Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-23-2012, 12:28   #1
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

iPad Mini!

Wow. Just what I've been waiting for. 7.2mm thick, .68lb, 10 hour battery life, 7.9" display, 1080p vid, A5 chip, 4GLTE

Definite pre-order!
certifiedfunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:33   #2
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

New iMac is stunning
Old 10-23-2012, 12:44   #3
sputnik767

Quote:
Originally Posted by certifiedfunds View Post
Wow. Just what I've been waiting for. 7.2mm thick, .68lb, 10 hour battery life, 7.9" display, 1080p vid, A5 chip, 4GLTE

Definite pre-order!
Rather impressive. The 8" screen is just right for many people in a portable device. I was actually wondering why the only choices thus far have been ~10" or 7". Agree with your analysis of the new imac as well.

Last edited by sputnik767; 10-23-2012 at 12:46..
sputnik767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:50   #4
sheriff733
NRA LIFE MEMBER

Quote:

Definite pre-order!
Probably a silly question, but is it running standard iOS just like the big brother iPad?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

"This isn't domestic abuse. This is hilarious!" -Peter Griffin
sheriff733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:58   #5
Mr. Niceguy

Enjoy the new mini pad!
Mr. Niceguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 13:04   #6
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnik767 View Post
Rather impressive. The 8" screen is just right for many people in a portable device. I was actually wondering why the only choices thus far have been ~10" or 7". Agree with your analysis of the new imac as well.
I haven't compared the overall dimensions and weight to the Nexus or Samsung offerings. One thing I noticed is that it doesn't have the large dark border that other mini tablets seem to have, meaning more of it's real estate is usable. So I'm wondring if it is actually bigger.

It is thinner than the iphone 5 and just about twice as heavy.

Last edited by certifiedfunds; 10-23-2012 at 13:05..
Old 10-23-2012, 13:11   #7
sbhaven

At $329, $70 more than its compeditors the Kindle Fire HD and Google Nexus 7, some will find it hard to justify the expense. Plus no Retina display.

The real test will be how it compares in hands on real world reviews to the Fire and Nexus 7.
Old 10-23-2012, 13:18   #8
sputnik767

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbhaven View Post
At $329, $70 more than its compeditors the Kindle Fire HD and Google Nexus 7, some will find it hard to justify the expense. Plus no Retina display.

The real test will be how it compares in hands on real world reviews to the Fire and Nexus 7.
The 1080p resolution on an 8" screen probably has a similar pixel pitch to the "retina" display. For the record, Retina display is just a meaningless marketing term. The retina display on the iphone 5 does not even provide a 720p resolution that most other phones in the price range provide, despite the "retina" term. However, it's pixel pitch given the small screen size is still better. And honestly, this tablet is giving you the same 1080p resolution in an 8" screen, that most computer monitors provide in a 21" screen. I doubt we even have the technology to match the ipad 3 resolution in the 8" device. Also, the 1080p resolution outclasses both the Nexus 7 and Kindle Fire, but I do believe that Google is in the process of getting another mini tablet with a 1080p screen produced.

Last edited by sputnik767; 10-23-2012 at 13:24..
sputnik767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 13:22   #9
tantrix
J'aimeLouisiane

I already have a mini-iPad...it's called an iPhone.

Last edited by tantrix; 10-23-2012 at 13:22..
tantrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 13:31   #10
Glock30Eric
.45 ACP

27" iMac is so sick! I couldn't wait to order one in December!
Glock30Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 13:32   #11
roger123

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantrix View Post
I already have a mini-iPad...it's called an iPhone.
Yea, I'll have to see what it looks like. I have an iPad and iPhone, not sure why I need the mini? I tried my friends Kindle and it just seemed too small for surfing, good for reading and watching a movie but seemed too small for serious web browsing. I have become an Apple fanboy over the last several years though so I guess it's another opportunity to drop some bucks.

