SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-30-2012, 01:16   #1
NEOH212
Diesel Girl

Duty ammo.

I'm sure this topic has come up before but here are my questions. These are questions for active and retired Law Enforcement officers so please don't post unless your LE please.

1. What does your department issue for duty ammo?

2. What is your issued/carried duty sidearm.

3. If you carry a bug, is the same caliber? If not, why and what ammo are you running in your bug?

4. Without going into detail, if you've ever deployed your duty ammo, are you satisfied with it's performance? Why or why not?

5. What duty round do you wish you were issued and why?

6. If you carry off duty, do you carry the same gun/ammo combination? Why or why not?

Thanks everybody!

Last edited by NEOH212; 10-30-2012 at 01:18..
NEOH212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 01:45   #2
msu_grad_121
BOOSH

1. Gold Dot in 9, 40 or 45. I carry the 200 gr. +P 45s.

2. Personally owned firearms from a pretty wide selection of quality manufacturers. Mine is a Springfield XD45 Tactical.

3. No BUG as of yet, reference answer #2 and my cheap-nicity for an explanation.

4. Never deployed it here, but years ago at my first agency, I used Federal Hi-Shoks +P+ (9BPLE) on an injured deer and had nothing but good things to say about it.

5. I'm content with the ammunition they've issued me for duty. Our firearms instructors did some pretty exhaustive research before selecting the ammo.

6. Don't carry off duty as of yet, see answer #3.
Old 10-30-2012, 02:49   #3
Sam Spade
Lifetime Membership

1. Fed tactical bonded 165gr .40
2. G22 Gen 4
3. S&W 640, 135gr Gold Dot. Used to be a matching G27, but I decided I needed something that worked from inside a pocket.
4/5. I've been able to review most shootings with the round and I'm happy with the results. One of our primary considerations was being able to get thru glass etc and the bonded is doing it.
6. Off duty is G22/Fed Tactical again, occasionally the aforementioned G27. Commonality of training and familiarity.
"To spit on your hands and lower the pike; to stand fast over the body of Leonidas the King; to be rear guard at Kunu-Ri; to stand and be still to the Birkenhead Drill; these are not rational acts. They are often merely necessary." Pournelle
Sam Spade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:12   #4
indigent
Bamboozled

1. Speer Gold Dot in the 230 gr. .45 ACP variety
2. Personally owned Springfield MC Operator
3. G26 9mm with Gold Dot 124 +P. I'd like a baby 1911, but the G26 was more affordable.
4. Never deployed it.
5. I'm happy with what I've got.
6. I carry my G26 off duty or my MC Operator depending on the situation.
Old 10-30-2012, 04:47   #5
collim1
Shower Time!

P226 in .40 issued 165g Gold Dots and mandated to carry the issued gun and duty ammo.

The dept issues 147g 9mm Gold Dot and 135g short barrel Gold Dot for BUGs and off duty, but we are not required to carry their ammo. I use their ammo for my P239 9mm off duty gun and my 442 BUG.

Have only had one shooting in many years. A round from a handgun hit a BG in the shoulder shattering the bone and he dropped the knife he was threatening officers with.
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:46   #6
Gombey

1. Winchester Ranger .40 cal. 180 grain

2. Glock 22

3. Glock 27. Speer Gold Dot 180 grain. I can't find my duty load locally. I can find the Speer. I also use it in my H&K

4. Thankfully I've never even drawn on duty. Outside of the range that is.

5. N/A

6. For the most part yes. Once in a while I strap on my HK45c loaded with Speer Gold dots. Can't remember the weight
Gombey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:06   #7
Schaffer

1. Winchester ranger in 180 gr. bought personally, don't get issued anything for part time

2. Glock 22. Able to carry anything as long as its not single action or chambered in 44/45acp

3. Glock 27 with the same ammo. Makes the most sense to me.

4. Never had to deploy it but its got good reviews and all that.

5. Happy with it. Wish I was issued stuff to shoot tho...

6. Carry the 27 the most since I'm qualified with it. Sometimes I carry my g22. Usually have a spare 15 round mag loaded with the same ammo. I have a mag in the car that I think has some hornady tap loaded in it.( ammo came when I bought the 27)

