:34   #5
Clutch Cargo
Amsterdam Haze

I still have not.
Old 10-06-2012, 23:03   #6
Trapped_in_Kali

Took me about 500-600 to wear it in and start getting used to it. I'm at 1k-1200 and still not 100% but getting better.
Trapped_in_Kali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 23:11   #7
SCSU74
St. Cloud Proud

Sounds like more of a grip issue. I grip the **** out of the gun and drift my sights accordingly

Sent from my iPhone... which probably auto-corrected something wrong
Old 10-06-2012, 23:18   #8
crashoverrideplik

Finding the rest and being able to keep it there is the key IMO to shooting a Glock well and consistant. I could tell in the last GSSF match when I went past the reset and did a full pull of the trigger that shot was left of it's intended placement everytime.
crashoverrideplik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 23:25   #9
MadMonkey
Spershul Furces

Send a message via AIM to MadMonkey Send a message via Yahoo to MadMonkey
Took me no time at all. I went about 7-8 years without shooting a Glock after getting disgusted with my first one (a 19, wouldn't fire an entire mag without several malfunctions).

Shot a practice match before a Glock match with a friend's 17 and couldn't believe how well I shot it. Getting used to the reset is the key, but I love the trigger, period, along with the grip angle. It's very natural for me.
MadMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 23:29   #10
Travelin' Jack
Misinformed

Have you shot any other Glocks? I shot my Glock 19 the same way, but I have a 20SF, 29SF, 17 and 26 that shoot true. I think it's the grip that I can't get past. I'm sending my Glock 32 (same frame as Glock 19) off to get the palm swell removed. Hopefully that takes care of it.
Travelin' Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 23:40   #11
Cole125
Silver Membership

It took me about a year and 4000 rounds before I got used to the Glock trigger and could consistently put shots where I wanted them to go. It takes practice and patience, but you will get it.

Last edited by Cole125; 10-06-2012 at 23:40..
Cole125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:39   #12
Sniff

My standard answer every time this topic comes up:

Long winded post follows but it works if you follow it.

I spent three years teaching this almost every working day on the Police range where I was an instructor. Not trying to blow my own trumpet, but I know of what I speak.

It is a trigger control problem.

Line up on the target with a (fairly relaxed) two handed grip. Both thumbs towards the target.

Align the sights and take the slack out of the trigger.

Once you take the slack out of the trigger, you must use a steady pull to the rear.

Ensure you are not tightening your fingers as you pull the trigger. Remember the support hand should do 60-70% of the gripping. And it's not a tight grip!

Relax your master hand. Align the sights, take the slack out of the trigger, check sight alignment and pull the trigger with a slow, steady pull until it fires. Keep the trigger held to the rear for a second or so before resetting the trigger.

Just let the trigger out until you feel it reset and no more. Then take up the pressure for subsequent shots from the reset position. Don't take you finger off the trigger between shots.

Glocks have a fairly long trigger pull compared to many other pistols. This may be one of the reasons many (right handed) shooters find them to shoot low and left.

Think to yourself: Slow, steady pull.

Try to have only the first pad of your trigger finger on the trigger. If you have the finger too far onto the trigger, you can push the gun sideways when you want to pull the trigger straight to the rear. Bend from the first knuckle, not where the finger joins the hand.

Try some dry fire too. Dry fire the action a few times while watching the front sight. (Which is what you should be watching anyway.

When you can operate the trigger without the front sight dipping or moving left as the action fires, that's about how steadily you need to operate the trigger.

Another great dry fire technique is to have some else ballance an empty case on the muzzle of the pistol. Just beside the front sight. Make sure your trigger control is smooth enough so that the case stays there when the trigger is pulled.

Then, while holding the trigger to the rear, work the slide to reset the trigger. Have the empty case replaced on the muzzle and keep it there while you let the trigger out to the reset position and pull the trigger again. Do that half a dozen times and it will make a real difference to your shooting.

Have someone mix in a few drill rounds into your magazine. If your muzzle takes a dive when you hit a drill round, you can be sure that your trigger operation is too quick or jerky. (Ball and Dummy drill.)

Watch the front sight! That's what is waving around. If you are trying to see your holes in the target, you cant see see where your sights are aligned.

You can't focus on both at once. If a paper target is stapled to a board, it's not going anywhere. You will still see it in the distance, but focus on the front sight. That's what's moving around and throwing your shots off target.

Front sight, squeeze slowly!
Sniff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:09   #13
RonS

Only took me a few rounds, but I had shot dozens of different guns by the time I tried a Glock. I think revolver shooters have less trouble transitioning to the Glock than the average shooter used to guns like a 1911.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:13   #14
barth
six barrels

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonS View Post
Only took me a few rounds, but I had shot dozens of different guns by the time I tried a Glock. I think revolver shooters have less trouble transitioning to the Glock than the average shooter used to guns like a 1911.
+1
I like it when I don't have to type - LOL!
barth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:16   #15
PrecisionRifleman

Comments made about pulling the trigger from the reset point will help. Also practicing at home on your grip and trigger control will help also. If you are shooting to the left and right 1 of 2 things are happening either at the same time or just one of them (they both will cause you to shoot left and right). The first is the grip, a slightly off grip will throw your sight picture off and cause you to shoot to the left or right. The 2nd is how much trigger finger is on the trigger. If you are wrapping too much finger around the trigger you will pull right when you shoot so your rounds will impact to the right. Shooting left is most likely a result of a bad grip. Putting those two issues together and you've got rounds going left and right.