Last edited by roger123; 10-23-2012 at 13:32..
roger123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 13:57   #12
sbhaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnik767 View Post
The 1080p resolution on an 8" screen probably has a similar pixel pitch to the "retina" display. For the record, Retina display is just a meaningless marketing term. The retina display on the iphone 5 does not even provide a 720p resolution that most other phones in the price range provide, despite the "retina" term. However, it's pixel pitch given the small screen size is still better. And honestly, this tablet is giving you the same 1080p resolution in an 8" screen, that most computer monitors provide in a 21" screen. I doubt we even have the technology to match the ipad 3 resolution in the 8" device. Also, the 1080p resolution outclasses both the Nexus 7 and Kindle Fire, but I do believe that Google is in the process of getting another mini tablet with a 1080p screen produced.
It remains to be seen if the display image quality will outclass it's competitors. The big difference, screen wise, is the fact that the Mini has a slightly larger (diagonal) screen than it's competitors which gives it roughly 35% more screen space.

Apple iPad Mini: 7.9-inch IPS display at 1024x768 (4:3 aspect ratio), Pixel Per Inch (PPI) density of 162.
Google Nexus 7: 7-inch (IPS) display at 1280x800 resolution, 16:10 aspect ratio, Pixel Per Inch (PPI) density of 216.
Kindle Fire HD: 7-inch IPS, 1,280x800 pixels (216 ppi), 16:10 aspect ratio.

One obvious question is, will people be able to tell the difference between 720p encoded movies and 1080p encoded movies on these smaller 7 inch tablets?

Last edited by sbhaven; 10-23-2012 at 14:00..
sbhaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 13:58   #13
tantrix
J'aimeLouisiane

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger123 View Post
Yea, I'll have to see what it looks like. I have an iPad and iPhone, not sure why I need the mini? I tried my friends Kindle and it just seemed too small for surfing, good for reading and watching a movie but seemed too small for serious web browsing. I have become an Apple fanboy over the last several years though so I guess it's another opportunity to drop some bucks.
My iPad is about the smallest thing I can stand to do anything on. I use my iPhone for phonecalls and txts only...doing anything else on it is pure torture looking at that tiny screen.

As far as the iPad goes, I'd be far happier if it was 2" larger...but it seems Apple is more worried about going the other direction.
tantrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 14:45   #14
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Amazing. Apple launches what is clearly, today, a best-in-class device and some of you still aren't happy. $70 price difference to justify? Seriously? That person probably has more pressing things to do with money than buy a tablet......

Say you hat iOS or iTunes or lack of file architecture....whatever. But this is a NICE mini tab.

Personally this trims over a pound out of my bag.
Old 10-23-2012, 14:45   #15
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantrix View Post
My iPad is about the smallest thing I can stand to do anything on. I use my iPhone for phonecalls and txts only...doing anything else on it is pure torture looking at that tiny screen.

As far as the iPad goes, I'd be far happier if it was 2" larger...but it seems Apple is more worried about going the other direction.
Bigger iPad?

Go eat your hogs head cheese

Old 10-23-2012, 15:02   #16
sbhaven

Quote:
Amazing. Apple launches what is clearly, today, a best-in-class device and some of you still aren't happy. $70 price difference to justify? Seriously? That person probably has more pressing things to do with money than buy a tablet......

Say you hat iOS or iTunes or lack of file architecture....whatever. But this is a NICE mini tab.

Personally this trims over a pound out of my bag.
Every one's entitled to their opinions... Not everyone is an Apple fanboy...

Best in class remains to be seen. On paper it looks impressive, but until there are hands on reviews there is no way to know if it really beats other 7 inch tablets. Or what weaknesses and bugs it may have. Not to mention that in six months, someone else will release a 7-8 inch tablet that will probably have better specs than the Apple Mini.

Gatta love the fact that Apple has a built in core of followers (more than a few who are ironically Occupy Wall Street Protesters) who will stand in line for hours to spend piles of cash to buy anything that Apple releases to the market.

