Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-08-2012, 18:06   #1
On the Beach

The Trinity

I have a problem understanding the concept of the Trinity as accepted by most.

Throughout the Old and New Testaments there are many verses that indicate there is a division of personalities.

Most notably is the Baptism of Jesus. He is standing in the water and a loud voice from Heaven sounds exclaiming how pleased the sender of the voice is with Jesus. Then a Dove symbolizing the Holy Ghost appears. This seems like three different sources or personalities.

On more than one situation Jesus prays to his Father, most notably when he was on the cross. Why does he feel the need to pray if the Trinity is really just one? Why pray to himself.

Seems to me that the Trinity as accepted by most was created by a committee of men.

Looking forward to learning why it is what it is.
4516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 18:29   #2
muscogee

http://my.opera.com/greatMolly/blog/show.dml/2978038

Leona Helmsley
muscogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 18:38   #3
fgutie35

The way It makes sense to me, is if I look at it in a scientific perspective. You have an infinite source of energy ( the Father) that has the ability to split his energy into two more entities ( the Son and the Holy Spirit) and actually perform diferent duties which each. Is like us. We have a Soul, a Spirit and the Flesh. We are three in one instance, just like the Father who created us on his own image. Our Soul represents our energy, our spirit, is the consience or the brain of the soul, and the flesh is like the word incarnate. Does it make sense? I could go into more detail, but it would take a lot of writing.
Old 10-08-2012, 20:13   #4
On the Beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscogee View Post

So if there is any truth to this link-
a Pagan King put together a committee that forced his thoughts that may have been founded on Pagan ideas that was not well received by most in the Christian World. Then another King put together another committee that enforced the original Pagan thoughts against almost the rest of the Christian World. Wonder how much the rule of the sword was brought into play.
Old 10-08-2012, 20:14   #5
On the Beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgutie35 View Post
The way It makes sense to me, is if I look at it in a scientific perspective. You have an infinite source of energy ( the Father) that has the ability to split his energy into two more entities ( the Son and the Holy Spirit) and actually perform diferent duties which each. Is like us. We have a Soul, a Spirit and the Flesh. We are three in one instance, just like the Father who created us on his own image. Our Soul represents our energy, our spirit, is the consience or the brain of the soul, and the flesh is like the word incarnate. Does it make sense? I could go into more detail, but it would take a lot of writing.

Sounds good except we can not be in multiple places at the same time, so your example is not solid.
Old 10-08-2012, 20:19   #6
fgutie35

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4516 View Post
Sounds good except we can not be in multiple places at the same time, so your example is not solid.
Not quite so. There has been scientific experiments where certain people have had out of body experiences and have been confirmed by other subjects in the place where that person traveled during the event.
Old 10-08-2012, 21:27   #7
Geko45
CLM Number 135
Smartass Pilot

Quote:
Not quite so. There has been scientific experiments where certain people have had out of body experiences and have been confirmed by other subjects in the place where that person traveled during the event.
Bull Squat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Geko45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 21:28   #8
Geko45
CLM Number 135
Smartass Pilot

Quote:
I have a problem understanding the concept of the Trinity as accepted by most.
That's because christianity is actually a polythesitic religion in any practical sense.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 10-08-2012, 21:48   #9
JBnTX
JB in Tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geko45 View Post

That's because christianity is actually a polythesitic religion in any practical sense.
Your ignorance of the Bible and Christianity is beyond question.

The trinity is three forms of ONE God, not three Gods.

Father = God himself in the highest heaven.
Holy Spirit = God in the spiritual world where the angels dwell.
Son = Is God in physical form. Known as Jesus.

Man was made in God's image. That is that man has a soul, a spirit and a physical body.

The same three parts that God has.
JBnTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 22:45   #10
Geko45
CLM Number 135
Smartass Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBnTX View Post
Yeah, what do I know? I just graduated from a christian university. I'm sure that can't possibly compete with what you were told in sunday school. Spare the apologetics, I've heard all the nonsensical equivocations before. I've never had a conversation with myself so I don't seem to follow this pattern you claim we were designed by. You're just another delusional polytheist.

Last edited by Geko45; 10-08-2012 at 22:46..
Old 10-09-2012, 07:16   #11
Glock36shooter

Quote:
The way It makes sense to me, is if I look at it in a scientific perspective.
There is nothing scientific about what you wrote following this. Nothing at all.

