Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-25-2012, 17:05   #1
RustyL

9mm for the wife

I think she can handle this gun, I don't want her to have a glock. I know she is going to purse carry and will not put it in a compartment on its own. I want her to have something with a manual safety, I'm scared a lipstick, pencil, or whatever will get inside the guard. I said all that to ask, what would be a good gun for her in 9mm?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
RustyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 17:07   #2
Ragnar

I would say to reconsider the carry plan first. Any gun rolling around loose in a purse with the possibility of getting a lipstick, keys, or anything else in the trigger guard is a bad plan.
Ragnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 17:07   #3
Osborne
NRA Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Osborne
Ruger LC9

Last edited by Osborne; 10-25-2012 at 17:08..
Osborne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 17:10   #4
Carrys
Inquisitive

If that is what she actually wants......her mind ya, not you....that's what she should go with IMO. If she waants/feels a wheel gun would be better for her as well......Taurus makes some nice snubbie 9mm's, again IMO.

Men Seem To Think Their God Is Like Their Govt.......He Is Supposed To Give Them Things, Not Ask Anything Of them.
Carrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 17:13   #5
Gregg702
Gold Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
I would say to reconsider the carry plan first. Any gun rolling around loose in a purse with the possibility of getting a lipstick, keys, or anything else in the trigger guard is a bad plan.
Yup, this whole thing sounds poorly planned. She needs a holster of some kind, and she should really pick her own gun, one she is comfortable shooting and carrying.
Old 10-25-2012, 17:14   #6
windpoint

If I or a member of my family were to be shot due to such irresponsible behavior I would sue you for everything you now or ever will own. How can you even think this is an acceptable idea?
windpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 17:14   #7
Mrs.Cicero
Wayward Member

HK USP compact. But purse carry without it being in its own compartment is asinine. Have her try drawing from her purse like that. While you walk up to her from across the room and slap some sense into her before she can even find the right end of the gun.

I purse carry, too - but the gun gets it's own compartment. I HATE carrying that way because it adds a good two seconds to my draw time, and that's with practice. I'm glad winter is nearly here and I can go back to carrying on my hip.

"Oh bother," said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Mrs.Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 17:22   #8
RustyL

Windpoint, get a grip brah. This is why I'm asking a question(s). My wife is a girlie girl, I don't she her carrying any other way. Poorly planned? Possibly yes, I want to surprise her with a gift. however, i do believe yall are right, it is her that is going to have to carry the damn thing. I will let her decide....
Old 10-25-2012, 17:23   #9
VC-Racing
General Flunky

I broke my wife from purse carry. I had a friend walk up , snatch it and stand there with it in his hand. Lesson learned. She now carries it IWB or pocket carry. Purse carry will be a disadvantage for her. Her choice of weapon was a S&W 640 . Like a point and shoot camera , if the 1st don't go bang , keep pulling the trigger .

Old 10-25-2012, 17:31   #10
Foxterriermom

I would suggest you let your wife choose her own gun and not pick one out for her. I have 2 Glocks and love them both. The G26 is my concealed carry in cooler months when I have heavier clothes on that hide it better.
Foxterriermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 17:31   #11
boomhower

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyL View Post
Windpoint, get a grip brah. This is why I'm asking a question(s). My wife is a girlie girl, I don't she her carrying any other way. Poorly planned? Possibly yes, I want to surprise her with a gift. however, i do believe yall are right, it is her that is going to have to carry the damn thing. I will let her decide....
He's right. What's so hard about putting the gun is a simple pocket holster that coves the trigger before putting it the purse? My wife purse carries as well. She uses a purse designed for such with a side zippered gun compartment that has built in holster that covers the trigger. Loosely carrying a gun just flipping around the inside of her purse is a prison sentence waiting to happen. She carries .40 Sig P239.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk
boomhower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 17:31   #12
RustyL

Yes, seconds make a lot of difference. She has enough sense to keep it in its own compartment. I also know her purse is the equivalent to a moving van. A holster and manual safety was kinda what I was thinking, but like others have suggested, she has to carry the darn thing, I myself like IWB Crossbreed.

People don't panic like windpoint, this is why I'm asking questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.Cicero View Post
HK USP compact. But purse carry without it being in its own compartment is asinine. Have her try drawing from her purse like that. While you walk up to her from across the room and slap some sense into her before she can even find the right end of the gun.

I purse carry, too - but the gun gets it's own compartment. I HATE carrying that way because it adds a good two seconds to my draw time, and that's with practice. I'm glad winter is nearly here and I can go back to carrying on my hip.
Old 10-25-2012, 17:34   #13
ksmedman

I made the mistake of trying to "help" my wife with her choice of pistol, too.
I though a good snubbie made a lot of sense. Easy manual of arms, reliable, 'point and pull' if you will.
Well... she hated it. Recoil was too sharp for her. Now she carries a Kahr CW9. Loves it, and shoots it pretty darn well.

As for manner of carry, your wife needs to understand that a good holster is a must, where ever she puts it. Find the gun she will carry and actually use, and then work on how she wants to carry it.
ksmedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 17:35   #14
RustyL

A lesson learned, who knows maybe she will IWB

Quote:
Originally Posted by VC-Racing View Post
I broke my wife from purse carry. I had a friend walk up , snatch it and stand there with it in his hand. Lesson learned. She now carries it IWB or pocket carry. Purse carry will be a disadvantage for her. Her choice of weapon was a S&W 640 . Like a point and shoot camera , if the 1st don't go bang , keep pulling the trigger .

