Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2012, 20:14   #1
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA
 
RWBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 28,297
Revolver lovers

For those who plan on using a revolver in a SHTF.....

I took down my Remington 1858 to do some work on it today and several hours after fitting a new part, I was sweating it as I tried to put it back together.

As this is a black powder gun, I will need to learn the insides so I can clean them.

My advice for those that who plan on using their revolver in a SHTF is to learn the insides. During the SHTF, is no time to learning how to clean gunk out of the inside of your gun.

Revolver insides are not nearly as easy to take down and put back together as a Glock is.
__________________
One day, I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
RWBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 20:31   #2
Ruble Noon
"Cracker"
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 11,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWBlue View Post
For those who plan on using a revolver in a SHTF.....

I took down my Remington 1858 to do some work on it today and several hours after fitting a new part, I was sweating it as I tried to put it back together.

As this is a black powder gun, I will need to learn the insides so I can clean them.

My advice for those that who plan on using their revolver in a SHTF is to learn the insides. During the SHTF, is no time to learning how to clean gunk out of the inside of your gun.

Revolver insides are not nearly as easy to take down and put back together as a Glock is.
Right now my 1858 is in pieces. The bolt spring broke and I am waiting on a new one to get here.

Your advice is good but it applies to any firearms that one might have IMHO.
Ruble Noon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 20:56   #3
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA
 
RWBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 28,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruble Noon View Post
Right now my 1858 is in pieces. The bolt spring broke and I am waiting on a new one to get here.

Your advice is good but it applies to any firearms that one might have IMHO.
Sorry to hear about your 1858. Bolt spring=main hammer spring? How did it happen?

Maybe it is just me, but revolvers are more difficult for me.
__________________
One day, I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
RWBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 21:26   #4
Maine1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Maine
Posts: 1,324
well, i think one shoule be able to doi this with EVERY weapon they own.

if you cannot...WTF are you doing online right now? LEARN...RIGHT NOW!!
Maine1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 21:40   #5
9mm +p+
Senior Member
 
9mm +p+'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: KS
Posts: 2,429
Ruger, very simple and easy to maintain and built like tanks. Just got through fitting a new cylinder to a 4" Security six that I picked up very cheap, K frame size but much stronger and my fav Ruger 357 magnum.
__________________
Si vis pacem parabellum

Last edited by 9mm +p+; 10-14-2012 at 21:41..
9mm +p+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 23:19   #6
ArmoryDoc
Senior Member
 
ArmoryDoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Kansas
Posts: 5,900
Ideally the gun I'll use would likely be the Glock 19 or a 5" Colt 1911. I would have no issue using my GP100 or 686 and can work on any of them. It is good advice to know your platform and be able to work on it.

Last edited by ArmoryDoc; 10-14-2012 at 23:19..
ArmoryDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:13   #7
Big Bird
NRA Life Member
 
Big Bird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 10,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9mm +p+ View Post
Ruger, very simple and easy to maintain and built like tanks. Just got through fitting a new cylinder to a 4" Security six that I picked up very cheap, K frame size but much stronger and my fav Ruger 357 magnum.

While I don't disagree with you I would add a word of caution...I've owned and have detail stripped Ruger double action revolvers for over 30 years. But just last month I had my GP100 apart to install some Wolf Springs and shazam...one of the small springs and detents from the action sproings across the room never to be seen again. It was a $3 part from Brownells and the shipping cost more than the part. But its easy to loose small gun parts and even moreso if you aren't familiar with the gun. Even though I was...

Naturally I found the spring and detent a week after I got the replacement part. But still...
__________________
Big Bird,

“Est Nulla Via Invia Virute”

Last edited by Big Bird; 10-15-2012 at 09:14..
Big Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:18   #8
quake
Senior Member
 
quake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Arkansas, USA
Posts: 8,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWBlue View Post
...My advice for those that who plan on using their revolver in a SHTF is to learn the insides. During the SHTF, is no time to learning how to clean gunk out of the inside of your gun.

Revolver insides are not nearly as easy to take down and put back together as a Glock is.
True. It's one reason I like heavy revolvers loaded with less-than-maximum loads. Downloading the .454 to half-power means a lot less stress on it, which 'should' mean a lot longer mtbf on internals, and is still putting out .44 magnum power.

But as much as I like them, no way around it the reality that when you DO have to work on them, it's definitely more complex and prone to "dangit" moments than with most autos.
__________________
"The best a man can hope for is a chance to prove that the good lord didn't make a mistake putting him here in the first place." - Will Sonnett

"Only problem with women my own age, is they're so damn old." - my dad at 89...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
quake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:19   #9
9mm +p+
Senior Member
 
9mm +p+'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: KS
Posts: 2,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post
While I don't disagree with you I would add a word of caution...I've owned and have detail stripped Ruger double action revolvers for over 30 years. But just last month I had my GP100 apart to install some Wolf Springs and shazam...one of the small springs and detents from the action sproings across the room never to be seen again. It was a $3 part from Brownells and the shipping cost more than the part. But its easy to loose small gun parts and even moreso if you aren't familiar with the gun. Even though I was...

Naturally I found the spring and detent a week after I got the replacement part. But still...
Had a similar thing happen while working on mine, fortunately we had it in a large plastic bag so it didn't go far.
__________________
Si vis pacem parabellum
9mm +p+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:24   #10
Bushflyr
ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ
 
Bushflyr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Western WA
Posts: 4,465
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post
I had my GP100 apart to install some Wolf Springs and shazam...one of the small springs and detents from the action sproings across the room never to be seen again.
1 gallon ziplocs are you friends.

And really, detail stripping a revolver is no more difficult than an auto. Just different.
__________________
...the secret is to bang the rocks together, guys.

That which does not kill you has made a tactical error. --Tayler
Bushflyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:36   #11
kirgi08
Silver Membership
Watcher.
 
kirgi08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Acme proving grounds.
Posts: 27,823
Blog Entries: 1


Parts kits folks.'08.
__________________
I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6

If you look like food,You will be eaten.

Rip Chad.You will be missed.
kirgi08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 18:03   #12
FireForged
Millenium #3936
 
FireForged's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Rebel South
Posts: 4,578
a revolver failure is probably the most unlikey failure known to the firearms world. Can it happen? sure.. Should you maiantain your revolver properly? Sure... But come-on now, we have to have something to believe in.
__________________
"I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan
FireForged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 18:22   #13
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA
 
RWBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 28,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireForged View Post
a revolver failure is probably the most unlikey failure known to the firearms world. Can it happen? sure.. Should you maiantain your revolver properly? Sure... But come-on now, we have to have something to believe in.
What revolver do you have?
__________________
One day, I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
RWBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 19:44   #14
Ruble Noon
"Cracker"
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 11,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWBlue View Post
Sorry to hear about your 1858. Bolt spring=main hammer spring? How did it happen?

Maybe it is just me, but revolvers are more difficult for me.
The spring I am talking about keeps pressure on the bolt, AKA cylinder stop. Mine broke from rust. I must not have cleaned it well enough after the last time I shot it. I usually do a full disassemble and clean on my BP guns, especially the revolvers as powder residue seems to always get in the action.
Ruble Noon is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:09.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 528
131 Members
397 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,672
Aug 11, 2014 at 2:31