Quote:
You have an infinite source of energy ( the Father) that has the ability to split his energy into two more entities ( the Son and the Holy Spirit) and actually perform diferent duties which each.
What do you get when you split something that is infinite. Wouldn't that just be doubling or tripling everything?

Quote:
Is like us. We have a Soul, a Spirit
Prove it.

Quote:
just like the Father who created us on his own image.
What about people that are born without limbs? Are they also in God's image? How about people with genetic diseases? Does God also have these flaws?
Glock36shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:17   #12
Glock36shooter

Quote:
Then you should have no trouble presenting the data and evidence that was produced in these experiments.

I seriously doubt you can.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:19   #13
Glock36shooter

Quote:

The trinity is three forms of ONE God, not three Gods.
This is the twisting and turning you guys have to do to keep from seeing your own selves as polytheists... but you are polytheists.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:28   #14
Glock36shooter

I asked this question in another thread that got locked... since it deals with the trinity I'll ask it here...

When was the Trinity created? It is assumed that Yahweh has always been. I'm guessing the same is true of the Holy Spirit. Was it just the two of them until God created himself in human form to be Christ? Or has Christ also always been... just not in human form?
Old 10-09-2012, 07:32   #15
JBnTX
JB in Tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geko45 View Post

Yeah, what do I know? I just graduated from a christian university.
Get your money back!
Demand a refund on the grounds that they didn't teach you a damn thing.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:39   #16
Glock36shooter

Quote:
Get your money back!
Demand a refund on the grounds that they didn't teach you a damn thing.
Easy... just go pray to your three gods and it'll be alright. Perhaps if one is angry with you today one of the other two will grant you gifts.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:41   #17
JBnTX
JB in Tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock36shooter View Post

When was the Trinity created? It is assumed that Yahweh has always been. I'm guessing the same is true of the Holy Spirit. Was it just the two of them until God created himself in human form to be Christ? Or has Christ also always been... just not in human form?
You're totally missing the point on the Trinity.

Let's use water as an analogy.

Water exists in three forms: water, ice and steam.
It's all still just water in different forms, dependent upon temperature.
It's not three different substances.

God exists in three forms too, only to allow himself to be perceived/exist in different ways and different places.

Steam, God himself in Heaven.
Water, God as perceived in the spirit world.
Ice, God manifested in physical form, known as Jesus.

There's nothing polytheist about it.

Last edited by JBnTX; 10-09-2012 at 07:43..
Old 10-09-2012, 07:46   #18
JBnTX
JB in Tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock36shooter View Post

What about people that are born without limbs? Are they also in God's image? How about people with genetic diseases? Does God also have these flaws?
Being born in God's image has nothing to do with physical appearance or genetics.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:03   #19
Geko45
CLM Number 135
Smartass Pilot

Quote:
Let's use water as an analogy. Water exists in three forms: water, ice and steam.
It's all still just water in different forms, dependent upon temperature. It's not three different substances.
Interesting analogy as any given sample of water is either in a state of fluid, solid or gas, not all three at the same time. If you were simply arguing that god can will himself into these various forms (more like the hindu god) then I would still be accusing you of believing in magic, but at least it would be monotheistic magic. But you're not, you are claiming that these three forms exist simultaneously and independently of one another but somehow still remain one entity.

As it stands with the current thinking on trinity doctrine, hinduism (ironically) can be more legitimately argued to be a monotheistic religion than christianity.

Last edited by Geko45; 10-09-2012 at 08:38..
Old 10-09-2012, 08:19   #20
muscogee

Quote:
So if there is any truth to this link-
a Pagan King put together a committee that forced his thoughts that may have been founded on Pagan ideas that was not well received by most in the Christian World. Then another King put together another committee that enforced the original Pagan thoughts against almost the rest of the Christian World. Wonder how much the rule of the sword was brought into play.
People were so afraid of Constantine that no one would touch his body until he had been dead for three days. They were afraid he would wake up and torture them for touching him. The sword was the main instrument of influence in his day.

You think he may have influenced which books got into the Bible and which were left out? Notice how the New Testament absolves the Romans for the crucifixion of Jesus and blames the Jews whom the Romans looted and destroyed. When it came to taxes, the New Testament has Jesus saying, "Render unto Caesar that which is Caesar's". If you don't pay taxes, God will get you. If not in this life, then the next one. It's just all too convenient.

Leona Helmsley
muscogee is offline   Reply With Quote