Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-10-2012, 16:31   #1
wjv

Dropped DSL

Dropped DSL from CenturyStink. . Um. . Link.

Was getting 1.4Mbs for ~$40 per month+taxes. Comcast cable internet is now installed. The speed test is showing 28.5Mps!

We will be paying $30/month for 6 months, then $45 for the next 6 months. after that it will probably go to $60.

Next week we pick up a Magic Jack and say good bye to CenturyLink and their $95/month!

The urge to save humanity is almost always a false-face for the urge to rule it.
- H. L. Mencken -

Last edited by wjv; 10-10-2012 at 16:33..
wjv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 16:35   #2
Gallium
CLM Number 182
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjv View Post
Dropped DSL from CenturyStink. . Um. . Link.

Was getting 1.4Mbs for ~$40 per month+taxes. Comcast cable internet is now installed. The speed test is showing 28.5Mps!

We will be paying $30/month for 6 months, then $45 for the next 6 months. after that it will probably go to $60.

Next week we pick up a Magic Jack and say good bye to CenturyLink and their $95/month!

What is DSL?
Gallium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 16:43   #3
wjv

Digital Subscriber Line - Internet (Typically 1.5Mbs max) over your phone line. It's what replaced Dial-Up. Now Newer technologies are replacing DSL.

The urge to save humanity is almost always a false-face for the urge to rule it.
- H. L. Mencken -

Last edited by wjv; 10-10-2012 at 16:44..
wjv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 17:45   #4
Lee-online
Mul-ti-pass

I just did the same. Frontier DSL and phone was costing me $70. I got the Comcast triple play for $99. Went from 1.27 to 25.46.

—Thomas Jefferson
Lee-online is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 18:52   #5
berto62

I'm happy with my DSL. 6 Meg for 40 a month
Old 10-10-2012, 18:56   #6
m2hmghb

I love my cable. 35 down 2-5 up. A small company is the way to go if possible, mine is very responsive to issues and they do not slack when there are problems.

The M1 Garand rifle is the best battle implement ever devised by man.
m2hmghb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 18:56   #7
JMarch
♩. ♪ ♫ ♪ ♬♩

I'm happy with mine too. 3Megs for $15 a month :D
JMarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 19:15   #8
Bigpoppie50

I'm pretty happy with my CenturyLink DSL(3Meg/$29 per month). I am in a rural area and it is the fastest speed I can get due to my Distance(approx 13000ft. from the CO). I gotta check and see if there is another provider in the area because I have had this for a while and there does not seem to be any upgrades in the future.
Bigpoppie50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 19:16   #9
*ASH*

dropped windstream here 2 weeks ago , 40 bucks and only 3 mg

hooked up with charter cable , 40 bucks month and we get this speed now

The Okie Corral

Last edited by *ASH*; 10-10-2012 at 19:19..
*ASH* is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:53   #10
kirgi08
Silver Membership
Watcher.

100mbps.I don't know how ta post the above "pings".Don't bother..08.

If you look like food,You will be eaten.

Rip Chad.You will be missed.
kirgi08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:00   #11
Atomic Punk

i switched from comcast to century link. advertised as 12mbs average 9-10. slower than comcast. but a series of bad customer service issues and about $60 less a month lead me to changing.
Atomic Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:20   #12
Drain You
NRA member

DSL is a dying technology but in many places it is the only choice and people are very happy with it. My cable is over 20mb but I'd change to DSL in a heartbeat.

RAIN should not cause 3 day outages for an entire neighborhood, Comcast.
Drain You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:07   #13
GasTurbine
Porschey Power!

DSL supports speeds up to 15mb easily, and is hardly a "dying technology" AT&Ts U-Verse and its accompanied DSL, are knocking people of cable all over te place around here.

I would also be suspect to any cable claims of 25mb or faster. In any environment where there are multiple users, the bandwidth gets sucked down the more users that are on. If you have software registering these high numbers, methinks the software must be a little "happy".
GasTurbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:32   #14
Drain You
NRA member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasTurbine View Post
DSL supports speeds up to 15mb easily, and is hardly a "dying technology" AT&Ts U-Verse and its accompanied DSL, are knocking people of cable all over te place around here.

I would also be suspect to any cable claims of 25mb or faster. In any environment where there are multiple users, the bandwidth gets sucked down the more users that are on. If you have software registering these high numbers, methinks the software must be a little "happy".

DSL up to 15MBPS? In what country? At&t is the largest DSL provider and their top speed is 6 down. Some customers enjoy a higher speed but usually not more than 6.8MB

Yes, DSL is dying. It was a great idea, using already existing technology to boost people from dial up speeds to 1MB or more, now up to 6MB. ADSL maxes out at 8MB.
Yes there are other DSL technologies that can go as high as 24MBPS, but you won't see it in the United States as far as I know of.

Funny that you should speak of At&t and U-verse. You know that is not DSL, right? It is fiber optic cable. Download speeds go around 24 down with U-Verse, and At&t is working as fast as they can to move customers over to the new technology, in fact doing force migrations. Because they are killing DSL off.

