SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-08-2012, 18:12   #21
Roger1079

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Chris View Post
The FL CCW permit is legal authorization granted to the permit holder by the State of Florida to carry a concealed weapon in the manner proscribed by FL law.

If the CCW holder is doing that in accordance with the law, then politely answering an officer's questions and producing the permit should end the matter. It's up to the permit holder to obey the laws under which the permit was issued, and not be a complete flaming jerk should an officer see what they view as a suspicious bulge under the permit holder's clothing and decide to investigate.

An officer who does choose to investigate a 'suspicious bulge' is understandably concerned about a possible crime, and about their personal safety. A little common sense and common courtesy on the CCW's part can defuse just about any such situation.

Becoming antagonistic and loudly arguing your 2nd Ammendment rights while an officer is trying to decide if he is dealing with an armed felon is rather stupid.

The Bondi opinion may presume a felony, but my CCW permit clearly states otherwise to any officer I am contacted by, once I politely show him my permit. That is the point you want to get to quickly, and without drama, in any officer initiated contact.
This. Word for word. I have never understood the people that antagonize an officer during a stop. Being cooperative beats being an argumentative ass every time, even if the officer is not showing you the same courtesy. If you get an officer that is being a jerk, take it up with his superiors at a later time. The side of the road is NEVER the place to argue or be a Constitution Commando.

I have been asked by an officer to search my vehicle on one occasion. I did not ask why as it really didn't matter to me. I had nothing to hide, so I said absolutely. He asked me to exit the vehicle and retreived the german shepherd from his car. He opened all the doors and the trunk and allowed the dog to sniff around the inside of the car. It literally took about 2 minutes and that was the end of that. The officer thanked me for my cooperation and didn't even write me the speeding ticket I deserved. Had I been a jerk about it and blabbered about my constitutional rights, I am sure things would have gone south in a hurry. I don't get why some people don't understand that.

Last edited by Roger1079; 10-08-2012 at 18:14..
Roger1079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 18:48   #22
SCmasterblaster

I carry a G17 up here in VT everyday. I am not a felon!
Old 10-08-2012, 18:53   #23
Bren
NRA Life Member

Allow me to predict that isn't going to work out for them in the future.
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 19:21   #24
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
Allow me to predict that isn't going to work out for them in the future.
You're probably correct!
Old 10-08-2012, 19:53   #25
SFla27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger1079 View Post
This. Word for word. I have never understood the people that antagonize an officer during a stop. Being cooperative beats being an argumentative ass every time, even if the officer is not showing you the same courtesy. If you get an officer that is being a jerk, take it up with his superiors at a later time. The side of the road is NEVER the place to argue or be a Constitution Commando.

I have been asked by an officer to search my vehicle on one occasion. I did not ask why as it really didn't matter to me. I had nothing to hide, so I said absolutely. He asked me to exit the vehicle and retreived the german shepherd from his car. He opened all the doors and the trunk and allowed the dog to sniff around the inside of the car. It literally took about 2 minutes and that was the end of that. The officer thanked me for my cooperation and didn't even write me the speeding ticket I deserved. Had I been a jerk about it and blabbered about my constitutional rights, I am sure things would have gone south in a hurry. I don't get why some people don't understand that.

^^ And this too. ^^

Yes sir, no sir.

Assuming you're not being asked to take part in the receiving end of an impromptu body cavity search to be performed by a rhinoceros, complying with the officers' requests without attitude will up your chances of a non-issue tremendously.

SFla27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 20:08   #26
Gunnut 45/454

Disreguarding that the SCOTUS already said just because a person is carrying a firearm doesn't give them the right to stop/questioning by LEO's! I hope FL State has alot of money to give out in the pending lawsuits for wrongful arrest!
Old 10-08-2012, 20:11   #27
BigBearCarolina

Quote:

Glock G23,G27,...to be continued.
BigBearCarolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 20:15   #28
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFla27 View Post
^^ And this too. ^^

Yes sir, no sir.

