SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-24-2012, 08:42   #1
jim7777b
E9 USN Ret

Knowledge Base

I want to buy an OEM Barrel for my G19--I have looked at 3 options KKM/Storm Lake/Bar-Sto. In the experiences out there, what seems to be a good or a bad buy. I am fully aware that is totally subjective but would like to hear some learned advice.
NRA Range Officer, Glock Armorer quals, expired since 2K--guess I know nothing about them any more--- G17--Gen 1, G19--Gen 3, G23--Gen 3, G22--Gen 3 RTF2 ))))))) ....Other guns too numerous to list.....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
jim7777b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:34   #2
dakrat

OEM is Glock barrel. those brands you mentioned are considered aftermarket barrels. I had KKM on my G35 and the lockup is solid compared to the factory barrel with no movement whatsoever. it is a drop-in barrel with no smithing required. much tighter chamber and more case support. I can only speak for KKM barrels as I have no experience with others. I see no reason to buy anything else.
Old 10-24-2012, 12:11   #3
jim7777b
E9 USN Ret

Sorry 'bout the OEM mistake. Thanks for the input.
NRA Range Officer, Glock Armorer quals, expired since 2K--guess I know nothing about them any more--- G17--Gen 1, G19--Gen 3, G23--Gen 3, G22--Gen 3 RTF2 ))))))) ....Other guns too numerous to list.....

Old 10-24-2012, 12:22   #4
SJ 40

With in the last month I recently broke down and purchased a Wilson match grade barrel for my G 22 as 95% of my shooting is done with lead. For the last ten years I have done all lead from my OEM Glock barrels.
I recently purchased a basket case G 22,Cheap that needed a few parts one of which was a barrel,so I went with Wilson on a recommendation from a gunsmith who is a partner of the folks at Caspian. He said he would show or talk me through any fitting needed with the Wilson barrel.
It did need five swipes of a fine hone at the back of the barrel hood for a perfect fit to my slide,not a big deal.

So does it make any difference,I think so. Now mind you I never fired a round through the factory barrel in this gun because there was no barrel. Comparing it to my other G 22's it is more accurate that he other two.
The barrel when cleaning is no easier or harder to clean lead out of than the OEM's which have always been a snap.
Wilson just recently added the G 19 match barrel to their line up,from what I see from my G 22 barrel I would recommend it.

http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Match-Gr...oductinfo/647/

SJ 40

Last edited by SJ 40; 10-24-2012 at 12:25.. Reason: spelling
SJ 40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 14:25   #5
ron59
Bustin Caps

Yeah.... in case you didn't know.... OEM stands for Original Equipment Manufacturer.

So in the case of a Ford car, an OEM part would be the same as what came on it originally. There are aftermarket parts, that are COPIES that usually don't have as good a quality (but that's not necessarily universally true).

Anyway... I have two Lone Wolf barrels, one for my G17 and one for G34 and have had no issues with them.

Quote:
WTF?! How a cheap can an old, the old fart get?!
ron59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 14:35   #6

I've only used storm lake on my g30, but it was a perfect drop in and still no issues 500rds later...
24601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 14:39   #7
jim7777b
E9 USN Ret

I did know about the OEM---just had a small brain hemorrhage---

Old 10-24-2012, 16:08   #8
Bruce M

What is the problem with the barrel in the G19 now?
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 16:12   #9
barth
six barrels

All three have good reputations.
Personally I've had good luck with Storm Lake in my Glock G27.
1) G27 40-9mm conversion
2) G23 40-9mm conversion
3) G23 40
4) G27 357 extended, dual ported, tactical flat black Isonite QPQ finish
General Glocking

Last edited by barth; 10-24-2012 at 16:14..
barth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 03:25   #10
jim7777b
E9 USN Ret

Nothing wrong with the Glock Barrel---Just want to get better groups---don't we all??

Old 10-25-2012, 03:29   #11
DannyR

Unless you can already shoot sub 4 inch groups at 25 yards hand held, an aftermarket barrel will not help you. One really cannot purchase accuracy. It comes with practice, lots of it.

If you can hardly play the piano, buying a Steinway will not help you.
Bull Dawg #1

DannyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:25   #12
Bruce M

I disagree. One can purchase accuracy. Accuracy is purchased on a case by case basis. Cases and cases of ammunition. (Or of primers and powder) And maybe some good instructors.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:50   #13
F106 Fan

I haven't found an accuracy problem with my stock G21SF barrel. Any problem with tight groups is all mine! I have a hard time focusing on the front sight - an old eyes kind of thing.

I did purchase a KKM barrel so I could shoot lead without getting involved in the 'lead through Glock barrel' debate. It works fine.

Nothing about an aftermarket barrel or chamber is going to improve reliability and given that Glocks are combat weapons, reliability is more important than group size.

Along with that point is the fact that nobody considers the Glock to be a target quality weapon. If you want really small groups, get a target gun. An S&W Model 52 is fantastic, if you can find one. A Colt Gold Cup or some of the other 'match' 1911s are good.

Most target guns have light and crisp triggers. Something that is never going to happen with a Glock. The fact that the striker is cocked during the trigger pull just guarantees the trigger is always going to be creepy. It might be a light pull, it might have a nice break, but it ALWAYS going to be creepy!

Still, at 7 yards, I can keep all the pretty .45 ACPs in the 10-ring. My eyesight is keeping me from putting them all in the X-ring. The factory setup is good enough.

You ever watch Hickok45 shooting a stock Glock at an 80 yard gong? If you watch enough of his stuff, you will understand that the limits of your shooting have nothing to do with the firearm. It's strictly a skill thing. That fellow can shoot! And he loves Glocks!

Richard
Old 10-26-2012, 10:22   #14
jim7777b
E9 USN Ret

Been shooting for over 50 years---eyes and some other things "ain't what they useta' be but I can still out-shoot most. Worked at a range for over 3 years and learned a few tricks from some really good shooters---anyway I have had 2 LoneWolf barrels for several years. One for my 22's conversion to 9mm which is wonderful. The other one is a little different---23 barrel for my 27. I have several hundred rounds thru it with no noticeable issues until a week ago. Was getting off center firing pin strikes with it. Noticed when it is "in battery" the rear of the barrel doesn't come level with the slide. Put the stock barrel in and it fired fine---the other one would not fire at all. When I let the slide slam home with fresh Mag. it seems closer to battery but still won't fire the round. When I push down on the back of the barrel it stays down. Not true with the other 3 pistols. I know the baby glocks have a larger visible gap and maybe some more "play" between slide and frame than other models. It has never been a problem before. Any ideas ..............

Last edited by jim7777b; 10-26-2012 at 10:23..
Old 10-26-2012, 11:12   #15
Tiro Fijo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyR View Post
Unless you can already shoot sub 4 inch groups at 25 yards hand held, an aftermarket barrel will not help you. One really cannot purchase accuracy. It comes with practice, lots of it.

If you can hardly play the piano, buying a Steinway will not help you.

Like the old joke: how do I get to Carnegie Hall? Practice!!
Tiro Fijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 14:12   #16
jim7777b
E9 USN Ret

Please read my last question and not Danny's accuracy barbs----lol.