GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-30-2012, 10:46   #1
lwt210

Son wants his first laptop, is this going to cut it?

Lenovo z580.

http://www.laptopmag.com/review/lapt...apad-z580.aspx

http://www.officedepot.com/a/product...ptop-Computer/

His meager budget for this laptop is around five hundred. He is saving up for it and has more than enough in his savings account but we aren't going to let him deplete that. With his Christmas cash he usually gets, he will be right at the five mark that he can spend on his new system.

He wants an I5 processor. He wants to play games on it but nothing too taxing on a laptop. Medium to low settings would be fine. He has a PS3 that he uses for games and this would be more for things like Slender and such.....things I know very little about.

Since my Lenovo netbook has been nothing but stellar, I figured I would stick with this brand and he loves my Lenovo as well...now that I have dumped some of the bloatware and tossed in 8gb of ram. So I know a tad about computers....just enough to be dangerous.

Things I have read lead me to believe that this might be a good starter lappy for him and it is within his price range.

No good? Be brutally honest if there is an issue. I have read that most gamer's entry laptops are in the four figure mark (Alienware, MSI, etc.) but I don't think I would let him spend that kind of money on his first one. He is delicate with his stuff and I think he will treat it right but my luck I let him spend a grand on it and he would drop it in a full bathtub. lol He has just hit the teen years so letting him buy one for five bills would't worry me as much as a grand.

Thanks in advance for tips and other suggestions.
Old 10-30-2012, 11:16   #2
zodiacbw

Looks like a good one. Lenovo is a respected brand and I've never heard much if anything bad about them. The core i5 and 6GB memory is going to be plenty of horsepower, but even with the Intel HD 4k, don't expect too much as far as gaming.

If he has the money or something to consider down the road would be a solid state hard drive or at the least upgrading to a 7,200 rpm drive if you have the option. Shop around, take a look at a Dell Latitude online, the Lenovo seems like a lot of computer for the money though.
Old 10-30-2012, 11:27   #3
lwt210

I suspect that he will try to push the envelope on games with this rig and be disappointed.

He plays most of his games on his PS3....lots of FPS (MW3, BF3, has Black Ops 2 on pre-order) and was using his school laptop for his little social network at school and games like Slender. The school lowered the boom on such activities and that about killed him.

I am wondering if I should make him wait until he has enough for a y series Lenovo? They seem to be better for gaming with, what I assume, is dedicated graphics. Is that the main difference?
Old 10-30-2012, 11:35   #4
zodiacbw

My latitutde has a core i7 and the nvidia nvs 4200m, unless you go with something like an Alienware (big $$) you aren't going to get a good gaming experience on a laptop. I run Portal ok, but tried MW2 I believe it was and it wasn't playable. Had I known at the time, I wouldn't have got the nvidia and a lower spec i7 chip.
Old 10-30-2012, 11:51   #5
lwt210

I will show him this thread and let him make a more informed decision. Hopefully, there will be more post that will help us make the right call.

He is not the type to save up for anything...money burns holes in his pockets and I am trying to teach him the value of saving up for things as opposed to "I want it and want it now" mentality. So this will be an important decision on many fronts.

Leaning more towards the z580 now and let him do gaming on his PS3.
Old 10-31-2012, 00:22   #6
Taphius

If he is going to game, the cheapest lenovo is probably the z585, but look at benchmarks for the a10-4600 to see if it is adequate. I have no issues turning down graphics to make things run smoother.

I just got the z585 for $499 from frys and am quite happy with it.

if he justs wants something that is slim. the u310 would be a good buy right now

Last edited by Taphius; 10-31-2012 at 00:26..
Taphius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:19   #7
Bushflyr
ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwt210 View Post
I suspect that he will try to push the envelope on games with this rig and be disappointed.
He will. "Laptop" and "games" really don't belong in the same sentence. It can be done, but it's going to cost $$$$$ and the experience isn't that great on a small screen.

Quote:
He plays most of his games on his PS3....lots of FPS (MW3, BF3, has Black Ops 2 on pre-order) and was using his school laptop for his little social network at school and games like Slender. The school lowered the boom on such activities and that about killed him.
Kid needs to learn to compartmentalize. Getting another laptop just for games is ridiculous. Or maybe he needs to learn a bit about hacking. Does his "school" laptop belong to them or you?

Quote:
I am wondering if I should make him wait until he has enough for a y series Lenovo? They seem to be better for gaming with, what I assume, is dedicated graphics. Is that the main difference?
You should probably make him wait till he can get a dedicated gaming desktop. The performance/dollar ratio is SO much better. And really, does he NEED to have a laptop level of portability in a toy?

That which does not kill you has made a tactical error. --Tayler
Bushflyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:16   #8
mikesull415

I don't game on mine, but use a program similar to auto cad for work (designing kitchen and bathroom layouts). The only thing I've found necessary for any graphics intense program is having an actual video card with dedicated memory. The intel graphics hd or whatever it's called just doesn't cut it. You don't have to go crazy with it but I'd definitely recommend something other than just the base graphics cards. If you're not worried about seeing it before you buy I highly recommend looking at www.newegg.com . Lots of options and name brands, and you can search by exactly what options you want. Lots of good reviews on the site and well trusted
mikesull415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:26   #9
mikesull415

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834246491

Slightly above the 5 mark, but no tax and free shipping. Only has 4 gb of ram but has an open slot so can easily be upgraded
mikesull415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:05   #10
lwt210

Yeah, that one looks nice.

I'll show him that one and see if I can convince him to save up his allowance to cover the difference.

Thanks for the link.
Old 10-31-2012, 12:54   #11
zodiacbw

For some good reviews of the mobile video chipsets, check out anandtech.com or tomshardware.com Don't remember which it is, but they have charts comparing the different ones.
Old 10-31-2012, 12:57   #12
MySiK26

Send a message via AIM to MySiK26

I agree with the others. If he wants to game, go desktop. I had a friend telling me the other day how his laptop, an HP "beats by DRE" model from last year (think he spent $1200+) was struggling to play Star Craft! lol. anyway, yeah if he wants portability, i can understand getting a laptop. fwiw, i have a Lenovo B575, been running it for just over a year now, it's been great for school,web, and multi-media.

also +1 for tomshardware.com and newegg.com

Last edited by MySiK26; 10-31-2012 at 12:58..
MySiK26 is offline   Reply With Quote