Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-19-2012, 23:39   #1
jassing
NRA Life Member

Send a message via ICQ to jassing Send a message via AIM to jassing Send a message via MSN to jassing Send a message via Yahoo to jassing Send a message via Skype™ to jassing
Side Scope mount "skewed" (not just offset)

I had a local (and highly recommended) gunsmith install a side/slide scope mount on my mak90. This gun has been trouble free and accurate/fun gun; but I wanted to try seeing how far out I could go.

So he installed the side mount and claimed it was all centerlined with the bore.

When I got home, the actual mount was skewed, in that the rear of the rail was on the left side of bore centerline, while the front of the rail was on the right.

The result is I can zero a scope at a fixed distance, but at any other distance it's off by feet -- iow: if not "at the distance zero'd" I do not only have to aim for elevation/bullet drop; but also horizontal for the distance. "aim about 2' away from the target" knid of thing.

The gunsmith insists that it was centered; but there's no way it is.

I ordered a different brand mount to see if the mount was in error -- but it shows the exact same issue. This is not that it's just off set from center line, it's skewed across it.

If it were "just a scope" I could get rings to offset to 'hack a solution' and get it aligned to the bore; but I am using an eotech...

Has anyone experienced this? Any thoughts on correcting it? (other than replacing the rifle) The only thing I thought of was somehow shimming the the side-mount so that the resulting scope rail would be aligned with the bore.

I don't think it's a "stamped" or "mak90" issue -- as I've seen both (non mak90 stamped & mak90) with side rails and they were spot on and they didn't do anything special.

Just for fun, I did some quick calculations:
My math is probably flawed.... but:
The Kalashnikov Klub
(This would be for a scopy center lined to the mount vs straight out the barrel.)
jassing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 00:36   #2
coondawg477

So the gunsmith mounted the side rail and now the mount you have put on the side rail is way off and not centered over the bore? The rail could be mounted correctly, your mount sounds bent, if I am understanding what you wrote. I have two AKs with side rails, both mounts that i have are centered and work great when installed.

Last edited by coondawg477; 10-20-2012 at 00:38..
coondawg477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:10   #3
maxxmojo

What optic and mount combo are you using?
maxxmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 12:21   #4
jassing
NRA Life Member

Send a message via ICQ to jassing Send a message via AIM to jassing Send a message via MSN to jassing Send a message via Yahoo to jassing Send a message via Skype™ to jassing
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxmojo View Post
What optic and mount combo are you using?
EOTech & a generic aluminum mount like this:
http://goo.gl/zsf6b (I've seen the exact mount sold under various names ie, UTG/Leapers http://goo.gl/TbYYa)

I also have a Kalinka; it shows the exact same error.
jassing is offline   Reply With Quote