Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-12-2012, 09:15   #21
samuse

Oh well, don't worry. If he goes to jail I'm sure she'll find someone else to beat the snot out her.

Quote:
You suck at...well, everything so far.
samuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:41   #22
James Dean

Is this the Repo man your talking about
James Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:58   #23
HexHead

Okay, we're all thinking it, is she hot?
HexHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:22   #24
ChuteTheMall
HildabeastHater

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW1178 View Post
....What was really interesting is I remember her telling me about him doing repo's with this guy a couple times and she said they carry guns because they have to because her husband's friend has been shot once and they get guns pointed at them all the time.
That's interesting.

So usually, he illegally carries a gun but this time he didn't, and he got caught with someone else's gun.

Right.
"I was part of a 10-person team at the human genome project that weaponized diseases to fight weaponized diseases. Pathogenic microorganisms with pathogenic microorganisms. Fire with fire. Interdepartmental drinks were had, relationships made..."
ChuteTheMall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:28   #25
Panglоss
I am the NRA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoon44 View Post
Here are two critical points in regards to the charges,

1. it is not his vehicle
2. it was not his gun. they have a statement from the vehicle owner that HIS gun was in the car.
Doesn't really matter. He still legally had possession of the firearm at the time, which he was not authorized for.
Panglоss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:29   #26
Dragoon44
Lifetime Membership
Unfair Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitizenOfDreams View Post
And it wasn't his pants either.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:38   #27
Jud325

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panglоss View Post
Doesn't really matter. He still legally had possession of the firearm at the time, which he was not authorized for.
Constuctive possession is not cut and dry.
Jud325 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:57   #28
Panglоss
I am the NRA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jud325 View Post
Constuctive possession is not cut and dry.
Sure, if one has the cash to hire a good attorney.

The key factor here is whether or not the repo guy knew/suspected that a gun was in the car.
Panglоss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:59   #29
Jud325

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panglоss View Post
Sure, if one has the cash to hire a good attorney.

The key factor here is whether or not the repo guy knew/suspected that a gun was in the car.
The public defender kicked the ADA's ass in the case that I sat on as jury foreman.

Last edited by Jud325; 10-12-2012 at 12:00..
Jud325 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 14:20   #30
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dac1204 View Post
I call BS. The guy would have called it in to the police to alert them in case the RO called to report it stolen. That is standard procedure. It is legal to have a gun anywhere in your car in Georgia (although not for him since he is convicted). This was the ROs' gun and not his and like others have mentioned repo guys do not inventory the vehicle until the get it back to there not where its secure.

Even if the guy did not call it in, he still would have repo orders from the the lender. So therefore he did not steal the car and was unaware of its contents.

This will go nowhere. It is becoming widely accepted everywhere to get a second key from the lender. No damage from a tow truck, get in and get out, and less confrontation from ROs'.

Why would a prosecutor care about emails from some joe smo. The two cases would be totally unrelated. Did you file a police report against him when he made the threats? Did anyone else file one?
I call BS also. Something smells.
Old 10-12-2012, 15:26   #31
countrygun

Having been on the Gran Jury in my County and having looked a a lot of cases from what I see so far, if the DA came at us with

He is a convicted felon

He was gainfully employed in the legal repossesion of vehicles for their owners (the finance company)

He isn't supposed to be in possession of a firearm

There was a firearm in the car, that he was legally repossessing, THAT WE CAN'T tie directly to him.

We want to nail him on the technicality because he had temporary custody of a vehicle, in the course of his job, and there was something he was not supposed to have possession of, in the car and we have no proof he was aware it was there (and therefore we can't prove "constructive possession")

We would have laughed our arses off.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 18:24   #32
A6Gator

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuse View Post
Oh well, don't worry. If he goes to jail I'm sure she'll find someone else to beat the snot out her.
There's a lid for every pot...
Old 10-12-2012, 18:40   #33
Fragman

So what if someone repossesses a car that had drugs in it? Would THEY be guilty?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Fragman; 10-12-2012 at 18:54..
Fragman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 19:58   #34
Bruce M

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitizenOfDreams View Post
And it wasn't his pants either.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 20:30   #35
countrygun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fragman View Post
So what if someone repossesses a car that had drugs in it? Would THEY be guilty?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Even simpler,

suppose the same guy worked at a service station and had to drive a customer's car on the grease rack and the customer left a gun in the glove compartment
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 20:38   #36
janice6
Platinum Membership
NRA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torontogunguy View Post
Mens Rea. A guilty mindset. Here we have about as grey an area for charging our friend as possible.

