GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2012, 09:16   #1
BamaTrooper
Almost Done
 
BamaTrooper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: football heaven
Posts: 11,783
Send a message via Yahoo to BamaTrooper
Question on slide mounted red dots.

I had a Burris Fast Fire mounted in the rear sight dove tail on my 17c, but found it moved too much for my liking.

My current set up is a Carver mount and a Cmore. I appreciate the weight but it seems that the height difference between my iron sights and the dot are causing me a problem; so much so that I rarely shoot the dot gun in unlimited.

I am contemplating a smaller sight milled into the slide so that it rides lower, basically cowitnessing with my iron sights (or closely cowitnessing). Am I thinking correctly?
__________________
"Some people learn by words, some people learn by consequences, some people can't learn." CNS
BamaTrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:43   #2
SARDG
Senior Member
 
SARDG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Florida's Left Coast
Posts: 7,662
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaTrooper View Post
I had a Burris Fast Fire mounted in the rear sight dove tail on my 17c, but found it moved too much for my liking.

My current set up is a Carver mount and a Cmore. I appreciate the weight but it seems that the height difference between my iron sights and the dot are causing me a problem; so much so that I rarely shoot the dot gun in unlimited.

I am contemplating a smaller sight milled into the slide so that it rides lower, basically cowitnessing with my iron sights (or closely cowitnessing). Am I thinking correctly?
You saw mine last night - wasn't thinking or you could have shot it this weekend. Won't actually cowitness of course, as the dot takes the place of the rear site, and the front sight is removed - but does bring the dot down close to the bore axis.

I really like that (Doctor sight and milled slide) setup on my 34 UNL, but do have a C-More Railway mounted on top of a MKIII that I also do very well with.

If you're not in a hurry, shoot mine in Orlando (uh, assuming you are coming to Orlando.)
SARDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:57   #3
S.Kargoh
Senior Member
 
S.Kargoh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: WA
Posts: 446
Some of them rely on suppressor height sights to cowitness
If I understand correctly.
GSSF
S.Kargoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:00   #4
S.Kargoh
Senior Member
 
S.Kargoh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: WA
Posts: 446
GSSF
S.Kargoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 13:20   #5
PM720
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by SARDG View Post
You saw mine last night - wasn't thinking or you could have shot it this weekend. Won't actually cowitness of course, as the dot takes the place of the rear site, and the front sight is removed - but does bring the dot down close to the bore axis.

I really like that (Doctor sight and milled slide) setup on my 34 UNL, but do have a C-More Railway mounted on top of a MKIII that I also do very well with.

If you're not in a hurry, shoot mine in Orlando (uh, assuming you are coming to Orlando.)
So, did it stay on all weekend?

Scott
PM720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 13:47   #6
mike g35
Senior Member
 
mike g35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Charleston W.V.
Posts: 2,255
Having a moving dot on a slide is going to slow you down. I'd stick with the stable Carver mount and practice finding the dot. However that co-witness sight setup is pretty cool.


Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
__________________
Firearms sales rep for ASR / Modern Firearms
mike g35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 16:52   #7
unclebob
Senior Member
 
unclebob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Mary Esther FL
Posts: 6,952
GSSF

No more jams because of the brass catching up under the mount or C-More. Donít have the extra weight on the slide.
Wish you would have said something at the match. You could have tried all kinds of U/L guns
__________________
Team Carver Custom
NRA Certified Instructor
NRA Benefactor Life Member
GSSF Life Member
___________________________________________
unclebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 18:05   #8
njl
Senior Member
 
njl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: :noitacoL
Posts: 9,593
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Kargoh View Post
GSSF

That front sight is impressive.
__________________
what guns?
Lifetime GSSF & NRA.
njl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 22:05   #9
SARDG
Senior Member
 
SARDG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Florida's Left Coast
Posts: 7,662
Quote:
Originally Posted by PM720 View Post
So, did it stay on all weekend?

Scott
It wasn't falling off... Oh, you mean the dot itself.

I removed the sight and found electrical tape insulating the sight from the slide - which isn't necessary. I cleaned the sticky tape stuff off under the sight and reinstalled it. Checked the sight at a steel practice and brought it to Mobile. No problems since the re-install, including this weekend. Come on back and use it again.
SARDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 13:18   #10
PM720
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by SARDG View Post
It wasn't falling off... Oh, you mean the dot itself.

