Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2012, 13:36   #1
LASTRESORT20
LongTerm-Guy
 
LASTRESORT20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NC
Posts: 8,256
Why he's falling apart ~ The foundations of Obama's campaign are not nearly

Political Issues


FTA "A presidential reelection campaign needs three key elements: a defense of the incumbent’s record, a successful effort to define the opposition and a compelling vision of a second term.

President Obama may well celebrate a second term in Chicago next month, but the conventional wisdom underestimates the difficulty he faces, as his campaign has distinct problems with all three elements.

His defense of his record is exceptionally weak, his effort to define Mitt Romney is nearly exhausted, and his vision for the next four years — perhaps the most important — has been largely missing from his effort this year."





http://www.nydailynews.com/opinion/f...icle-1.1176348

Last edited by LASTRESORT20; 10-07-2012 at 13:37..
LASTRESORT20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 13:56   #2
countrygun
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 17,068
An accurate summary.

His record is abysmal. Finding something worth defending is almost impossible.

Attempting to define Romney has degenerated into schoolyard name calling.

His vision of a second term is more of the failure of the first term.

Last edited by countrygun; 10-07-2012 at 13:56..
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 14:02   #3
JFrame
Senior Member
 
JFrame's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Mid-Atlantic, US of A
Posts: 32,528
Excellent analysis -- thanks for posting the article... Political Issues


.
__________________
"When newspapers are controlled, it's amazing how ignorant and immune from pressure the government can be." -- Amartya Sen

--
JFrame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 14:09   #4
GAFinch
Senior Member
 
GAFinch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Georgia
Posts: 5,809
It'd be interesting to see Valerie Jarrett debate Romney next time. She could hold her own with clear policy ideas, but the Tea Party movement would suddenly grow to about 200 million people.
GAFinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 14:19   #5
Trew2Life
#intheflesh
 
Trew2Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: terra nullius
Posts: 1,531
Should we really apply 'conventional wisdom' in such an unconventional election? extremely popular president; an economy that can be described as 'lack-luster' (at worst); sub-par GOP nominee.

It will be a difficult task. His defense of his record is exceptionally weak, but it is not indefensible.

Trying to define Mitt Romney can be exhausting. Romney has the worst favorability ratings in modern memory. There are many issues to define.

I don't know what percent group I fall into. I served in the military. I've worked 30+ years. I've always earned a good living, but I've never owed/paid federal income taxes. Go figure.

I do know (and data supports) my personal economics have always seem to fair better under democratic administrations.
__________________
Excuses are tools of the incompetent used to build monuments of nothingness. Those who use them seldom amount to anything.

Last edited by Trew2Life; 10-07-2012 at 14:43..
Trew2Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 14:30   #6
Chronos
Senior Member
 
Chronos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,975
IMO, he doesn't need a campaign when close to half the people are entirely willing to promise their (and our) childrens' future labor and wealth to China right now for a few more pathetic government "goodies" today. In the long term, this ultimate disgusting form of greed will win out, as it does in every democracy. Best to get psychologically ahead of the game, if you don't want to repeat history.
__________________
If you've already accepted that "violence against the innocent" is a morally legitimate means of funding the government, who are you to complain when the majority apprporiates your legacy and sells your children into a lifetime of debt slavery?
Chronos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 14:49   #7
LASTRESORT20
LongTerm-Guy
 
LASTRESORT20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NC
Posts: 8,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trew2Life View Post
Should we really apply 'conventional wisdom' in such an unconventional election? extremely popular president; an economy that can be described as 'lack-luster' (at worst); sub-par GOP nominee.

It will be a difficult task. His defense of his record is exceptionally weak, but it is not indefensible.

Trying to define Mitt Romney can be exhausting. Romney has the worst favorability ratings in modern memory. There are many issues to define.

I don't know what percent group I fall into. I served in the military. I've worked 30+ years. I've always earned a good living, but I've never owed/paid federal income taxes. Go figure.

