Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-23-2012, 08:48   #1
Mr981

Send a message via Yahoo to Mr981
Go to jail for not accurately predicting earthquake?

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...WhatsNewsThird

Remember that Italian quake in '09' that killed 100+ people and reduced that town to rubble?

Apparently, the manslaughter charge against the scientists that were responsible for providing information on how likely a quake might be has been working its way through the Italian "justice" system and they were judged guilty and will do 6 years, if the ruling is affirmed in the appeals process.

Amazing--right out of the 13th century.
Mr981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:51   #2
rhikdavis
U.S. Veteran

Send a message via Yahoo to rhikdavis Send a message via Skype™ to rhikdavis
That's what happens when you get a government grant.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:12   #3
ChiefWPD

Frankly, that's nuts.

OK, what's gonna happen? Well, EVERY TIME that gov't now asks a scientist if there's gonna be an earthquake the answer will be:

"Very likely. Take immediate precautionairy action."

Old 10-23-2012, 09:23   #4
Gallium
CLM Number 182
Charter Lifetime Member

Sounds fair to me - if we are going to imprison politicians for campaign promises. I say 1 week for each failed promise.

At that rate Obama would be deep somewhere in the 25th century before he was eligible for any consideration of parole.

Gallium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:29   #5
Geko45
CLM Number 135
Smartass Pilot

Italian scientist convicted FOR NOT predicting EARTHQUAKE??!
CavDoc: "If you have to pretend that a person with a different opinion has an opinion other than his own in order to score points in an argument, you've forfeited any points that you pretended to have."
CavDoc: "You consider yourself as non-religious, and I consider you a religious zealot."

JBnTX: "Freedom of religion doesn't mean you can worship any God, anyway you see fit or not even worship any God if you so choose. [...] Christianity should be the only religion protected under the constitution, and congress shall make no law restricting its practice."
Geko45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:32   #6
Mr981

Send a message via Yahoo to Mr981
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefWPD View Post
Frankly, that's nuts.

OK, what's gonna happen? Well, EVERY TIME that gov't now asks a scientist if there's gonna be an earthquake the answer will be:

"Very likely. Take immediate precautionairy action."

Or all risks will have a 50% chance of probability--maybe yes, maybe no..
Mr981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:37   #7
wmodavis

Maybe we should try that for people who push the hocky stick that never happened.
wmodavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:39   #8
Brucev

Hum... why not? The little boys and girls in the lab coats want to run everything with their global warming hogwash. Here... they find out that if they want to parade around as experts... someone will hold them accountable... even if they protest that they are not responsible. Let them enjoy being guest of the state. Would be even better if all the folks who want scientist to run everything would would be sentenced to join these seismologist in prison.
Brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:25   #9
badge315

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucev View Post
Hum... why not? The little boys and girls in the lab coats want to run everything with their global warming hogwash. Here... they find out that if they want to parade around as experts... someone will hold them accountable... even if they protest that they are not responsible. Let them enjoy being guest of the state. Would be even better if all the folks who want scientist to run everything would would be sentenced to join these seismologist in prison.
Oh, brother.

- The Loc-Nar
badge315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:31   #10
Altaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucev View Post

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/show....php?t=1449003

While some comments in the other thread were off base, yours is just plain stupid.

Last edited by Altaris; 10-23-2012 at 13:35..
Altaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:25   #11
Geko45
CLM Number 135
Smartass Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altaris View Post
While some comments in the other thread were off base, yours is just plan stupid.
He doesn't disappoint, that's for sure. You can hear the hatred he has for all things scientific in his voice. I wonder he was accidentally exposed to gamma rays as a youth or something.
CavDoc: "If you have to pretend that a person with a different opinion has an opinion other than his own in order to score points in an argument, you've forfeited any points that you pretended to have."
CavDoc: "You consider yourself as non-religious, and I consider you a religious zealot."

JBnTX: "Freedom of religion doesn't mean you can worship any God, anyway you see fit or not even worship any God if you so choose. [...] Christianity should be the only religion protected under the constitution, and congress shall make no law restricting its practice."

Last edited by Geko45; 10-27-2012 at 22:00..
Geko45 is offline   Reply With Quote