Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-18-2012, 02:39   #1
frizz

My cat is a damned thief!

Anyone have a thieving cat? She is a sweet and loving cat, but she takes anything that looks like prey/a toy is it isn't secured.

Her favorite is socks and gloves. This is really annoying because I have gloves with open fingertips that I use when I'm on a computer in a chilly room. I need them to allow me to type while keeping my hands warm so that I don't get tendonitis in my hands.

I love my cats and dogs, but they can be pains.
frizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 03:40   #2
cgwahl
Sheriffs a near

Had a dog that would steal stuff. From my moms purse, mostly. Would have to check her bed every few days and would find cash, credit cards, lipstick and once even found the TV remote.

Pawsitively Stylish Mobile Pet Salon (Southern California)

Last edited by cgwahl; 10-18-2012 at 03:44..
cgwahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 03:46   #3
WS Monk

A dearly departed cat, Peach, stole my daughter's retainer. We found it in a treasure stash behind my desk.

A current cat, Bender, will take anything he can find that's moveable.
WS Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 05:45   #4
Geeorge
Sarcasm Inc.

My two cats never steal anything,

everything I own is their's and they do with it as they please

Okie is one KooL Cat

Last edited by Geeorge; 10-18-2012 at 05:45..
Geeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 05:50   #5
eruby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeorge View Post
My two cats never steal anything,

everything I own is their's and they do with it as they please
This exactly.
eruby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:01   #6
Bren
NRA Life Member

My cat doesn't steal anything except my water. I usually ahve a big glass of water when I'm watching TV and he likes to drink out of my water glass when I'm not watching. Then he likes to flip it over on the remote.

Interesting cat thing last night - we were walking our 2 huskies down town when a cat started walking along beside me on top of a wall. As we went toward our car, he wouldn't stop following us. I figured he'd get hit by a car, so I picked him up and took him back, but he wouldn't let me get away. He seemd to love me, climbed up on my shoulder, followed me around, let me carry him, etc., but I couldn't find an owner and he didn't have an ID tag. I finally had to drop him over the wall and run for the car to keep him from following me into the street - I'm not taking in any more stray cats.
Old 10-18-2012, 06:05   #7
gwalchmai
Lucky Member

We have a new kitten, Katy, who sees everything in the world as a toy. She constantly terrorizes our two older (male) cats. Our 17 year old cat, Lightning, finds her particularly objectionable, but she's not afraid of him at all and attacks him all the time.

Last night a neighborhood tomcat appeared on our front stoop and Lightning saw him through the sidelight. Lightning setup a ferocious "deep woods bobcat scream" at the interloper and Katy ran like a batouttableep into the den and hid under my chair. I picked her up and she just trembled in my lap. It took her two hours before she would go anywhere near Lightning and then she was on her best behavior around him. I doubt it will last...
gwalchmai is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:11   #8
ithaca_deerslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwalchmai View Post
We have a new kitten, Katy, who sees everything in the world as a toy. She constantly terrorizes our two older (male) cats. Our 17 year old cat, Lightning, finds her particularly objectionable, but she's not afraid of him at all and attacks him all the time.

Last night a neighborhood tomcat appeared on our front stoop and Lightning saw him through the sidelight. Lightning setup a ferocious "deep woods bobcat scream" at the interloper and Katy ran like a batouttableep into the den and hid under my chair. I picked her up and she just trembled in my lap. It took her two hours before she would go anywhere near Lightning and then she was on her best behavior around him. I doubt it will last...
Now I know what you are dressing up as for Halloween. A bobcat
ithaca_deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:43   #9
TheExplorer

My cat only does this when I play with the dogs. Then she will take all her anger out on the Mrs. antique wicker basket. Not a good thing.
TheExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:49   #10
Chuck66
Traveling Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
My cat doesn't steal anything except my water. I usually ahve a big glass of water when I'm watching TV and he likes to drink out of my water glass when I'm not watching. Then he likes to flip it over on the remote.
When my cat was a kitten, he loved to push drinks off of tables. If you left a glass or bottle on the table, he'd watch for you to leave the room and then jump on the table, and use one paw in a pulling motion to drag the drink to the edge of the table until it fell. It was funny as long as it was a bottle with a lid. Not so much if open top. Thankfully he grew out of it. They can be funny little critters.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Freemason's Lodge #66

Behold! How swiftly the sands run, and how rapidly our lives are drawing to a close.
Chuck66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:55   #11
Dr. Leaky
Know-It-All

We used to have a cat we called the chicken monster. Anything to do with chicken was at risk. Got home from work one day to find the whole frozen chicken we had left on the counter to thaw was missing. We finally found it behind the couch, a little scratched up but mostly intact. This was probably a 4-pound chicken and she couldn't have weighed more than 10 herself.
Old 10-18-2012, 06:56   #12
Bullwinkle J Moose
Quick! Duck!

I had a Siamese, who had separation (from her last litter) anxiety and in the wee hours of night would pick up anything kitten size and walk around the house crying. In the morning, we would find all her loot somewhere with her asleep beside it. She really liked my wallet and dirty socks. I never found any strange charges on my credit cards though.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:45   #13
M&P15T
Beard One

Yes, my current cat Billy is such a thief.