Assuming you're not being asked to take part in the receiving end of an impromptu body cavity search to be performed by a rhinoceros, complying with the officers' requests without attitude will up your chances of a non-issue tremendously.
Heh heh heh - performed by a rhinoceros! heh heh heh!
Old 10-08-2012, 20:43   #29
JuneyBooney

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
How much you wanna bet TM would be alive today if Z had been openly carrying?
Probably true.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Cool songs:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Cool car:
JuneyBooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:19   #30
James Dean

I get something different out of this. I think the AG is trying to protect the police by saying its okay to stop and ask questions if you see someone with a gun. Is it wrong? I don't know. Time will tell. Sometimes a little corporation goes along way, as well as a little *** kissing at a traffic stop.

Last edited by James Dean; 10-09-2012 at 09:20..
James Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:16   #31
Chris Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Dean View Post
I get something different out of this. I think the AG is trying to protect the police by saying its okay to stop and ask questions if you see someone with a gun. Is it wrong? I don't know. Time will tell. Sometimes a little corporation goes along way, as well as a little *** kissing at a traffic stop.
Excellent point. In Florida (and elsewhere) the only difference between commiting the CRIME of illegally carry a concealed weapon, and being in complete accordance with the law and thus LEGALLY carrying a concealed weapon, is that little plastic card the State issues to the carrier.

The LEO doesn't know which case he is dealing with until they see the 'card'. A LEO should have the right to ask to see the card. And... a lawful CCW carrier should have no problem politely showing it to them.

I think anyone who has spent time in the LE profession can understand that. And, I would also think that any lawful carrier would prefer that those carrying concealed handguns be the same law-abiding and properly licensed citizen that they are.

The only way to find out is to see the 'card'.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:28   #32
Bruce M

This case had nothing to do with a lawful concealed carrier. It involved a convicted felon with a gun partially exposed loitering in a drug hole.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:29   #33
Dragoon44
Lifetime Membership
Unfair Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Dean View Post
You re mostly right. the author of the article has blown the thing way out of proportion. Bondi's statements were part of a legal brief in a case before the Florida Supreme Court not directive for policy for LEO (Which the Florida AG has no authority to do anyway.)
Old 10-09-2012, 15:15   #34
redbaron007
Lifetime Membership
A Nice Prick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoon44 View Post
One thing to bear in mind about whatever the Florida AG has to say.

The FLorida AG has opinions and that is all. unlike many other states the Fl AG has no authority whatsoever over Fl LE agencies and cannot dictate policies for LE.

The Ag's role in Fl is strictly advisory with no legal weight behind the advisory.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoon44 View Post
You re mostly right. the author of the article has blown the thing way out of proportion. Bondi's statements were part of a legal brief in a case before the Florida Supreme Court not directive for policy for LEO (Which the Florida AG has no authority to do anyway.)
But even in an advisory capacity, could not those LEA choose to follow his advisory...especially if they are somewhat anti-gun? It may not provide 100% cover, but through litigation, they could say they were following the advice of the AG; thus potentially releasing them from violating ones right?

IMHO, problem is, if the case is upheld, it creates bad case law. Hence, why the Florida Open Carry filed their brief.

It reminds me of the cliche': Guilty till proven innocent.

This brings back another conversation recently discussed. I know a LEO in my area who makes it a point to tell people 'if you don't tell my you have a firearm concealed; you will spend time in cuffs and the back seat/station until "I" figure it out. It could take hours.' Our state is not required disclosure state.

red
TopGun *357sig* Club - #2632
The 10 Ring #00720

R.I.P. Cajunator® ~ R.I.P. JTull7
R.I.P. Mullah (aka El_Ron1) ~ R.I.P. GioaJack ~ R.I.P. Okie
redbaron007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 15:44   #35
Chris Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron007 View Post
But even in an advisory capacity, could not those LEA choose to follow his advisory...especially if they are somewhat anti-gun? It may not provide 100% cover, but through litigation, they could say they were following the advice of the AG; thus potentially releasing them from violating ones right?

