Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-23-2012, 11:54   #1
badge315

Question about animal abuse/cruelty

I was on another forum that I frequent, and one of the members had posted that he'd found his pet cat dead on his driveway, with its hide peeled away in an apparently precise surgical fashion, not torn apart as if by another animal. He also said that he had contacted the local police, but that they were uninterested in pursuing the matter.

I'm curious how the LEOs here rate such crimes in terms of importance/severity, especially when you consider that serial killer types usually start with animals.

- The Loc-Nar
badge315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:28   #2
razdog76
Heavy Mettle

A terrible loss for the owner.

Severity has nothing to do with it. The "severity" is determined by statute, and how it is handled depends entirely on whether there were any viable leads.

With nothing to link it to an offender, there is nothing to follow up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiron
'..You can lead an ass to facts, but you can't make them think...'

Last edited by razdog76; 10-23-2012 at 12:31..
razdog76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:57   #3
RyanNREMTP
Inactive/Banned

Especially if it's the only reported case in the area. I would still take a report.

This post translated from Morse Code was made possible from donations from viewers like you.
Old 10-23-2012, 13:47   #4
DaBigBR
No Infidels!

Quote:
Originally Posted by razdog76 View Post
A terrible loss for the owner.

Severity has nothing to do with it. The "severity" is determined by statute, and how it is handled depends entirely on whether there were any viable leads.

With nothing to link it to an offender, there is nothing to follow up.
This.

I would go as far as saying that the MAJORITY of offenses that are reported to us, no matter how severe, merit no follow-up. The victim has no idea who did it, there are no witnesses, and there is no evidence that will tell us who did.

More cases turn on stupid actions by the suspect (blabbing to a friend, serial offenses, selling stolen property, etc) than what we learn during the initial report.

-David Simon in "Homicide"
DaBigBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 18:19   #5
ray9898

We would simply take a report. No suspect or witness does not give much to go on unless a magic fairy delivers a clue.
ray9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 19:11   #6
collim1
Shower Time!

I personally couldn't care less about a dead cat, but I will venture a guess that there is a future sadistic rapist murderer on the block. Probably about 13 years old now.

Killing small animals for food or the sport of hunting no big deal. Skinning/dissecting a cat might concern me.
collim1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 00:21   #7
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

Have you talked to your local animal control officer or SPCA? What looks like ritual sacrifice or something along those lines can actually be something else.

We had a case very similar to that where we found a string of dead cat parts near parks and schools. We thought we had a group of Satan worshipers or something operating in the area because it was over the span of a few weeks and the bodies were all found in various states of mutilation.

Some with limbs torn off, some with torn out guts, some literally turned inside out after being torn in half... but no chew marks, no bite marks, no chunks missing like it was eaten partially, nothing... very strange.

We called in animal control to see if they can give some input and they couldn't figure it out either. So after 3 weeks straight... they installed a few cameras around the area where it was happening and caught the culprits in the act.

It was a pack of feral dogs roaming at night in packs. They would spot a wild cat and pounce on it as a group. One dog would hold the cat while others tear at it. One clip showed a cat being held by two dogs in their mouths and both dogs kept pulling until the cat was torn in half. After the dogs tore the cats apart, they just left without eating it or anything, like it was a game for them... kinda like how you see sharks or killer whales toying with their prey and tearing them apart for sport without actually eating them.

It was just totally out there... if it wasn't caught on tape, I would not have believed the story the animal control lady told us.
lawman800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 01:42   #8
Ftttu

We would take a report, and will follow where the case leads.....with reason. If it is an isolated case with no leads, a report it will be.
Ftttu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 06:12   #9
Arc Angel
Deus Vult!

We've got 3 beautiful, agile, and highly intelligent felines. We, also, go to considerable lengths to prevent any of the heartless and perverse neighborhood scum from doing to our cats what I've seen happen to several others.

(My second, 'best friend' is a small female, 'jungle cat'. She's unbelievably lithe and highly intelligent. She is, also, the sole survivor of a litter of exotics that one of our neighbors raised. All of her siblings have been either shot or steel-trapped by one of my, 'kill crazy' neighbors who absolutely loves guns, shooting, killing, and lives just down the road. The guy is always out and about, and shooting at something in the back fields.)

I'm out in the fields a lot at night, too; and I frequently walk the property's perimeter before turning in. (Which is, 'Why' I'm often the first person in the neighborhood to spot trouble.) One night I was returning to the house by walking down the stonewall at the far end of the property. To my everlasting chagrin, I was unfortunate enough to witness one of my neighbors viciously murder his purebred Boxer with a pocket knife. It took the animal awhile to die; and I had to listen to it shriek in agony as it was stabbed.

Animal cruelty is a fact of human nature. So are other perverse human behaviors. While it still sickens me to have to witness these all too human tendencies to do harm, it no longer startles me - Not at all. In fact I, more or less, expect many people - especially young males - to do things like this. I'm, also, of the opinion that drug abuse adds greatly to this sort of vicious behavior. Modern, 'entertainment' adds to the ghoulish horror, as well.

On the other side of the, 'moral equation': It's true! People really do, 'reap what they sow'. I've often watched this happen, too. In fact I'm convinced that there really is an active moral force behind human existence. I've also learned that, just like evil, this active moral force can be called down, focused, and directed against other people and their squalid personal behaviors.

Ultimately, every single one of us gets what he genuinely deserves. The debt is equally discharged both here and there, in this life and in the afterlife, as well. The infantile conscious mind tends to, 'live in the present moment'. Too many people assume that there is personal behavior without durable moral consequence; however, I've now lived long enough to know that: Nobody ever really gets away with anything. It's just that people who behave badly, invariably, prefer to lie to themselves and like to imagine that they do; e.g.: Richard Ramirez, 'I'll see you in Disneyland!' (The Hell he will!)

Last edited by Arc Angel; 10-24-2012 at 06:46..
Arc Angel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
animal abuse, cruelty