Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-28-2012, 17:01   #1
Bruce M

Forfeiture gone too far?

I realize that the paper can sensationalize some things and has a liberal slant, but on the other hand some of the numbers and situations seem a bit unusual.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/10/2...ur-police.html
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 17:43   #2
Willard
Who, me?

Any forfeiture should be subject to due process and conviction.
Big Dawg #828, Niner #828, SubClub #828, 40 Club #828
Heart of Dixie Glockers 25A

I have opted-out of "Political Correctness".
Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 18:08   #3
DaBigBR
No Infidels!

While I definitely raise an eyebrow at an agency of 27 cops covering 2,700 people, the geography involved, and the sheer amount of cash involved, there is really not a lot of information in the article about the actual source of the cash and circumstances surrounding its seizure and forfeiture, which seems to be the typical complaint when forfeiture gets publicity.

-David Simon in "Homicide"
DaBigBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 18:34   #4
Bruce M

I am a touch curious as to how an officer from there is stationed in Southern California. I am strongly in favor of using asset seizure as a tool but perhaps slightly less supportive if it becomes the goal.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 18:40   #5
Sam Spade
Lifetime Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willard View Post
Due process, yes.

I can find no Constitutional requirement for conviction as a pre-requisite. If the people want civil hearings separate from criminal procedings, then that's acceptable.
"To spit on your hands and lower the pike; to stand fast over the body of Leonidas the King; to be rear guard at Kunu-Ri; to stand and be still to the Birkenhead Drill; these are not rational acts. They are often merely necessary." Pournelle
Sam Spade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 18:55   #6
railfancwb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Spade View Post
I can find no Constitutional requirement for conviction as a pre-requisite. If the people want civil hearings separate from criminal procedings, then that's acceptable.
Absent a conviction what is the legal justification for forfeiture? Is it the same justification an armed robber uses - I have a gun and I am taking your property?

Constitutional prohibition... What about this?

AMENDMENT IV

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Old 10-28-2012, 19:06   #7
Patchman
Florist

I know nothing about about the particulars mentioned above.

But civil forfeiture is like suing someone. Anyone can do it. The only difference here is that it's the .gov that's doing the "suing." And they have the advantage of already holding the assets.

Asset forfeiture is the same as a civil suit, that is, it's based on a a "more likely than not" standard. Same as when OJ was acquitted in criminal court for murder, but later found responsible in the civil suit. I don't remember anyone at the time crying how unfair that civil suit judgement against OJ was!

In a gunfight, even if you do everything right, you can still get killed.

Last edited by Patchman; 10-28-2012 at 19:09..
Patchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 20:09   #8
blueiron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willard View Post
Forfeiture is a civil process, not a criminal one. You are applying the rules of one to the other, as currently construed in law.
blueiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 20:10   #9
blueiron

Quote:
Originally Posted by railfancwb View Post
Absent a conviction what is the legal justification for forfeiture? Is it the same justification an armed robber uses - I have a gun and I am taking your property?

AMENDMENT IV

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

You are quoting criminal process and not civil procedure. The difference is important and dissimilar.
Old 10-28-2012, 20:14   #10
blueiron

27 officers for a town of 2,574 people is well beyond the State or national average.

Forfeiture was a staple of the 1980s to strip drug lords of their profits, but I am suspicious of that department's motivations.
Old 10-28-2012, 20:29   #11
DustyJacket
Directiv 10-289

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiron View Post
27 officers for a town of 2,574 people is well beyond the State or national average.
No kidding.
My first department was 12 full time officers and 12 part time officers for well over 18,000 people.

Last edited by DustyJacket; 10-28-2012 at 20:30..
DustyJacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 20:37   #12
Sam Spade
Lifetime Membership

Quote:

AMENDMENT IV

If this is your thinking, then you should be happy. The 4th only requires probable cause supported by oath to seize property. Civil forfeiture requires a preponderance of the evidence---a higher standard than PC---in a setting where the government's facts are subject to cross-examination.

Of course as has already been pointed out, you're applying a wholly irrelevant standard. The description of forfeiture as a lawsuit is an excellent one. The government sues to take possession of the fruits or instrumentalities of a crime. If they prove by the majority of the evidence that a thing is used in crime, or gained because of crime, they take it.

Are you going to claim that a person has a right to property that is the proceed of criminal activity?
"To spit on your hands and lower the pike; to stand fast over the body of Leonidas the King; to be rear guard at Kunu-Ri; to stand and be still to the Birkenhead Drill; these are not rational acts. They are often merely necessary." Pournelle
Old 10-28-2012, 20:48   #13
DaBigBR
No Infidels!