IMHO, problem is, if the case is upheld, it creates bad case law. Hence, why the Florida Open Carry filed their brief.

It reminds me of the cliche': Guilty till proven innocent.

This brings back another conversation recently discussed. I know a LEO in my area who makes it a point to tell people 'if you don't tell my you have a firearm concealed; you will spend time in cuffs and the back seat/station until "I" figure it out. It could take hours.' Our state is not required disclosure state.

red

And... JMHO... what is wrong with simply telling the officer " I have a concealed handgun and a permit, and how do you wish me to procede?"... whether your state law requires it or not? It does prevent a sudden surprise to the LEO (when I was in that line of work we figured "The best surprise was no surprise.") and seems like a reasonable thing to do if you are facing a LEO.

Do that, and the incident RE: concealed handgun is over.

Why not simply do that? It certainly is a lot easier than being a totally assertive jerk & and a rampaging fool who wishes to argue for the sake of making a point on YouTube (which, a careful observer might rename the Stupid/Tube). Arguing about a concealed gun with a LEO in a street interview is about as STUPID as you can get! Just tell them up front, and the problem is solved.
Old 10-09-2012, 19:05   #36
redbaron007
Lifetime Membership
A Nice Prick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Chris View Post
And... JMHO... what is wrong with simply telling the officer " I have a concealed handgun and a permit, and how do you wish me to procede?"... whether your state law requires it or not? It does prevent a sudden surprise to the LEO (when I was in that line of work we figured "The best surprise was no surprise.") and seems like a reasonable thing to do if you are facing a LEO.

Do that, and the incident RE: concealed handgun is over.

Why not simply do that? It certainly is a lot easier than being a totally assertive jerk & and a rampaging fool who wishes to argue for the sake of making a point on YouTube (which, a careful observer might rename the Stupid/Tube). Arguing about a concealed gun with a LEO in a street interview is about as STUPID as you can get! Just tell them up front, and the problem is solved.
Haven't read or been informed......you don't talk to the po-po!

Please, you tell the po-po everything you know.

red
TopGun *357sig* Club - #2632
The 10 Ring #00720

R.I.P. Cajunator® ~ R.I.P. JTull7
R.I.P. Mullah (aka El_Ron1) ~ R.I.P. GioaJack ~ R.I.P. Okie

Last edited by redbaron007; 10-09-2012 at 19:05..
redbaron007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 19:23   #37
Gunnut 45/454

Chris Chris
So where in the 2nd Admendment does it say you have to have that card to carry? Where in the 4th does it say you have to give anything to the police -just because they ask? Does the 4th say they have a right to ask? I'm of the mind that if you haven't broken a law the police should leave you alone- period! Now understanding that if you accidentally expose your CCW in FL -you have broken the law! Stupid as that is! Unlike Idaho where I can expose /OC my carry weapon anyway I wish!
Old 10-09-2012, 19:28   #38
RenegadeGlocker

Quote:
Given the small percentage of the population that is licensed to carry a concealed firearm, the overwhelming majority of firearms, or 95%, are not licensed to be concealed. Thus, an officer’s suspicion that a firearm is not licensed would be reasonable because, in any given case, there would be, statistically speaking, a 95% likelihood of illegality
Holy math/statistical fail.
RenegadeGlocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 19:31   #39
RenegadeGlocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnut 45/454 View Post
Disreguarding that the SCOTUS already said just because a person is carrying a firearm doesn't give them the right to stop/questioning by LEO's!
What case was that?
RenegadeGlocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 20:16   #40
F350

Quote:

And what would have done if dogie "found" a little baggy of meth??? You consented; you are ****ed! You think all LEO are Andy of Mayberry??
F350 is offline   Reply With Quote