SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-26-2012, 14:41   #41
series1811
CLM Number
Enforcerator.

Not to mention, everyones' accuracy deteriorates when they start recieving return fire. So you want it to be as good as possible before that happens.
Old 10-26-2012, 15:12   #42
SpringerTGO

Regardless of the sport, good instruction is never a bad thing.
I think it's great that lots of new people are learning to shoot. The fact that they aren't learning in a manner that some people here think is correct, is nonsense. At least they are shooting. If I see someone who is obviously new shooting next to me, I might offer assistance. But unless they are doing something unsafe, I usually keep to myself. For all you know, the guy practicing "wrong" at close range might have spent his entire range session his last time out at 25 yards. Or he might be planning on switching to 25 yards afterwards.

For such freedom loving people, there is more condescension on this site than a lot of others. Wrong caliber, wrong manufacturer (except when bashing Kimber and Nighthawk ), wrong press, wrong loads, wrong trigger, sights, wrong carry method, and now wrong training.
Some people need to lighten up.
SpringerTGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 20:58   #43
Gallium
CLM Number 182
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringerTGO View Post
..Wrong caliber, wrong manufacturer (except when bashing Kimber and Nighthawk ), wrong press, wrong loads, wrong trigger, sights, wrong carry method, ...

That use of the smilie was wrong.
Gallium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 21:25   #44
RYT 2BER

Whose gonna give me the last 4 minutes of my life back.

What a thread of self indulgent crap.
Old 10-26-2012, 22:07   #45
ithaca_deerslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RYT 2BER View Post
Whose gonna give me the last 4 minutes of my life back.

What a thread of self indulgent crap.
If you had skipped my posts, it would have only taken you 2 minutes to read the thread
ithaca_deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 19:37   #46
dawg23
Resident Dimwit

I'm certainly not disagreeing with the OP.

But I think some distinction needs to be made between practice that consists of shooting small groups at a slow cadence, and practicing your shooting at a reasonably rapid cadence (such as we might want/need to do in "combat.")

My group size when shooting (let's say at a distance of 7 yards) at a rate of one shot every five seconds, and my group size when shooting 5 shots per second (at the same 7 yards), will be different.

At the slower rate of fire I wouldn't be satisfied with any group bigger than 1 inch (at 7 yards). At the same distance, shooting at a rate of 5-6 shots/second, I'll accept 6 inch - 8 inch groups (knowing that at closer ranges, or at slower rates of fire, those group sizes will shrink proportionately).

Several of the "gun schools" I've attended preach that if your groups are really small, you're shooting too slow. We're encouraged to speed up and accept reasonably larger (fist-size, maybe open-palm-size) groups.

I guess I'm saying we need to practice both. I can envision situations where I'd rather have 7-8 "thoracic cavity"" hits on target instead of 1 or 2 "perfect center punch" hits (especially if dealing with multiple thugs).

Just my opinion.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
dawg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 18:27   #47
bdcremer
The No SpinZone

As Dirty Harry said "Every man must know his limitations."

Someone that treats weapon skills as a martial art will train, practice and push their art to failure. You must do this to know where your strength and weaknesses lye.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

If you play stupid games, you win stupid prizes.
bdcremer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 18:45   #48
FireForged
Millenium #3936

Lots of things can "cause" your grouping to open up in a SD situation. Being shot at can certainly do it. Running or shooting from awkward angles can do it. Adrenal dump is not this dreaded monster that ruins everything like godzilla. It can actually be a benifit which is why it happens to being with. Its your body trying to aid and prepare itself for a dangerous situation. Can it cause your group to open up? sure... Is it something I am going to hyper focus on> nope.

This talk of combat accuracy and its negative aspects really seems a little unfair since only few in this thread have placed it in reasonable context. I can say that I have never encountered someone who in the best of shooting circumstances... claims that all they want to do is hit paper as a bar setting achievment. I have seen people do all manner of things while on the range. I try not to draw too many conclusions about their specific training goals if I have not discussed it with them.

As it was nicely stated in an earlier post.. shot placement and gouping is judged differently in different situations. If I am training to shoot from the hip or unusual angle at a close target that is nearly upon me.. I am not telling myself to "aim for the imaginary third button from the top".

Last edited by FireForged; 11-09-2012 at 18:53..
FireForged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 23:03   #49
mjkeat

Pelvic hits? Does anyone take advantage of the pelvic region?
mjkeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 14:16   #50
gunslinger g21

The first to land a disabling shot wins, not the first to get an X. The thoratic cavity is pretty big. When you are in "combat" mode you lose fine motor function, fingers tingle and everything goes tunnel. I shoot 50' just incase I need to land 1 double tap to end a fight from concealed position (behind). Most real world shootings happen insids 12 feet. In this case I am shooting from draw through the rise rapidly. I want as much steel on target as possible. PPC is for marksmanship practice not training. If you stand still and aim to get a perfect shot while being directly engauged you will get shot. This is the differance between Joe public and an operator. I train with some practice in my routine. IDPA, USPSA are games also and only give minimal feedback as to ypour skills. Go to a force on force school and get your ego busted when you are covered with red paint in the first hour. This is true preperation for a real world fight.
gunslinger g21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 14:33   #51
Gallium
CLM Number 182
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger g21 View Post
The first to land a disabling shot wins, not the first to get an X. ...

Not quite. A lot of things can abort or end a gun fight.

1. Sight of a gun

2. Sound of gunshot

3. Resistance

4. A hit - any hit. The effects of a gunshot (and even a miss) can be very psychological. People have taken non-debilitating wounds in gunfights and simply gave up.

5.The opposite is quite true. People have received shots that might maim, stop or kill another person, but still keep fighting, sometimes "winning".
Gallium is offline   Reply With Quote