I do know (and data supports) my personal economics have always seem to fair better under democratic administrations.

Trying to `explain` obama (The guy `in Power` now) can be exhausting...he is the most damaging president in the history of this country.....*This failing "Democratic" administration is like non-other we have ever seen...it is not the same....it has changed to an anti-American party...anyone that cannot see that has issues.....

Blind ravenous Lemming socialists will continue to try and discredit the `success` of Mitt Romney as a person and businessman.....They have nothing else to go with...Nothing.
LASTRESORT20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 15:04   #8
Trew2Life
#intheflesh
 
Trew2Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: terra nullius
Posts: 1,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by LASTRESORT20 View Post
Trying to `explain` obama (The guy `in Power` now) can be exhausting...he is the most damaging president in the history of this country.....*This failing "Democratic" administration is like non-other we have ever seen...it is not the same....it has changed to an anti-American party...anyone that cannot see that has issues.....

Blind ravenous Lemming socialists will continue to try and discredit the `success` of Mitt Romney as a person and businessman.....They have nothing else to go with...Nothing.
Your arguement seems a little irrational. "The most damaging president in the history of this country" is quite a subjective dishonor. I have a steady job. My job is hiring. My community is expanding. New business' are building. Wall Street is earning record breaking profits. My civil rights have not been violated.

I'm sorry if the place you live is stiffled in failed economics plans. That may be the result of poor leadership on a state/local level.
__________________
Excuses are tools of the incompetent used to build monuments of nothingness. Those who use them seldom amount to anything.
Trew2Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 15:20   #9
countrygun
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 17,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trew2Life View Post
Your arguement seems a little irrational. "The most damaging president in the history of this country" is quite a subjective dishonor. I have a steady job. My job is hiring. My community is expanding. New business' are building. Wall Street is earning record breaking profits. My civil rights have not been violated.

I'm sorry if the place you live is stiffled in failed economics plans. That may be the result of poor leadership on a state/local level.

Well if what you said earlier is true,


"I don't know what percent group I fall into. I served in the military. I've worked 30+ years. I've always earned a good living, but I've never owed/paid federal income taxes. Go figure."


other than your military service you have been getting a free ride so I don't think it is fair for you to tell taxpayers what they should put up with.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 15:23   #10
LoadToadBoss
IYAAYWOT
 
LoadToadBoss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Northwest Louisiana
Posts: 3,438
"Hope and Change" is not an economic recovery plan any more than hoping things change.

If the foundations were flawed at the first, they will falter at the finish. BHO's economic world view and vision of government are flawed from inception.
__________________
"An essential element of a mature democracy is the ability to allow others the liberty to exercise a right that you may find distasteful." --LTB

"Government cannot deny its citizens a right on the off chance that right might be abused." --Unknown

Last edited by LoadToadBoss; 10-07-2012 at 15:25..
LoadToadBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 16:12   #11
jdavionic
NRA Member
 
jdavionic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 12,316
Geez, you're quick. I bet you just barely beat lintfocker from making the same post

Funny, some of the Sunday talking heads made the same points. He has no defense for his record and really cannot talk about it. It's inexcusable.
__________________
- JD

"No matter how bad it gets, if you're still alive it's just another bad day."
jdavionic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 16:17   #12
Trew2Life
#intheflesh
 
Trew2Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: terra nullius
Posts: 1,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygun View Post
Well if what you said earlier is true,

"I don't know what percent group I fall into. I served in the military. I've worked 30+ years. I've always earned a good living, but I've never owed/paid federal income taxes. Go figure."

other than your military service you have been getting a free ride so I don't think it is fair for you to tell taxpayers what they should put up with.
I'm not quite sure where the 'free ride' is.
I earn. I spend. I consume. Repeat.

I get no entitlements. I get no subsidies. I pay sales tax, State, Social Security and Medicare taxes.

If, during the period of a fiscal year, I pay more taxes than owed I will receive a tax refund.

