Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-20-2012, 06:23   #1
gunowner1

New To Reloading 10mm

After buying my first 10mm ( G29SF) I am thinking of getting a setup to start reloading. Someone here mentioned that for the cost of a conversion barrel I could roll my own 10mm rounds. There is a place an hour north of me called Space Coast Bullets. I am going to call them on Monday to see if I can meet with someone on Tuesday to look into a starter set up. If I wanted to start doing this what type of set up should I be looking for? I know opinions will vary. I am not looking to reload anything but pistol calibers at this time.
gunowner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 08:44   #2
F106 Fan

As always, there can be no decent recommendation without knowing how much volume.

At the bottom end, a single stage press, dies and a scale (a good scale) will probably cost about $200 and be capable of loading about 50 rounds per hour. For pistol loading, a single stage press is too grim to contemplate.

Next, a Lee Classic Turret with a decent scale will come in around $300 and be capable of loading 250 rounds per hour.

The Dillon 550B is next up and for about $560 including a decent scale, you can load about 500 rounds per hour.

And it goes up from there.

Read the stickies at the top of the forum. Everything is spelled out.

RIchard
Old 10-20-2012, 08:58   #3
gunowner1

Thank you Richard.I apologize for asking a question without going into more detail. I will read the stickies. Once again......sorry.
Old 10-20-2012, 09:11   #4
F106 Fan

There is a specialized 10mm Reloading forum here on Glock Talk:

http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=67

There's nothing unique about 10mm versus any other cartridge in terms of equipment or procedures but that forum concentrates on only 10mm so it looks like they have a lot of useful info.

Richard
Old 10-20-2012, 13:59   #5
Taterhead
Counting Beans

Quote:
Originally Posted by F106 Fan View Post
There is a specialized 10mm Reloading forum here on Glock Talk:

http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=67

There's nothing unique about 10mm versus any other cartridge in terms of equipment or procedures but that forum concentrates on only 10mm so it looks like they have a lot of useful info.

Richard
Good advice Richard. There is a lot of good information on that forum specifically related to 10mm auto. The 10mm is my personal favorite pistol cartridge and I have spent a lot of time there myself.

A word of caution for new 10mm loaders: The 10mm auto is a high performance pistol cartridge, and a lot of loaders on the GT 10mm loading are drawn to maxing out the 10mm. Newbies should be aware that a lot of the data posted there exeeds book data by a ways -- especially loads with Longshot and 800-X powders. I don't intend to harsh anyone, but there are frankly some questionable loading practices discussed there.

As with any internet source, all load data should be verified with several loading manuals with loads worked up carefully.

gunowner1, great move to loading for the 10mm. If there ever was a cartridge that presents a cost-benefit favorability, the 10mm is it. Get a couple of loading manuals before you purchase any equipment, then get familiar with the stickies above. That will give you a great idea about what you'll end purchasing for your loading bench.

Last edited by Taterhead; 10-20-2012 at 14:03..
Taterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 14:08   #6
F106 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taterhead View Post
Good advice Richard. There is a lot of good information on that forum specifically related to 10mm auto. The 10mm is my personal favorite pistol cartridge and I have spent a lot of time there myself.

A word of caution for new 10mm loaders: The 10mm auto is a high performance pistol cartridge, and a lot of the discussion on the GT 10mm loading page is related to maxing out the 10mm. Newbies should be aware that a lot of the data posted there exeeds book data by a ways -- especially loads with Longshot and 800-X powders. I don't intend to harsh anyone, but there are frankly some questionable loading practices discussed there.
I had never spent any time of the 10mm forum because I don't load that cartridge. So, I provided the link...

Then I went over and took a closer look. As you point out, many folks are trying to load 10mm +P+++++.

I remember that type of reloading in the early '80s where folks were making fire breathing loads for .357 Mag and .44 Mag.

All of my loads, in every caliber, are middle-of-the-road or maybe just a bit hotter. They are, in every case, within published data. I just don't do hot loads!

In retrospect, I think this is a better forum for the beginning reloader. Many of the people here have a TON of experience and most don't want anything to do with super hot loads. Or at least they don't want to talk about them.

This is a much safer place to hang out!

Richard

Last edited by F106 Fan; 10-20-2012 at 14:11..
F106 Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 20:23   #7
gunowner1

Thank you gentleman. I will stick with the Reloading Forum. I will start at minimum loads and work up from there. I am an organized,cautious person by nature and have no desire to kaboom my G29.
Old 10-21-2012, 08:37   #8
shotgunred
reloading nut

You really can't get a reloading setup for the cost of a conversion barrel. Even a Lee classic turret is more than that. However you can reload 10mm for $120 or less a thousand. If you are willing to use black bullets you can get it down to a tiny bit under a $100 a Thousand.

With that savings it will not take long for you to recoup the cost of a really nice reloading setup. When I bought my Dillon 550 setup it payed for itself in 5 months shooting 40sw.
and motivated by pride and vanity.
shotgunred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:10   #9
Kwesi

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunred View Post
However you can reload 10mm for $120 or less a thousand.
Would you mind detailing how you reload for 12 cents a round? The cheapest FMJ bullets I've found are from Precision Delta at 12.2 cents (180gr). Thanks.
Kwesi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:30   #10
F106 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwesi View Post
Would you mind detailing how you reload for 12 cents a round? The cheapest FMJ bullets I've found are from Precision Delta at 12.2 cents (180gr). Thanks.
At Dillon, 10mm 180 gr LEAD bullets are $87/1000 plus shipping. No doubt there is someplace marginally cheaper. Maybe the bullets could be had for $87 shipping included.

Then $20/1000 for Tula primers and $10/1000 for powder and there you are: $117/1000. There is still shipping and HazMat on the primers and powder.

But that's using lead bullets. I don't see how you can get below $152/1000 using jacketed bullets.

Richard
Old 10-21-2012, 10:36   #11
shotgunred
reloading nut

180 grain molly bullets bought in bulk $55 a K
My last order of SPP $17.00 a K (this year)
Powder $16
total $88
Shipping has-mat etc lets round it up to $100 a K.
and motivated by pride and vanity.
shotgunred is offline   Reply With Quote