All I. All I'm happy with my set up. I'm thinking of going back to 9mm so it'll probably be a Glock 19/26 combo with the same ammo. Just in 127 gr.
Schaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:10   #8
11A

1. Federal HST 180 grain .40 S&W

2. S&W M&P

3. No backup yet

4. I have not had to yet, but those who have don't seem to have any complaints.

5. I'm fine with our ammo; my agency conducted a lot of research before selecting it, and we average over 20 OIS a year. The round seems to hold up well.

6. I carry my issued weapon or the compact off duty.
11A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:17   #9
Newcop761
CLM Number 145
Charter Lifetime Member

Federal .40 S&W 180gr HST / Speer Gold Dot 9mm 124gr

Sig P229R DAK is issued, there is a list of a few approved alternatives.

3. If you carry a bug, is the same caliber? If not, why and what ammo are you running in your bug?
Glock 26 9mm. There is a list of approved secondary/off duty weapons. I'm confident with the Glock and the gold dot is a proven round.

4. Without going into detail, if you've ever deployed your duty ammo, are you satisfied with it's performance? Why or why not?
IIRC NYPD issued the 124 gr Gold Dot and has had good results. I don't know about the Federal HST. (XM40HC)

A bonded round, like the LE40T1.

6. If you carry off duty, do you carry the same gun/ammo combination? Why or why not?
Usually the Glock 26 w/ the issued ammo.

Thanks everybody!
Old 10-30-2012, 12:28   #10
Mayhem like Me
Semper Paratus

Duty gun.

1.Glock 35

2. Duty ammo Winchester 180 grain RA-T

back up Glock 27 same ammo

Hideout 638
Ammo hornandy 110 +p critical defense.

Off Duty Sig Scorpion 45 acp
Ammo winchester RA45 TP..
All ammo agency issued

Seen all rounds perform well in shootings wish for no other carry round ,,, excpept maybe ...10mm GASP

Last edited by Mayhem like Me; 10-30-2012 at 12:29..
Mayhem like Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 13:13   #11
rockapede

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOH212 View Post
I'm sure this topic has come up before but here are my questions. These are questions for active and retired Law Enforcement officers so please don't post unless your LE please.

1. What does your department issue for duty ammo? Federal .40 165gr HST

2. What is your issued/carried duty sidearm. Glock 22

3. If you carry a bug, is the same caliber? If not, why and what ammo are you running in your bug? Nope, 9mm. All of my personally owned pistols are 9mm. It's my preference for a lot of reasons. My BUG is a Beretta Nano with 124gr +P Gold Dots.

4. Without going into detail, if you've ever deployed your duty ammo, are you satisfied with it's performance? Why or why not? On a deer, once. Worked fine.

5. What duty round do you wish you were issued and why? I'm happy with HST, especially since we still issued Federal Hydrashok as late as last year.

6. If you carry off duty, do you carry the same gun/ammo combination? Why or why not? I only carry my duty gun occasionally. Typically I carry either my Nano or Glock 19, each always with a spare mag. On a very rare occasion I'll carry both.

Thanks everybody!

Answers in red.

-Edward Conlon

Last edited by rockapede; 10-30-2012 at 13:14..
rockapede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 13:16   #12
hotpig
CLM Number 211
IAFF Local 4766

Duty G17 issued RA9T but any LE Spec is acceptable
Follow up/plain clothes work Colt 1911 issued RA45T any LE Sec acceptable
Back up/off duty Kahr CW9 issued RA9T mostly carry 147 PDX1. Right now I have Federal XM9001 but will run the new RA9B once Winchester starts making it.
Old 10-30-2012, 13:41   #13
Ohio Copper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOH212 View Post

Winchester ranger 180 grain 40s&e.

Glock 23 at one. Glock 22 at another. Same ammo issued by each. I also have a s&w m&p15x with Speer gold dots (issued).
Winchester x slugs in our Remington 870s.

