SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Closed Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 08:26   #1
Southswede

Yes, Mr. Citizen, it's me the cop!

Well, Mr. Citizen, it seems you've figured me out. I fit neatly into the category where you've placed me.

I'm stereotyped, standardized, characterized, classified, grouped, and always typical. Unfortunately, the reverse is true. I can never figure you out.

From birth, you teach your children that I'm the boogeyman, then you're shocked when they identify/associate with my traditional enemy... the criminal! You accuse me of coddling criminals...until I catch your kids doing wrong.

You may take an hour for lunch and several coffee breaks each day, but point me out as a loafer for having one cup between calls. You pride yourself on your manners, but think nothing of disrupting my meals with your troubles.

You raise Cain, and sometimes resort to violence, with the guy who cuts you off in traffic, but let me catch you doing the same thing and I'm picking on you. You know all the traffic laws...but somehow you've never gotten a single ticket you deserve.

You shout "FOUL" if you observe me driving fast to a call, but raise the roof if I take more than ten seconds to respond to your complaint.

You call it part of my job if someone strikes me, but call it police brutality if I strike back. You wouldn't think of telling your dentist how to pull a tooth or your doctor how to take out an appendix, yet you are always willing to give me pointers on the law.

You talk to me in a manner that would get you a bloody nose from anyone else, but expect me to take it without batting an eye.

You yell that something's got to be done to fight crime, but you can't be bothered to get involved. You say you have no use for me at all, but of course it's OK if I change a flat for your wife, deliver your child in the back of the patrol car, or perhaps save your son's life with mouth to mouth breathing, or work many hours overtime looking for your lost daughter.

So Mr. Citizen, you can stand there on your soapbox and rant and rave about the way I do my work, calling me every name in the book, but never stop to think that your property, family, or maybe even your life depends on me or one of my buddies.

Old 10-11-2012, 08:37   #2
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity

Few people like the person who is charged with the task of searching out and making people accountable for their actions.

I sleep very well at night.

Whenever you get mad as hell about it all, grab your rifle and head outside. If you are the only one there...it's not time yet

I cross my heart and hope not to die. Swallow evil, ride the sky. Lose myself in a crowded room. You fool, you fool, it will be here soon
Old 10-11-2012, 08:46   #3
PaulMason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southswede View Post

I think there are many more that hold a differing opinion then what you presented. They are the good people that teach their children respect for the police. They are part of the silent majority.
Old 10-11-2012, 08:49   #4
glock_19guy1983

SHHHH! Rabbi, you know not to talk to the POlice.

Yall do a hard and thankless job. Ive got a good many friends that are LEO, there are still alot of people that appreciate the job you do.
"Our situation illustrates the American idea that governments rest on the consent of the governed, and that it is the right of the people to alter or abolish them whenever they become destructive of the ends for which they were established."
Old 10-11-2012, 08:51   #5
devildog2067

Quote:
You talk to me in a manner that would get you a bloody nose from anyone else, but expect me to take it without batting an eye.
I don't disagree with the rest of your post, but this one did jump out at me. If you can't take some lip without punching someone, you probably shouldn't be a cop. As Rabbi pointed out, sometimes not being liked is part of the job.

Stay safe.
Old 10-11-2012, 08:53   #6
John Rambo
Raven

Couldn't keep this confined to Cop Talk, huh?

Nice job rebutting those stereotypes. Why don't you bleat it a little louder?
Old 10-11-2012, 08:56   #7
tsmo1066
Happy Smiley

Like Dentists, Police Officers are often hated for what they have to do, but it's a necessary job. Also like Dentists, police officers are held to a higher standard of accountability while doing their work than is the "average Joe". Unlike Dentists, however, Cops normally don't make very much money while doing their work.

Police work definitely isn't for everyone, but thankfully we live in a country where nobody is forced at gunpoint to hold down a job that they hate. If police work doesn't do it for you, move on to something that does...maybe even dentistry.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:17   #8
Drain You
NRA member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Rambo View Post

The Okie Corral
Old 10-11-2012, 09:20   #9
Booker

Sounds like you need a new job! One where you won't get butthurt so much!
Old 10-11-2012, 09:21   #10
zoyter2
Yeah, so what?

Quote:

Before you get slammed, it should be asked how long a thread would be open if a "Yes Officer, it's me the Citizen" was opened in Cop Talk and every hater from GNG flocked in to post?

Now, prepare to be eviscerated.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:27   #11
Southswede

Quote:
Originally Posted by devildog2067 View Post
I don't disagree with the rest of your post, but this one did jump out at me. If you can't take some lip without punching someone, you probably shouldn't be a cop. As Rabbi pointed out, sometimes not being liked is part of the job.

Stay safe.
Try re-reading the post.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:28   #12
Gallium
CLM Number 182
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
... calling me every name in the book, ...

