scccdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:13   #2
scccdoc

Nobody with tritium dot experience?
scccdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:16   #3
J.R. Bob Dobbs
Nerd

I had one and returned it. When in lower light but aiming to higher light, the dot disappeared.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:09   #4
MrMurphy
Lifetime Membership

The Reflex was one of the first viable dot optics, but it's well known in having issues washing out in bright light, or going from dark to bright/bright to dark.

I'd use one if it was issued but I wouldn't buy one. It's still better than an Eotech.
"And Shepherds we shall be. For thee, my Lord for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et fili, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen."
MrMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:35   #5
Cole125
Silver Membership

I've got a Trijicon reflex 6.5 MOA on my Mossberg 500, and its a great red dot for what it is. Very rugged, very durable, and the fact it never needs batteries and has no on/off switch is the main selling point for me. The dot is bright as hell outdoors even in dim light, but can washout a little indoors but is still usable. For a shotgun this is not a big deal because within 10 yards if you just put the threat in the window of the dot, you will hit him. I would not hesitate to put the 4.5 MOA version on one of my ARs if the price was right.

Black Rifle Forum

Last edited by Cole125; 10-23-2012 at 10:36..
Cole125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 00:13   #6
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

I got one as a gift... sort of. It is fine for what it was intended for... which is not in super bright light, because it does wash out the triangle a bit.

I have it on the shotgun for a sight that can take the abuse and not worry about the electronics being beat to death.
lawman800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 00:44   #7
surf

I have several that are paper weights. In very dark conditions you cannot see any reticle, or anything through the glass period. No shapes, movement, nothing. Dark into light, or dark and turn on a light, the washout that people talk about is 100% real. Optic is only good in ideal or daylight conditions. Most **** happens in less than ideal or low light conditions. Nothing sucks more than getting shot at, a lot and you can't see your optic. Good thing for back up sights. Too bad it takes a life and death incident to get things changed. And yes, we went to EOTech's with no looking back.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by surf; 10-24-2012 at 00:49..
surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 00:47   #8
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

Quote:
Originally Posted by surf View Post
I have several that are paper weights. In very dark conditions there is no reticle. Dark into light, or dark and turn on a light, the washout that people talk about is 100% real. Nothing sucks more than getting shot at, a lot and you can't see your optic, or anything through the glass period in dark conditions. Good thing for back up sights. Too bad it takes a life and death incident to get things changed. And yes, we went to EOTech's, no looking back.
Care to give away some paper weights?
Old 10-24-2012, 00:56   #9
surf

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawman800 View Post
Care to give away some paper weights?
Even if I could, which I cannot, my own integrity would not allow me to give them out knowing the issues that go along with them.

Old 10-24-2012, 00:57   #10
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

Quote:
Even if I could, which I cannot, my own integrity would not allow me to give them out knowing the issues that go along with them.
Not even as paperweights?
Old 10-24-2012, 01:16   #11
surf

Quote:
Not even as paperweights?
Nope, sorry. I guess negative opinions are easily formulated about items that almost get ya killed. After getting replacement optics with all the documented problems associated with the Reflex, some geniuses wanted to reissue them to other units. I about flipped my lid and refused. I just can't trash em because technically they are not mine and need to be accounted for. So they will remain paper weights. Sorry.

Last edited by surf; 10-24-2012 at 01:16..
Old 10-24-2012, 08:21   #12
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

Quote:
Nope, sorry. I guess negative opinions are easily formulated about items that almost get ya killed. After getting replacement optics with all the documented problems associated with the Reflex, some geniuses wanted to reissue them to other units. I about flipped my lid and refused. I just can't trash em because technically they are not mine and need to be accounted for. So they will remain paper weights. Sorry.
I hear ya. Just giving you a hard time.
Old 10-24-2012, 14:09   #13
Cole125
Silver Membership

Quote:
They aren't that bad. Yes a Aimpoint or EoTech is a better choice for a serious use rifle, but Trijicon Reflex sights are perfectly fine for a range fun gun/blaster or hunting shotgun.
Old 10-24-2012, 19:09   #14
The Pirate
HARRRRR!!!

I've had a tri-power for a long time and couldn't be happier. It's never let me down, but I do kick on the battery when I'm using it in the dark.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Old 10-24-2012, 20:34   #15
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pirate View Post
I've had a tri-power for a long time and couldn't be happier. It's never let me down, but I do kick on the battery when I'm using it in the dark.

