Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-08-2012, 20:22   #1
JuneyBooney

Anyone use Magic Jack or Plus?

Any of you folks use Magic Jack or Magic Jack Plus? I have seen it advertised for years and a friend recently got it and likes it but I am curious as to how many of you have tried it and if you like it? Thanks
JuneyBooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 20:41   #2
50 Cent

I've used MJ for the last 3 years and its awesome. But don't scrimp on the phone set. I have commercial grade ATT telephone set I use and the call quality is awesome. YMMV if you use a cheapo phone.

I unhesititatingly recommend MJ - I'm gonna keep using it.
Old 10-08-2012, 20:59   #3
cowboywannabe
you savvy?

tagged for details on this not sold in stores, act now and we'll double your order.....ginsu razor majic jack t.v. scam. tell me im wrong, show me your right.....id like to save 100 dollars a month by dumping t-mobile.....

Facts are no match against enthusiasm and ignorance...

Last edited by cowboywannabe; 10-08-2012 at 20:59..
cowboywannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:32   #4
boone10
Glockeologist

We were going to go to cell phones only, but my wife decided we needed a "back up" line. The MJ has been flawless as far as I can tell. The only people that know the number are a few of my sons friends and the in-laws, but never had any complaint thus far.

We did pay a little extra in order to pick from a large list of numbers--got one that we could remember. Also, IIRC (because I never use it) you have to dial the area code plus the number (10 digits as opposed to 7) when you place a call.
boone10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:21   #5
havensal
CLM Number 216
Nozzle Jockey

Our + works fine. We have had a few dropped calls, but I can't say for sure they were on our end.

Getting a local number isn't a given. Our # is from a city 60 miles away. That was the best they could offer.

They claimed you could port your old number, but apparently Verizon will not give our up so we had to change.

I have ours connected to a Uniden cordless set.

I like the MagicJack App on my Ipod Touch. I can see who called when I am not home. I can also answer the call on my Ipod if I wish.

I don't like to talk to people so a dropped call or two is fine with me.

Sure better than $70/month.

I wouldn't try it on a slower connection. I used the money saved on the phone bill for a faster connection.
RTN Bodyguard Club #034 "FearMyLaserLytes"
havensal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:25   #6
John Rambo
Raven

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuneyBooney View Post
Any of you folks use Magic Jack or Magic Jack Plus? I have seen it advertised for years and a friend recently got it and likes it but I am curious as to how many of you have tried it and if you like it? Thanks
Its crap compared to a traditional phone system or a real VOIP system. But not terrible, especially if you've got a cell for primary use.

Last edited by John Rambo; 10-09-2012 at 08:25..
John Rambo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:25   #7
valvestem

A friend in FLA has been using a MJ for several years and has no complaints.
valvestem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:36   #8
Rinspeed
JAFO

My brother uses it all the time when he is out of the country. Works pretty well as far as I can tell, maybe 10% of the time the connection is not the best.

You run and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking, racing around to come up behind you again, the sun is the same in a relative way but you’re older, shorter of breath and one day closer to death…
Rinspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:44   #9
Gallium
CLM Number 182
Charter Lifetime Member

Call quality is lower than POTS.

I have MJ and POTS and VOIP (Vonage) in one location. MJ offers the least quality - but it is able to allow for call completion enough where I tolerate it, and when I pack up shop it is the system I roll with as it is the most portable (I have the Vonage app for the phones + iPad).

- G
Gallium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:46   #10
roberev

Magic Jack call quality is not something that you may rely on. The servers frequently are overloaded, resulting in broken connections. I understand that if you are an IT wiz, you can program your phone to avoid the more troublesome servers, but that's beyond my ability.

I dropped Verizon FiOS phone service so that I could save money. Magic Jack has been an unsuccessful experiment. I am in the process of switching to a quality VoIP service.

Rob
roberev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:54   #11
TeeJay37

What is the advantage if you already don't have a home phone? Would it really be useful in an emergency? The only thing I could see is if I try to call my fiancé since her cell may not be on ring.
TeeJay37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:31   #12
coastal4974

Got the plus. It works great and you can't beat the price.
My wife uses it for hours of conference calls and has never dropped a call.

It sounds better than my crap HTC cell phone.

Last edited by coastal4974; 10-09-2012 at 11:32..
coastal4974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:10   #13
TheRogue

Been using the Magic Jack Plus for a few months now, and would recommend it.

The $ savings has been substantial, and one can save even more by buying one of their extended service packages.

I opted to keep my original phone #, and because of purchasing their pre-paid phone package, will not see a phone bill for another 5 years or so.
TheRogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:59   #14
captainstormy

Send a message via ICQ to captainstormy Send a message via AIM to captainstormy Send a message via Yahoo to captainstormy
My FIL uses a Magic Jack Plus. Sometimes it sounds okay, sometimes it isn't usable.

I use an Ooma in my home office. It basically just replaces the VOIP box that a telco company would give you these days. I've never had any issues with that.

If you wanted something, I would recommend it. The Hardware is a bit pricey. Depending on where you buy them, and rather you get refurbished or new they will run you anywhere from $100 - $200.

I got mine refurbished from woot.com for $100. Still comes with the same warranty as a new unit did and the monthly bill is $4. Even with their premium service it would only be $10 per month.

Woot only sells them every few months. You can get a refurbished one all the time for Ooma's website for I think it's $140 or so.
Old 10-09-2012, 21:12   #15
98LS-WON

I used a MJ in S Korea or 2 years w/ no issues. The software on my computer started to go dumb when it went into standby, so my phone wouldn't ring if the computer was asleep. that is my only complaint, and it really wasn't an issue.
98LS-WON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 22:16   #16
JimBianchi
CLM Number 25
Da Da

Four years now, just upgraded to Plus last year.

