Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-27-2012, 03:23   #1
MarcDW
MDW Guns

Harry Reid security detail crashes

http://news.yahoo.com/harry-reid-goo...tQ4VsATRHQtDMD

Not a fan of Harry Reid, however I am surprised that his security detail had a crash.
I always thought a VIP from that scale is protected by the Secret Service.
Guess they are only cocking with water too or is there more to this?
Anyone from LV having any info??
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
for current inventory

Last edited by MarcDW; 10-27-2012 at 03:24..
MarcDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:03   #2
merlynusn

The articles say that 2 non-motorcade cars were also involved.

It must have been a moving motorcade instead of a clear the streets motorcade, which is typical of all but the Presidential and Vice Presidential ones.

I imagine some civilian got freaked and make a wrong move which just caused a chain reaction.
merlynusn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 12:24   #3
jpa
CLM Number 268
Charter Lifetime Member

Send a message via AIM to jpa Send a message via Yahoo to jpa
The accident was in a spot on I-15 notorious for accidents (NB right by Charleston, just north of the Sahara ramp). There are at least 3-4 accidents in this location every single day.

I got stuck in the resulting traffic jam behind it. NHP already had 2 units on scene and a slicktop was just arriving when I passed it. 3 black suburbans with cold plates and red/blue lights all around. A whole bunch of guys in black suits and sunglasses wandering around. The lead car was all kinds of jacked up and the other two weren't as bad but nothing that will buff right out. There's pics floating around online if you care to look for them. I've heard as many as 6 cars involved or as few as 4 depending on which news story. The POVs involved were already either gone or cleared out when I finally passed.

I've been told his security detail is state DPS officers.
Big Dawg #1408, TT #1408
Moto Club #1408, GSSF Member, NRA RSO
NRA Benefactor Member
jpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 12:30   #4
blueiron
Clown move, bro

The USSS protects only the president, the VP, and foreign heads of State when they visit the United States.

The president of the Senate has a security detail because he is in the decapitation succession line.

Bastard! - TBO
blueiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 13:12   #5
Gallium
CLM Number 182
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiron View Post
The USSS protects only the president, the VP, and foreign heads of State when they visit the United States.

The president of the Senate has a security detail because he is in the decapitation succession line.

http://www.secretservice.gov/faq.shtml#faq2

By law, the Secret Service is authorized to protect:
  • The president, the vice president, (or other individuals next in order of succession to the Office of the President), the president-elect and vice president-elect
  • The immediate families of the above individuals
  • Former presidents, their spouses, except when the spouse re-marries
  • Children of former presidents until age 16
  • Visiting heads of foreign states or governments and their spouses traveling with them, other distinguished foreign visitors to the United States, and official representatives of the United States performing special missions abroad
  • Major presidential and vice presidential candidates, and their spouses within 120 days of a general presidential election
  • Other individuals as designated per Executive Order of the President and
  • National Special Security Events, when designated as such by the Secretary of the Department of Homeland Security
Gallium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 13:29   #6
blueiron
Clown move, bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallium View Post
http://www.secretservice.gov/faq.shtml#faq2

By law, the Secret Service is authorized to protect:
  • The president, the vice president, (or other individuals next in order of succession to the Office of the President), the president-elect and vice president-elect
  • The immediate families of the above individuals
  • Former presidents, their spouses, except when the spouse re-marries
  • Children of former presidents until age 16
  • Visiting heads of foreign states or governments and their spouses traveling with them, other distinguished foreign visitors to the United States, and official representatives of the United States performing special missions abroad
  • Major presidential and vice presidential candidates, and their spouses within 120 days of a general presidential election
  • Other individuals as designated per Executive Order of the President and
  • National Special Security Events, when designated as such by the Secretary of the Department of Homeland Security

I was pointing out that the president of the Senate doesn't rate a USSS detail.

Bastard! - TBO
Old 10-27-2012, 13:58   #7
CJStudent
Fenced In

Send a message via AIM to CJStudent Send a message via Yahoo to CJStudent
Quote:
"Or other individuals next in order of succession to the Office of the President" could cover it.

