GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-09-2012, 16:13   #21
countrygun

i don't think it is ever going to get "cheaper" to buy a lever action .357 (forget the "Mare's leg) IMO correctly fed and used it is not the worst HD gun by a long shot (pardon the pun) and it leaves the door open for a good .357 handgun like the Ruger.

If it were me, and I was given $1,000 and your list, I would find a nice "Pre-crossbolt" Marlin carbine, (or get a Crossbolt if you must and the kit to neuter it, but get a "pre Remlin"),and put the change back for a .357 revolver.

ETA: Get the Express receiver sight set for the carbine.

Last edited by countrygun; 10-09-2012 at 16:14..
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 16:32   #22
CanMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSUAdman View Post
Every year I take a little money and pick myself up a little gift for Christmas.
Again, I am going for fun and non-practical.

3) Lever action in .357 - I've never owned a lever gun and have been feeling them up a lot lately. I like pistol caliber weapons and really enjoy .357/.38sp. I could be swayed by a Mare's Leg as well. ~$400-$700 Suggestions?

What's behind door #3 sounds good to me. I don't think I'd do the Mare's Leg just because I'd rather have an SBR lever gun! No can do where I live so I think it'd be a hoot to have a lever gun with a 16.5 bbl. I've never owned one either. I think a lever gun is actually more practical than I'd like to admit. You know, revolver calibers, a cinch to reload ammo for, light weight and easy to handle, doesn't look like one of those 'evil' black rifles, could be used for CAS etc., etc. I think I'd add a can to the end of mine as well. There. Maybe not practical but a barrel of fun.

Enjoy Christmas!!

Last edited by CanMan; 10-09-2012 at 16:34..
CanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:24   #23
DairyFresh

There is NOTHING cooler than a lever action rifle. I'm convinced of it.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:37   #24
LSUAdman
Pew Pew

Well, I think the consensus is lever gun!

I looked around on Bud's last night, and it looks like there is a drought of lever guns in .357. I'll have to start shopping around locally - I hate buying guns in election years.

We're still obviously a few months away, but I'll update this thread with pictures when I can.

Feel free to post models and brands that you like. This is virgin territory for me.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:04   #25
MrMurphy
Lifetime Membership

An older Marlin will be the best all-around for the money.

For a fun gun, a Puma (Rossi) will generally work if you want the Winchester action without paying the money for the name.
"And Shepherds we shall be. For thee, my Lord for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et fili, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen."
MrMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 13:28   #26
countrygun

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMurphy View Post
An older Marlin will be the best all-around for the money.

For a fun gun, a Puma (Rossi) will generally work if you want the Winchester action without paying the money for the name.
Perfectly said
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 18:59   #27
ithaca_deerslayer

The GP-100 is a fabulous gun. My 6" loves Hornady 147gr leverevolution .357mag ammo.

Love to teach with it with .38's.
ithaca_deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 22:27   #28
Braken

I have the Henry Mares Leg in .22 cal. 26" long, with the big loop lever. 10 + 1 LR
Sweet pistol, 50 yard turtle head shot with open sights, and carry loaded in the truck, since it's a pistol.
I paid $260 it was a safe queen. One of my favorite firearms.

I've held the .357 version that Henry makes, seemed extra heavy weight, but butter smooth action, $700 or $800 bones, tough to let go of.

After looking at the Henry's, the Rossi Ranch hand seems unfinished, but half the price i'd have to think hard not to get it.

Full sized lever gun in .357 heck yeah. I want one. Which one?
Braken is offline   Reply With Quote