Old 10-25-2012, 17:37   #15
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

First of all, does the lady even know how to shoot? If not then consider get her some training first. Preferrably professional training starting from basic marksmanship and graduate to defensive/combative marksmanship. Once she knows how to handle a gun in both range situation and defensive situation, I'm sure that she'd know what kind of gun she wants to have.

That's the smart way of doing thing. Of course, that's just my humble opinion.
Old 10-25-2012, 17:40   #16
RustyL

I think we have a consensus here, yeah I did the last two times on her new vehicles, I learned my lesso and let her pick out the one she wanted, shoulda figured handguns would be the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmedman View Post
I made the mistake of trying to "help" my wife with her choice of pistol, too.
I though a good snubbie made a lot of sense. Easy manual of arms, reliable, 'point and pull' if you will.
Well... she hated it. Recoil was too sharp for her. Now she carries a Kahr CW9. Loves it, and shoots it pretty darn well.

As for manner of carry, your wife needs to understand that a good holster is a must, where ever she puts it. Find the gun she will carry and actually use, and then work on how she wants to carry it.
Old 10-25-2012, 17:47   #17
windpoint

Quote:
Get a grip??? I spent ten years on a rescue squad and ten years in a hospital seeing the result of stupid ideas. Carrying a gun is the most responsible thing you can do. A gun has one purpose, to KILL! No, I won't "get a grip".
windpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 17:47   #18
devildog2067

Quote:
People don't panic like windpoint
It's not panic.

Carrying a firearm loose in a bag with other items is a recipe for disaster. It's as irresponsible as taking a loaded weapon and spinning it on your finger.

A gun belongs:

In your hand
In the safe
In a holster that covers the trigger
devildog2067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 17:50   #19
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
Originally Posted by devildog2067 View Post
It's not panic.

Carrying a firearm loose in a bag with other items is a recipe for disaster. It's as irresponsible as taking a loaded weapon and spinning it on your finger.

A gun belongs:

In your hand
In the safe
In a holster that covers the trigger
That's a simplistic view. Which holster and where? IWB, OWB, SOB, ankle?

Why dismiss purse carry? It's just another means of transport. Maybe it doesn't fit all the time, but what if she were to go to an evening ball? Where is she going to pack a holster if she were to wear a strapless evening gown slit to the thigh?

A nice slim .380 in the clutch is a whole lot better than a Mitch Rosen IWB sitting at home.
Old 10-25-2012, 17:50   #20
RustyL

Yeah, she can shoot, my daughter can as well. Though neither of them have CC permit, I do. And training is what I have in mind for all of us in 3 or 4 months. It will cost about 1k for all of us for training and have money already set aside for it, I had to get it out before she laid hands on it to spend on Christmas.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
First of all, does the lady even know how to shoot? If not then consider get her some training first. Preferrably professional training starting from basic marksmanship and graduate to defensive/combative marksmanship. Once she knows how to handle a gun in both range situation and defensive situation, I'm sure that she'd know what kind of gun she wants to have.

That's the smart way of doing thing. Of course, that's just my humble opinion.
Old 10-25-2012, 17:52   #21
devildog2067

Quote:
That's a simplistic view. Which holster and where? IWB, OWB, SOB, ankle?
Doesn't matter, as long as it covers the trigger.

Quote:
Why dismiss purse carry? It's just another means of transport.
And it's fine, as long as the firearm is in a holster (inside the purse) that covers the trigger.

You don't throw a gun in a bag with other stuff to rattle around loose.
devildog2067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 17:53   #22
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
Yeah, she can shoot, my daughter can as well. Though neither of them have CC permit, I do. And training is what I have in mind for all of us in 3 or 4 months. It will cost about 1k for all of us for training and have money already set aside for it, I had to get it out before she laid hands on it to spend on Christmas.....
Is this training specifically tailored for women? If you want her and possibly your daughter to pack iron, then it's best to get them into a curriculum taught by professional female iron packers. That way they get the whole gamut on both shooting techniques and carrying techniques.

For any man to dismiss a woman's needs for her vanities is simply unrealistic.
Old 10-25-2012, 17:54   #23
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
Originally Posted by devildog2067 View Post
Doesn't matter, as long as it covers the trigger.
Of course it matters. Books have been written and flame wars have raged over holster carrying positions and types.

Quote:
And it's fine, as long as the firearm is in a holster (inside the purse) that covers the trigger.

You don't throw a gun in a bag with other stuff to rattle around loose.
Nobody claims that. There are purses with reinforced straps and built-in quick draw compartments.
Old 10-25-2012, 17:56   #24
RustyL

That makes darn good sense, I did not think of them being trained by a woman. Thank you sir, this is the info I desire without the attitude.

Quote:
Is this training specifically tailored for women? If you want her and possibly your daughter to pack iron, then it's best to get them into a curriculum taught by professional female iron packers. That way they get the whole gamut on both shooting techniques and carrying techniques.

For any man to dismiss a woman's needs for her vanities is simply unrealistic.
Old 10-25-2012, 17:58   #25
RustyL

Yessir, I work with 2300 to 4160 VAC, I have seen what electricity does once you factor in human error.

However, I camer here to learn, not to get beat down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by windpoint View Post
Get a grip??? I spent ten years on a rescue squad and ten years in a hospital seeing the result of stupid ideas. Carrying a gun is the most responsible thing you can do. A gun has one purpose, to KILL! No, I won't "get a grip".