They physically strip the copper wiring from the home/pole when installing U-verse.

The one thing you did get right was about the software being "happy". Anyone smart enough to run more than 1 source for speed tests knows that.

I get over 20 on all of them.

Last edited by Drain You; 10-11-2012 at 10:32..
Old 10-11-2012, 10:40   #15
GasTurbine
Porschey Power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drain You View Post
DSL up to 15MBPS? In what country?
The united States.

Quote:
Yes, DSL is dying.
Not here (Columbus, Ohio) its not.

Quote:
Yes there are other DSL technologies that can go as high as 24MBPS, but you won't see it in the United States as far as I know of.[
Perhaps this is the problem. You see, I work in IT.

Quote:
Funny that you should speak of At&t and U-verse. You know that is not DSL, right?
Wrong.

Quote:
It is fiber optic cable.
Again, wrong. They run FOC to the local area MDF only, from there, its good old DSL on copper technology. This is why DSL doesnt suffer from shrinking bandwidth with more users.

Regards.

Last edited by GasTurbine; 10-11-2012 at 10:40..
GasTurbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:43   #16
Viper16

its funny that 1 mb/ps is 0.125 megabytes per second, for a while I thought it was megabytes per second. I could only imagine have 80mb/ps.
Viper16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:15   #17
Big_Grumpy
Go Cheese!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drain You View Post
DSL up to 15MBPS? In what country? At&t is the largest DSL provider and their top speed is 6 down. Some customers enjoy a higher speed but usually not more than 6.8MB

Yes, DSL is dying. It was a great idea, using already existing technology to boost people from dial up speeds to 1MB or more, now up to 6MB. ADSL maxes out at 8MB.
Yes there are other DSL technologies that can go as high as 24MBPS, but you won't see it in the United States as far as I know of.
Wrong on many levels. VDSL2 is alive and well and capable of 25mb speeds. My US based company provides it.

Last edited by Big_Grumpy; 10-11-2012 at 12:26..
Big_Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:24   #18
Clutch Cargo
Amsterdam Haze

I pay around $60, but on a 4G network, I can go just about anywhere and have internet access for my computer.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:33   #19
Viper16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Grumpy View Post
Wrong on many levels. VDSL2 is alive and well and capable of 25mb speeds. My US based company provides it.
how are the upload speeds?
Viper16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:42   #20
Dalton Wayne
CLM Number 239
Epic mustache

Send a message via MSN to Dalton Wayne Send a message via Skype™ to Dalton Wayne
Get the magic jack the you do not need a computer to run, they work much better than the the one that plugs into the computer.....
As Stephen F. Roberts so famously said speaking with a Christian apologist "I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
Dalton Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 13:14   #21
Big_Grumpy
Go Cheese!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper16 View Post
how are the upload speeds?
It's capped around 5-6mb. Although when I ran it, it was more around 2.

Like was mentioned, speeds vary based on your distance from the serving device.
Old 10-11-2012, 14:05   #22
Naelbis

I have 10mb/s ADSL from Nemont Communications here in ND. It is the ONLY option in my rural area for internet faster than 1mb/s down. Bundled with a phoneline it costs me $86 a month, if I want just the DSL it is $100 a month. They offer 30mb/s business lines, but they aren't available to me. Since they are the only provider, I do not see any chance of them upgrading their tech...EVER.
Old 10-11-2012, 14:20   #23
michael_b
BRC #1492

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjv View Post
Digital Subscriber Line - Internet (Typically 1.5Mbs max) over your phone line. It's what replaced Dial-Up. Now Newer technologies are replacing DSL.
Lol newer tech replaced DSL a decade ago lol- unless you live

Glad you were able to upgrade.

-On mobile

"Compromise on gun-rights? Did Rosa Parks settle for the middle of the bus?"-Mushinto
michael_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 16:06   #24
Drain You
NRA member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasTurbine View Post
The united States.
Not here (Columbus, Ohio) its not.
Perhaps this is the problem. You see, I work in IT.
Wrong.
Again, wrong. They run FOC to the local area MDF only, from there, its good old DSL on copper technology. This is why DSL doesnt suffer from shrinking bandwidth with more users.
Regards.

Yeah ok, it is not even worth telling you who I am because you wouldn't believe it.

Last edited by Drain You; 10-11-2012 at 16:07..
Old 10-11-2012, 17:56   #25
Glock&KimberLady
Booyah!

I wish I could have DSL or FiOS. I am stuck with wireless broadband...that's NO streaming (no XBox Live or NetFlix) and a cap of 10Gb per month, $10/Gb after that.

Don't know the daily cap but I've run up against it a few times and they throttled me down to 1kbps for 24 hours.

And DSL most certainly does run out of assigned IPs. If companies adopt iPv6, no, but currently we are in a holding pattern for IP addresses in some areas up here.

Hence making people, loooong ago, use dynamic instead of static IP addresses in a logon situation. I remember my static IP address.