Last edited by sbhaven; 10-23-2012 at 15:03..
sbhaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 15:05   #17
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
Every one's entitled to their opinions... Not everyone is an Apple fanboy...

Best in class remains to be seen. On paper it looks impressive, but until there are hands on reviews there is no way to know if it really beats other 7 inch tablets. Or what weaknesses and bugs it may have. Not to mention that in six months, someone else will release a 7-8 inch tablet that will probably have better specs than the Apple Mini.

Gatta love the fact that Apple has a built in core of followers (more than a few who are ironically Occupy Wall Street Protesters) who will stand in line for hours to spend piles of cash to buy anything that Apple releases to the market.
Funny thing is I've been shopping mini tabs lately. I just couldn't get past the "cheap" in them all. What apple just released is exactly what I was hoping they would. Had it been released by Samsung I would've bought it.
Old 10-23-2012, 15:12   #18
ryanm

Quote:
New iMac is stunning
That it is! I just have no need for one.

I was waiting to see the new 13 MBP retina... but I think I'm going to proceed with the 13" MBA now. Price difference is still going to be a bit much.
ryanm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 15:12   #19
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanm View Post
That it is! I just have no need for one.

I was waiting to see the new 13 MBP retina... but I think I'm going to proceed with the 13" MBA now. Price difference is still going to be a bit much.
$3200 fully loaded!
Old 10-23-2012, 15:16   #20
ryanm

Quote:
$3200 fully loaded!
Yeah. With the configs I'm looking at... I think I can live with the 8GB of ram and 256GB flash drive. To save 700-1000 in difference. I think I'll start taking this to meetings instead of my ThinkPad. That should get some strange looks.
Old 10-23-2012, 15:17   #21
sbhaven

Quote:
Funny thing is I've been shopping mini tabs lately. I just couldn't get past the "cheap" in them all. What apple just released is exactly what I was hoping they would. Had it been released by Samsung I would've bought it.
Good for you. Me, I bought a Nexus 7 back in July because I got tired of waiting for the next "big thing", got tired of waiting for the next "iPad killer", got tired of waiting for Apple to release a tablet in the 7 inch range.

For what I use the Nexus 7 for, the $70 additional price of the Mini makes it overkill for my needs. What I really wanted and was waiting for was the Asus Memo 370T. But unfortunately Asus didn't release it, then Google had Asus neuter it to make the Nexus 7.
Old 10-23-2012, 15:20   #22
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
Yeah. With the configs I'm looking at... I think I can live with the 8GB of ram and 256GB flash drive. To save 700-1000 in difference. I think I'll start taking this to meetings instead of my ThinkPad. That should get some strange looks.
Don't rule out the Air then. My MBA11 has become my primary bidness machine. The dell boat anchor stays at home, unused.
Old 10-23-2012, 15:21   #23
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
Good for you. Me, I bought a Nexus 7 back in July because I got tired of waiting for the next "big thing", got tired of waiting for the next "iPad killer", got tired of waiting for Apple to release a tablet in the 7 inch range.

For what I use the Nexus 7 for, the $70 additional price of the Mini makes it overkill for my needs. What I really wanted and was waiting for was the Asus Memo 370T. But unfortunately Asus didn't release it, then Google had Asus neuter it to make the Nexus 7.
I very, very nearly did the same but with the minipad being so close I held off to see what it was about.
Old 10-23-2012, 15:31   #24
ryanm

Quote:
Don't rule out the Air then. My MBA11 has become my primary bidness machine. The dell boat anchor stays at home, unused.
I've tried the 11" air in the store... I just can't see using it that often. It seems too small to be useful.
I can't make myself buy one just to try it out!
Old 10-23-2012, 15:34   #25
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
I've tried the 11" air in the store... I just can't see using it that often. It seems too small to be useful.
I can't make myself buy one just to try it out!
Well they also make a 13....

I thought the same but now my 15 pro collects dust too.