I works when I need it to and the call quality is excellent.

But when the contract expires I think we will let it go.

We use our cells for 99% of calls.
SAF

The scariest words in the English language: I'm from the government and I'm here to help! President Ronald Reagan
JimBianchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:13   #17
JuneyBooney

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastal4974 View Post
Got the plus. It works great and you can't beat the price.
My wife uses it for hours of conference calls and has never dropped a call.

It sounds better than my crap HTC cell phone.
I have found cell phones to not sound as good as they used to a few years ago. So I know what you are speaking of.
JuneyBooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:57   #18
ChiefWPD

I've used MagicJack for several years (forget how many). It's the only phone line I use for long-distance calls. We use it when we travel and when we go to AZ for the winter.

Works just find. Can't tell the difference between MagicJack calls and "regular" phone calls. Do get a good quality phone to hook up to it. Made the mistake of first trying to get it to operate with a cheap phone and that didn't work out too well.

My buddy has the Plus version. He loves it. If I had to buy another MagicJack it'd be that model (no computer needed).

Oh, one last thing. My wife (German) uses it to call her relatives in Germany. I put in ten bucks and that lasted for a couple of years. It's a penny or two a minute for international calls (depends on the country). And let me tell you, she can really yack it up!

Last edited by ChiefWPD; 10-10-2012 at 05:59..
ChiefWPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:50   #19
cowboywannabe
you savvy?

i only have a cell phone (t-mobile), 3 phones with unlimited texting and 700 shared minutes with free nites and weekends is $109.00/month.

what would be the benefit of me going with MJ? im all about saving money for the same features i have now.

Facts are no match against enthusiasm and ignorance...
cowboywannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:11   #20
captainstormy

Send a message via ICQ to captainstormy Send a message via AIM to captainstormy Send a message via Yahoo to captainstormy
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboywannabe View Post
i only have a cell phone (t-mobile), 3 phones with unlimited texting and 700 shared minutes with free nites and weekends is $109.00/month.

what would be the benefit of me going with MJ? im all about saving money for the same features i have now.
Depends on your usage. For some peole they are able to use them to make alot of long calls on so they can carry smaller and cheaper cell phone plans.

Mine is for business usage. I work from a home office so I'm sometimes on the phone for 3-4 hours per day. That would quickly drain a cell plan that had x minutes and the unlimited ones are expensive.

Also, I don't want work to use my personal cell to contact me all the time.
Old 10-10-2012, 13:09   #21
gigab1te

We use magic jack plus and love it.

The only downsides are: 1. you do need to use a quality phone with it for the best quality sound, and 2. They try to upsell you a local phone number. If you want a local phone number, you pay an upfront charge and then an additional monthly or yearly fee also. If you don't buy a local number, your number may come from a different area in the county you live in, but you only pay the small annual fee.

Our magic jack cost about $50, and included two free years ofservice. For that price, you can't go wrong trying it out. If you don't like it, chuck it, or give it away.
gigab1te is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:45   #22
boomhower

I've got a Nettalk Duo and love it. It's like the Magic Jack Plus but only $45 compared to $70. You also never need to plug it into a computer. Just register it online, set up your account, and plug it into your router/phone. Only downside was I couldn't get a local number, got one from a town about 30 miles away. But I only got it for when the babysitter is here as her cell phone doesn't get a good signal. All me and my wife use are our cell phones.
boomhower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:39   #23
CaptainXL

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeJay37 View Post
What is the advantage if you already don't have a home phone? Would it really be useful in an emergency? The only thing I could see is if I try to call my fiancé since her cell may not be on ring.
In my particular case I use NetTalk (similar to Magic Jack) for long distance calling. That way I could drop long distance use from my landline phone. Long Distance was extremely expensive on the landline.

I've had NetTalk for over two years and love it. Great call quality!!!

NetTalk also has a smart phone app that allows you to make calls over a WiFi connection instead of a regular cell tower. We spend 2+ weeks a year in an area that does not have cell phone coverage. Many places have WiFi in that area. End result is that I can use my android phone to make a call (over WiFi) even though there is not cell phone coverage in the area.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:12   #24
JimBianchi
CLM Number 25
Da Da

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomhower View Post
I've got a Nettalk Duo and love it. It's like the Magic Jack Plus but only $45 compared to $70. You also never need to plug it into a computer. Just register it online, set up your account, and plug it into your router/phone. Only downside was I couldn't get a local number, got one from a town about 30 miles away. But I only got it for when the babysitter is here as her cell phone doesn't get a good signal. All me and my wife use are our cell phones.
The MJ+ is similar, no computer needed.

Much better than the previous version.

I bought mine under the old computer-needed system, but got a great deal of $99 for 5 years (I bought a $60 E-Machine on Craigslist and used it as the "server"). I had a billing issue and they corrected it and threw in another year, I upgraded last year for $20 and they threw in another year.

So 7 years for $119, I am set until 2015 or 16, I forget. (But it sits unused for the most part)
SAF

The scariest words in the English language: I'm from the government and I'm here to help! President Ronald Reagan
JimBianchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:23   #25
aircarver
Silver Membership
Ride Continues

I also have Nettalk as a backup to AT&T POTS that AT&T can't seem to get an intermittent hum out of.

I would've dropped AT&T, but Nettalk is OK for local service, without the line noise, BUT it has dropped a bunch of long distance calls in a burst of noise, so I can't trust it for my only land-line connection.

They'd created a vast, permanently unemployed underclass, dependent upon the Republic's stupendous welfare machine for its very existence, and in so doing, they'd sown the seeds of their own destruction. No one could place two-thirds of a world's population on the Dole and keep them there forever without the entire system crashing . . . but how in hell did one get them off the Dole? -David Weber, Flag in Exile
aircarver is online now   Reply With Quote