Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-31-2012, 09:35   #1
Jim1970
Learnin'

!*&^# Ubuntu!

Hello,

I have google this with no success. I know there are a few Linux guys here, so I thought I'd post and see if anyone could help.

I have decided to try Ubuntu on an old laptop. I went to the site, then tried to put Ubuntu on a jump drive. It appears that I am required to download and burn the .iso file first, then I can put it on a thumb drive. Is this correct?

I tried a program that said it would write to a jump drive for me, but it also appeared to need to "see" the .iso file.

Since my CD player is acting up, this need for the actual file is presenting a headache!

Thank you in advance,

Jim
Jim1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:43   #2
zodiacbw

Try unetbootin.sourgeforge.com that should help you get the flash drive setup properly.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:48   #3
Jim1970
Learnin'

Okay, I like the site. Here is a question.

I'm at work, using a desktop machine. I simply want to put something on the jump drive so I can use it later at home on the laptop.

Can I do that from the unetbootin site?

Thanks!

Jim
Old 10-31-2012, 09:52   #4
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Ubuntu's website is very very clear on how to do this.

I have to get ready to go to bed, but this should help.

First, download the appropriate Live CD ISO. You said old laptop, so I'm assuming 32bit.
http://mirror.pnl.gov/releases//prec...sktop-i386.iso

If 64bit:
http://mirror.yellowfiber.net/ubuntu...ktop-amd64.iso

Once that is downloaded (it's 700mb, so it will take a few minutes)

Simply follow these steps (make sure your thumb drive is at least 2gigs, and it WILL BE FORMATTED.. so make sure anything on there, is stored elsewhere)
http://www.ubuntu.com/download/help/...ick-on-windows

Once PenDriveLinux is done making your USB, plug the USB into your laptop, and power on. Make sure your USB drive is set to be booted "first" in the BIOS settings of the laptop. When the menu pops up, choose "Try Ubuntu without Installing" (you can still install from this option if you want to)

IGF
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"

Last edited by IndyGunFreak; 10-31-2012 at 09:53..
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:53   #5
Bushflyr
ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ

That's not an Ubuntu problem, that's a Windows problem.

And, no, you only have to burn to disk if you want to use it to boot off of and install. Since you want to boot off the USB drive you need to write the iso to a bootable USB. That's not the same as just dropping the file on the stick.

Try unetbootin, I've never had any luck with it. The easiest way to do it is probably to use the network installer, instructions HERE. Or HERE are the USB instructions. Try the network installer first.

That which does not kill you has made a tactical error. --Tayler
Bushflyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:57   #6
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushflyr View Post
That's not an Ubuntu problem, that's a Windows problem.

And, no, you only have to burn to disk if you want to use it to boot off of and install. Since you want to boot off the USB drive you need to write the iso to a bootable USB. That's not the same as just dropping the file on the stick.

Try unetbootin, I've never had any luck with it. The easiest way to do it is probably to use the network installer, instructions HERE. Or HERE are the USB instructions. Try the network installer first.
DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT USE THE WUBI INSTALLER (wubi.exe) which won't work for you anyway, because if i recall, this laptop has no OS due to a hard drive replacement

Follow the instructions I put in my post, and you'll have a working, bootable USB. As long as the laptop is capable of booting a USB, it will boot fine.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:10   #7
Jim1970
Learnin'

Thanks for all the tips.

I started to try the unetbootin option, then I read the comment that it didn't work; then I read IGF saying "don't do it!" Now trying IGF's suggestion. Please stand by!

Jim
Old 10-31-2012, 10:15   #8
Jim1970
Learnin'

Okay, so I'm still doing something wrong.

I followed IGF's suggestion, but I'm still being asked to write an .iso file to a CD. My CD player IS NOT WORKING, so this is not an option.

I downloaded the file, then I clicked on it; a screen popped up that read, "windows disk image burner." This is where I get stuck! My CD drive does not work (again, I'm on a desktop at work, so it's not my machine).

HELP!

Jim
Old 10-31-2012, 10:16   #9
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

I didn't say don't use unetbootin, I said don't use wubi (he gave you two links)

unetbootin works fine for what you want to do.

wubi, you'd mess something up on the PC you're working on most likely(thus why I stressed not to use wubi).

The instructions in my post are the official Ubuntu instructions.

OK, going to bed.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:19   #10
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1970 View Post
Okay, so I'm still doing something wrong.

I followed IGF's suggestion, but I'm still being asked to write an .iso file to a CD. My CD player IS NOT WORKING, so this is not an option.

