Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-17-2012, 15:36   #1
Resqu2

Hey IMac owners, check here to see if you qualify for a new HDD from Apple

Apple has determined that certain Seagate 1TB hard drives used in 21.5-inch and 27-inch iMac systems may fail. These systems were sold between October 2009 and July 2011.

Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider (AASP) will replace affected hard drives free of charge.

http://www.apple.com/support/imac-harddrive/

Mine qualifies but it's working great, I'm on the fence about replacing since I'm running Parallels and have a few Windows programs on my computer that will be time consuming to redo but I guess a HDD crash would be worse.
Resqu2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 16:54   #2
sputnik767

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resqu2 View Post
Apple has determined that certain Seagate 1TB hard drives used in 21.5-inch and 27-inch iMac systems may fail. These systems were sold between October 2009 and July 2011.

Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider (AASP) will replace affected hard drives free of charge.

Mine qualifies but it's working great, I'm on the fence about replacing since I'm running Parallels and have a few Windows programs on my computer that will be time consuming to redo but I guess a HDD crash would be worse.
Clone the HD first and store the image on an external drive, and when you get your system back, clone it back to the new hard drive. I believe Time Machine will do it, otherwise I think there are a few free utilities that you can use. It will take you probably 30 mins to return you system to the same condition as it was before you swapped the drives.

BTW, I applaud Apple for replacing hard drives on computers that are as old as 3 years. You really don't see that kind of customer service much anymore.

Last edited by sputnik767; 10-17-2012 at 16:56..
sputnik767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 17:08   #3
Jay9928
BUBBA ARMY

Had mine since June 2011. NO issues whatsoever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keoking View Post
It will be weeks before the general population discovers that you can't wipe your ass with a laptop.
Jay9928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 17:30   #4
Ruggles

Been using Apples since 1986 (Apple IIc baby!) until right now. Desktops and laptops, only issue I ever had was a bad logic board on a MacBook, replaced under warranty at CompUSA in less than 72 hours no charge.

They make great stuff IMO.

A few of them, all still work

MacBook running OS 10.4 (the one with the new logic board)

The Okie Corral

Clamshell iBook running OS 9.2 - In Tangerine color, back when Apple was BOLD! I kinda miss OS 9, it has great memories...

The Okie Corral

Macbook Pro running OX 10.6

The Okie Corral

I still have 3 desktops as well, eMac, iMac and Mac Mini....plus 3 iPads, 5 iPhones and a couple of iPods in the house. Not sure why I am keeping them but what else am I gonna do with them. I really wish I would have kept my IIc :(

Last edited by Ruggles; 10-17-2012 at 17:31..
Ruggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 17:40   #5
Resqu2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay9928 View Post
Had mine since June 2011. NO issues whatsoever
I'm not having any issues either but I'd hate to not let them put in a new one while it's free.
Old 10-17-2012, 17:42   #6
Resqu2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnik767 View Post
Clone the HD first and store the image on an external drive, and when you get your system back, clone it back to the new hard drive. I believe Time Machine will do it, otherwise I think there are a few free utilities that you can use. It will take you probably 30 mins to return you system to the same condition as it was before you swapped the drives.

BTW, I applaud Apple for replacing hard drives on computers that are as old as 3 years. You really don't see that kind of customer service much anymore.
Ah thanks for the idea, I have a WD drive hooked to Time machine but I haven't ever needed it so it just sits there doing it's thing. I will look into cloning the drive to it. Thanks!
Old 10-17-2012, 17:50   #7
Jay9928
BUBBA ARMY

Quote:
I'm not having any issues either but I'd hate to not let them put in a new one while it's free.
True that. Mine has been flawless (knock on wood). I have the 21 & 1/2"... I wanted the 27, but wife said that was HUGE LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keoking View Post
It will be weeks before the general population discovers that you can't wipe your ass with a laptop.
Jay9928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 17:52   #8
sputnik767

Quote:
Ah thanks for the idea, I have a WD drive hooked to Time machine but I haven't ever needed it so it just sits there doing it's thing. I will look into cloning the drive to it. Thanks!
If you already have time machine set up, just let it do it's thing. It clones the HD as far as I know. Afterward, you should be able to fully restore the Time Machine backup onto your new HD, and it should look just like the old one. You may need your OS X disk though, and do it by booting from the disk. Double-check on this though before you attempt it, but I believe I did this once when I decided to go back from Lion to Snow Leopard.
Old 10-17-2012, 18:14   #9
Resqu2

Quote:
If you already have time machine set up, just let it do it's thing. It clones the HD as far as I know. Afterward, you should be able to fully restore the Time Machine backup onto your new HD, and it should look just like the old one. You may need your OS X disk though, and do it by booting from the disk. Double-check on this though before you attempt it, but I believe I did this once when I decided to go back from Lion to Snow Leopard.
I'm trying to figure out how this will affect my bootcamp and parallels running my Windows 7, don't use it much but all my fire dept radio programs run in bootcamp and I don't want to loose all that. I'm not really worried about the OSX side, just windows. I'm wondering if a true clone program will take care of all this? Got some reading to do I guess
Old 10-17-2012, 18:45   #10
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
It's not a true clone (bootable) it does bu the files unless something has changed

Carbon copy cloner would be ideal here but tm will do fine too.
certifiedfunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 18:47   #11
mikeflys1
Pastafarian

They'll recall 3 year old computers to replace the hard drive but when I tried to exchange a broken 3 week old ipod nano they told me to get ****ed because I "used it running and the sweat water-damaged it."
mikeflys1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 19:03   #12
Bushflyr
ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ

Woo-Hoo! free drive for me. And more importantly, they can go in and vacuum out all the dust bunnies while they're at it.