Try focusing on getting your trigger finger on the trigger so that the pad of the first joint of your on your finger is on the trigger. Then focus on pulling the trigger from the point of reset straight back. That should help you keep from pulling the weapon to the right when you fire. It will take some practice, but you will get it.

I had to focus on this during range practice after going from the G20SF to the G23. The difference in grip impacts how much trigger finger I get on the trigger, and I was initially pulling right when I first started shooting my Gen 4 G23. Part of this is that I need to put the medium backstrap on so I will have a little longer reach to the trigger consequently giving me a more natural placement of my trigger finger on the trigger. You may want to experiment with backstraps to see what gives you the most natural grip/length of pull on the trigger in addition to the above.

G20SF
Gen4 G23
PrecisionRifleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:34   #16
bac1023

I've never been able to get completely used it it.

Its no doubt because I don't spend much shooting them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:39   #17
Hawker Man

Sniff, that's all good instruction and I fully agree. I'd like to add one more point.
As you sight the gun at the target, the gun WILL move, it is impossible to hold it perfectly still, some are steadier than others but ALL move some. The shooter should never anticipate the shot, that is as the gun moves toward the target the shooter should NEVER think "Here it comes, get ready shoot NOW". That is a sure recipe for a low left shot, for a right handed person.
Let the gun move, try to limit it's movement as much as possible, and continue to slowly apply ever increasing pressure on the trigger. You will find your groups centered on the target, perhaps a larger group than you would like to see but centered never the less. Continue to work on your grip, stance, sight alignment and your groups will shrink.
Basics........
The shot should surprise you.
Slow is smooth and smooth is fast.
If I follow my own advice, sometimes I'm rewarded with a target that looks like this.
General Glocking
Hawker Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:45   #18
19sandyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniff View Post
My standard answer every time this topic comes up:

Long winded post follows but it works if you follow it.

I spent three years teaching this almost every working day on the Police range where I was an instructor. Not trying to blow my own trumpet, but I know of what I speak.

It is a trigger control problem.

Line up on the target with a (fairly relaxed) two handed grip. Both thumbs towards the target.

Align the sights and take the slack out of the trigger.

Once you take the slack out of the trigger, you must use a steady pull to the rear.

Ensure you are not tightening your fingers as you pull the trigger. Remember the support hand should do 60-70% of the gripping. And it's not a tight grip!

Relax your master hand. Align the sights, take the slack out of the trigger, check sight alignment and pull the trigger with a slow, steady pull until it fires. Keep the trigger held to the rear for a second or so before resetting the trigger.

Just let the trigger out until you feel it reset and no more. Then take up the pressure for subsequent shots from the reset position. Don't take you finger off the trigger between shots.

Glocks have a fairly long trigger pull compared to many other pistols. This may be one of the reasons many (right handed) shooters find them to shoot low and left.

Think to yourself: Slow, steady pull.

Try to have only the first pad of your trigger finger on the trigger. If you have the finger too far onto the trigger, you can push the gun sideways when you want to pull the trigger straight to the rear. Bend from the first knuckle, not where the finger joins the hand.

Try some dry fire too. Dry fire the action a few times while watching the front sight. (Which is what you should be watching anyway.

When you can operate the trigger without the front sight dipping or moving left as the action fires, that's about how steadily you need to operate the trigger.

Another great dry fire technique is to have some else ballance an empty case on the muzzle of the pistol. Just beside the front sight. Make sure your trigger control is smooth enough so that the case stays there when the trigger is pulled.

Then, while holding the trigger to the rear, work the slide to reset the trigger. Have the empty case replaced on the muzzle and keep it there while you let the trigger out to the reset position and pull the trigger again. Do that half a dozen times and it will make a real difference to your shooting.

Have someone mix in a few drill rounds into your magazine. If your muzzle takes a dive when you hit a drill round, you can be sure that your trigger operation is too quick or jerky. (Ball and Dummy drill.)

Watch the front sight! That's what is waving around. If you are trying to see your holes in the target, you cant see see where your sights are aligned.

You can't focus on both at once. If a paper target is stapled to a board, it's not going anywhere. You will still see it in the distance, but focus on the front sight. That's what's moving around and throwing your shots off target.

Front sight, squeeze slowly!
This is 100% correct.

Don't waste time chasing new connectors or looking for magical sights. Your problem is trigger control. Do what the above poster said and make the trigger your b!itch. Then, watch your shooting get better.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
19sandyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 13:26   #19
lethal tupperwa

The low left is CLASIC new Glock shooter no matter what size the hands.

The answer has always been to dry fire,

When doing so

remove the magazine.
clear the chamber.
check by looking.
check by putting you finger in to make sure.
(optical and digital)
Now go into a space away from ammunition.
Point in a SAFE direction and pull the trigger.
Now retract the slide about 1/4 inch (until the trigger resets).
Line up your sights.
(top of the front sight level with the top of the rear sight)
(With an even amount of space on either side of the front sight)
Pull the trigger WITHOUT moving the sight picture.
(when you can do this while holding the picture in front of your target you will be happy with your scores)

Dry fire, stop before you get sloppy.

More is not better.

Each "shot" is important.

When you go back to the ammo

DO NOT PUT IN A LOADED MAGAZINE SLAM SHUT
THE SLIDE AND (FROM HABIT PULL THE TRIGGER)

It has happened.

Remember when you pull the trigger always make sure the gun is pointed in a safe direction. Lt

----------------------------------------

GLOCK CERTIFIED ARMORER
lethal tupperwa is offline   Reply With Quote