SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-31-2012, 09:57   #1
G27Chief
Lifetime Membership

Nano BUG

I must admit I've never been a real fan of the triple rings and arrows brand on my defensive firearms. The only real experience I have with Beretta is with the excellent little Model 21-A and the Model 84. However a recent trade brought me to a new appreciation of the centuries old arms maker. I have always been a two gun cop; it is just added insurance for the street. I however differ in opinion from most in a second gun. It must be capable of 25 yard shots, and fast to get into action while being small and concealable. To say I have experience with "pocket" guns is to say that Delta flies a little. I have owned, tried or tested out every little revolver, auto and even derringer that has come out of the respectable manufactures in the last 25 years. Only a few have been kept, the issues usually being the mass and weight, to great for my comfort. My want to be 6 pack abs of my early 20's has now developed into a super keg. 18 months of steroids coupled with cornbread and peas will do that. Now figure in this, with hot South Gajaw summers and it creates an issue for concealment. Skinny guys buy larger shirts to conceal, for me that would require a lot more money and special order clothes.

Over the years my main back up has been a 2" .38; however I have changed with the times, and find the modern technology mixed with capacity to be a winner. I still keep the .38's around, but now carry a slimmer little powerhouse. The Beretta Nano is a little bulldog of a gun, a simple design free of any protruding levers it makes the pocket gun all others should strive to be. The 9 mm with a 6 + 1 capacity, has a overall length of 5.63" which allows for an adequate 3.07" barrel all contained in a 17.67 ounce package less than 1" thick.

Initially I dismissed the natural appeal I have for all such small respectable caliber for me, pistols as impulse. However upon handling the Nano, I found the ergonomics to suit me far better than similar handguns. I have large hands (XXL glove size) however the feel of the grip was natural with my little finger hanging free below the magazine.

After a little haggling I walked away with the best end of the trade in my opinion, a Nano in the box, 2 magazines and a grin on my face from winning the haggle.

Upon arriving home, I read all I could find on the ever present reviews online and yes I even read the gloom and despair posts about the failures and overall dissatisfaction. I have never allowed the negative posts to sway me in the past, chalking it up to personal opinions, and the rarity of production impurities that plague any industry.

I rode out to the range with some 124 and 115 grain ball ammo, a sorted variety of hydra shock, HST and 12 of the Hornady Extreme Duty +P offerings. After 150 rounds of the ball ammo to acclimate myself to the Nano's sights and recoil, I fired the hollow point rounds, finishing off with two mags of the Critical Duty. I found the draw to be easy with the excellent shaped grip, and my rounds fell to point of aim. I was impressed!

I am not easily impressed with firearms, my experience over my life since early childhood has caused me to be somewhat reserved. Trying new guns has led me down pathways of elation or disgust. It is rare I find myself drawn to a weapon so quickly, I have to say in my opinion Beretta got this one right. I have chosen a DeSantis Nemisis pocket holster, and a Comp-Tac that I heated and reshaped that was orginally intended for a Walther CCP. Hopefully more holster makers will offer up options as 2013 rolls along.

Stay safe!

G27Chief
Old 10-31-2012, 10:14   #2
rockapede

I've been carrying a Nano for several months now and love it. I've had exactly one failure at this point (out of probably 800 or so rounds) and that was a stovepipe with TulAmmo steel case during very rapid fire. I've never been able to replicate it with decent brass ammo and I'm not worried about it. The gun fits me well (other than an oddly high bore axis, which I've gotten used to) and carries very, very well. 'Tis a keeper. I'm gonna pick up at least one 8 round extended mag whenever they finally come in stock.

-Edward Conlon
rockapede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 13:38   #3
Hack
Gold Membership
Crazy CO

Send a message via AIM to Hack Send a message via Yahoo to Hack
Interesting post. Thanks.
Bureau of Prisons or the Department of Justice."
In God we trust, all others we monitor.
Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 13:54   #4
collim1
Shower Time!

Good call carrying a BUG.
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 16:33   #5
rockapede

Quote:
Originally Posted by G27Chief View Post
I am not easily impressed with firearms, my experience over my life since early childhood has caused me to be somewhat reserved. Trying new guns has led me down pathways of elation or disgust. It is rare I find myself drawn to a weapon so quickly, I have to say in my opinion Beretta got this one right. I have chosen a DeSantis Nemisis pocket holster, and a Comp-Tac that I heated and reshaped that was orginally intended for a Walther CCP. Hopefully more holster makers will offer up options as 2013 rolls along.

Stay safe!

G27Chief
Check out Theis Holsters as well: they make both IWB and OWB holsters for the Nano. I've got a Theis cowhide IWB holster that's similar to a Crossbreed Supertuck. Great price, holster, and service.

-Edward Conlon

Last edited by rockapede; 10-31-2012 at 16:34..
rockapede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 17:02   #6
Dragoon44
Lifetime Membership
Unfair Facist

What no pics???

Old 10-31-2012, 19:10   #7
G27Chief
Lifetime Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoon44 View Post
What no pics???

Sorry about that old man, now make dang sure you put your specs on and enjoy!

[IMG]Cop Talk Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

Old 11-01-2012, 07:35   #8
Dragoon44
Lifetime Membership
Unfair Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by G27Chief View Post
Sorry about that old man, now make dang sure you put your specs on and enjoy!

I had to print them out and put them under the microscope.

Nice pistola,
Old 11-01-2012, 08:41   #9
Bruce M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoon44 View Post
I had to print them out and put them under the microscope.

Nice pistola,
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote