Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-27-2012, 13:39   #1
seanmac45
CLM Number 38
Charter Lifetime Member

Learned something new last evening

I was invited to a night shoot class and decided to give it a go. Although I practice low light by myself in the range I belong to, focused instruction is always a good thing.

I was shooting my 1998 vintage Kimber Custom Classic that was built up into the FBI package at Novak's. Now I had previously been trained in flashlight low light shooting both in the NYPD as well as private courses. I have also utilized Crimson Trace units on my carry pistols since retiring since they were prohibited on NYPD duty weapons.

I was shooting a pistol that was equipped with Crimson Trace lasergrips and utilizing a Surefire for illumination of the target. It had been my belief prior to last evening that I would be better off with one or the other, light or laser.

The course of fire ranged from 3 yards to 15 and included some moving scenarios as well as emergency and tactical reloads. What I found was that the Surefire held in the Harries position (crossed wrists hands back to back) coupled with the Crimson Trace lasergrips was (for me) a wicked fast and highly accurate combination.

I had meant to switch off the lasergrips at the start of the shoot to focus on the flashlight technique. However, after the first string of fire the benefits of the two combined was immediately evident. I was consistently the first to put rounds on paper at the fire command and they were all exactly where I intended them to go.

Just thought I would share and let you know that some old dogs can learn new tricks.

Last edited by seanmac45; 10-27-2012 at 13:51..
seanmac45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 13:51   #2
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
NRA Life Member

The laser grips can be a great training tool as well.
faawrenchbndr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 13:57   #3
countrygun

I have always liked the Harries technique but I don't have a gun with crimson trace's. I do not trust an under dustcover rail mount. for a laser. For a flashlight on a nightstand gun sure (they don't have to keep zero) I may have to peruse the CT sight and see what I can get for one of my pets.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 06:50   #4
bac1023

Very cool

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 06:55   #5
seanmac45
CLM Number 38
Charter Lifetime Member

I tried CT's on a Glock and they left me cold. Grabbing a 2X4 with a bulge on it sucks.

However, the CT's on 1911 pattern pistols are astoundingly comfortable and intuitive. The benefits in close quarters when you don't have the time/room to come up to a sighted stance are impressive.

Add to that the low light advantages and i can really find no downside to them.