Glock 27. Same issued ammo.

I'm confident with what we carry.

These work just fine.

Glock 27 off duty.

Thanks everybody!

You're welcome.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Benjamin Franklin
Quote:
Just being a federally "prohibited person" who owns guns and signatures about them on the internet should be enough to keep him paranoid."
Ohio Copper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 16:12   #14
CBennett

We used Federal some kind of Shok ones lol Hi or Hydro or some such. worked well on a deer thats about all I can say
CBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 16:38   #15
NEOH212
Diesel Girl

Thanks for all your replies everyone!

Very interesting!

Old 10-30-2012, 17:39   #16
lndshark

1. Federal HST, .40, 180 grain.

2. Springfield Armory XD40 Service.

3. No. BUG is a Kahr Arms PM9 (9mm). Issued BUG ammo is Gold Dot, 124 grain. BUG is personally-owned. I like 9mm.

4. N/A. Have only deployed previously-issued duty ammo (Gold Dot 180 grain) on roadkill.

5. Anything in 9mm or .45 ACP. I am not a fan of .40. Hopefully a change is in the works.

6. Off-duty I carry the PM9 with a spare magazine. I feel 9mm is a good fighting caliber for an off-duty encounter. I shoot very well with the PM9, am confident with my abilities using it, and trust it 100%

If we are allowed to carry personally-owned Glocks (our new boss is a Glock fan and is working on this), I will happily carry my G21SF. If/when that happens, I might procure a G36 for my BUG/OD carry. Or, I may trade my G21SF for a 4th GEN G17 and keep my PM9 for BUG/OD carry. I don't care for the ergos of the G26 but the G36 fits my hand.

Should the boss allow Glocks in .40 only (due to our surplus of duty/practice ammo), I may get a G35, but my conscious would haunt me for spending my own money on anything chambered in .40 S&W

Great topic, BTW, NEOH212!
Old 10-30-2012, 19:00   #17
Bruce M

Winchester Ranger 230 gr RA45T for the last couple years, before they bought Federal HST; USP. Winchester Ranger 127 gr +p+ RA9TA Glock 26.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.

Last edited by Bruce M; 10-30-2012 at 19:01..
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 20:09   #18
Nanuk

First I am happily retired.

1. Federal .40 HST 155 then 180 now?

2. H&K USP/c or P2000.

3. Not allowed by agency?

4. Not me, but others. It works.

5. HST is good?

6. Switched to Glocks and now to 357 Sig. because it hits with a wallop?
Nanuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 22:11   #19
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoh212 View Post
i'm sure this topic has come up before but here are my questions. These are questions for active and retired law enforcement officers so please don't post unless your le please.

Winchester ranger sxt 9mm 127 gr. +p+ or 45acp 230 gr.

Personal g34 by choice

No. J-frame airweight 38. Ammo is same brand, 38 special ranger sxt +p. If i am going to pull the bug, it's gonna have to go bang every single time and i can count on the revolver to do that, even if i have to fire it inside a pocket or on a contact shot, i can keep pulling the trigger to rotate a cylinder to a fresh round instead of worrying about a pocket auto jamming.

Never. But training/firearms section is happy with it.

I am happy with the ranger.

Yes on caliber and ammo. Mandated by policy to only carry issued ammo. No personal ammo allowed, even in personal off duty weapons, as long as it is carried on department creds.

Thanks everybody!

Answers above in bold and underline.

Last edited by lawman800; 10-30-2012 at 22:12..
lawman800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 23:35   #20
bikerdog

1. 165 gr speer gold dot issued

2. Glock 22 issued.

3. Glock 27 because it is the only bug authorized by the department. Same ammo as my primary.

4. Never used it myself but I have personally seen its affect. Overall I was impressed and am happy with the round.

5. Given the choice I would stay with the gold dots

6. Off duty carry is the 27 with duty ammo. Main reason is if I have to use it off duty my training and experience with the department could come in handy if it goes to court.

Last edited by bikerdog; 10-30-2012 at 23:36..
bikerdog is offline   Reply With Quote