Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-14-2012, 20:14   #1
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Revolver lovers

For those who plan on using a revolver in a SHTF.....

I took down my Remington 1858 to do some work on it today and several hours after fitting a new part, I was sweating it as I tried to put it back together.

As this is a black powder gun, I will need to learn the insides so I can clean them.

My advice for those that who plan on using their revolver in a SHTF is to learn the insides. During the SHTF, is no time to learning how to clean gunk out of the inside of your gun.

Revolver insides are not nearly as easy to take down and put back together as a Glock is.
Old 10-14-2012, 20:31   #2
Ruble Noon
"Cracker"

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWBlue View Post
For those who plan on using a revolver in a SHTF.....

I took down my Remington 1858 to do some work on it today and several hours after fitting a new part, I was sweating it as I tried to put it back together.

As this is a black powder gun, I will need to learn the insides so I can clean them.

My advice for those that who plan on using their revolver in a SHTF is to learn the insides. During the SHTF, is no time to learning how to clean gunk out of the inside of your gun.

Revolver insides are not nearly as easy to take down and put back together as a Glock is.
Right now my 1858 is in pieces. The bolt spring broke and I am waiting on a new one to get here.

Your advice is good but it applies to any firearms that one might have IMHO.
Ruble Noon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 20:56   #3
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruble Noon View Post
Right now my 1858 is in pieces. The bolt spring broke and I am waiting on a new one to get here.

Your advice is good but it applies to any firearms that one might have IMHO.
Sorry to hear about your 1858. Bolt spring=main hammer spring? How did it happen?

Maybe it is just me, but revolvers are more difficult for me.
Old 10-14-2012, 21:26   #4
Maine1

well, i think one shoule be able to doi this with EVERY weapon they own.

if you cannot...WTF are you doing online right now? LEARN...RIGHT NOW!!
Maine1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 21:40   #5
9mm +p+

Ruger, very simple and easy to maintain and built like tanks. Just got through fitting a new cylinder to a 4" Security six that I picked up very cheap, K frame size but much stronger and my fav Ruger 357 magnum.

Last edited by 9mm +p+; 10-14-2012 at 21:41..
9mm +p+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 23:19   #6
ArmoryDoc

Ideally the gun I'll use would likely be the Glock 19 or a 5" Colt 1911. I would have no issue using my GP100 or 686 and can work on any of them. It is good advice to know your platform and be able to work on it.

Last edited by ArmoryDoc; 10-14-2012 at 23:19..
ArmoryDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:13   #7
Big Bird
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9mm +p+ View Post
Ruger, very simple and easy to maintain and built like tanks. Just got through fitting a new cylinder to a 4" Security six that I picked up very cheap, K frame size but much stronger and my fav Ruger 357 magnum.

While I don't disagree with you I would add a word of caution...I've owned and have detail stripped Ruger double action revolvers for over 30 years. But just last month I had my GP100 apart to install some Wolf Springs and shazam...one of the small springs and detents from the action sproings across the room never to be seen again. It was a $3 part from Brownells and the shipping cost more than the part. But its easy to loose small gun parts and even moreso if you aren't familiar with the gun. Even though I was...

Naturally I found the spring and detent a week after I got the replacement part. But still...

“Est Nulla Via Invia Virute”

Last edited by Big Bird; 10-15-2012 at 09:14..
Big Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:18   #8
quake

Quote:
...My advice for those that who plan on using their revolver in a SHTF is to learn the insides. During the SHTF, is no time to learning how to clean gunk out of the inside of your gun.

True. It's one reason I like heavy revolvers loaded with less-than-maximum loads. Downloading the .454 to half-power means a lot less stress on it, which 'should' mean a lot longer mtbf on internals, and is still putting out .44 magnum power.

But as much as I like them, no way around it the reality that when you DO have to work on them, it's definitely more complex and prone to "dangit" moments than with most autos.

"Only problem with women my own age, is they're so damn old." - my dad at 89...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
quake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:19   #9
9mm +p+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post
While I don't disagree with you I would add a word of caution...I've owned and have detail stripped Ruger double action revolvers for over 30 years. But just last month I had my GP100 apart to install some Wolf Springs and shazam...one of the small springs and detents from the action sproings across the room never to be seen again. It was a $3 part from Brownells and the shipping cost more than the part. But its easy to loose small gun parts and even moreso if you aren't familiar with the gun. Even though I was...

Naturally I found the spring and detent a week after I got the replacement part. But still...
Had a similar thing happen while working on mine, fortunately we had it in a large plastic bag so it didn't go far.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:24   #10
Bushflyr
ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post
I had my GP100 apart to install some Wolf Springs and shazam...one of the small springs and detents from the action sproings across the room never to be seen again.
1 gallon ziplocs are you friends.

And really, detail stripping a revolver is no more difficult than an auto. Just different.

That which does not kill you has made a tactical error. --Tayler
Bushflyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:36   #11
kirgi08
Silver Membership
Watcher.

Parts kits folks.'08.

If you look like food,You will be eaten.

Rip Chad.You will be missed.
kirgi08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 18:03   #12
FireForged
Millenium #3936

a revolver failure is probably the most unlikey failure known to the firearms world. Can it happen? sure.. Should you maiantain your revolver properly? Sure... But come-on now, we have to have something to believe in.
Old 10-15-2012, 18:22   #13
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireForged View Post
a revolver failure is probably the most unlikey failure known to the firearms world. Can it happen? sure.. Should you maiantain your revolver properly? Sure... But come-on now, we have to have something to believe in.
What revolver do you have?
Old 10-15-2012, 19:44   #14
Ruble Noon
"Cracker"

Quote:
Sorry to hear about your 1858. Bolt spring=main hammer spring? How did it happen?

Maybe it is just me, but revolvers are more difficult for me.
The spring I am talking about keeps pressure on the bolt, AKA cylinder stop. Mine broke from rust. I must not have cleaned it well enough after the last time I shot it. I usually do a full disassemble and clean on my BP guns, especially the revolvers as powder residue seems to always get in the action.
Ruble Noon is offline   Reply With Quote