Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-22-2012, 14:30   #1
inthefrey
Moved on...

Italian scientist convicted FOR NOT predicting EARTHQUAKE??!

Okay so, These 6 scientists have been convicted and thrown in jail for NOT telling anyone there was going to be an earthquake...(pause for affect)

Aparently, they had mounting evidence that there was going to be one and kept quiet.
NO JOKE!
http://news.yahoo.com/italian-scient...180222699.html

Gee! I wonder if they could convict you for causing undue panic for PREDICTING an earthquake and there NOT being one?

On a lighter note, That guy that has predicted the END OF THE WORLD a few times will have no trouble winning any legal battle when this finally happens, "See! I told yo so!"

Last edited by inthefrey; 10-22-2012 at 14:30..
inthefrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 14:34   #2
The Machinist
No Compromise

Fascism is alive and well in Italy. A country filled with absolute morons.
Old 10-22-2012, 14:51   #3
frizz

I would support a law allowing for the forced immolation of the prosecution team, and anyone else who supported the conviction.
frizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 15:25   #4
acaligunner

I always laugh and think ill towards the DR's and scientist at the earthquake center that come on TV and state, 'yes we had an earthquake and more after shocks are coming'.

Well no kidding!!

Give us an 1 hour to 30 minute heads up, and then I can see keeping you on the payroll, until then I don't see why you are on the tube and getting paid.

Last edited by acaligunner; 10-22-2012 at 15:26..
acaligunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 16:19   #5
Altaris

I remember posting about this trial when it was first announced. I couldn't believe people would be dumb enough to even suggest a trail that I never paid attention to it again. I can't fathom how ignorant someone could be to actually convict people over this. IMO this is far worse and far dumber than any frivolous lawsuit I have ever seen out of the US.

Altaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 16:30   #6
RonS

Every scientist and other professional in Italy should stay home tomorrow and start looking for a job as a barrista or short order cook. I hope they have to the close the airports because no one will report the weather or do anything else that might involve that kind of risk.
Old 10-22-2012, 16:37   #7
Altaris

If CERN ever creates a black-hole that destroys the earth I am going to sue DevilDog. I clearly remember him reassuring us in several posts that it wouldn't happen.
Old 10-22-2012, 16:39   #8
inthefrey
Moved on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altaris View Post
If CERN ever creates a black-hole that destroys the earth I am going to sue DevilDog. I clearly remember him reassuring us in several posts that it wouldn't happen.
Not now! He's got both hands busy flipping coins in another GT thread to predict the weather!
inthefrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 16:55   #9
RimfireMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by acaligunner View Post
I always laugh and think ill towards the DR's and scientist at the earthquake center that come on TV and state, 'yes we had an earthquake and more after shocks are coming'.

Well no kidding!!

Give us an 1 hour to 30 minute heads up, and then I can see keeping you on the payroll, until then I don't see why you are on the tube and getting paid.
Your comments are just about as dumb as convicting the scientists in Italy.
RimfireMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 17:35   #10
Paul53
Geezer Boomer

When my dog and cat pack their bowls and favorite toys and wait at the door to be let out, I figure something's up!

Paul53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 17:38   #11
JimBianchi
CLM Number 25
Da Da

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthefrey View Post
Okay so, These 6 scientists have been convicted and thrown in jail for NOT telling anyone there was going to be an earthquake...(pause for affect)

Apparently, they had mounting evidence that there was going to be one and kept quiet.
NO JOKE!
http://news.yahoo.com/italian-scient...180222699.html

Gee! I wonder if they could convict you for causing undue panic for PREDICTING an earthquake and there NOT being one?

On a lighter note, That guy that has predicted the END OF THE WORLD a few times will have no trouble winning any legal battle when this finally happens, "See! I told yo so!"

When I first saw this trial mentioned a few weeks ago, I knew these scientist were cooked. Typically a three-judge panel, no jury, hears the case(s). They have full authority and it is not uncommon for judges to make comments to the press, even during or after arguments, before judgment is rendered. Most judges are VERY liberal and will convict or dismiss on a whim.

When we lived in Italy in the 90's a man was acquitted of rape because the judge did not believe a woman could be raped while wearing jeans. He felt because jeans were so hard to take off, the man could not have got them off of her without her help, so the sex had to be consensual. (He had already done time for rape.)

Locally I knew someone who went to trial in Italy for slander and theft of heating fuel. He missed a court day and they issued a summary judgement against him. It didn't matter that he was awaiting trial FOR THREE YEARS had already made a dozen court dates by this time, but the Air Force re-assigned him to Germany in this time.

Basically, the landlord said he stole heating fuel and did not pay, withheld his deposit as a partial-pay. He was angry and told many folks he was not guilty and that the landlord was a crook. He claims the landlord kept his entire apartment deposit (4 months rent) and tried to get him to pay additional $2K for the previous tenants heating oil, a tenet who was now out of the military and untouchable.

The Air Force said he did not have to pay, and tired to settle it, and the landlord just wanted the money and the award from trial (as much as 5x damages), no settlement.

They reassigned the guy, he was given a summery judgement by a foreign court and advised by the Air Force to never return to Italy.

I know all the details because I ended up being the last American assigned to Ghedi AB, Italy to ever rent from that landlord. He tried to get me to pay a HUGE fee for the entire unpaid bill for an apartment complex that had 8 tenets, I was only one tenet, and by law required to pay only 1/8th. The bill was past due (otters had not paid, I paid!) so he was holding my deposit ransom. I just happened to move first, so I was the one with the sticker shock.

The Air Force housing office had had it with this guy, so they put him on the BAN list immediately, as rentals expired, Americans were told to move and no American could rent any of his apartments unless this foolishness stopped and he returned my $4K deposit and let it go.