I downloaded the file, then I clicked on it; a screen popped up that read, "windows disk image burner." This is where I get stuck! My CD drive does not work (again, I'm on a desktop at work, so it's not my machine).

HELP!

Jim
and you're still not listening.

Where did anyone say anything about clicking the ISO? Windows recognizes the ISO as a cd image, thus why you're getting a message to burn a CD when you click the ISO.

Have you successfully downloaded the ISO?
Old 10-31-2012, 10:20   #11
syntaxerrorsix
CLM Number 301
Anti-Federalist

I've used this successfully on net books with no cd drive.

http://www.linuxliveusb.com/

syntaxerrorsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:21   #12
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by syntaxerrorsix View Post
I've used this successfully on net books with no cd drive.

http://www.linuxliveusb.com/
Please don't distract him... His problem is not the tools he is using, his problem is following instructions.

Jim.. have you successfully downloaded the ISO?

Last edited by IndyGunFreak; 10-31-2012 at 10:21..
Old 10-31-2012, 10:22   #13
Jim1970
Learnin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyGunFreak View Post
and you're still not listening.

Where did anyone say anything about clicking the ISO? Windows recognizes the ISO as a cd image, thus why you're getting a message to burn a CD when you click the ISO.

Have you successfully downloaded the ISO?
Yes, I have the .iso on my desktop!
Old 10-31-2012, 10:23   #14
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Quote:
Yes, I have the .iso on my desktop!
OK... now

Download PenDrive Linux, off the link I gave you... and follow those instructions exactly.

Old 10-31-2012, 10:26   #15
Jim1970
Learnin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyGunFreak View Post
OK... now

Download PenDrive Linux, off the link I gave you... and follow those instructions exactly.

Okay, got it downloaded. Which version of Ubuntu do you recommend for someone mildly retarded?
Old 10-31-2012, 10:28   #16
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Quote:
Okay, got it downloaded. Which version of Ubuntu do you recommend for someone mildly retarded?
You already downloaded the ISO if you downloaded it from the link I put above. (you said you already have the ISO).... If you clicked the link in my previous post, then you have 12.04.

So choose 12.04 Desktop from the drop down menu
Click "Browse" and browse to the ISO you downloaded and select it.
Then choose your thumb drive from the drive selection.
Don't worry about where it says "persistence" just leave it at 0.

Then click OK, and you should see it creating the disk.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:32   #17
Jim1970
Learnin'

Bingo!

Despite the degree of denseness I offer, it looks like I was able to follow your last round of instructions successfully! I will play with it tonight when I am home.

Thank you for all your help!

Jim
Old 10-31-2012, 10:34   #18
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Quote:
Bingo!

Despite the degree of denseness I offer, it looks like I was able to follow your last round of instructions successfully! I will play with it tonight when I am home.

Thank you for all your help!

Jim
No prob... Sorry if I sounded curt...I'm exhausted right now(i'm usually extremely patient, obviously my exhaustion got the better of me..)..lol.

I'm off tomorrow if you need some help poking around Ubuntu, getting wireless working, etc.

Now I'm really going to bed.

IGF
Old 10-31-2012, 14:31   #19
Jim1970
Learnin'

Update

Brought laptop back from home after lunch. Just to be clear - this isn't the same Toshiba I mentioned in a previous thread where the hard drive was corrupt (got that one back - several bad sectors - going to buy a replacement drive and try to make ubuntu work on that one too). This is a Toshiba Satellite A135. It has a 1.73 GHz Intel CPU with 2 gig ram. Machine runs fine, just a bit slow. And, it has Vista on it - so I'm happy to make it my "learn Ubuntu" machine. Anyway, got the thumb drive ready to go, only to find out that this machine won't boot to a USB.

This project seems to be a continual headache! Maybe it's a sign I shouldn't try Ubuntu??

Guess I will download the .iso to this machine, then burn it to a CD, then install it from there. Just wanted to "try" rather than 100% commit right out of the gate.

Thanks again,

Jim
Old 10-31-2012, 15:21   #20
captainstormy

Send a message via ICQ to captainstormy Send a message via AIM to captainstormy Send a message via Yahoo to captainstormy
Granted its been a while since I've used Ubuntu but I believe their disks are Live CDs. Meaning you can boot it and run the OS from it to give it a shot.

It will be pretty slow though. Also you can use the system, but you can't do anything that would typically write to the hard drive like you could with a usb drive. Well I think it will let you do it, but since its all in ram when you reboot the changes are lost.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2