Such as "hero", "brave", "dedicated" - along with the more usual colorful despicable names.

lots of occupations are thankless. People in medicine, rescue, .mil, emergency response, .gov, court system, sanitation, road crews, educators, etc have "thankless" jobs.

The decent folks amongst us recognize their value and without much fanfare make those folks know where we stand on their contributions.

We live in a society very biased towards "non essential" things - like sports (NFL Superbowl, World Series, Olympics), entertainment (Grammys, Oscars, Billboard Chart, Avatar, Harry Potter etc)
Old 10-11-2012, 09:28   #13
Southswede

Quote:

Try going back over to cop talk. You might see why I posted this again on GNG.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:29   #14
Gallium
CLM Number 182
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Try re-reading the post.

Yes, he got it wrong. Those damn educator/geeks!
Old 10-11-2012, 09:37   #15
Southswede

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booker View Post
Sounds like you need a new job! One where you won't get butthurt so much!
Interesting, well thought out post.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:39   #16
Booker

So Mr. Citizen, you can stand there on your soapbox and rant and rave about the way I do my work, calling me every name in the book, but never stop to think that your property, family, or maybe even your life depends on me or one of my buddies.

Tell it to Jessica Ridgeway
Old 10-11-2012, 09:45   #17
diamondd2

And you get paid well to do your job. It's not like your a volunteer.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:45   #18
John Rambo
Raven

Quote:
Try going back over to cop talk. You might see why I posted this again on GNG.
Posting it with your fellow officers to vent it one thing. And its why I didn't comment on it in there, nor do I post negative comments much of at all in Cop Talk, because thats where cops go to vent. I, as well as almost every Glocktalk member (with a few notable troll exceptions) read and keep quiet in there out of respect.

Once you actually come out here into GNG thumping your chest, you're not just blowing off steam, you're making a statement to the rest of us about how we're not nice enough to you and how much you do for us. You're, for no discernable reason, coming in here and smashing an egg into our face just because you can.

Well, we can respond with all types of things. We can talk about the cop on trial now for anally violating suspects. We can talk about the cops who murdered people during Katrina. We can talk about the cops who burst into the wrong houses and gunned down the startled occupants. We can talk about how cops are given a break on breaking laws while in the course of duty and slapped on the wirst when someone else would get jail time. We can talk about the preferential treatment in everything from gas stations to traffic citations. We could go on and on and on about it.

Or we could just say, "Quit yer *****in' and take your paycheck. Go do another job if you don't like yours."

Last edited by John Rambo; 10-11-2012 at 09:47..
Old 10-11-2012, 09:46   #19
hogfish
Señor Member

Thread title could've been: Civilians Blow.

"Almost no matter the question, capitalism and freedom are the answers, while government and religion are not." Syclone538
Old 10-11-2012, 10:02   #20
nmk

I think my posting history would classify me as almost always falling on the side of LEO, but this is dumb. It's just...dumb.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:05   #21
DairyFresh

If my dentist upsets me, or does bad work, I can find another. My doctor cannot make my life miserable because he takes a dislike to me. Cops serve on the public's whim. Never forget that.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:06   #22
racerford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallium View Post
.....We live in a society very biased towards "non essential" things - like sports (NFL Superbowl, World Series, Olympics), entertainment (Grammys, Oscars, Billboard Chart, Avatar, Harry Potter etc)
I was with you until you started saying Harry Potter was non-essential.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:08   #23
MAC702

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmo1066 View Post
Like Dentists, Police Officers are often hated for what they have to do, but it's a necessary job. Also like Dentists, police officers are held to a higher standard of accountability while doing their work than is the "average Joe". Unlike Dentists, however, Cops normally don't make very much money while doing their work....
Like Dentists, you always wonder about what KIND of a person wants that kind of job.

As for being held to a higher standard, I find the opposite is usually the case. With citizens, ignorance of a law is no excuse. With police, on the other hand, the courts have held that ignorance of the law IS an excuse, as long as they THOUGHT they were doing the right thing. That's just one example.

Seems every time I pull up one in the local news, they are making well over $100,000 a year.

But the OP was a nice post. A little long for a bumper sticker, but about as accurate.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:09   #24
nmk

Apparently this has been posted all over the web for years. It would be appropriate to acknowledge that you didn't actually write any of the original post.

Chain email...LEO edition.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:14   #25
fwm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogfish View Post
Thread title could've been: Civilians Blow.
Right!

Seems he stereotyped all of the rest of us non-LEOs into the same group. I will say that I have never fallen into ANY of the stereotypes he mentioned, but I have been treated like I do on several occasions.

Apparently he only sees the 1% bottom sucking scum all day, and never realizes that the rest of us are NOT like that. Just another divisive statement by someone that can't figure out why he isn't on a pedestal somewhere.

Tags
haters, haters gonna hate