The TriPower is an awesome sight. A little bit more costly than the Reflex though.
Old 10-25-2012, 01:45   #16
surf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole125 View Post
They aren't that bad. Yes a Aimpoint or EoTech is a better choice for a serious use rifle, but Trijicon Reflex sights are perfectly fine for a range fun gun/blaster or hunting shotgun.
From my personal experiences they are that bad. If he had asked about a range optic, my response might not have been as critical but that was not the question. Not trying to offend anyone, but that is my honest answer to my own personal experiences with the use of this optic that I put up with for 4 years of full time use. I feel fortunate that the straw did not actually break my back or worse. Range weapon, not a problem. You might only miss paper, steel, cans, whatever. But IMO, it has no place on a critical use weapon. Again that is only my experience / opinion.

Old 10-25-2012, 05:47   #17
joecoastie

The shotguns that we use in the Coast Guard have Trijicon Reflex sights on them and I have noticed the same things that Surf has mentioned. Under ideal conditions, such as shooting for qualifications at the range, they are great. Other than that the dot gets washed out very easily and pretty much disappears in total darkness. Its too bad, overall it seems like a pretty rugged sight.

Surf, I find it interesting that you switched to EOtechs since it seems like a lot of people make it sound like they'll break if you look at them wrong. What has been your experience with their durability?
Old 10-25-2012, 11:36   #18
Cole125
Silver Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecoastie View Post
The shotguns that we use in the Coast Guard have Trijicon Reflex sights on them and I have noticed the same things that Surf has mentioned.
That is the main reason I bought a Trijicon reflex for my Mossberg 500, I've seen USCG guys with the setup and I thought it was a good optic choice for a shotgun. Your correct under ideal conditions its nice, and it is a rugged little sight. The washout issues are real and theres no denying that.

I've got a older Aimpoint lying around I am going to run on my Mossberg and see how I do with the smaller dot, Aimpoints are a night and day difference in low light.

As far as EoTechs on shotguns, they are too high to be comfortable/usable. I've got a 512 I've tried on my Mossberg and you have to lift your head off the stock to see it, they are designed for a flattop AR. For shotgun use, I think Aimpoint is best because you can get really low rings for them. A Pro without a the spacer on the mount would be a good option.

Last edited by Cole125; 10-25-2012 at 11:36..
Old 10-25-2012, 16:28   #19
The Pirate
HARRRRR!!!

Quote:
The TriPower is an awesome sight. A little bit more costly than the Reflex though.
So far, it's been worth the money though. I don't think they get the credit they deserve from most people. It's probably a price issue mostly. Aimpoints will do most of the same for less money, but they don't have a cool chevron reticle, haha.

Old 10-26-2012, 01:28   #20
surf

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecoastie View Post
The shotguns that we use in the Coast Guard have Trijicon Reflex sights on them and I have noticed the same things that Surf has mentioned. Under ideal conditions, such as shooting for qualifications at the range, they are great. Other than that the dot gets washed out very easily and pretty much disappears in total darkness. Its too bad, overall it seems like a pretty rugged sight.

Surf, I find it interesting that you switched to EOtechs since it seems like a lot of people make it sound like they'll break if you look at them wrong. What has been your experience with their durability?
Hey Joe, no doubt the Reflex is a tank, but as you note the drawback is obvious and not acceptable for critical use IMO.

As for the EOTech, I was an old school Aimpoint guy and still own a couple, even the uber popular T1 and I do like it a lot. I have also always been clear on which EOTech models are worth a **** and which ones to avoid. The problem is that most of the EOTech naysayers got that negative opinion from the early generations, mostly the 512's, and for good reason. However those people have mostly or generally remained anti-EOTech even though there are much improved and extremely high quality versions on the market now. Many in fact will have little practical experience behind the much improved or newer variants and still hold their bias from a long long time ago.

My working 553 has seen enough hard use and such high round counts where I have gone through 2 barrels and I am still on the same EOTech 5 years later. My EXPS versions haven't had a single hiccup, through many thousands upon thousands of rounds. Even the HITRON guys went to the EO on the Barrett's and have been operating with good success as far as I understand with my interactions with them.

Without getting too engrossed in the EO / Aimpoint argument, I never poo poo Aimpoint and highly recommend their products. There are also many top recognized trainers today (Mike Pannone, Kyle Lamb, Kyle DeFoor, etc just to name a couple) who were former Delta, SEAL etc, who are huge fans of the EOTech. I only mention this because people might give them more recognition then a screen name here at GT. But again there are many who like the Aimpoints. I also like much of Trijicons products. But just like EOTech, I will be the first to call the Reflex a POS, just like I will call the 512's a POS. So everyone has a preference and reasons why they chose certain items. Far be it from me to dictate anything, but like anyone else I do give an opinion when asked. Coke v. Pepsi and still someone will argue that.