Quote:
The first round is a moral decision. All of the following rounds are tactical decisions.
CJStudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 14:05   #8
blueiron
Clown move, bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJStudent View Post
"Or other individuals next in order of succession to the Office of the President" could cover it.
The Speaker of the House is third in line, but does not get USSS protection. Cabinet secretaries are in the line of succession and do not get USSS details either.

Bastard! - TBO
Old 10-27-2012, 14:28   #9
CJStudent
Fenced In

Quote:
The Speaker of the House is third in line, but does not get USSS protection. Cabinet secretaries are in the line of succession and do not get USSS details either.
I'm not saying it's likely; just possible under that, or "Other individuals as designated per Executive Order of the President".

Quote:
The first round is a moral decision. All of the following rounds are tactical decisions.
Old 10-27-2012, 15:32   #10
Gallium
CLM Number 182
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:

I think you're intentionally trying to mind screw me.

Did you mean Senate Majority Leader? Because the current senate president DOES get a USSS detail. He's a pretty useless fellow that contributes little to how .gov runs... so you might not have heard much of him. His name is Joe Biden.
Gallium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 15:41   #11
CJStudent
Fenced In

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallium View Post
I think you're intentionally trying to mind screw me.

Did you mean Senate Majority Leader? Because the current senate president DOES get a USSS detail. He's a pretty useless fellow that contributes little to how .gov runs... so you might not have heard much of him. His name is Joe Biden.

Quote:
Old 10-28-2012, 01:41   #12
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

Actually, Obama has a great reason to rest easy: Biden.

Who the hell would want to chance having a Biden succession if they ever harmed Obama? Thinking about having that walking gaffe machine as president is enough to keep Obama safe.
lawman800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 07:27   #13
ejes

Senate and House leadership details are provided by US Capitol Police. Cabinet Secretaries most generally have security details comprised and provided by the investigative or OIG units of their respective departments; Dept. of Energy, HHS, USDA, etc.

Last edited by ejes; 10-28-2012 at 07:37..
ejes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 07:36   #14
TMNKWD

The President of the Senate is the Vice President. When there is a joint session of congress, the Speaker of The House and President of the Senate preside. If the president is speaking, as he does with the State of the Union, he'll begin by saying, "Thank you Mr. Speaker, Mr. President."

Sorry, kind of a government geek
TMNKWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 02:53   #15
USAF96815

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejes View Post
Senate and House leadership details are provided by US Capitol Police. Cabinet Secretaries most generally have security details comprised and provided by the investigative or OIG units of their respective departments; Dept. of Energy, HHS, USDA, etc.
You're correct.

And that's who Reid would have had, US Cap Cops and probably some locals mixed in.
USAF96815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 17:16   #16
w01

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMNKWD View Post
The President of the Senate is the Vice President. When there is a joint session of congress, the Speaker of The House and President of the Senate preside. If the president is speaking, as he does with the State of the Union, he'll begin by saying, "Thank you Mr. Speaker, Mr. President."

Sorry, kind of a government geek
You will also see the Vice President presiding over the Senate when there is a possibility of a tie vote on an important bill. The VP, in his/her role as President of the Senate, gets to cast the tie breaking vote in the event of a tie in a Senate vote.

The line of succession is:

President
VP
Speaker of the House
President Pro Tem of the Senate
Secretary of State
(other cabinet members in a specific order of seniority - Defense is # 2, Homeland Security is last)

You may remember Al Haig was the Secretary of State when Reagan was shot. Bush (the elder) was VP and was traveling out of direct contact. Haig was at the White House and was quoted as saying "I am in control" for which he was criticized as bypassing the congressional leaders in presidential succession. Probably the criticism was blown out of proportion, but Haig could have avoided it by a less controlling commentary (he was a retired 4 star General)

You may also notice that in State of the Union speeches, one cabinet secretary is selected to be the "off site" cabinet representative for continuity of government in the event of a major disaster at the Capitol while the entire government leadership is there. Usually it's a junior secretary.

Last edited by w01; 10-31-2012 at 17:22..
w01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:17   #17
A6Gator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJStudent View Post
I'm not saying it's likely; just possible under that, or "Other individuals as designated per Executive Order of the President".
Like Valerie Jarrett...
Old 11-02-2012, 08:56   #18
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

Or Van Jones...
lawman800 is offline   Reply With Quote