One must have a guilty mind in order to be charged with a felony I believe. You must be doing something that you realize will get you into trouble. The question begged is then "Would in the repo of a vehicle, one expect there to be a hidden firearm?". The answer is grey... it is a definite possibility but missing mens rea.

However, there is also the matter of it being a felony for a convicted felon, having served their time or otherwise, being in possession of a firearm of any kind. That felony is not negated by the felon having served their time - only by the felon receiving a pardon.

I believe that this is going to cost money and court time but will our friend find the charge sticking in the end (pardon the pun)? Hard to say what a Grand Jury will do in the best of times. Ditto before a jury of his peers.... my guess will be that if it comes to sitting before a jury of his peers they will recognize the absence of mens rea, intent, a guilty mind, etc., and the charge will be tossed.

Heck, as implausible as it may seem, anyone can walk into a used car lot, buy a car, only to find out 3 years down the road that the prior owner was a slime and had a .45 hidden in the dash or upholstery somewhere. Is one expected to inspect the vehicle meticulously before purchase? Before repo? What is reasonably expected?

If we think about this charge with a clear mind and any knowledge of the law (including "ignorance is no excuse. Sic."), I think we all come to the conclusion that this charge at some point is going to be tossed.

Knowing the ultimate disposition one would hope that a properly instructed Grand Jury would return "no true bill" and save everyone a lot of grief, time and money.

The requirement for Grand Jury indictment stating that there are sufficient grounds and facts to proceed is a must. It is, in fact, guaranteed by the Bill of Rights (5th. Amendment).

Comments?

Many many years ago, my father bought a used car. After taking it home he found a .22 Winchester rifle under the back seat. He gave it to me and I recently gave it to my son.

It happens.

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

Earp: Not everyone who knows you hates you.
DOC: I know it ain't always easy bein' my friend....but I'll BE THERE when you need me.
janice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 20:49   #37
ChuteTheMall
HildabeastHater

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygun View Post

He was gainfully employed in the legal repossesion of vehicles for their owners (the finance company)
I'm still under the impression that he was not actually employed by the finance company, that he was just riding shotgun off the books with his friend, in an unofficial capacity, and that they sometimes carried guns illegally.
I don't believe he was licensed, bonded, and insured.

Just an ex-con riding along for cash under the table, usually illegally packing heat, and when he got busted he claimed the gun wasn't his.

If the car's owner admitted to owning the gun, then the gun possession charges could be dropped. Unless his fingerprints were all over it, fondling it, waving it around, knocking over bodegas, etc.

Hey man, this isn't even my joint, some guy just passed it to me and he took off.

Last edited by ChuteTheMall; 10-12-2012 at 20:52..
ChuteTheMall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:38   #38
Torontogunguy

I would find it strange for the car owner to admit that it was his own gun if the gun was not legally owned and we don't know this either way. It is, of course, possible that the convicted felon was in possession of the gun with intent and knowledge of same, but we don't know THAT. And I would find it strange for the gun to be dusted for prints in any event as that just isn't done excepting in the cases of the commission of a major felony where the gun came into play. So doubt we know that either.

What we have here is half a story and at the best of times a half of a story equals only half of a story and nothing to make any judgements or suppositions on. That is for the legal system to do.

Is there an easy way out? It is called a plea bargain, or rolling over, or ?.........

In any event, as a convicted felon, I think I would want to be involved in something less 'risky' that repo's if I were looking to clean up my act. Change the crowd you are hanging around with, etc.
Torontogunguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:48   #39
Torontogunguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygun View Post
Having been on the Gran Jury in my County and having looked a a lot of cases from what I see so far, if the DA came at us with

He is a convicted felon

He isn't supposed to be in possession of a firearm

There was a firearm in the car, that he was legally repossessing, THAT WE CAN'T tie directly to him.

We want to nail him on the technicality because he had temporary custody of a vehicle, in the course of his job, and there was something he was not supposed to have possession of, in the car and we have no proof he was aware it was there (and therefore we can't prove "constructive possession")

We would have laughed our arses off.
My point exactly. Thank you.
Torontogunguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 20:29   #40
NEOH212
Diesel Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWBlue View Post
Who's finger prints are on the gun?

If it is just the cars previous possessor, then I think this will sort its self out in a jury trial.
If his finger prints are on the gun and the cars previous possessor deny's it is his, I would tent to think the scubbag brought the gun with him.

I will also say that I have a bias against people with criminal backgrounds. I always assume they are lying.
That's it! If it wasn't his gun his prints won't be on it. Unless he was wearing gloves.

Either way, his prints not being on it may carry a little more weight in court.