Quote:
The difference is a forfeiture hearing, where evidence is presented justifying forfeiture. Do not confuse seizure and forfeiture.

-David Simon in "Homicide"
DaBigBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 21:32   #14
Patchman
Florist

Quote:

AMENDMENT IV

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

"Seize" and "own" have totally different meanings?

Thank god you are one of those who can read plain english!

In a gunfight, even if you do everything right, you can still get killed.
Patchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 22:08   #15
TreverSlyFox

I've always considered "Asset Forfeiture" to be nothing more than Legalized Theft by the Government. The way it's been used in many cases hasn't changed my mind one bit.
Old 10-28-2012, 22:39   #16
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce M View Post
I am a touch curious as to how an officer from there is stationed in Southern California. I am strongly in favor of using asset seizure as a tool but perhaps slightly less supportive if it becomes the goal.
There is a very strong program in SoCal and small agencies attach their people to various Task Forces and you can get various percentages of any seizure depending on your level of involvement but there is a minimum "cut" so to speak.

It can get very lucrative if you throw a few people who are dedicated to that stuff.
lawman800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 22:52   #17
scottydl

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreverSlyFox View Post
I've always considered "Asset Forfeiture" to be nothing more than Legalized Theft by the Government. The way it's been used in many cases hasn't changed my mind one bit.
It's a genius move as far as I'm concerned. Stealing drug dealers' illegal profits, and using them to legally fund drug enforcement... I mean it doesn't get any better than that. It's like the scene in Point Break where the crooks made Keanu Reeves (a kidnapped FBI agent investigating bank robbery) come with them to rob a bank. Only he had no gun and no mask. Or something like that.

^^ Those comments are unrelated to the original post/article, which I can't seem to read because I'm not a registered user of that news site.
scottydl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:24   #18
knoxvegasdaddy
UBER VOL !!!

Of course as has already been pointed out, you're applying a wholly irrelevant standard. The description of forfeiture as a lawsuit is an excellent one. The government sues to take possession of the fruits or instrumentalities of a crime. If they prove by the majority of the evidence that a thing is used in crime, or gained because of crime, they take it. - from Sam Spade

Sam,
In your quote above, it seems you are saying that the agency is the plaintiff. I don't think that's right. In actual practice it goes more like this:

1. the seizure occurs.

2. WHETHER CHARGES ARE EVER FILED OR NOT, the seized assets AUTOMATICALLY become the property of the agency.

3. It is then up to the owner of the asset to choose to file a civil suit to recover the assets.

4. It the asset owner chooses to sue, they have the burden of hiring an attorney (and paying for it themselves) and paying the filing fees to get the case into civil court. Then they have the burden of proof, and must "prove a negative" (that the asset ISN'T from illegal activity)

5. If they lose, they are subject to paying the attorney's fees for the agency's attorneys.

6. If they win, they get their stuff back. They don't get back their time, lost time from work, or any court expenses. And, I have never heard of a judge making the agency pay the attorney's fees of the plaintiff.

In this scenario, the plaintiff loses even if they win. How is that even remotely fair?

Counting on someone else's self restraint for your safety is not a strategy. - OLY-M4gery
knoxvegasdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:28   #19
eracer
Where's my EBT?

Fair? You want fair?
Matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration; we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There is no such thing as death. Life is a dream, and we're the imagination of ourselves. And now...the weather! ---- Bill Hicks
eracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:25   #20
Sam Spade
Lifetime Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxvegasdaddy View Post
2. WHETHER CHARGES ARE EVER FILED OR NOT, the seized assets AUTOMATICALLY become the property of the agency.

3. It is then up to the owner of the asset to choose to file a civil suit to recover the assets.

4. It the asset owner chooses to sue, they have the burden of hiring an attorney (and paying for it themselves) and paying the filing fees to get the case into civil court. Then they have the burden of proof, and must "prove a negative" (that the asset ISN'T from illegal activity)

5. If they lose, they are subject to paying the attorney's fees for the agency's attorneys.

6. If they win, they get their stuff back. They don't get back their time, lost time from work, or any court expenses. And, I have never heard of a judge making the agency pay the attorney's fees of the plaintiff.

In this scenario, the plaintiff loses even if they win. How is that even remotely fair?
I'm sorry, you're wrong. Pretty much everything above is incorrect.

The government files claim and bears the burden of proof. You can see that simply by looking at the case cite: It's *always* "People v A Bunch of Stuff". And there is no "loser pays" in any civil proceeding (except when the government loses a 1983 suit and has to pay the citizen's costs).

Really, you're completely backwards here.