He owned a lot of apartments near Aviono with dozen of American tenets, so 24hrs before I left country he calls me to his office and hands me $4k in Lira. Banks are closed until Monday! I have a WAD of cash I can't use or exchange until I get to New York where the rate will KILL the value of my money!

I took my flight (13 people) (Army would call it a squad) to a 3-star restaurant and blew a major chunk of it that night on food and booze! I also bought every tourist-trap piece of junk I could get in my bag and still had $800 in Lira when I hit NYC. Exchanged it in the kiosk and got around $500.
SAF

The scariest words in the English language: I'm from the government and I'm here to help! President Ronald Reagan
JimBianchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 19:25   #12
acaligunner

Rim fireman wrote-

I lived thru more earthquakes than you- SON.

So I expect A center for earthquake prevention to produce results

But what would you know about that anyways :(

Now why don't you go steam a hat or chase a hog.
acaligunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 20:44   #13
SLO1911Fan

They weren't convicted for not predicting an earthquake. Even the judge and prosecutor admitted that's not possible. They were convicted of telling the residents it was unequivocally safe to go back inside during the multiple days of tremors they were having. Unfortunately for them it wasn't. Essentially they were jailed for negligence because they ignored what they knew and just tried to calm people down.
SLO1911Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 20:50   #14
Altaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO1911Fan View Post
They weren't convicted for not predicting an earthquake. Even the judge and prosecutor admitted that's not possible. They were convicted of telling the residents it was unequivocally safe to go back inside during the multiple days of tremors they were having. Unfortunately for them it wasn't. Essentially they were jailed for negligence because they ignored what they knew and just tried to calm people down.

You can't predict earthquakes!
So if they said, "there could possibly be a big one soon", then what? Suddenly reinforce all structures immediately? Stay out of all buildings indefinitely? Evacuate the country?
Old 10-22-2012, 20:53   #15
Geko45
CLM Number 135
Smartass Pilot

In other news, new enrollments in seismology programs at Italian universities drops to zero...
CavDoc: "If you have to pretend that a person with a different opinion has an opinion other than his own in order to score points in an argument, you've forfeited any points that you pretended to have."
CavDoc: "You consider yourself as non-religious, and I consider you a religious zealot."

JBnTX: "Freedom of religion doesn't mean you can worship any God, anyway you see fit or not even worship any God if you so choose. [...] Christianity should be the only religion protected under the constitution, and congress shall make no law restricting its practice."
Geko45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 20:53   #16
janice6
Platinum Membership
NRA

I can't wait to hear what they do to Weathermen.......

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

Earp: Not everyone who knows you hates you.
DOC: I know it ain't always easy bein' my friend....but I'll BE THERE when you need me.
janice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 20:58   #17
SLO1911Fan

Quote:
You can't predict earthquakes!
So if they said, "there could possibly be a big one soon", then what? Suddenly reinforce all structures immediately? Stay out of all buildings indefinitely? Evacuate the country?

Actually after two days of consistent small tremors, it IS considered a good indicator that there will be a larger earthquake. At that point assuring the public that no earthquake is coming was deemed negligent. I'm not saying I agree with it, but I'm tired of hearing people say that they were jailed for not doing the impossible. THEY WEREN'T. They were jailed for negligence in the evidence they ignored in sending people back into their homes.
SLO1911Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 21:12   #18
frizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by acaligunner View Post
Rim fireman wrote-

I lived thru more earthquakes than you- SON.

So I expect A center for earthquake prevention to produce results

But what would you know about that anyways :(

Now why don't you go steam a hat or chase a hog.
You think that earthquakes are preventable?
frizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 21:23   #19
Altaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO1911Fan View Post
Actually after two days of consistent small tremors, it IS considered a good indicator that there will be a larger earthquake. At that point assuring the public that no earthquake is coming was deemed negligent. I'm not saying I agree with it, but I'm tired of hearing people say that they were jailed for not doing the impossible. THEY WEREN'T. They were jailed for negligence in the evidence they ignored in sending people back into their homes.
How long should people stay out of their homes, and every single other structure? When is it safe to go back? Do you evacuate the whole region? Do people just camp out in the streets in tents? What is the plan?

This isn't something like a hurricane where you can see it on the map moving towards you, so you can predict with reasonable accuracy when to leave, in which direction to leave, and when to come back. Even with that, people die every year in hurricanes. There are so many variables and unknowns with earthquakes that it is just absolutely absurd to think you can blame another human for not warning you.

Last edited by Altaris; 10-22-2012 at 21:23..
Old 10-22-2012, 22:44   #20
Geko45
CLM Number 135
Smartass Pilot

Quote:
How long should people stay out of their homes, and every single other structure? When is it safe to go back? Do you evacuate the whole region? Do people just camp out in the streets in tents? What is the plan?
And what does that plan cost you in resources and lives? If people aren't going back into their houses and are living in make shift camps outdoors then how many elderly and/or infants will die because of that? In a group of 100 it may be zero, but when it's several million then there will be at least some deaths associated with the "play it safe" plan.

No, I'm with you on this, Altaris. I think some people just aren't thinking about the big picture when it comes to this sort of planning. Predicting that an earthquake is likely has a real cost in dollars and lives as well and that has to be considered against the risk of predicting in error.
CavDoc: "If you have to pretend that a person with a different opinion has an opinion other than his own in order to score points in an argument, you've forfeited any points that you pretended to have."
CavDoc: "You consider yourself as non-religious, and I consider you a religious zealot."

JBnTX: "Freedom of religion doesn't mean you can worship any God, anyway you see fit or not even worship any God if you so choose. [...] Christianity should be the only religion protected under the constitution, and congress shall make no law restricting its practice."

Last edited by Geko45; 10-22-2012 at 22:58..
Geko45 is offline   Reply With Quote