This is your definition of a 'free ride'? We are in deficit worm hole, but I am not the 'free rider' you're looking for.
__________________
Excuses are tools of the incompetent used to build monuments of nothingness. Those who use them seldom amount to anything.
Trew2Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 16:30   #13
Trew2Life
#intheflesh
 
Trew2Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: terra nullius
Posts: 1,531
I empathize with anyone who may be living in a community that is struggling under economic pressures. Particularly, in areas where the economic hardships are made worse by poor leadership on a local/state level.

I live in a blue state. We have the honor of having the highest average median household income in the nation. We also have the largest share of millionaires per capita than any other state in the union.

We have crime. We have unemployment. We have no right to carry , but what we do have is economic opportunities and prosperity. We have new home constructions and business development.

So, forgive us northeastern Mason-Dixon'ers if we don't see the '1000 years of darkness' foretold by our opponents.
__________________
Excuses are tools of the incompetent used to build monuments of nothingness. Those who use them seldom amount to anything.
Trew2Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 19:53   #14
JFrame
Senior Member
 
JFrame's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Mid-Atlantic, US of A
Posts: 32,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trew2Life View Post
I empathize with anyone who may be living in a community that is struggling under economic pressures. Particularly, in areas where the economic hardships are made worse by poor leadership on a local/state level.

I live in a blue state. We have the honor of having the highest average median household income in the nation. We also have the largest share of millionaires per capita than any other state in the union.

We have crime. We have unemployment. We have no right to carry , but what we do have is economic opportunities and prosperity. We have new home constructions and business development.

So, forgive us northeastern Mason-Dixon'ers if we don't see the '1000 years of darkness' foretold by our opponents.

The one thing I do notice is that during morning rush hour, the traffic going into Virginia on the Wilson Bridge is deeper than the one leaving -- and the inverse is true in the evening.

I wish you Marylanders would keep your "booming economy" to yourselves...


.
__________________
"When newspapers are controlled, it's amazing how ignorant and immune from pressure the government can be." -- Amartya Sen

--
JFrame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 20:04   #15
jdavionic
NRA Member
 
jdavionic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 12,316
Obama has a new plan for the next debate

Political Issues
__________________
- JD

"No matter how bad it gets, if you're still alive it's just another bad day."
jdavionic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 20:12   #16
G29Reload
Tread Lightly
 
G29Reload's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 12,520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trew2Life View Post
Should we really apply 'conventional wisdom' in such an unconventional election? .
Yes, we should. He doesn't get a pass like he's managed in every other aspect of his life.

Its not that unconventional an election. It reminds me of 1980 when another failed dem president ran for reelection on a hideous record and failed.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Trew2Life View Post
extremely popular president;
You're delusional or drunk. One of the most hated. 2010 is gonna look like a picnic, troll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trew2Life View Post
an economy that can be described as 'lack-luster' (at worst);
Ronald Reagan solved twice as bad a recession in 2 years. The reason we've had a double dip of the worst kind is because bongo is making it worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trew2Life View Post
sub-par GOP nominee.
His first act as nominee was choosing paul ryan. Next up was the debates which started last week. I was never the guys biggest fan but i think hes gonna surprise us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trew2Life View Post
It will be a difficult task. His defense of his record is exceptionally weak, but it is not indefensible.
Its the most pathetic on record.

Unless you think throwing our allies under the bus, an ambassador killed on sovereign American territory for the first time in more than 30 yrs, a dead Border Patrol agent murdered with a weapon provided by Obama's administration, and his justice dept protecting polling place thugs in Philadelphia is your idea of having your back, or pissing away 7 trillion dollars in debt, charged to the Bank Of China in our children's name is even remotely defensible.
__________________
Avenge me...AVENGE ME!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
G29Reload is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:48   #17
ModGlock17
Senior Member
 
ModGlock17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lalaland USA
Posts: 2,626
I talk to 60+ people a day, many of whom I know and many are guests. What I've been seeing is that educated (say HS diplomas and up) consistently point out Obama's record. For them, this record imprinted in stone that nothing can help defending it.