Everything he steals ends-up under the couch, so I know where to look. When I used to smoke, and I wanted a lighter, I just lifted the couch up with one hand a grabbed a lighter with the other (very light couch).

I've totally quit fighting the situation. I know where anything that is missing will end up, so it's no big deal.

Last edited by M&P15T; 10-18-2012 at 08:07..
M&P15T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:03   #14
gwalchmai
Lucky Member

We once lived with a cat named Stinker who stole my GF's roommates' necklaces and hid them. He would also steal my watch and hide it. I had 30 seconds at 6AM every morning when the alarm would go off to find it.
gwalchmai is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:09   #15
Dalton Wayne
CLM Number 239
Epic mustache

Send a message via MSN to Dalton Wayne Send a message via Skype™ to Dalton Wayne
A cat burgler
As Stephen F. Roberts so famously said speaking with a Christian apologist "I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
Dalton Wayne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:10   #16
Foxterriermom

My cat is so boring. All she does is eat, sleep and poop. Although I am fond of her, she doesn't have much personality at all.
Foxterriermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 16:30   #17
MrsKitty

Several of our cats loves shiny stuff...like my jewelry. When the oldest was a kitten I finally bought an armoire to put my necklaces in to keep her from stealing them. They are constantly stealing my rings when I am mailling but they only go for the Argentenium/sterling or bright aluminum. No interest in brass, bronze, copper, stainless niobium, annodized metals.

Somewhere there is a one hell of a Nerf bullet stash in this house from the cats stealing them. I keep expecting to find it someday but I haven't yet. One of the cats loves to steal lids off bottled drinks.
Old 10-18-2012, 16:46   #18
cgwahl
Sheriffs a near

Oh yeah...also had a cat who loved straws. If you had a cup or glass with one and you looked away. When you looked back, it would be gone because she took it.

At the time, I had a cup of straws and more often than not, you would grab a straw with tooth holes in it.

You could buy her all the toys that existed, but she was happiest with a plastic straw.

Pawsitively Stylish Mobile Pet Salon (Southern California)
cgwahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 16:52   #19
TeeJay37

Bren, I got the mental image:
"Cat frag, out!"
*run!!
TeeJay37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 14:42   #20
Nickotym
BillofNeeds?NO!

We have a fox that lives by our yard who loves to steal shoes. My son lost a shoe a week ago and we found it in the yard. 2 nights ago, he left both shoes out and we found one, but the other is still lost. I think it is in the fox den. maybe he will learn not to leave his favorite shoes outside.
August 12, 1974
Nickotym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 18:00   #21
happy seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by frizz View Post
Anyone have a thieving cat? She is a sweet and loving cat, but she takes anything that looks like prey/a toy is it isn't secured.

Her favorite is socks and gloves. This is really annoying because I have gloves with open fingertips that I use when I'm on a computer in a chilly room. I need them to allow me to type while keeping my hands warm so that I don't get tendonitis in my hands.

I love my cats and dogs, but they can be pains.
Holy crow!

A cat thread where you admit you wear driving gloves to type on your computer. The pussification of America is still thriving!

"Off to the Salt Mine, My Friend"
happy seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 22:32   #22
G29Reload
Tread Lightly

Just be thankful kitty's not spinning his tires in the dirt in the potted plant in the living room.

Or turning the roll of TP in the bathroom into a highspeed dynamometer.

I've had both that happen. With the plant all I got was the "Nope, wasn't me, what are you looking at?" look, and the TP stunt, well she just thought it was funny.

Then again that was the same one sitting on the edge of the bed when I got out of the shower and coming in to get dressed saw something a-dangle and took a swipe at it, claws extended.
Old 10-19-2012, 22:35   #23
frizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy seal View Post
Holy crow!

A cat thread where you admit you wear driving gloves to type on your computer. The pussification of America is still thriving!

Driving gloves? Regardless, what can I say? My hands get cold in the winter.

Besides, I have dogs, too. But.... Depending on the cat, they are either indifferent or afraid, so that may nix that. It is funny to see a 70lb Doberman who is afraid of a 7lb cat.
Old 10-19-2012, 22:38   #24
frizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by G29Reload View Post
Just be thankful kitty's not spinning his tires in the dirt in the potted plant in the living room.

Or turning the roll of TP in the bathroom into a highspeed dynamometer.

I've had both that happen. With the plant all I got was the "Nope, wasn't me, what are you looking at?" look, and the TP stunt, well she just thought it was funny.

Then again that was the same one sitting on the edge of the bed when I got out of the shower and coming in to get dressed saw something a-dangle and took a swipe at it, claws extended.
I don't have plants in the house because of that, and for the problem with harmful plants.

I was in the sack with my wife, and "Boris" saw something arise under the sheet, and pounced on it!

I bled all over the sheets.
Old 10-19-2012, 23:11   #25
Blast
'nuff said