Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-25-2012, 03:57   #1
ronduke

Homeless Man Saves Police Officer

A Dallas Police officer is recovering from serious injuries, after he was attacked by a man suspected of being on a drug-induced rampage. The injuries may have been more serious, perhaps even life- threatening, had a homeless man not stepped in to stop the attack.

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2012/10/23/e...r-from-attack/
ronduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 04:10   #2
merlynusn

Good on him. Thankfully he was there to help the officer.

ETA: Who are those other two people in uniform who did nothing? Security guards?

Last edited by merlynusn; 10-25-2012 at 04:14..
merlynusn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 05:20   #3
Bren
NRA Life Member

The headline kind of blew that out of proportion.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:22   #4
scottydl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
I agree, but kudos to the bystander. There are so many idiots out there now that would just stand and watch like it's a TV show.
scottydl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:34   #5
Mattz

Quote:
How so? Looks like you had an officer that was solo retreating and the bystander came up from behind and placed the suspect on the ground.

Kudo's to the bystander... that's damn awesome... and just goes to show that you should always treat people with respect, regardless of their situation, because that person may be the one pulling your ass out of the fire one day.
Mattz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:58   #6
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattz View Post
How so? Looks like you had an officer that was solo retreating and the bystander came up from behind and placed the suspect on the ground.
The officer had help on the way and was not actually under attack or unable to handle the situation. A lot of people would have locked up the bystander for butting in where he didn't belong. He basically initiated force where the officer was keeping the guy contained and waiting for more people. That's not the way I would have handled it, but I sent a lot more people to the hospital than is acceptable these days.

Like you, the bystander didn't have the training or experience to understand the situation.

Last edited by Bren; 10-25-2012 at 08:58..
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:03   #7
Mattz

Quote:
The officer had help on the way and was not actually under attack or unable to handle the situation. A lot of people would have locked up the bystander for butting in where he didn't belong. He basically initiated force where the officer was keeping the guy contained and waiting for more people. That's not the way I would have handled it, but I sent a lot more people to the hospital than is acceptable these days.

Like you, the bystander didn't have the training or experience to understand the situation.
Like me? Oh... guess almost 5 years experience as a police officer doesn't qualify... my bad...

It doesn't sound like the officer was keeping the person contained. The video said the officer had used his baton and it was ineffective, hence the PCP, and it appeared the officer was retreating as the suspect was actively engaging. If you'd lock someone up in that situation then you'd be the same reason people question assisting the police when they're getting their ass kicked for fear of getting in trouble or being held liable.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:36   #8
GWSHARK
BITEYAHEADOFF

Mattz please excuse Bren. He has a tendency to step on his own wick.

Last edited by GWSHARK; 10-25-2012 at 12:36..
GWSHARK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 13:11   #9
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattz View Post
Like me? Oh... guess almost 5 years experience as a police officer doesn't qualify... my bad...
That really isn't much and yes, I have more.

As for the officer - he may have wanted help, but you couldn't see it from the video. Once he got into the opening, he appeared to be in a position to lead the guy around as long as necessary.

Last edited by Bren; 10-25-2012 at 13:13..
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 13:28   #10
GD2J
GoDirectly2Jail

Quote:
Uh, oh, break out the rulers; the ****-measuring contest is underway...
GD2J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 13:35   #11
janice6
Platinum Membership
NRA

Helping a cop is great. No matter who or where it comes from, it's the right thing to do.

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

Earp: Not everyone who knows you hates you.
DOC: I know it ain't always easy bein' my friend....but I'll BE THERE when you need me.
janice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 14:20   #12
Mattz

Quote:

As for the officer - he may have wanted help, but you couldn't see it from the video. Once he got into the opening, he appeared to be in a position to lead the guy around as long as necessary.
You have your opinion, I'll have mine. If the first thought that comes to your head after someone helps you with a person who had the potential to put you on your back in a scrap is to ARREST them then I'll remember to stay out of Kentucky.
Old 10-25-2012, 17:29   #13
scottydl

Quote:
Originally Posted by janice6 View Post
Helping a cop is great. No matter who or where it comes from, it's the right thing to do.
Absolutely. I certainly wouldn't turn down help (from a citizen or ANYONE) if a guy is physically attacking me. That would be fairly crazy to then arrest the person that stepped in to help me.
scottydl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 19:19   #14
x_out86

I'm not going to get involved in the going on here, but....

Glad to see that the guy stepped up and helped out the officer when he could use it. Another reminder that there are people out there with some common sense and redeeming qualities. Hope the city and PD step up and recognize the guy for doing the right thing.
I long to accomplish a great and noble tasks, but it is my chief duty to accomplish humble tasks as though they were great and noble. The world is moved along, not only by the mighty shoves of its heroes, but also by the aggregate of the tiny pushes of each honest worker.
x_out86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 19:22   #15
Mattz

Quote:
Originally Posted by x_out86 View Post
I'm not going to get involved in the going on here, but....

Glad to see that the guy stepped up and helped out the officer when he could use it. Another reminder that there are people out there with some common sense and redeeming qualities. Hope the city and PD step up and recognize the guy for doing the right thing.
He was just recognized by the department and presented some type of civilian award.
Old 10-26-2012, 04:29   #16
merlynusn

Obviously if the officer is that injured, I'm sure it looked worse in person than it did on video. Plus, what happened before they came into frame of the video.

Anyone who'd arrest the guy who helped is stupid.
Old 10-26-2012, 05:20   #17
CGMK

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlynusn View Post

Anyone who'd arrest the guy who helped is stupid.
Agreed. I've worked solo in some far and away areas and have always tried to treat customers with respect for this very reason.

Had a buddy of mine get his ass kicked on the side of a county road one night. A guy on felony probation, due to the copper getting beat down, happened across the situation and put the boots to bad guy. You never know
CGMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 07:24   #18
merlynusn

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGMK View Post
Agreed. I've worked solo in some far and away areas and have always tried to treat customers with respect for this very reason.

Had a buddy of mine get his ass kicked on the side of a county road one night. A guy on felony probation, due to the copper getting beat down, happened across the situation and put the boots to bad guy. You never know
And if something like that happened. You can bet I'll call his probation officer and tell him that his offender came to my aid when I needed it.