Yet, for another group, predominantly chocolate, never really get to complete HS, they ignore Obama's record completely. They don't see that he is using them while have nothing in common with them. I congratulate the leftists who recognized this untapped voting resource and are using it to the hilt. It's true that they never got the redistribution check openly, don't have healthcare of any kind, don't make enough to pay tax, never graduated from HS. It is also true that they see Obama as a hero, dare to rise among the whites. It is perception that matters, not reality.

Facts and records do matter to people who think. There's plenty out there who are myopic, who are cocaine numb between the ears from years of drugs. For a pack of cigarettes or an Andrew Jackson, they will vote Obama.

With all that in mind, the only thing I see matter in this campaign is funding. If BHO campaign is lead into the notion that they have to spend HUGE dollars in ads to keep up, then there would be less Jacksons to hand out early November.
ModGlock17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:53   #18
series1811
CLM Number
Enforcerator.
 
series1811's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Retired, but not expired.
Posts: 14,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trew2Life View Post
Should we really apply 'conventional wisdom' in such an unconventional election? extremely popular president; an economy that can be described as 'lack-luster' (at worst); sub-par GOP nominee.

It will be a difficult task. His defense of his record is exceptionally weak, but it is not indefensible.

Trying to define Mitt Romney can be exhausting. Romney has the worst favorability ratings in modern memory. There are many issues to define.

I don't know what percent group I fall into. I served in the military. I've worked 30+ years. I've always earned a good living, but I've never owed/paid federal income taxes. Go figure.

I do know (and data supports) my personal economics have always seem to fair better under democratic administrations.
What's unconventional about it? It's as conventional as you can get. You have an elected poltician who hasn't been able to do his job, or keep his promises, who has someone running against him who says he can do better.

You either believe he can (or at least can't do any worse) and vote for the challenger. Or you believe he is even a bigger loser than the incumbant (pretty hard to do with Obama as the incumbant).

It's Jimmy Carter redux, for Christ's sake. It isn't that hard.
__________________
I sure miss the country I grew up in.

Last edited by series1811; 10-08-2012 at 06:55..
series1811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:08   #19
Cavalry Doc
MAJ (USA Ret.)
 
Cavalry Doc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Republic of Texas
Posts: 42,688


Quote:
Originally Posted by Trew2Life View Post
Your arguement seems a little irrational. "The most damaging president in the history of this country" is quite a subjective dishonor. I have a steady job. My job is hiring. My community is expanding. New business' are building. Wall Street is earning record breaking profits. My civil rights have not been violated.

I'm sorry if the place you live is stiffled in failed economics plans. That may be the result of poor leadership on a state/local level.
There's an old saying. When my neighbor is out of work, it's a recession, when I am out of work, it's a depression.

It is odd that you made a good living, but have never had an end of year federal tax liability. We may have different ideas about what a good living is, or the tax system needs an overhaul.

You are a veteran, have you looked around the world lately, things are moving into position to start some very interesting times. Barry has shown us what weakness, ineptitude and capitulation get us. Ask Ambassador Stevens' widow, she can explain it better than I can. So can Brian Terry's Parents, Michael Cahill's children, and many others.
Cavalry Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:04   #20
countrygun
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 17,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by series1811 View Post
What's unconventional about it? It's as conventional as you can get. You have an elected poltician who hasn't been able to do his job, or keep his promises, who has someone running against him who says he can do better.

You either believe he can (or at least can't do any worse) and vote for the challenger. Or you believe he is even a bigger loser than the incumbant (pretty hard to do with Obama as the incumbant).

It's Jimmy Carter redux, for Christ's sake. It isn't that hard.
Oh but obviously it can't be the same because of the color of Obama's skin, that makes everything different because ........uhm........because.......because there is a different standard.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 15:43.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,055
306 Members
749 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,672
Aug 11, 2014 at 2:31