That which does not kill you has made a tactical error. --Tayler
Bushflyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 19:08   #13
sputnik767

Quote:
I'm trying to figure out how this will affect my bootcamp and parallels running my Windows 7, don't use it much but all my fire dept radio programs run in bootcamp and I don't want to loose all that. I'm not really worried about the OSX side, just windows. I'm wondering if a true clone program will take care of all this? Got some reading to do I guess
A true clone program does exactly that, it clones the drive bit by bit. When you restore an image, it will look and perform exactly like the original.
Old 10-17-2012, 19:10   #14
Resqu2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushflyr View Post
Woo-Hoo! free drive for me. And more importantly, they can go in and vacuum out all the dust bunnies while they're at it.
You gonna let an Apple store do it or a service center? I'm a little over 2 hours from an Apple store but 20 mins from an authorized service center.
Old 10-17-2012, 19:17   #15
Resqu2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeflys1 View Post
They'll recall 3 year old computers to replace the hard drive but when I tried to exchange a broken 3 week old ipod nano they told me to get ****ed because I "used it running and the sweat water-damaged it."
If you didn't get it at Apple I'd return it to where ever you got it, most stores have a 30 day return
Old 10-17-2012, 19:18   #16
Resqu2

Quote:
A true clone program does exactly that, it clones the drive bit by bit. When you restore an image, it will look and perform exactly like the original.
Thanks, I know what il be doing this weekend now.
Old 10-17-2012, 21:17   #17
mikeflys1
Pastafarian

Quote:
If you didn't get it at Apple I'd return it to where ever you got it, most stores have a 30 day return
Walmart and they had a 15 day return window so they told me I had to do it through Apple.

Made me want to punt a receipt-checker.
mikeflys1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 21:37   #18
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeflys1 View Post
I ruined 3 like that. Buy a waterproof iPod shuffle and be done.
certifiedfunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 22:00   #19
Deanster
CLM Number 250
Cheese?

Thanks for flagging this - hadn't noticed it before, and my 27" 2011 iMac qualifies... I wonder if I can have them install an SSD also while they have it open.

Your behavior angers God and/or the Constitution. Just sayin'.

I only seem liberal because I believe hurricanes are caused by low barometric pressure, and not gay marriage.
Deanster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 15:27   #20
sputnik767

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanster View Post
Thanks for flagging this - hadn't noticed it before, and my 27" 2011 iMac qualifies... I wonder if I can have them install an SSD also while they have it open.
You're better off buying an SSD from newegg or Amazon and setting it up yourself. You'll save quite a bit of money by not getting the overpriced Apple (Samsung?) SSD and get a much better performing SSD in the process. Keep the OS and applications on the SSD and the data/music/videos/etc on the regular HD. This is the setup I'm running on both of my desktop PCs. Plus, if you do it yourself, you may actually learn a thing or two about how to repair computers, and not have to rely on the Apple store. For the record, it's very easy. I swapped an aftermarket SSD into my Macbook Pro a little over a year ago. Huge difference in performance. It's performance was nothing special before the swap, certainly nothing that would make me choose a mac vs a pc laptop. But UNIX seems to perform better with the SSD than Windows.

Last edited by sputnik767; 10-18-2012 at 15:29..
Old 10-18-2012, 16:07   #21
aircarver
Silver Membership
Ride Continues

Had two Seagate 1 Tb drives fail within a few months. I won't be using any Seagates in the foreseeable future ...

They'd created a vast, permanently unemployed underclass, dependent upon the Republic's stupendous welfare machine for its very existence, and in so doing, they'd sown the seeds of their own destruction. No one could place two-thirds of a world's population on the Dole and keep them there forever without the entire system crashing . . . but how in hell did one get them off the Dole? -David Weber, Flag in Exile
aircarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 17:05   #22
sputnik767

Quote:
Originally Posted by aircarver View Post
Had two Seagate 1 Tb drives fail within a few months. I won't be using any Seagates in the foreseeable future ...

I've seen the same things said about Western Digital, Hitachi, Maxtor, etc. All brands have had a bad batch at one point. I've actually used most brands of hard drives at one point or another (I buy the brand with the features I need that's on sale at the time), and have never had a failure. And Seagate was one of them.
Old 10-18-2012, 17:11   #23
fwm

Quote:

My 21.5 iMac has had 4 motherboards, and the 4th one died a month ago. I will NOT replace it again. Bought a new 27" HP with windows 7. BIG problem now is my wife's iPad and iPod will not connect with iTunes because it's not the computer the Apple store recognizes as hers

ETA: I'm running my home web site on a 1996 home built machine and RedHat. Never been down except during power outages. Writing this on a 2002 machine and Win 2000. Replaced one hard drive on it. Just tossed my 1996, running Win 97 as it finally quite and none of the parts are still available. Just don't see Apple products as being cost effective anymore.

Last edited by fwm; 10-18-2012 at 17:17..
fwm is offline   Reply With Quote