I removed the sight and found electrical tape insulating the sight from the slide - which isn't necessary. I cleaned the sticky tape stuff off under the sight and reinstalled it. Checked the sight at a steel practice and brought it to Mobile. No problems since the re-install, including this weekend. Come on back and use it again.
Sure, NOW you find the problem!!

Scott
PM720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 14:03   #11
SARDG
Senior Member
 
SARDG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Florida's Left Coast
Posts: 7,662
Quote:
Originally Posted by PM720 View Post
Sure, NOW you find the problem!!

Scott
More or less - but it's not like it found a lot of A-Bs on those D-1s.
SARDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 15:40   #12
emtjr928
Senior Member
 
emtjr928's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: McDonough, Ga.
Posts: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by SARDG View Post
More or less - but it's not like it found a lot of A-Bs on those D-1s.
You wern't chewing gum!!!

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
__________________
Certified Glock Armorer, GSSF Lifetime, NRA Life Member,NRA-RSO, NROI-RO, USPSA
emtjr928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 17:44   #13
PM720
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by SARDG View Post
More or less - but it's not like it found a lot of A-Bs on those D-1s.
Its all good. It gave me a chance to practice my point shooting!

Scott
PM720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 18:23   #14
SARDG
Senior Member
 
SARDG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Florida's Left Coast
Posts: 7,662
Quote:
Originally Posted by emtjr928 View Post
You wern't chewing gum!!!
No kidding. I am back to vigorous gum-chewing while shooting.
SARDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:29   #15
Cole125
Silver Membership
Senior Member
 
Cole125's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Far West, USA
Posts: 7,593
In my opinion the only way to mount a red dot on a pistol is getting the slide milled, and back up iron sights installed. With that setup you bring the pistol up and look for the front sight as usual and you can pick up the dot right away. Trijicon RMRs are the only way to go as well.

Mark at L&M gun works does great work, send him your slide to mill and you'll has it back in a week. He did a good job on my G19.

GSSF
Cole125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 22:27   #16
igorts
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: CA
Posts: 240
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372912021.625262.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	234349
mine was done by LWD
__________________
Beretta 92FS INOX Brigadier
Tikkas T3 30.06 / .223 varmint
Sig Trailside 6" / Ultimate Ruger10/22
S&W TRR8
Glock 29SF G20SF-L G34 G19
igorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 06:04   #17
Melissa5
Senior Member
 
Melissa5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: NE Georgia
Posts: 1,530
Here's mine that Mark at L&M did. I like it, but I still like the Carver mount and CMore better.

GSSF
__________________
John 3:16
Melissa5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 08:25   #18
Don At PC
Senior Member
 
Don At PC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1998
Location: Panama City, Florida USA
Posts: 6,742
A few years ago Red Dots Milled into the slide were not legal in GSSF. I don't see that in the rules any longer.

Don
__________________
Team Carver Custom
GSSF Life Member
Steel Challenge, USPSA
NRA Benefactor Life Member
Retired A.F. Chief 1961-1991
Don At PC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 08:28   #19
njl
Senior Member
 
njl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: :noitacoL
Posts: 9,593
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don At PC View Post
A few years ago Red Dots Milled into the slide were not legal in GSSF. I don't see that in the rules any longer.

Don
You sure?...even in unlimited (which is the only place you can use optics)? People have been doing all sorts of slide lightening milling of unlimited guns for as long as I've been involved with GSSF.
__________________
what guns?
Lifetime GSSF & NRA.
njl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:01   #20
Don At PC
Senior Member
 
Don At PC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1998
Location: Panama City, Florida USA
Posts: 6,742
This was several years ago. Remember I have been shooting GSSF for over 14 years so it could have been quite awhile ago.

Don
__________________
Team Carver Custom
GSSF Life Member
Steel Challenge, USPSA
NRA Benefactor Life Member
Retired A.F. Chief 1961-1991

Last edited by Don At PC; 07-04-2013 at 10:02..
Don At PC is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:28.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,014
289 Members
725 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,672
Aug 11, 2014 at 2:31