SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-07-2012, 20:42   #41
x_out86

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGT HATRED View Post
What I don't understand is why the OCers didn't walk away when the cop gave them that option multiple times...
Because these morons were not getting the reaction from the officer they wanted. They were hoping that the officer that pulled up was going to give them something Youtube worthy because of unprofessionalism.

They got what they wanted (attention) and werent going to walk away from the chance to keep getting it.
I long to accomplish a great and noble tasks, but it is my chief duty to accomplish humble tasks as though they were great and noble. The world is moved along, not only by the mighty shoves of its heroes, but also by the aggregate of the tiny pushes of each honest worker.

Last edited by x_out86; 10-07-2012 at 20:42..
x_out86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 00:11   #42
RetailNinja

Send a message via AIM to RetailNinja
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiremanMike View Post
Or maybe he works for a department that cares more about law enforcement than spit shined shoes and leather gear with a mirrored gloss?
Thank you. He wasn't at a funeral he was on patrol. The uniform doesn't make the cop.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:24   #43
ICARRY2
NRA Life Member

I wonder if I bought Ofc. Jim lunch if he would let me shoot his full-auto AR15?
ICARRY2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:40   #44
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Or maybe he works for a department that cares more about law enforcement than spit shined shoes and leather gear with a mirrored gloss?
Not understanding why that is actually important - more in law enforcement than just about anywhere - is exactly why I siuggested "a department run by hippies."

I expect many on this forum not to get it, but there is a reason police wear uniforms and a reason the uniforms look like they do. Undercutting that makes it useless. It's a LOT more than "identification."

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetailNinja View Post
Thank you. He wasn't at a funeral he was on patrol. The uniform doesn't make the cop.
Again, if you were a cop you would, or at least should, udnerstand that appearance is a tool. Obviously, the guy in the video didn't, or else he thought he was supposed to "appear like a tool."

Most use of force continuums start with "officer presence" and "officer presence" means a lot more than just being present - it also means an appearance they conveys authority and commands respect. You could be identified as a cop with a T-shirt that says "police" - the badge and all the crap you pin on means a lot more than that. Diminishing that with casual clothes is reducing a tool at the start point of the force continuum - no different than downgrading from a .45 to a .380, but at a much more basic and often-used point in the continuum.

Last edited by Bren; 10-08-2012 at 05:45..
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:28   #45
CLoft239
I Like Turtles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
Not understanding why that is actually important - more in law enforcement than just about anywhere - is exactly why I siuggested "a department run by hippies."

I expect many on this forum not to get it, but there is a reason police wear uniforms and a reason the uniforms look like they do. Undercutting that makes it useless. It's a LOT more than "identification."

Again, if you were a cop you would, or at least should, udnerstand that appearance is a tool. Obviously, the guy in the video didn't, or else he thought he was supposed to "appear like a tool."

Most use of force continuums start with "officer presence" and "officer presence" means a lot more than just being present - it also means an appearance they conveys authority and commands respect. You could be identified as a cop with a T-shirt that says "police" - the badge and all the crap you pin on means a lot more than that. Diminishing that with casual clothes is reducing a tool at the start point of the force continuum - no different than downgrading from a .45 to a .380, but at a much more basic and often-used point in the continuum.
In the academy, my instructors cited a "study" (I guess you could call it that), in which X-amount of cop killers were interviewed, and asked why they chose to carry out their intentions on those officers when LE contact was made. One of the most common answers given was the cop's appearance, ie how squared away the officer appeared, and how they carried themselves.

Sent from the Titanic. I named my phone "The Titanic" so when I plug it into the computer it says "The Titanic is syncing".

Last edited by CLoft239; 10-08-2012 at 06:30..
CLoft239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:40   #46
FiremanMike
Way too busy

Yeah we all learned about that study, but it fails in that the way a cop carries himself has nothing to do with whether they're wearing a high gloss belt/boots and starched trooper uniform or a "soft uniform".

You can look like a piece of **** in either or a professional who won't **** around in either. That dude in the video was in shape, walked with authority, and carried himself professionally, but you just want to get your panties in a wad and put him down because he's wearing a functional uniform for his work environment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShallNotBeInfringed
I humbly submit I have over one million Concealed Carry hours. First license is from early 80's.
FiremanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:57   #47
CLoft239
I Like Turtles

Quote:
Yeah we all learned about that study, but it fails in that the way a cop carries himself has nothing to do with whether they're wearing a high gloss belt/boots and starched trooper uniform or a "soft uniform".

You can look like a piece of **** in either or a professional who won't **** around in either. That dude in the video was in shape, walked with authority, and carried himself professionally, but you just want to get your panties in a wad and put him down because he's wearing a functional uniform for his work environment.
I'm not critiquing the officer, I was simply conveying that I understood the point that Bren was making.

I myself don't have an issue with the uniform that the officer was wearing. But these kids also weren't your common criminal bent of off'ing a cop, so I'm sure his appearance made no difference to them...

But in the eyes of anybody wishing to do harm, or worse, to anybody, chances are that they will choose to carry out their acts on somebody that they feel isn't squared away. If somebody was a slob, and didn't bother to square away their appearance, then chances are they haven't taken the time to square away their defensive tactics, shooting, etc etc. and most criminals know this.

We study criminals, and most criminals study us. However, I also recognize the fact that some turds will attempt violence against us no matter what.

Sent from the Titanic. I named my phone "The Titanic" so when I plug it into the computer it says "The Titanic is syncing".

Last edited by CLoft239; 10-08-2012 at 07:01..
CLoft239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:07   #48
rockapede

Personally, I'd just about kill to be able to wear a uniform like that, and I already work for a relatively forward thinking department that issues BDU pants and shorts for summer time (which I won't wear, because the inseam is ridiculously short). I don't know if I'd strap quite as much stuff on it, but I'd LOVE to have an external carrier. A sloppy and uncertain cop is going to look as such regardless of what he's (or she) is wearing. Hell, a sloppy guy in class As (and there are plenty of them around) is about the worst looking cop out there.

-Edward Conlon
rockapede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:09   #49
jeepinbandit
Sgt. USMC

Send a message via Yahoo to jeepinbandit
Now this is more like it

http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/mobi...ic-stop-092412

Old 10-08-2012, 09:40   #50
Hamrhed
AKs & Glocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Copper View Post
Again I reiterate, you do that in my neck of the woods and you WILL be proned out and arrested.
In the case of some smarta**ed teens- sounds like that's just what they need. That cop has more important things to do... and those hemorrhoids need a life lesson real quick

Last edited by Hamrhed; 10-08-2012 at 09:46..
Hamrhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:19   #51
indigent
Bamboozled

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinbandit View Post
Different states different laws.

In Texas I don't have to provide ID unless I'm operating a motor vehicle or the officer believes I'm lying about my identity during a street contact. All I have to give them in that case is my name.
You might want to re-read Chapter 38 of the Penal Code.......
Old 10-08-2012, 10:27   #52
Kingarthurhk
Isaiah 53:4-9

Yeah, failure to ID in texas is an arrestable misdemeanor. Not at good thing to decide not to do. The state issued you an ID, it is technically the property of the state. They can revoke it. You may have paid for the ID, but that is essentially a tax for the privelege of having that ID. If I get pulled over by a local, I don't argue about my ID.

I have done traffic stops, I have done felony traffic stops. I know exactly what he is thinking if I am stopped. The trouble is he can't figure out if I am a con or an LEO, because the wheels are canted away from the traffic flow, the window is down, the radio is off, and both hands are visible on the wheel. I don't get offended with having a flashlight in the driver's mirror either. I have used that trick many a time to keep someone from seeing well enough to take a good shot at me if that was their intention.

More often than not, if you are polite, professional, respectful, and responsive you won't have a problem if pulled over and aske for ID.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:39   #53
jeepinbandit
Sgt. USMC

Quote:
A person commits an offense if he intenionally refuses to give his name, residence address, or date of birth to a peace officer who has lawfully arrested the person and requested the information
Doesn't say I have to provide ID just says I have to provide them with name, dob and address if LAWFULLY arrested.

Last edited by jeepinbandit; 10-08-2012 at 10:41..
jeepinbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:45   #54
Kingarthurhk
Isaiah 53:4-9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinbandit View Post

Doesn't say I have to provide ID just says I have to provide them with name, dob and address if LAWFULLY arrested.
Which can change based on county or municipal code. Either way you look at it, not a smart play.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:52   #55
jeepinbandit
Sgt. USMC

I'd generally agree and don't have an issue providing my ID but I'm not everyone and some folks may not want to provide a little state issued card that identifies them. I think that's been tried a few times throughout history.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:37   #56
PuroMexicano
VIVA MEXICO !!!

Thirteen minutes of a big can of whoop-ass from that cop to the gay trio of attention whores. Loved it.
Quote:
I once didn't kill a mountain lion by hand when it tried to stare me down...once.
Quote:
Politicians should serve two terms, one in office and one in prison.:rofl::rofl:

Last edited by PuroMexicano; 10-08-2012 at 11:37..
PuroMexicano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:06   #57
Dukeboy01
Pretty Ladies!

It's been over 24 hours since the OP posted and ran and now the thread is sucking in more trolls.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:32   #58
frizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXCOPPER View Post
^^^this^^^
Frizz comes on and starts these threads to stir the pot. Then after getting the reactions he wants, he posts something about how he respects what we do, and how dangerous our jobs are.

And if this officer is unprofessional, then I'd hate to see the alternative.
Wrong. Other than my initial two screwup threads, where have I done this? Show your work.

I'll use this post to explain since the sarcasm about the OC dbag with an extraordinarily professional cop wasn't clear to some.

There is another OC vs. cop vid that ends with the cop making the OCs look like double-dbags and, and the end of his every reply repeats "any questions, comments, or concerns?"

The cop in the vid I found was 100% cool; his goat isn't gettable.
frizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:37   #59
frizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack View Post
I looked at the video. To me it looks like younguns going out for attention seeking. They got their attention from a professional who was being professional. Admittedly I have seen worse on YouTube.
But have you seen a more professional response to an OC cameraman.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:42   #60
frizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukeboy01 View Post
What I saw was two civil libertardian d- bags being attention whores and the cop doing his best to to his job without aggravating the situation. What exactly was "unprofessional" in the video, frizz? Give us a time stamp or some specific quotes. Don't just post and run.

I stand by my original judgement of you in the first Coptalk thread you posted. You're a "concern troll." You're slicker and more low key than most of our trolls, but a troll all the same.
There was nothing uncool, let alone unprofessional by the cop here.

You can stand wherever you want.